• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can also do bair/fair (you're going to be landing those aerials at 0% a lot more than nair) -> nair -> nair/dash attack -> fair finish, or ftilt -> fair finish. Basically, you're mostly going to be using nairs, dash attacks, ftilts, and fair to finish, everything else isn't that good (I'm pretty sure you can chain bairs, but I wouldn't do it).

Dingus

Smash Cadet
1) What exactly are disjointed hitboxes and why do I care? They generally are referenced as an advantage, but I dont understand why they are a good thing?

2) In videos of good fox players I often see the following sequence: dash->pivot->jab Is there some trick to doing this properly without dashing back and without doing a smash attack accidentally?

Thanks

DMoogle

A$
1. Disjointed hitboxes is a term for hitboxes that are not perfectly aligned with hurtboxes. For example, Pika's u-air has a hugely disjointed hitbox, because if an opponent attacks his tail, the Pika won't get hurt. However, contrast with a move such as Kirby's u-air, which isn't disjointed at all. The reason disjointed hitboxes is a good thing is that it allows you to space yourself much more easily by limiting your exposure to your opponents' moves.
2. If you're using a smash attack, you're probably holding the control stick for too long after pivoting. Try practicing pivoting without attacking, then play with the timing of the grab and the release of the control stick until you get it right.

kenshen

Smash Journeyman
hey guys its me again does any one know the precise brawl weigh value of the n64 characters?

Sangoku

Smash Master
I don't know why you need all these values, but we've already told you that all we knew was in the thread by antd. In other words we don't know much.

kenshen

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why you need all these values, but we've already told you that all we knew was in the thread by antd. In other words we don't know much.
because i want to hack brawl to be smash 64 with more stages and characters simalr to project m

Battlecow

Play to Win
He's part of the Brawl 64 team, right?

The only resources we have are Antdgar's data and the frame data thread, plus whatever tidbits house and co. have dropped.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Did you PM House like I suggested? He might be only be able to help you with frame data, though, IDK.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
is there a difference between pj64k and pj64? i couldn't get the download from the index's link to work properly..."file not found" whenever i tried to load the rom. so i downloaded pj64 from the actual site and i moved all plugins and kaillera files over from my pj64k folder to the new one, finally got my controller configurated and everything works fantastic except my c-buttons don't work. any idea why? controller was slow so i changed default analog stick range to 100% deadzone to 0% and threshold to 0%. i'm using n-rage's direct-input8 1.61(controller plugin) btw, and an oem controller with usb converter...

oh yeah...and how do you actually play online? i've got the emulator set up, i can play by myself...but that's not what i went through all of this for.

edit: got the c-button problem figured out. i meant to say i put the threshold at 100%, because i did, but then i found out it should be closer to 0...

ballin4life

Smash Hero
AFAIK pj64 is not the same as pj64k. the k stands for "kailera" which is the client used to play online. So you need project64k.

try googling it? I'm surprised the index link doesn't work. there should be multiple links because people had different pj64k setups

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
ok that makes sense. but trying the 64k link again...it opens fine, but then i try to load the rom and the window pops up, then a box pops up that says Project64k.exe has encountered an inconvenience and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. etc etc. hm. i'll look around for some other links that might work. but the two on the index page...one wasn't available anymore the other had the problem just described. i wonder if it's not a problem with the download, but with my computer maybe... damn it. i don't know enough about computers to try and diagnose this problem.

Sangoku

Smash Master
It's not a problem of the emu, it works fine on my comp (I tried dling it in the index a few days ago). Maybe it's the ROM? You're sure to have chosen the ROM directory correctly?
Concerning the controller problem, I know you said it was fixed, but I still wanted to remind you to calibrate it in windows before using it.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
ok that makes sense. but trying the 64k link again...it opens fine, but then i try to load the rom and the window pops up, then a box pops up that says Project64k.exe has encountered an inconvenience and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. etc etc. hm. i'll look around for some other links that might work. but the two on the index page...one wasn't available anymore the other had the problem just described. i wonder if it's not a problem with the download, but with my computer maybe... damn it. i don't know enough about computers to try and diagnose this problem.
Use p64kVE for windows 7 if that's the case, there a different version of the pj64 for different OS, Which one are you using.

Also, try changing your video plugins settings/configuration and the plugin itself in order to prevent that message to popup.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
i'm using xp, and i downloaded the proper one for xp...can you explain to me how exactly i calibrate my controller? it seems to work just fine now, as far as i can tell.

when i tried the link in the index, and i loaded it up, it already had a super smash bros rom inside 64k, so i assumed it had chosen its rom directory already even though when i went to the rom folder it was empty. but then i tried putting a rom in that folder and setting it as my directory and it still didn't work...it "encountered a problem."

edit:yeah so this is what happens...dl 64k, load it up, it shows screen with super smash bros rom, try to load rom, "file not found" dl rom elsewhere, put into (previously) empty roms folder, change rom directory, load up again..."has encountered an inconvenience and needs to close." goshdamned inconveniences.

edit again: the pj64 that comes with the 64k package doesn't work either, same error message.

would there be a way to convert pj64 to pj64k by, say, dragging the kaillera files and 64k shortcut into the pj64 folder?

AAAAAAAAAAH that did it! apparently it was having issues with glide64, so i changed the video plugin to jabo's direct 3d6 1.4 and it works now...fantastic.

are the cpus harder in 1) the japanese version or 2) the emulator? or has it just been a long time since i've played?

another problem: i seem to have no hand or or character-selecting disc. it shows until i move the joystick then disappears. still works, but i can't see it. hm. on some of the emulators i can't even open the p2 box to put in a cpu.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
i'm using xp, and i downloaded the proper one for xp...can you explain to me how exactly i calibrate my controller? it seems to work just fine now, as far as i can tell.
To calibrate, go to control panel and then under the Hardware and Sound category, select view devices and printers. It may be different on XP and this is for 7, but you should be able to find it. In there, you'll need to right click your USB gamepad, select Game Controller Settings, select the controller and hit properties. Under the settings tab you can configure it. Keep in mind that this is for Windows 7, but should be somewhat similar in XP.

when i tried the link in the index, and i loaded it up, it already had a super smash bros rom inside 64k, so i assumed it had chosen its rom directory already even though when i went to the rom folder it was empty. but then i tried putting a rom in that folder and setting it as my directory and it still didn't work...it "encountered a problem."
Do not click the ROMs when you download a fresh copy of pj64k. What you see there is the ROM directory of the person who uploaded it. Unless you're connected to a network with that person and have access to their files (you don't), you will receive an error.

Instead, Refresh ROM Directory, everything will disappear, and create a new ROM directory with the SSB ROM inside of it. If nothing appears in the list, refresh the ROM directory again and give that a try.

would there be a way to convert pj64 to pj64k by, say, dragging the kaillera files and 64k shortcut into the pj64 folder?
No, this will not work. The source code of pj64 has been altered to allow for a Netplay option, and what you're suggesting won't do it.

are the cpus harder in 1) the japanese version or 2) the emulator? or has it just been a long time since i've played?
They should be the same, I'd imagine. There are only subtle differences in each character.

another problem: i seem to have no hand or or character-selecting disc. it shows until i move the joystick then disappears. still works, but i can't see it. hm. on some of the emulators i can't even open the p2 box to put in a cpu.
This is a graphics plugin problem. 1.4 is outdated, and you need to upgrade to 3D8 1.6.

Here, download this, delete all other video plugins in your plugin folder, and drop this bad boy in there.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tq3syp3h2yh3sqb

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
[COLLAPSE=To Banana Jack]
Also, try changing your video plugins settings/configuration and the plugin itself in order to prevent that message to popup.

AAAAAAAAAAH that did it! apparently it was having issues with glide64, so i changed the video plugin to jabo's direct 3d6 1.4 and it works now...fantastic.
You're welcome.[/COLLAPSE]

And I think that last problem you mentioned is still rilated to the plugins you choosed, or your video card capacity, try changing your plugins again to see which one works best for you.

EDITED: Do what Sempiternity says and you should be ok.
His post appeared while I was still writing. :D

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
well the way i got it to work was by switching to mupen 64k...and everything worked awesome but the pipes in mushroom kingdom were diagonal. which bothered me. so switch back to project 64k, do what you tell me, BAM! it's like magic. thanks! so now everything works fine except i don't quite understand how the netplay works...how to i actually connect to a game? and for p2p, would i have to set up in advance with someone else that knows my ip and i know theirs? that's what it sounds like from all these threads i'm reading...
i didn't quite understand what it wanted me to do when clicked on p2p from the dropdown, so i went back to server and picked galaxy and clicked connect...and nothing happened.
i do have a little box(like a minimized window) on my taskbar that says connected to whatever...but when i click on it still nothing happens.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
well the way i got it to work was by switching to mupen 64k...and everything worked awesome but the pipes in mushroom kingdom were diagonal. which bothered me. so switch back to project 64k, do what you tell me, BAM! it's like magic. thanks! so now everything works fine except i don't quite understand how the netplay works...how to i actually connect to a game? and for p2p, would i have to set up in advance with someone else that knows my ip and i know theirs? that's what it sounds like from all these threads i'm reading...
i didn't quite understand what it wanted me to do when clicked on p2p from the dropdown, so i went back to server and picked galaxy and clicked connect...and nothing happened.
i do have a little box(like a minimized window) on my taskbar that says connected to whatever...but when i click on it still nothing happens.
I hate when that happens <_<

So what you do is right click on the little box that says connected and select "Maximize" and then I'm sure if you click the restore button, the kaillera window should be back to normal and then you can resize the window to your liking

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
fantastic! that worked. for some reason i can't actually resize it it just stays fullscreen but i'm fine with that. it seems none of my local servers have any smash games going on though...

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Hey I play falcon and I'm having trouble against fox. I was wondering what are some good ways to finish off a fox at high percentages? I normally B-air / Bthrow to edgeguard but on hyrule sometimes its difficult to get them off far enough.

Also, what are some good combos for me to practice on fox. I also have trouble getting combos off when fox isnt at 0% when i grab him. If i for a fthrow -> u air chain, i always seem to mess up (they go too high from KB or i dont have another jump) before i can upB or something to finish with somesort of edgeguard.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Hey I play falcon and I'm having trouble against fox. I was wondering what are some good ways to finish off a fox at high percentages? I normally B-air / Bthrow to edgeguard but on hyrule sometimes its difficult to get them off far enough.

Also, what are some good combos for me to practice on fox. I also have trouble getting combos off when fox isnt at 0% when i grab him. If i for a fthrow -> u air chain, i always seem to mess up (they go too high from KB or i dont have another jump) before i can upB or something to finish with somesort of edgeguard.
Try Fthrow > Fair > Regrab/Usmash
Or Fthrow > Usmash (> Usmash) > Uair

At 0%, you can also go for Fthrow > Fthrow if you want but it's not your best option.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Also:
Fthrow -> SH-Uair -> Usmash -> SH-Uair -> Uair x 2 -> upB

And a lot of variations could be applied to this simple combo.

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
cool thanks. Any one know what characters Fthrow -> charged DK punch works on?

I know it can be done on other DK and jiggly so far

ballin4life

Smash Hero
for falcon combos personally i like to keep usmash to a minimum (try to only use it directly after an fthrow at 0%) because it will hit the opponent too high and then all you can do really is an uair or two into upB. Also I dislike fair and prefer nair. That's just me though.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
What's a good controller configuration for an Xbox 360 controller? I'm starting online play but nothing has been comfortable so far in terms of a setup.
There's really not much you can do. I just made A the A-button and X the B-button. B and Y are C-buttons.

I find the left trigger much more comfortable than the left button for z-cancelling, but since you can't adjust the threshold of the variable trigger with any input plugins (haven't tried the new Xinput option for the NRage beta 2.2), I calibrated my controller and made the triggers VERY sensitive so I wouldn't have to press them all the way down for the button to register.

So, left trigger is the Z-button, the right button is grab. I found that the way I hold it when smashing, my right finger tends to the button, rather than the trigger, for grabs. It flows better for me.

Made the right trigger the L-button for some easy mid combo taunt cancelling.

Top Bottom