• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Robbie_L

Smash Rookie
Can someone explain what a 12-character battle is? The concept of that intrigues me, and I don't have the patience to watch and figure it out by myseld

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Can someone explain what a 12-character battle is? The concept of that intrigues me, and I don't have the patience to watch and figure it out by myseld
I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but the bottom line is that each player gets five lives for each character, and the lives (not damage) carry over from game to game.

So, for example, the first game ends with A beating B and ending with 2 lives. The next game, B chooses a new character, and A plays with the previous character, suiciding until he has the 2 lives left over from the previous game, at which point they begin playing again, and the process repeats itself.

Now, what I'm not clear on is how changing the stage, or the winner choosing a new character works. Maybe if the loser opts to pick a different stage, the winner can counterpick a different character?

If somebody could enlighten me as to the order this all goes, that would be great. Like, does the loser pick his new character, then picks a new stage, and THEN the winner has the opportunity to pick a new character?

dandan

Smash Lord
if the loser decides to change a stage, the winner can change chars, otherwise, he should stick to the char he won with.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Q: What are the criteria for the audience chanting/cheering during a match?

I suspect it's got something to do with wall hits, as tent combos seem to procure the most applause. Recoveries from down low (the point where you hear the drooping noise?) also spark OOOOs and AHHHs from the crowd. Anything else?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think it's mostly the oohs and ahhs from the crowd. Tent combos are good for this because you can string a lot of moves with decent knockback together.

:phone:

Is there a way to remove the phone thing from automatically appearing whenever I post with a phone? It's getting on my nerves.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Smash runs at 60 fps on console, right?

Some melee scrubs told me today that it ran at thirty (as in, same speed, but half as many frames) even though it runs at 60 on emu.

I kind of lol'd at them and was very sure for a great number of reasons that this was not the case, but then they checked smashwiki and it said the same.

And yes, smashwiki is wrong more often than it's right, but I'd still like confirmation.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
NTSC = 60FPS
PAL = 50FPS

Unless I'm mistaken, correct me someone if I'm wrong.
Eh, not in every game. I have also heard the same for SSB64, about it being 30, but I've no way to confirm that, as the emulator says 60. (I'm quite positive it does run at 60fps, btw.)

But not every game runs at 60 or 50 or whatever. For example, Majora's Mask is a very intensive game, and so runs at a mere 20fps. However, Smash is very light on resources (same applies for Melee), so there is absolutely no reason it should run any lower than 50/60.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I was talking about Smash 64 specifically, sorry for being unclear.

After playing both PAL and NTSC version thanks to James, NTSC definitely feels 60 FPS, similar enough to offline emulator. I've never heard of it being 30 FPS.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
Certain games will run at a fixed framerate instead of a constant 60fps. Example of this would be Mario party games and Mario kart 64, they all run at 30fps constant of 60fps like ssb.

Michael0731

Smash Rookie
Need Help

When I join an online game, I can't move my mouse cursor at all. And same goes for someone who joins my game. Also i can't see my mouse cursor at all when selecting a character making it very hard to pick one. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks

Hiphiphooray

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone have advice for me on how to time my jumps when playing? I've been playing with cfalcon and pika, and it just seem hard enough to chain more than 2 u-airs with falcon and with pika it seems near impossible.

How many u-airs should i be able to get off consistently with falcon on all character? Right now, i can only really f-throw, 1-2 u-airs. on heavies, i can get 2-3 u-airs and upB.

Also, if you have any good methods to practice the advice it would be great

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hello! So with falcon, against heavies (falcon dittos) do the following: grab, run upsmash, then full hop uair (jump with the joystick, so you already have up tilted) twice without second jumping. When you land, redo the same thing (full hop uair twice). Then when you land again, full hop uair, second jump and upb. This is the easiest combination I found =D. This makes 5 uairs plus upb.

Against lighties, it's a bit harder I guess. For example against pikachu, what you can do is grab, run short hop uair, you land, full hop double uair (like against falcon), you land, full hop uair, second jump uair, upb. 5 uairs too yay.

Just go to training mode against either falcon or pika (or whoever actually) on hyrule and grab them from the right (assuming you're player 1) and combo them to the left.

With pikachu it's a lot harder. I think you have to be able to short hop double uair. I think you'd better start easier combos with him such as uptilts juggles to bair.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
short hop double uair is not very useful for pika combos

hiphophooray i don't really know what you're actually doing without a video, but watch some youtube videos of good players and see how they use falcon/pika uairs.

Sangoku

Smash Master
He meant for uair chains with pika. The point is that you have to be able to short hop uair very quickly (by sliding for example), which would allow to sh double uair. So even if you don't need that (since you're in the air while chaining them), you still have to be able to have the same first input. Tell me if I'm wrong, which is probable since I rarely uair chain with pika.

And yeah hiphiphooray, whatch ballin's combo vid for a good example of pika uair chains and watch old boomfan vids (when he played a rather non-campy falcon è_é) to see some uair combos with falcon.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Meh, you don't really need to button slide to do pika uair chains. Just utilt until they are high enough so you can jump uair without button sliding.

Although you can use sh double uair, the vast majority of the time it's not like you NEED to do it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
IDK ballin

In a lot of Isai pika vids, he does uair chains on sem-floaties with short hop double uairs

But you often need to jump sideways to do those, and I am bad at doing double uairs with a shorter short hop

But I think short hop double uair IS useful if you can do those

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I agree that they can be useful sometimes. What I'm doing a horrible job of getting across here is that you don't NEED to learn how to do sh double uair to do pika uair chains. at all.

Battlecow

Play to Win
So for a hori minipad adapter, should I get the N64 to USB or the GC/N64 to USB? Or do they both work? The N64-only one is a bit cheaper, but it doesn't emphasize hori compatibility like the GC/n64 one (although it does mention it).

Edit: NVM I got the N64 one.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I found a really good deal on Ebay. They usually sell for like $60 and above, but everyone in my crew got ours for like $25 apiece (might've been a bit more? I forget)- I guess people just don't check Ebay for good hori-minipad offers often enough.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Im interested in buying a hori-minipad. Because of the good joystick. But the problem I see is that it is so small. I would probably get wrist damage because of my large hands.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I have pretty big hands. Works fine for me. I've never heard anyone say it was a problem for them, just small-hand people saying that it might be a problem for big-handed people.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I have pretty big hands. Works fine for me. I've never heard anyone say it was a problem for them, just small-hand people saying that it might be a problem for big-handed people.
I personally never tried it so I dont know. Ive just heard that it can be a problem since you kind of must bend your wrists a bit. But the joystick probably would make up for it anyways.

Top Bottom