• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
yeah i do but i always wondered about that. what is an 'excellent' or 'good' connection?
Excellent or Good connection is a setting that tells your computer how many packets per second you're gonna send to the server. The more packets you send, the less delay you get. The only drawback is that there's a higher chance of desynchronization. Though, I think you're good if your connection is solid.

LAN = 60 packets
Excellent = 30 packets
Good = 20 packets

Having less delay is ideal for anyone that plays games online.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
You need internet as well :troll:

Actually, to make your online experiences as less bumpy as possible, make sure to have a good internet connection. Remember, wifi is bad, ethernet is good :psycho:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
ill worry about that later, but for i now i still dont even know how to dowload it! i download project 64, and than you need some other software to open it or something. wtf is this!

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
can anyone recommend some falcon combos? i have trouble making up "new" comboes and im becoming one of those uair upB falcons... all i got other than uair upB is the fair uair upB. i just picked up pivoting too so feel free to throw me any comboes on any character... i just want more versatility..

also on a sidenote: im having some trouble with my hori, if you have it tilted the slightest bit it wont let me jump with the c-buttons and it seems to mess me up alot. anyone else have this problem?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
google is my enemy. are there any threads with detailed discriptions on the whole process because the links dont really do much for me. Superboom. you need the relax. go take a nap or something.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
google is my enemy. are there any threads with detailed discriptions on the whole process because the links dont really do much for me. Superboom. you need the relax. go take a nap or something.
Oh my god. How have you survived on the internet without knowing how to deal with .rar files?

It also sounds like you've never downloaded anything in your life, what with all the confusion about saving/opening the file...

Anyway, download this: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920.exe

If you have a 64-bit Windows (why do I even bother asking?), download this: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920-x64.msi

Now, when wait the five seconds for the scourgeforge website, you might get a pop up. Choose to save the file to your computer. Save it to your desktop if you have the option to choose a directory.

Double click on it to install and follow the instructions until fully installed.

Now, download the PJ64 file. It'll have a .zip or .rar or .7z extension. This is perfectly normal. Again, choose to save the file. If you can't save to desktop, then it'll save to Users>YourName>Downloads.

Right click on the "archive", navigate to the 7 Zip menu item, and choose Extract Here. It'll then open up the .rar, .zip. or .7z file so you can use it.

Methinks you're gonna need way more tutorials beyond this, but this is how you download everything you need to get started.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Or you could just get WinRar. WinRar says there's a 40 day trial limit but it never expires rofl.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Look, not everyone has to be a computer geek as well as a gamer geek. We will never get any new players if you guys are all ***holes to them.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I'm completely fine with helping new players, but it might help if they weren't *******s to us first.

On top of that, if he's having trouble at this point, what the hell do you think is going to happen if he has delay problems, or other general p64k errors? Failing to initialise jump table, etc.

I'm with Glowworm. I think Kero and someone else should just download Crossloop if this continues =/

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I dunno, as much as I like new players in the community, if you barge your pompous *** in here, acting like a prick, you deserve the same right back at ya.

This isn't some job where the customer is always right.

Battlecow

Play to Win
His arrogance was understandable; he's never met anyone better than him at smash. He's *slowly* growing more humble, and I think that if we're complete pricks to people who haven't spent their entire lives in front of a computer screen but have filled their time instead with wholesome activities in front of a TV screen, very few people will ever "barge in" here- and I, for one, would be saddened by that.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Pretty much agree with battlecow about being nice and helpful to new players.

Although on the other hand it is true that if someone is having trouble with just DLing PJ64k they are going to go nuts when they forget to uncheck raw data or whatever.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Your choice I guess, but I'm not going to feel obligated to hold someones hand to set up the game they are supposedly the best in the world at after they just waltzed in here claiming they're top ****. However, I will agree with you that we should not be pricks to them, which I have been, and for that I'm sorry.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
hey guys, lissen, i realize now that i came off as a major duchebag when i started on here, but battlecows right. you have to realize that i had noo idea this much people played. for so long, i thougt i was the best only because of my lack of knowledge of the smash community. I know its really annoying when i ask about all the downloads and ****. butt prior to a few weeks ago, i would only use the computer for facebook/youtube/google etc.. i have no idea what things like winrar and rom are. im new to all of it. i'll eventuallyy learn how to work project 64 and all of that, but i would hope that you guys might putt up with the computer nube in the mean time... i know some of you have defended me or have helped me on here, and i greatly appreciate it. Thank you. But more importantly, i really do want to apoligize to the people ive offended. Im sorry for the way i acted, none of it was personal, i promise. I was extremely arogantt, and i shouldent have been. i know that right now im that guy who talks alot of **** and doesent back it up. But i promise when i figure all this outt, i will play you guys. and hopefully you wont be totattly diapointed with my "have never played online" abilities.

Thank you.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Well, I'm a victim of a media-inspired technophobia as well, so here's the circuitous but simple path I always follow:

download PJ64k 0.13 (5th link down on this page: http://pj64k.blogspot.com/p/about-pj64k.html) Hopefully your computer will unzip it for you or you can do that it's really easy just right click on it and hit "extract" or "unzip" or whatever IDK. Then (if you're running windows vista or 7) download the graphics plugin you need ("Jabo's direct3d8 1.6") by going here: http://www.4shared.com/file/Ik_MREdQ/Jabo_Direct3D8.html and clicking the blue button that says "download now" and waiting twenty seconds and then clicking "download file now."

Here's the kinda tricky part. go into the pj64k you downloaded, find your graphics plugin in the plugins folder (should be like Jabo's direct3d7) and then rename it to anything else (to rename it you can just right click and hit rename) then rename the Jabo's you just downloaded to whatever that one was named before you renamed it. Easy enough. Then move the Jabo's you just renamed into the plugins folder.

Get yourself a ROM, and BAM! you're ready for action, although you don't have a controller yet.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
yoo battlecow, the jaco thing didnt have a download link so i just saved it to mydesk top. i hope that works. But theres too jaco 327's which one should i choose?
and why arent you at school lol.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
can anyone recommend some falcon combos? i have trouble making up "new" comboes and im becoming one of those uair upB falcons... all i got other than uair upB is the fair uair upB. i just picked up pivoting too so feel free to throw me any comboes on any character... i just want more versatility..
Forbid yourself from doing Uair to UpB.

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
I've been reading posts on the hori pad and am really interested in buying one. I do not play online so the issues I've seen on that matter don't apply to me. I was, however, wondering if the z button would hinder parrying with my main, yoshi.

Banana Jack

Smash Cadet
by the way kero, besides the important files in the index thread, further down the thread there's a section on online play...i don't know if you found that or not but it has some links that should walk you through the process. if you still need help. it's got some thread links in there too that can help once you get everything set up...desynch discussion and p2p setup are in there.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
really? great. im almost done setting it up. but it should deffinitelly serve as a positive. thanks alot man.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
Forbid yourself from doing Uair to UpB.
ive tried but i cant seem to connect anything other than fairs/bairs. ive kind of got bair, bair, uair. thanks for the response though.

I've been reading posts on the hori pad and am really interested in buying one. I do not play online so the issues I've seen on that matter don't apply to me. I was, however, wondering if the z button would hinder parrying with my main, yoshi.
it took me about one full day of getting used to but i also play emulator and use an xbox controller(set up like a hori) and its not very hard at all.

dandan

Smash Lord
can anybody tell me what i'm actually supposed to enter into the "tcp ports to open"/"udp ports to open" boxes when setting up p2p?
the port from and to should use the port of your choice, just put 27888 or 27886 in both.
smash needs udp alone. but it does not harm to set it up as both tcp and udp.
the ip to forward it to should be the internal ip of your pc, you can find it by running ipconfig in commandline and copying the IPv4 address.

hope that helped.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
thanks! ive been looking at all the combo vids around recently and i totally forgot about yours.... -___-'' will start practicing.
Yup, there are lots of good combo videos to get ideas from. Then it's just experimenting to see what works.

Yeah, of course.

Ballin' has good combos. You should watch the other parts of that video.
I was going to make this exact post pretty much (no they aren't level 9s and you should watch the other parts).

At least this way I don't look like I'm self promoting as much :laugh:

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
yo ballen, i watched alot of your videos. you are a smash bros fiend! good **** bro! your fox video was insane.

Battlecow

Play to Win
He was unimpressed by Isai's speed and combos. Also he thought playing all the characters was a neat trick, but it meant nothing to him because he was simply the best.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
i thought we established that i only said those things to get his attention-______- however i found your videos alot more entertaining than isais.

Top Bottom