• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread (Online Discussion Q&A, GO HERE BEFORE POSTING)

Kantō

Smash Champion
the online brawl is iffy sometimes i get a good match other times i cant even play because of the lag

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I still personally reccommend playing wifi. If you have a good connection and play through friend code exchange the majority of the matches you play can have little lag. After a while you become adjusted to both online and offline.

Also imo it's a good way to improve: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232380

Edit: But seeing that you live in London it might be difficult to get a good connection with a lot of players.

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Well I Have A Strange Situation And Need Advice On What To Do... So Here It Goes.

I Used To Have Verizon And Had A Wireless Router And Played Wifi Wirelessly No Problem

But Recently Since We Got Fed Up With Verizon.. We Switched To Comcast.

Comcast Is Great And All But I Don't Have A Wireless Router Anymore...

And I Know About The LAN Adapter Thinger.. But There Is Only 1 Ethernet Plug In The Router...

So That Means I Can Only Do One Thing.. Play Wii Or Go On Computer...

Which Is Not Good For My Family At All.. I Could Always Get A Crappy Cheap Router But I'm Not Sure...

Advice Please? :]

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
1st you should rearrange it so we can actually read it. Too many spaces :mad:

Edit: You can get a Wifi USB adapter or a seperate wireless router to plug in to the modem. With that you can go on wifi and go on the enternet at the same time.

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Could You Explain The Seperate Wireless Router Idea A Little Bit More, I Think I Understand But I Need To Make Sure.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
You can buy them for at pretty much any electronic store, Walmart, Target, etc. Or online. You plug it into the port on your comcast modem, and then there are slots on the router where you plug the computer into. Since it's wireless you can use the internet at the same time.

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Okay Well I Tried The Wireless Router Thing But It Didn't Work... I Think It's Beacuse It Needs A Ethernet Cable Plugged Into It... But The Comcast Modem Only Has One... So It Won't Work

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Okay I'm Really Confused Now...

I Connected My Wireless Router To My Comcast Modem

I Connected Them With A Phone Cable And An Ethernet (I Also Tried Putting The Phone Cable From The Wireless Router To My Home Phone...)

My Comcast Modem Was Not Connected To My Computer In Any Way... But The Internet Still Worked (On The Computer)

But The Only Problem Is That The Internet Wasn't Connecting To The Wireless Router...

It Was Sending Out A Connection... But The Connection Wasn't Connected To The Internet..

What Now????

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Okay I'm Really Confused Now...

I Connected My Wireless Router To My Comcast Modem

I Connected Them With A Phone Cable And An Ethernet (I Also Tried Putting The Phone Cable From The Wireless Router To My Home Phone...)

My Comcast Modem Was Not Connected To My Computer In Any Way... But The Internet Still Worked (On The Computer)

But The Only Problem Is That The Internet Wasn't Connecting To The Wireless Router...

It Was Sending Out A Connection... But The Connection Wasn't Connected To The Internet..

What Now????
LOL you poor thing. OK. So for starters just some basics:

1.) Your internet is provided to you by comcast via the comcast modem.
2.) Your wireless router .. ROUTES... the internet provided to your Comcast modem to various devices, such as your Wii.
3.) Your Ethernet card is designed to continually send "hey there" messages, old school ones actually had a light that would blink each time this was done, and another for when it got the "what's up?" reply. Nothing to worry about.
4.) Your Cable modem will only have 1 Ether port OUT on it unless you go out and buy one that has more than one.
5.) Your wireless router -should- have up to 3 Ethernet ports OUT and 1 Ethernet port IN.

K?

SO here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

1 RJ-59 standard coaxial cable
1 Cable Modem
1 Wireless Router
2 Ethernet Cables

MIX:

Walljack => Cable Modem (COAX)
Cable Modem => wireless router (Ethernet cable)
Wireless Router => Computer (Ethernet cable)
Wireless Router => Wii (Wii setup menu)

Brawl Online.

:D

oh..

And unless you're trying to be different it's harder to read your posts with the first letter of Each Word Capitalized.

Peace

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
And with every sentence spaced...
lol I just notice that. Maybe's it's something to do with his interface, like there's this one dude I remember who had to use a computer from a hospital bed and it was kinda... yeah.

>.>;

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Sorry that's just usually how I type I will try to change my ways but it's a weird addiction.
Anyways thank you Sucumbio I will try your method first thing in the morning tomorrow.
Also one more bit of information that might possibly affect the situation. The wireless modem is from Verizon. It was the modem I had when I had their service but we didn't send it back yet, so I'm using it for this experimenting...

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I probably just had the worst time ever doing online play. God it's lagsome.

I'm thinking about getting a Lan Adaptor and going wired. would I need a cat5 or cat6 ethernet cable, or are they both just about the same? Is it worth running 40ft of ethernet cable just for better wifi? seriously, My router i on the main floor and my wii is in the basement on the other side of the house.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Sorry that's just usually how I type I will try to change my ways but it's a weird addiction.
Anyways thank you Sucumbio I will try your method first thing in the morning tomorrow.
Also one more bit of information that might possibly affect the situation. The wireless modem is from Verizon. It was the modem I had when I had their service but we didn't send it back yet, so I'm using it for this experimenting...
nah that won't matter.. good luck

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
Okay well I just tried it but it didn't work.
The router is all lit up but the Internet light isn't lit.
So basically i just need to get the router connected to the internet.
Yet I'm having no trouble online on the computer.
I don't know what to do now... but I was wondering. One of my Ethernet cables has a split on it and the split has a USB cable so you can plug it in the computer's either Ethernet or USB plugs.
So what if i got one long enough to reach into my Wii to go into the USB plug on the Wii.
Would that possibly work?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Okay well I just tried it but it didn't work.
"why am I not surprised?" hehe

The router is all lit up but the Internet light isn't lit.
Your router may not be compatible with the verizon modem. You should try your comcast modem, unless they didn't give you one, in which case you'll want to ask for one, it may cost a bit more per month, but it's worth it.

So basically i just need to get the router connected to the internet.
You are correct, this step is essential. However, this will only happen if the cable modem shows steady lit on "recieve" "send" and "online" AND you have plugged the Ethernet cable correctly, it goes from the OUT on the back of the modem to the "IN" on the router. You don't even have to have a computer for this to work, technically. All you need is my untis untis untis. Sorry, no, all you need is the cable modem and the router and an ethernet cable connecting them albeit it will only work if they're in the right holes, lol

Yet I'm having no trouble online on the computer.
This isn't actually that surprising. Nowadays there are tons of ways for computers to access the internet. You may have some other connection method enabled by accident that's built into your computer, like I mentioned before... maybe not something as obvious as dial-up... but something, for as our wise Sherlock Holmes once eluded to... whatever remains however improbable must be the truth. You'll of course need some understanding and working knowledge of how your computer works in order to discover which connection method it's using. If you for instance, can unplug your modem/router combo and it STILL gets online, yeah, there's a wireless aircard, etc giving it internet. You will want to disable this or any other method in play, BEFORE you attempt what you're doing, or it won't work. Please contact Comcast for assistance on how to properly setup your wireless router and cable modem. Once that's done, then you can setup your Wii for online play.

I don't know what to do now... but I was wondering. One of my Ethernet cables has a split on it and the split has a USB cable so you can plug it in the computer's either Ethernet or USB plugs.
So what if i got one long enough to reach into my Wii to go into the USB plug on the Wii.
Would that possibly work?
i wouldn't recommend this. The cable is like that because some folks prefer to use USB over Ethernet. However, since you've got a wireless router, just follow the simple formula I've already laid out making sure that everything is already compatible (you'll need to contact Comcast for this) and that your computer (I assume you're running some version of Windows) is set up to not access the internet via any means other than the cable modem (again you'll want to contact Comcast for how to do this, my provider Cableone has a nifty installer that does all this for you, but I don't know about Comcast.)

Anthony523

Smash Apprentice
You are correct, this step is essential. However, this will only happen if the cable modem shows steady lit on "recieve" "send" and "online" AND you have plugged the Ethernet cable correctly, it goes from the OUT on the back of the modem to the "IN" on the router. You don't even have to have a computer for this to work, technically. All you need is my untis untis untis. Sorry, no, all you need is the cable modem and the router and an ethernet cable connecting them albeit it will only work if they're in the right holes, lol
I had everything set up just like this.
It appeared that the comcast modem was working perfectly fine, the Verizon router just didn't want to cooperate with it.
I don't know what I'm gonna do but thanks for all of the help anyways :]

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
one last thing I thought of in order for your router to recognize the cable modem as its internet not only do the plugs gotta be in the right place but you may have to go to a web page internal to your wireless router to configure it, most are like http://192.168.2.1/ or something similar.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
My conection is never shown blue, often yellow or red, but unless someone else has bad internet the conection is like perfect. Why?

xTONEx

Smash Apprentice
I know this question is probably somewhere in this thread but im not looking through 13 pages for it.

So i got my **** connected, but my game can never find anybody to play against. Is that just due to my connection maybe sucks or what?

xlalala

Smash Rookie
whenever i play online (with anyone) it always lags A LOT and then a message pops up saying "lost connection to other players". this has been happening almost every time i play online with anyone. it doesnt happen when i play online with friends though. why is this? and what can i do to stop the disconnection when playing with anyone?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Because one or more of the other three people has a terrible connection which affects everyone. You will very rarely find a lagless With Anyone

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
whenever i play online (with anyone) it always lags A LOT and then a message pops up saying "lost connection to other players". this has been happening almost every time i play online with anyone. it doesnt happen when i play online with friends though. why is this? and what can i do to stop the disconnection when playing with anyone?
if the lag gets that bad just drop out. I run into these kinds of matches sometimes where i am forced to drop out, or it disconnects me from the match

if its consistant power cycle your router/modem

Demp

Smash Journeyman
I made a thread regarding this that got locked, and I still need closure. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246379

"This is the second time this has happened to me. During a match I would be playing my opponent 1v1, then my opponent would start running around doing random things, not attacking and committing suicide. I would ask my opponent through chat what his deal was, and he would say I was doing this same thing. It is like a CPU took over for both of us, but my opponent wouldn't believe this and wouldn't take that kind of excuse. I would try searching for this problem using the Search function, but I don't know what to search for. Thanks for the help."

But now he is saying it is impossible for such a massive desynch to happen because then it would disconnect both of us. Also in the thread it is suggested that he was using a hacked Wii. He is claiming that it is not the case because he must load an application before he can play with his hacks, so this desynch is not possible.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I made a thread regarding this that got locked, and I still need closure. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=246379

"This is the second time this has happened to me. During a match I would be playing my opponent 1v1, then my opponent would start running around doing random things, not attacking and committing suicide. I would ask my opponent through chat what his deal was, and he would say I was doing this same thing. It is like a CPU took over for both of us, but my opponent wouldn't believe this and wouldn't take that kind of excuse. I would try searching for this problem using the Search function, but I don't know what to search for. Thanks for the help."

But now he is saying it is impossible for such a massive desynch to happen because then it would disconnect both of us. Also in the thread it is suggested that he was using a hacked Wii. He is claiming that it is not the case because he must load an application before he can play with his hacks, so this desynch is not possible.
Could be a glitch, there are a few serious glitches in wifi that will cause some strange effects, though I've never heard of all participants in a brawl suddenly losing control over their character movements, the only thing that happened to me closely resembling that is the controller malfunction I mentioned and your scenario doesn't much sound like that.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Could be a glitch, there are a few serious glitches in wifi that will cause some strange effects, though I've never heard of all participants in a brawl suddenly losing control over their character movements, the only thing that happened to me closely resembling that is the controller malfunction I mentioned and your scenario doesn't much sound like that.
No, here's the thing. On my screen, I know I 3 stocked him and he was like running around and SDing and whatnot. And according to him I did the same thing.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
No, here's the thing. On my screen, I know I 3 stocked him and he was like running around and SDing and whatnot. And according to him I did the same thing.
Hm.. dunno. There are some hacks like disable player and stuff, but running around randomly and SD that seems to be him just doing that and then trying to play it off, cause technically so long as you don't lose control of your character whatever they're seeing isn't verifiable by you.

xlalala

Smash Rookie
if the lag gets that bad just drop out. I run into these kinds of matches sometimes where i am forced to drop out, or it disconnects me from the match

if its consistant power cycle your router/modem
what's a power cycle?

im having another problem. for some odd reason my friends disappear from my friends list. after i add them, they show up on the list but if i go brawl or spectate, the friend i added disappears. my friend list isnt full or close to full either. i noticed this happens only if the person added me already. does this happen to anyone else?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
My conection is never shown blue, often yellow or red, but unless someone else has bad internet the conection is like perfect. Why?
The connection colors are only based on the distance of the connection. If you both have good connections then you can still play with little lag.

So i got my **** connected, but my game can never find anybody to play against. Is that just due to my connection maybe sucks or what?
With Anybody mode can take a long time to find players no matter how good your connection is. Even up to days. My suggestion would be to play people through friend registration.
He lied to you. There's no such glitch. He was just ****ing with your head.
im having another problem. for some odd reason my friends disappear from my friends list. after i add them, they show up on the list but if i go brawl or spectate, the friend i added disappears. my friend list isnt full or close to full either. i noticed this happens only if the person added me already. does this happen to anyone else?
Hm that's strange. Try this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152047

As for you other problem, that can happen either by someone disconnecting or there is a problem with your modem/internet. Or if your wii is hacked.

ninjapikapit

Smash Rookie
i'm starting to think no one is playing online against anyone anymore is this true? a few months ago joining games took minutes and now no one is online, are people now bored of brawl and not playing?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
i'm starting to think no one is playing online against anyone anymore is this true? a few months ago joining games took minutes and now no one is online, are people now bored of brawl and not playing?
People still play brawl. It's just that they don't play 'with anyone' mode because it basically sucks and takes forever to find people which when you do find suck at the game. Most people play by exhanging friend codes online (Through Smashboards, AIM, another website, etc.) You can find players through the friend finder stickied in this section or the new members fight arena in the meet and greet section.
it didnt work =(

oh ok. its probably my modem and my wii isnt hacked
Are you sure the people you added didn't just change their name? Or does the number on the roster actually decrease?

What kind of modem do you have. If there is a problem with the modem or router the lights will usually blink when you are disconnected from the game. If you think that's the case I can help you further.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I just got error 20109 for the third day in a row.

I have no idea what it means, i doubt the nintendo servers are down. Im in canada, just recently switched to lan wii cause i thought wireless was the problem.

Running off an iso on a hard drive.

Is this a ban or what?

Help!

Top Bottom