Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters
I would say that if they already have quite similar bodies and after all, many of the spells of heroes, none can learn them and others can only be learned by some of them but not all
So like Ness and Lucas?
This is exactly what I've been talking about. I mean, if Smash can actually get away with hand-waving Ness and Lucas suddenly using their respective party members' PSI attacks by outright stating that said party members taught them their skills in preparation for Smash, it wouldn't be THAT far-fetched to allow Ringo to get away with such a thing, right?

Besides, I think that it would be rather in-character for Arle and Amitie to want to teach Ringo their skills so that they could get into Smash together.

amageish

Smash Lord
Question: Do we know any reason why Arle hasn't been in any Sega and All-Star games? I know Puyo have had minigames in the EyeToy game and Tennis, but it's kind of weird none of the franchise's characters have been playable?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Champion
Question: Do we know any reason why Arle hasn't been in any Sega and All-Star games? I know Puyo have had minigames in the EyeToy game and Tennis, but it's kind of weird none of the franchise's characters have been playable?
SEGA was heavily avoiding their Japanese IPs and trying to appeal to the west (Binary Domain was made by yakuza team in mind for westerners), the acquisition of Atlus completely changed that however.

Sakura was thought for Transformed however Vyse ended up winning since SoA had a larger cult status in the west.

amageish

Smash Lord
SEGA was heavily avoiding their Japanese IPs and trying to appeal to the west (Binary Domain was made by yakuza team in mind for westerners), the acquisition of Atlus completely changed that however.

Sakura was thought for Transformed however Vyse ended up winning since SoA had a larger cult status in the west.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay. I was wondering if it was something like that, as the rosters do tend to be kind of heavy on more mascot-y characters and the less "anime" ones... That sucks.

I was just thinking about what they may do for their 60th anniversary and if they would ever do an internal crossover game featuring, like, most of their popular properties...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Champion
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay. I was wondering if it was something like that, as the rosters do tend to be kind of heavy on more mascot-y characters and the less "anime" ones... That sucks.

I was just thinking about what they may do for their 60th anniversary and if they would ever do an internal crossover game featuring, like, most of their popular properties...
As much as I want that I doubt it. Even if they did have something planned corona probably delayed it.

On the upside PSO2 is out on PC next week and its filled with SEGA references and apparel

Sega-Star-Selection.jpg

Virtual-On-Costumes.jpg

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Lord
As much as I want that I doubt it. Even if they did have something planned corona probably delayed it.

On the upside PSO2 is out on PC next week and its filled with SEGA references and apparel
Yeah, true... The rumour mill also has a new Sonic game as the anniversary game of choice, though idk how creditable those reports are... It just seems like a big milestone worth celebrating and they also have a very impressive amount of IPs. Heck, the amount of SEGA IPs people want/speculate-about for Smash is very high by third party company standards.

True! That is very exciting. I am glad, if slightly surprised, that it's formally coming out in the Americas. It does have an impressive amount of other Sega IPs cameoing in it. Hopefully it does well!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
While I'm actually a little confident in hearing about Puyo related content, anything as substantial as a new game is very unlikely.

The biggest reason isn't even COVID-19, it's the fact that we probably won't get anything of that calibur until next year, since that coincides with the 30th anniversary of Puyo Puyo.

If we do, it's likely that it's a spinoff game of some kind, or perhaps just a special announcement of something else.

While I'm actually a little confident in hearing about Puyo related content, anything as substantial as a new game is very unlikely.

The biggest reason isn't even COVID-19, it's the fact that we probably won't get anything of that calibur until next year, since that coincides with the 30th anniversary of Puyo Puyo.

If we do, it's likely that it's a spinoff game of some kind, or perhaps just a special announcement of something else.
What are your hopes for Puyo-related content then?

My realistic wishes should Puyo get stuff is probably just... anything new. Like, new merchandise, an announcement for an upcoming Quest crossover. It’s entirely possible that nothing Puyo related is there.

Now depending on what region this airs in, we might even get a port of an older game. If we got a localization or brand new game that’d be amazing. But I doubt that will come to pass.

Yeah, true... The rumour mill also has a new Sonic game as the anniversary game of choice, though idk how creditable those reports are... It just seems like a big milestone worth celebrating and they also have a very impressive amount of IPs. Heck, the amount of SEGA IPs people want/speculate-about for Smash is very high by third party company standards.

True! That is very exciting. I am glad, if slightly surprised, that it's formally coming out in the Americas. It does have an impressive amount of other Sega IPs cameoing in it. Hopefully it does well!
It would take a miracle for them to make new Puyo stuff without cutting on budget at this point. At least they're taking the Miyamoto approach for the next Sonic game's dev cycle.

Top Bottom