• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arle Nadja, Puyo Popper Extraordinaire pops into Smash Bros.! (New Management!)

Which Puyo protagonist would you prefer for Smash?

• Total voters

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would say that if they already have quite similar bodies and after all, many of the spells of heroes, none can learn them and others can only be learned by some of them but not all
So like Ness and Lucas?
This is exactly what I've been talking about. I mean, if Smash can actually get away with hand-waving Ness and Lucas suddenly using their respective party members' PSI attacks by outright stating that said party members taught them their skills in preparation for Smash, it wouldn't be THAT far-fetched to allow Ringo to get away with such a thing, right?

Besides, I think that it would be rather in-character for Arle and Amitie to want to teach Ringo their skills so that they could get into Smash together.

amageish

Smash Master
Question: Do we know any reason why Arle hasn't been in any Sega and All-Star games? I know Puyo have had minigames in the EyeToy game and Tennis, but it's kind of weird none of the franchise's characters have been playable?

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Question: Do we know any reason why Arle hasn't been in any Sega and All-Star games? I know Puyo have had minigames in the EyeToy game and Tennis, but it's kind of weird none of the franchise's characters have been playable?
SEGA was heavily avoiding their Japanese IPs and trying to appeal to the west (Binary Domain was made by yakuza team in mind for westerners), the acquisition of Atlus completely changed that however.

Sakura was thought for Transformed however Vyse ended up winning since SoA had a larger cult status in the west.

amageish

Smash Master
SEGA was heavily avoiding their Japanese IPs and trying to appeal to the west (Binary Domain was made by yakuza team in mind for westerners), the acquisition of Atlus completely changed that however.

Sakura was thought for Transformed however Vyse ended up winning since SoA had a larger cult status in the west.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay. I was wondering if it was something like that, as the rosters do tend to be kind of heavy on more mascot-y characters and the less "anime" ones... That sucks.

I was just thinking about what they may do for their 60th anniversary and if they would ever do an internal crossover game featuring, like, most of their popular properties...

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, okay. I was wondering if it was something like that, as the rosters do tend to be kind of heavy on more mascot-y characters and the less "anime" ones... That sucks.

I was just thinking about what they may do for their 60th anniversary and if they would ever do an internal crossover game featuring, like, most of their popular properties...
As much as I want that I doubt it. Even if they did have something planned corona probably delayed it.

On the upside PSO2 is out on PC next week and its filled with SEGA references and apparel

Sega-Star-Selection.jpg

Virtual-On-Costumes.jpg

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
As much as I want that I doubt it. Even if they did have something planned corona probably delayed it.

On the upside PSO2 is out on PC next week and its filled with SEGA references and apparel
Yeah, true... The rumour mill also has a new Sonic game as the anniversary game of choice, though idk how creditable those reports are... It just seems like a big milestone worth celebrating and they also have a very impressive amount of IPs. Heck, the amount of SEGA IPs people want/speculate-about for Smash is very high by third party company standards.

True! That is very exciting. I am glad, if slightly surprised, that it's formally coming out in the Americas. It does have an impressive amount of other Sega IPs cameoing in it. Hopefully it does well!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
While I'm actually a little confident in hearing about Puyo related content, anything as substantial as a new game is very unlikely.

The biggest reason isn't even COVID-19, it's the fact that we probably won't get anything of that calibur until next year, since that coincides with the 30th anniversary of Puyo Puyo.

If we do, it's likely that it's a spinoff game of some kind, or perhaps just a special announcement of something else.

amageish

Smash Master
While I'm actually a little confident in hearing about Puyo related content, anything as substantial as a new game is very unlikely.

The biggest reason isn't even COVID-19, it's the fact that we probably won't get anything of that calibur until next year, since that coincides with the 30th anniversary of Puyo Puyo.

If we do, it's likely that it's a spinoff game of some kind, or perhaps just a special announcement of something else.
What are your hopes for Puyo-related content then?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
My realistic wishes should Puyo get stuff is probably just... anything new. Like, new merchandise, an announcement for an upcoming Quest crossover. It’s entirely possible that nothing Puyo related is there.

Now depending on what region this airs in, we might even get a port of an older game. If we got a localization or brand new game that’d be amazing. But I doubt that will come to pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, true... The rumour mill also has a new Sonic game as the anniversary game of choice, though idk how creditable those reports are... It just seems like a big milestone worth celebrating and they also have a very impressive amount of IPs. Heck, the amount of SEGA IPs people want/speculate-about for Smash is very high by third party company standards.

True! That is very exciting. I am glad, if slightly surprised, that it's formally coming out in the Americas. It does have an impressive amount of other Sega IPs cameoing in it. Hopefully it does well!
It would take a miracle for them to make new Puyo stuff without cutting on budget at this point. At least they're taking the Miyamoto approach for the next Sonic game's dev cycle.

Meteorite

Smash Cadet
Just thought I'd share this, a super cute video remake of Kirby's Avalanche in modern Puyo Puyo style made by Japanese fans (since the game was never released in Japan, it's become a peculiarity to them):

[/QUOTE]

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Sega just announced the Game Gear Micro as part of their anniversary, and Puyo's included!

The official site for the Game Gear Micro

Each color has a different set of games - the black one has Puyo Puyo 2, and the yellow one has Nazo Puyo: Arle no Roux. So if you've ever wanted to play Puyo on a one-inch screen, now's your chance!

Also, as a much smaller part of their 60th anniversary stuff, Sega's been releasing some icons, including Puyo ones! A lot of them are icons of characters, but there are also a few other ones, like consoles, logos, and real hedgehogs with Sonic plushes, among other stuff. Nothing too crazy - the Puyo ones, for example, are just official art with 60th anniversary branding. But hey, they're interesting enough!

Check them out here!

Also, on a different note, for anyone who's familiar with the first Madou Monogatari game, what's the best version of it available in English? I'd like to give it a shot sometime to see for myself just how different Puyo is from its origin game, but I'm not sure which version to go for.

(One last thing - it's June, so the Arms character is getting a full reveal and release soon! Maybe we'll see the next character around then as well?)

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Also, on a different note, for anyone who's familiar with the first Madou Monogatari game, what's the best version of it available in English? I'd like to give it a shot sometime to see for myself just how different Puyo is from its origin game, but I'm not sure which version to go for.
The Genesis version got a translation patch quite literally this year. It's great, give it a shot.

Speaking of icons, before SEGA made their own official ones, I made unofficial ones that have a lot more Puyo characters, but only has Puyo characters.

Give em a shot here. See what you think.

♕Pretty Roger♕

God Roger
NNID
RogelioWii
3DS FC
0602-6365-8680
Switch FC
SW-2762-7992-4597
The Genesis version got a translation patch quite literally this year. It's great, give it a shot.

Speaking of icons, before SEGA made their own official ones, I made unofficial ones that have a lot more Puyo characters, but only has Puyo characters.

OMG!! I was looking for a translation patch last year and i found nothing, so when i read your message i went to try it and it's so fun!! I've always enjoyed and appreciated the Puyo puyo translated games and it been a while since i looked for more of them. If anyone has the time you should definetly check all of the puyo franchise translated games (and those ones in japanese as well), you won't regret it! (i am not really into dungeon crawlers, but Madou Monogatari's combat system is so fun <3)

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I don’t know much about Puyo Puyo, but I do know about their Western counterparts for the SNES and Sega Genesis. (Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine) Anyway, I think it’d be interesting to see a Puyo Puyo character for Smash, so count me in. They should make a Puyo Puyo stage with music from the Puyo Puyo series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Smash remix of Final of Puyo Puyo/Satan's Theme.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sega just announced the Game Gear Micro as part of their anniversary, and Puyo's included!

The official site for the Game Gear Micro

Each color has a different set of games - the black one has Puyo Puyo 2, and the yellow one has Nazo Puyo: Arle no Roux. So if you've ever wanted to play Puyo on a one-inch screen, now's your chance!

Also, as a much smaller part of their 60th anniversary stuff, Sega's been releasing some icons, including Puyo ones! A lot of them are icons of characters, but there are also a few other ones, like consoles, logos, and real hedgehogs with Sonic plushes, among other stuff. Nothing too crazy - the Puyo ones, for example, are just official art with 60th anniversary branding. But hey, they're interesting enough!

Check them out here!

(One last thing - it's June, so the Arms character is getting a full reveal and release soon! Maybe we'll see the next character around then as well?)
Pretty neat, though it kinda feels like it capitalizes on the Game Boy Micro 15 years too late.

Why can't people want more cute characters for Smash.
Because people like reptiles and purple more and don't care much about Japan getting the lion's share of attention, apparently. :drshrug:

I'd say give it time, people will eventually get to cute characters as more and more requests manage to get in. I don't care how long I have to wait, I'll be patient. No need to make rivalries over this.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Why can't people want more cute characters for Smash.
I guess a lot of people prefer the characters they see dark and cooler than cute characters after all, many people consider cute things to be for young children for some reason

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

Cool! I remember seeing the Genesis translation release, but I wasn't sure if it was the best one or not. I'll give it a shot sometime soon, thanks for the recommendation!

Also your icons are a lot of fun, certainly more unique than the anniversary ones!
Pretty neat, though it kinda feels like it capitalizes on the Game Boy Micro 15 years too late.
Don't be too hard on them, condensing six AA batteries down to that size can't be easy. ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Soon the ARMS fighter will join Smash Ultimate. After the ARMS newcomer, i hope Arle gets invited to join the brawl next. (Also Crash.... Neutral on Doomguy though, one gun based super soldier hero is good enough as long as we get our Puyo Puyo rep)

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
I haven't done much with it yet, but I got Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) on my second attempt, so I'm happy

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don’t know much about Puyo Puyo, but I do know about their Western counterparts for the SNES and Sega Genesis. (Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine) Anyway, I think it’d be interesting to see a Puyo Puyo character for Smash, so count me in. They should make a Puyo Puyo stage with music from the Puyo Puyo series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Smash remix of Final of Puyo Puyo/Satan's Theme.
So, may I add you to the support list?:)

D

Deleted member

Okay, so on my first day, i just got Sonic and Arle with ease....

But i really hope Arle joins the fight soon after the ARMS representative. I mean, who doesn't want to play as a TRUE puzzle game fighter in Smash? And i still think SEGA deserves a 4th representative. And once Arle is revealed, will this thread end and will there be a "Playable Arle in Smash Social Thread"? Who knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Here's something kind of neat - there's a Smash poll going on that's apparently aiming to be the biggest one yet, and Arle's #21 so far! That's pretty good!
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Also, the results of the big Source Gaming poll apparently have a "very possible chance" of getting released this weekend, so even if they don't come out this weekend, they must be close to ready! It'll be fun to see how Arle stacks up.

D

Deleted member

Anyway i just got all 139 items on the SEGA Earth UFO Catcher thing.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Here's a picture of the medal!

That's a nice prize, hopefully one (or both) of you get one!

How long did it take to complete the game? I didn't end up playing it, so I'm not sure how involved it was.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Here's a picture of the medal!

That's a nice prize, hopefully one (or both) of you get one!

How long did it take to complete the game? I didn't end up playing it, so I'm not sure how involved it was.
Like a couple days.

Btw if any of you are playing PSO2, the SEGA legacy pack just came out

Comes with Arle's outfit (in different colors), hairstyle, carbuncle toy, Amitie's hat, and a carbuncle Mag evolution device.
Save up those meseta's for the player store.
pso20200609_201541_000.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For some reason I was always more good at Puyo Puyo than Tetris.

It just seems to be an easier game for me.

D

Deleted member

After the ARMS rep, i hope Arle's next to join the fight. But once Arle is revealed to join Smash, would you main her? I certainly do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom