• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
I don't recall using that line, and if you'll talk to any of the other guys who have talked with me about religion you'll know that I intentionally steer clear of that line, as it tends to not be received well.
You don't have to say that line to say that line.

Also, for the record. Yes, I do take exceptional offense when someone slams the Lord. It's called indignation, or righteous anger. I think that something that is as important as the salvation of souls, vs the playing a game and and the trolling that goes along with that is a world of difference. A joke among friends about losing stocks at smash bros, is nothing compared to calling the foundation for someone's life and existence "imaginary."
I disagree. You upset them over that as much as this upsets you and you don't make any attempt to stop out of respect for their feelings. It's a two way street. You can' tick someone off about their sore spot and then cry foul when someone pokes yours.

Sorry if me basing my entire life on scripture, or the will of God, is offensive, but at least I hope that you have been able to see some consistency between the two.
I hope you'd be able to see the consistency of using God as a weapon to pick at someone and someone else using the nonexistence of God as a weapon to pick on you.

Remember, Jesus Christ himself braided a whip and drove people out of the temple for making a mockery of the house of God, and undermining him.
Believe me bro...I'm coming in light.
See? That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. This. Right here. You can say "Jesus says you're stupid." to someone to make your point but you call for a time out when someone else says "Yeah, well Jesus isn't real."

chamberlin

Smash Ace
It's a general "Be Excellent to One Another" a'la Bill and Ted mindset, but if I had to boil it down to core concepts... Hmm.
Matthew 22:40
Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When confronted with religious dogma, Jesus came up with a very similar answer. The Bill and Ted mindset in this case is completely the way to go. However, you're missing the whole "Love the Lord your God" part in your stance. I'm not saying this to say "Oh you're going to hell!", because only God can judge that. There's so much joy in the fact that God is good; he not only loves us but he IS love; he created us in his image; died for us; wants us to live life to the fullest; gives us wisdom freely; breaks strongholds of sin in our lives; etc, etc etc. You actually do strive to do good to others. Not saying that you're perfect or anything, but neither are me or Zane or anyone else for that matter. But, "No one is good but God alone". By acknowledging God's existence and his authority as Lord (He is Lord whether you choose to acknowledge it or not), you can live a spirit-filled life that has meaning, purpose, power, joy, etc. He is the giver of true-knowledge, life, joy, etc. God really is so good! God's creation cries out how good he is.

Psalm 19:1-6
The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Fair enough. We always reach this path, and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Dude. Do you realize that the same things you're busting me for, is what you're using in defense for me? I'm standing up for something, while you're hiding for cover, and you're calling me out?

This will be the last time I mention it to you. You've heard my side of the story, and even though I'm merely quoting what I believe to be the word of God, and you are making statements from mortal man and expecting that they carry the same weight. It confounds me it truly does.

In the end, what I say won't matter a bit. But that doesn't change the outcome of the way things will turn out. God tells us that following him, and standing up for him will get us persecution. And he was right, standing up for him really will turn your friends against you.

Oh, and if you think Jesus isn't actually real? How about turning to history to see where he is ACTUALLY recorded as real by ACTUAL historians.
Like Josephus. Then once you do that, and you compare the facts of history to the bible, and you see the correlation, maybe you'll understand my perspective. This faith of mine is no blind one, friend.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Matthew 22:40
Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When confronted with religious dogma, Jesus came up with a very similar answer. The Bill and Ted mindset in this case is completely the way to go.
See, this stuff is awesome. I love these parts of the Bible.

But, "No one is good but God alone". By acknowledging God's existence and his authority as Lord (He is Lord whether you choose to acknowledge it or not), you can live a spirit-filled life that has meaning, purpose, power, joy, etc
It's sad that you think that I have to believe in God to have those. : (

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough. We always reach this path, and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Dude. Do you realize that the same things you're busting me for, is what you're using in defense for me? I'm standing up for something, while you're hiding for cover, and you're calling me out?

This will be the last time I mention it to you. You've heard my side of the story, and even though I'm merely quoting what I believe to be the word of God, and you are making statements from mortal man and expecting that they carry the same weight. It confounds me it truly does.

In the end, what I say won't matter a bit. But that doesn't change the outcome of the way things will turn out. God tells us that following him, and standing up for him will get us persecution. And he was right, standing up for him really will turn your friends against you.
I'd ask how I'm running for cover and crying foul and time out, but you said your done, so oh well.

Look dude. Bottom line is that I don't try to hurt you. Teasing is a sign of endearment from me and I know I could stand to lay off a bit. All I'm saying is that if you play the God card, I'll play it too.

You're an awesome dude and the last thing I'd want to do is truly and deeply hurt you.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I'd ask how I'm running for cover and crying foul and time out, but you said your done, so oh well.

Look dude. Bottom line is that I don't try to hurt you. Teasing is a sign of endearment from me and I know I could stand to lay off a bit. All I'm saying is that if you play the God card, I'll play it too.

You're an awesome dude and the last thing I'd want to do is truly and deeply hurt you.
This is why I love you. Because you're truly a good guy. And the reason I come on the way I do is because I'm genuinely concerned for you, and your well being after this life is over.

And if you truly want to know what I'm talking about by the difference of standing up and running for cover is, I'll tell you. But it won't be me "imposing" my beliefs on anyone. It'll be at a request.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
By all means. Everything is open for discussion and criticism as far as I'm concerned.

-edit-
And the reason I come on the way I do is because I'm genuinely concerned for you, and your well being after this life is over.
You're always welcome to try and convert me. But fire and brimstone isn't the way to do it.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
By all means. Everything is open for discussion and criticism as far as I'm concerned.
Running for cover would equal living this life doing everything that I want to do, no holds bar, and denying that there is a higher power beckoning me to choose a different course in life. Because it's easier to run away from obligation that would call for life changing actions, than to--

Stand and meet that challenge. No matter how unpleasant it may seem at the time. I wouldn't be missing smashfests, tourneys that carry over into a Sunday, or watching that which may have bad language or scenes that I cannot engage in but would probably be hilarious and good times with my friends, for no reason.

I realize this. But fire and brimstone is what started me on my path to be honest. But it gives me no right to impose.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Seif denies God because he doesn't want to sacrifice his lifestyle. There are deeper reasons. I mean, look at me. I wouldn't be giving up much at all (cursing? . . .), but that's not what I decide my faith on.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I don't think Seif denies God because he doesn't want to sacrifice his lifestyle. There are deeper reasons. I mean, look at me. I wouldn't be giving up much at all (cursing? . . .), but that's not what I decide my faith on.
I can understand that, but it not's so much what you'd have to give up, as it would be to what you'd have to include.

Also, to me personally, I can't say that I'm missing out on so much that I would risk an eternity for it. I'm still enjoying my life as a Christian as much or maybe even more than anyone who may not be one. Because I get more out of life than the here and now.

Alas...

I want to smash. And actually, Shogun my old crew mate who sometimes still comes on the boards, as well as another named Ike, who ironically plays melee instead of brawl, are wanting to come play me next weekend. So I might be able to get something together. But they are in for a rude awakening :)

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Running for cover would equal living this life doing everything that I want to do, no holds bar, and denying that there is a higher power beckoning me to choose a different course in life. Because it's easier to run away from obligation that would call for life changing actions, than to--

Stand and meet that challenge. No matter how unpleasant it may seem at the time. I wouldn't be missing smashfests, tourneys that carry over into a Sunday, or watching that which may have bad language or scenes that I cannot engage in but would probably be hilarious and good times with my friends, for no reason.

I realize this. But fire and brimstone is what started me on my path to be honest. But it gives me no right to impose.
See, that's the same exact mindset I have but with a different conclusion.

It would be easy for me to read the Bible and already have the meaning of life and my goals laid out for me. It be easy for me to have a list made by someone else that tells me what right and wrong is and not have to question even the ones I don't understand by just knowing it's infallible. It'd be incredibly comforting to know that a higher power has my best interest at heart and that everything will work out in the end. It would be great to know that there's an afterlife.

This all sounds awesome. And I'm not being condescending here at all. I'd love to believe these things.

But it's not the truth.

The challenge is to know that everything may not be alright. That's the unpleasant truth that needs to be faced. We only get one shot here on this Earth and that's it. It's not God that causes wars, not destiny that kills men or fate that orphans children; It's us. It's up to us to make the world a better place. We have to do what's right and we have to do it while we can in the short time we've been lucky enough to live.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
I mean, look at me. I wouldn't be giving up much at all (cursing? . . .)
Sometimes following Christ means more than just being a goody-two-shoes. You may be called to do some dramatic life changes you didn't ever think you had or wanted to do and the spirit will reveal things to you that you never thought were wrong. You may even have to go all the way as to die.

Here's an interesting passage:

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but you know martyrdom and other extreme measures are 99.999999999999% unlikely in the modern United States.

Being a Christian these days means giving over a lot of your free time to the church and living a moral life. I've got the second covered, and my free time is there for the taking. Obligation isn't in the picture as far as I'm concerned (and Seif I'm sure, although I know many others are lazy and do make that decision).

G. Vice

Smash Lord
LOL, hilarious thought Arby...

He plays DK, Mario, and Samus...sooo I'm not exactly worried. But idk how the twins will do.

let's hope you can win arby :)

but he had a mental block vs me, so idk if I can win....

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Yeah, but you know martyrdom and other extreme measures are 99.999999999999% unlikely in the modern United States.

Being a Christian these days means giving over a lot of your free time to the church and living a moral life. I've got the second covered, and my free time is there for the taking.
Do you think you have you done anything wrong... even by your own standards?

Most people would consider me to be generally moral, but trust me, God's ways are higher than my own and I have sinned... and plenty of sin at that. It's only by God's grace and mercy that I receive anything from God.

Also there's this: James 2:10 "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."

The fact that you have a ton of free time, no responsibility, etc is actually kind of a good thing if you think about it. "Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Of course I have, but by virtue of not really doing anything day in and day out, my sin remains none too great. An obligation to pursue a perfectly moral life wouldn't take much effort on my part. It doesn't sound realistic, but trust me, doing nothing leaves little room for sin.

It'd mostly be personal character flaws (which I need to fix anyway) and sins of the mind (slightly harder, but I know what I'm working with).

*Not that I would achieve that perfection. No one can - we can only strive for it. But I wouldn't have to change much to actively pursue it, is what I'm saying.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Of course I have, but by virtue of not really doing anything day in and day out, my sin remains none too great. An obligation to pursue a perfectly moral life wouldn't take much effort on my part. It doesn't sound realistic, but trust me, doing nothing leaves little room for sin.

It'd mostly be personal character flaws (which I need to fix anyway) and sins of the mind (slightly harder, but I know what I'm working with).

*Not that I would achieve that perfection. No one can - we can only strive for it. But I wouldn't have to change much to actively pursue it, is what I'm saying.
Sounds like you'd make a good christian :)

I'm playing with Snakeman atm. He is showing potential, and hopefully he'll stick with melee.

chamberlin

Smash Ace

I can't say with any certainty what God would cause you to change or what you'd be doing. God could call you to live a really simple life. This is one of my favorite verses regarding that:

1 Tim 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

Then again, if God calls you to do something crazy, this may fall in to play:

James 4:17 "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

It's interesting to me to think about this kind of stuff.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I can't say with any certainty what God would cause you to change or what you'd be doing. God could call you to live a really simple life. This is one of my favorite verses regarding that:

1 Tim 6:6 "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

Then again, if God calls you to do something crazy, this may fall in to play:

James 4:17 "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

It's interesting to me to think about this kind of stuff.
Yeah, "the man that knoweth to do good, and does it not; to him it is sin." That's definitely one of my favorite verses.

Just got done playing Snakeman.

He was hatin' on Roy, and how bad he was. So I challenged him to a Roy vs Marth MM. 1 dollar.

3-0 baby. I can't let no body talk that noise on Roy my boy!

G. Vice

Smash Lord

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
He has really good fundamental tech skill. A green fox who controls his aerial movement and dashes well out of l-cancels is one of the cleanest looking things in this game (c@ctu@r effect).

megatherium

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
so was I the only one who thought that fox was gay as ballz? I celebrated when dart made a comeback on yohsi's.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
It's interesting to see someone play Fox like the good character he is while also being a Fox main. Most people only have one or the other. Gay? I don't know. Gay Foxes to me are true campers (lasers/bairs/shinespikes only - oh, and claw up smash ;)). This guy is just playing smart with great tools.

Also, Marth comebacks are the epitomy of gay. Actually Marth is just gay. I do love her so.

"When it comes to Loveless, we understand each other so well that we nod and grunt like we're standing in front of Hank Hill's house."

ha this reviewer keeps it real

G. Vice

Smash Lord
WOO PIG SUEY BABY

Arkansas Tanned that Auburn Tiger hide!!

Now, that's what's up boys. THAT...is what's up.

Vts

Smash Champion
think it's kind of funny that arkansas chat is sticky thread in this board, I like it but also same time makes me sad that my 1000 posts don't count toward my real posts lol

where do i find gamecube controllers arby or will?

need to order 2 of them

Top Bottom