• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
How bout them hogs fellas?!

Awww yeah!!!!!
Early in the game my suitemate was over there making johns to the Frenchie about how we might lose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsIsJ-Q60vY#t this hakumen is my hero

beating so many better characters :D
I was watching the fight instead of the health bars and always thought the other character was winning, and then bam. Hakuman on the win screen. He brings the paaaain.
since bradly is far away this might be a job for you or too look into
*Grady

If he worked in Bradley... OUCH.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
ahhh...:( MY fall break appears to be on the weekend of the 16th not the 23rd. No Missouri trip I guess for me. :'(

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Hm... you guys want to do a smashfest for the Elo power ranking thing that weekend? That way the twins can get a chance at it, at least once.

Not that anyone has shown interest in the project :awesome:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
You guys should just send me all your results so I can incorporate them into the Missouri project I've been doing. You guys already have elos. I'm currently catching everything up and recently did MIST. That way they're more meaningful and can be compared to other communities.

:phone:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I think the idea was to have a system within the state for comparison of improvement. Some of us generally lose to someone else here, and Elo is a nifty way of quantifying that. If someone takes the effort to learn from their mistakes a bit (through playing or watching the videos if they wanted to be recorded), their score will reflect it next time if they win. VTS is pushing to start fresh with this because he has definite goals to accomplish that will reflect his improvement as a player. The rest of us do as well (if anyone else cared about the idea).

I see a chance to play more Smash, which is rare enough these days, so :)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I like to play the game, that's about it. I have no desire necessarily to do ELO, but since it's what's happening I don't complain about it. It's fine, I'm just indifferent.

The way I see it is this, I lose to people who I have mental blocks against, then I play well vs even better players who I don't have a block against. Everyone accepts that when Jack loses to Iori's Bowser, although Iori is a sound player, that it's not because Iori's THAT much better, or even better in general than Jack. I lose to Clay, but I hang with some people who beat him pretty solid. Arby sometimes loses to Yoshiman, and then will turn around and 3 stock everyone in the room, I mean it just isn't so easily quantified as a number. It's pretty much something that I've come to accept. Falco/Sheik/Fox/Clay and most of the time Arby is going to beat me.

But that being said, I do want to play smash sometime. I could use a stress relief break from school. And since I don't do drugs, this would be my out :)

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Me vs Yoshiman is not a good example. I gave him "King Samus" the other day :troll:

The point is that this phenomenon instate can EASILY be quantified, it's just not a number you want to see. It's not supposed to reflect anything but how we do against each other, which everyone knows is weird to begin with. The idea is for this number to provide a little motivation to improve, instead of turning it into a non-issue through acceptance like you're doing. If we did two of these, and you watched your set with Clay at both of them, you couldn't help but improve. The failings in your own play against him would be like a slap to the face. The same goes for everyone else. VTS vs you and me, for example. He says the handoff alone will pull him to victory, but there are deeper gameplay issues than that. And I'd get better from our matches too. I've picked up some awfully bad habits the better I've gotten, which doesn't make sense but happened anyway.

This could help all of us a lot if we took the right approach to it. We all have different playstyles and mostly different mains, but we don't take advantage of that really. I've gotten to play the most because everyone knows I want to and have the time, but it's still not nearly enough for my taste. *Your mental blocks against players are the result of being repeatedly taken advantage of. A little tweaking would go a long way, and it wouldn't even take much time or effort. Any effort at all pays dividends in this game, but we're all so lazy. The rising stars put in a little to a lot more work than the rest of us, and the improvement shows - quickly.

you're all nerds
nah man. they ****ed gt up. It had a lot of potential too.
kels i dont think justifying why you didnt like gt is a good argument for why youre not a nerd
lol

I will moneymatch you in a DBZ quiz
I'd win ;)

batman the animated series was better than any anime

except maybe cowboy bebop
A stretch, but not too far off

-That thread is full of DBZ talk amongst grown-*** men for a good while. Telling you Seif, you and Ethan (and Will) are exceptions. Some things transcend quality (or reframe it).

I'd like to amend my favorite cartoon from SpongeBob to Looney Tunes btw. It's a close matchup though, may go either way depending on who's playing better that day.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I'd like to amend my favorite cartoon from SpongeBob to Looney Tunes btw. It's a close matchup though, may go either way depending on who's playing better that day.
I've never watched a bad Looney Tunes episode. I have watched bad spongebob episodes. That pretty much sums up why Looney Tunes is quantifiably better than every other cartoon out there. Every other show has made mistakes.

But Batman the animated series the best of all time? I sense someone's nostalgia getting the best of them.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I've never watched a bad Looney Tunes episode. I have watched bad spongebob episodes. That pretty much sums up why Looney Tunes is quantifiably better than every other cartoon out there. Every other show has made mistakes.

But Batman the animated series the best of all time? I sense someone's nostalgia getting the best of them.
Dragonball Z and Full Metal Alchemist are the top two.

Although it's anime, they're still seen as cartoons by the world. You boys got some messed up top choices. Best kiddie shows are Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents.

Oh yeah, and honorable mention to Avatar: The last Airbender as well.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Looney Tunes is better than DBZ and FMA and nearly any anime I can think of - considering its fundamental quality and yeah, the fact that it doesn't mess up ever throughout a bajillion great episodes. Anime doesn't know how to NOT mess up. Bebop is my favorite largely because it's the most solid anime I've ever seen.

I'll admit FMA didn't really resonate with me at all, and although I remain the biggest DBZ fan this side of eternity, I think a couple other cartoons are better (thinking of it as an American show from the good ol' days).

First three seasons of Spongebob are all ages, not kiddie :( Written for adults as well as children.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Hey man

the facts is the facts

Trust me, there aren't many cartoons I like more than DBZ, but Looney Tunes is too good. DBZ is definitely top of A tier among my childhood cartoons.

What I find more interesting is that you object to DBZ over FMA :p
(although in my heart of hearts I like DBZ more *runs from the Seif n Scythe*)

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
What's Opera, Doc and Duck Amuck are simply brilliant

Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!

And THIS mofo!

Hello ma baby!
Hello ma honey!
Hello ma ragtime gal
Send me a kiss by wire
Baby, my heart's on fire!

Also, I can't help but laugh every time someone mentions this:
But anyway I watched the whole thing and initial reaction is that you [Kage] play Falcon like Ganon

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Firstly: I can't respect a man who can say Loony Tunes > DBZ with a straight face.

Secondly: I don't respect Arby.

Thirdly: FMA is amazing, genius, and holds extreme nostalgia for me, so any type of logical explanation as to why it's inferior to "insert any show here" holds no merit to me.

Fourthly: Kage apparently ain't the only one -_-

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Firstly: I can't respect a man who can say Loony Tunes > DBZ with a straight face.

Secondly: I don't respect Arby.
The shoe being on the other foot, I might say much the same ;)

No one's gonna try to argue down FMA. It's pointless with shows like that and DBZ. The nostalgia and emotional pull are too strong. But I didn't have that experience with FMA, so it doesn't personally mean much. To me, it was just another good show.

G. Vice

Smash Lord

No one's gonna try to argue down FMA. It's pointless with shows like that and DBZ. The nostalgia and emotional pull are too strong. But I didn't have that experience with FMA, so it doesn't personally mean much. To me, it was just another good show.
I'm not jonesing for your respect, I'm jonesing for that CF son.

At least you concede that FMA is good. But keep in mind kiddo that I got three years on you, so while you think of this newer stuff as nostalgic, I go back a few years.

That's why Star Trek is nostalgic to clay. It came out when he was in his teens.

I personally like it as well, but I'm a little young for nostalgia to kick in when I hear "Engage!"

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'm not that fond of FMA. There's just too much manbrolove in that show for me.

Loony Tunes > DBZ To give Vice another reason to disrespect me. :)

Star trek isn't nostalgic for you guys? I guess my dad being a startrek quasifanboy gave it to me. I watched most of the shows on old, recorded vcr tapes when I was child.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Only the original and Next Generation aired before our time. But NG was in syndication until... I think it still is? Jeez. DSN/Voyager aired when we were a little older. Enterprise even later. Although I only watched NG. I'm just going to say it's the only one that matters :)

chamberlin

Smash Ace
Here my Star Trek: TNG rant...

I was but a small child kid when Star Trek TNG came out. I was born in 84 and the show ran from 87-94. Back in my day, we only had 1 antenna that sat on top of the house and we had an analog switcher that controlled whether the signal went to the living room or my parent's room. I remember there was an hour each week where we weren't allowed to watch TV in the living room because my dad was watching Star Trek in their room and it was a big deal at the time to my parents. When I got a little older, CBS started showing reruns at super late at night (like 11:30 or so), and my brother and I would painfully stay up to watch it. Later on, me and my brother also spent a ton of our allowance money on the Star Trek Collectible Card Game. When me and my brother got our first computer (windows 95), we learned how to create a boot disk for windows as well as dos command line basics so we could play a DOS game called "Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity". I later grew up watching and discussing all about Star Trek: TNG, DS9, and Voyager, played many Star Trek video games, and discussed Star Trek lore amongst my nerdy friends (and family for that matter).

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Here my Star Trek: TNG rant...

I was but a small child kid when Star Trek TNG came out. I was born in 84 and the show ran from 87-94. Back in my day, we only had 1 antenna that sat on top of the house and we had an analog switcher that controlled whether the signal went to the living room or my parent's room. I remember there was an hour each week where we weren't allowed to watch TV in the living room because my dad was watching Star Trek in their room and it was a big deal at the time to my parents. When I got a little older, CBS started showing reruns at super late at night (like 11:30 or so), and my brother and I would painfully stay up to watch it. Later on, me and my brother also spent a ton of our allowance money on the Star Trek Collectible Card Game. When me and my brother got our first computer (windows 95), we learned how to create a boot disk for windows as well as dos command line basics so we could play a DOS game called "Star Trek: The Next Generation - A Final Unity". I later grew up watching and discussing all about Star Trek: TNG, DS9, and Voyager, played many Star Trek video games, and discussed Star Trek lore amongst my nerdy friends (and family for that matter).
Call me old man.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Personally, I'm not that fond of FMA. There's just too much manbrolove in that show for me.

Loony Tunes > DBZ To give Vice another reason to disrespect me. :)
And I was just beginning to like you Adam. I really was.

I'll never work for a man I don't respect, and thusly I'll never work for you as you well know now.

Also, I'm sorry that you don't like FMA. And though I don't recall any of the "manbrolove" I'm a fan of it. I'm one of the emotional types that actually cares about people. Thus I'm becoming a nurse while you're becoming an MD. Although you'll be rich, you'll be hated, while I will be poor and loved <3

Actually since I'm going to be APN, I'll be like a mini-march hare. Scary actually. But at least I'll be better at smash :D

And for the record, you can get no lower in my book than by maining sheik.

edit* I bought Trigun: Badlands for my roomie for his birthday. And because I wanted to watch it as well. Trigun is yet another highly nostalgic anime for me, although I would probably have trouble watching it again due to how many times I've already seen it.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
So much hate. :(

My goal is to be a Dr. House type m.d. :awesome:

I guess I'll finalize maining ganon. My ganon is my best anyway. :)

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
it's all about annoying vice though. And I would almost bet that my ganon taking stocks/games off you guys annoys him more than my sheik does. :bee:

G. Vice

Smash Lord
it's all about annoying vice though. And I would almost bet that my ganon taking stocks/games off you guys annoys him more than my sheik does. :bee:
Umm...no not really. Your Ganon barely gives mine a challenge, so you might get stocks/games off my fellow crew mates. But hardly me :)

They just used to my Ganon, you ain't good

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
I love Star Trek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first trek was Voyager. When I was a kid I would always watch WWF Smackdown and then Voyager back to back every week. Then, once I left home, I marathoned TNG, DS9, Enterprise in a row. Even though Voyager is nostalgic, TNG is just too good. Unfortunately, no one around me really cared to talk treky with me. :'( After Star Trek was over, I marathoned all of the Stargate series which took me about two weeks per series, where every series is about 10 seasons long. I'm pretty much addicted to every science fiction series out there. Except some of the new crap which is more like drama with a tiny bit of scifi.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Umm...no not really. Your Ganon barely gives mine a challenge, so you might get stocks/games off my fellow crew mates. But hardly me :)

They just used to my Ganon, you ain't good
awww I figured the badness of my ganon annoyed you, kind of like me listening to someone sing off tune, coughrustycough :troll:, or watching some sad pathetic whatthehellisyourproblem noob playing portal. Oh well back to sheik then.

A troll got to do what a troll got a do. Especially in this state where memk thinks HE's the resident troll. I've obviously been slacking.

PS: (ganon dittos are dumb anyway) :p

G. Vice

Smash Lord
awww I figured the badness of my ganon annoyed you, kind of like me listening to someone sing off tune, coughrustycough :troll:, or watching some sad pathetic whatthehellisyourproblem noob playing portal. Oh well back to sheik then.

A troll got to do what a troll got a do. Especially in this state where memk thinks HE's the resident troll. I've obviously been slacking.

PS: (ganon dittos are dumb anyway) :p
I thought for a second you were gonna say I sing off tune, and then my feelings were really gonna get hurt :(

I don't think I sing off tune. Maybe just too bass heavy if anything.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Telling you Seif, you and Ethan (and Will) are exceptions. Some things transcend quality (or reframe it).
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. What are we exceptions too?

But Batman the animated series the best of all time? I sense someone's nostalgia getting the best of them
That's a negative, Hamhawk.

While maybe not the best of all time in my personal taste, it certainly deserves the heaping of praises laid upon it. With the exception of a few of the early episodes it was one of the most consistently well written animated shows out there. It's cross demographic success actually lead it to being the only non-comedy animation to have a prime-time slot, however brief. Think about that. Batman: The Animated Series would air the same time as Friends or House. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it.

Looney Tunes is better than DBZ and FMA and nearly any anime I can think of - considering its fundamental quality and yeah, the fact that it doesn't mess up ever throughout a bajillion great episodes.
See, I have an extremely hard time comparing serial animation with anything that forms some kind of narrative. They are so fundamentally different in structure and format to the point of almost being different mediums. I can't, in good conscience, say that a series of 12 minute standalone skits is better or worse than a 51 episode story. That's like saying that "Calvin and Hobbes is better than The Watchmen" or "Penny Arcade is good, but it's not as good as Nausicaa"

As for me

I respect Looney Tunes for how it pioneered pretty much the entire medium of television animation and how well written it was. I still enjoy it just fine, but it's not my favorite in the sense that it doesn't really resonate with me. I'm definitely more of a Spongebob kind of guy, and all am sad that Dexter's Lab doesn't get more love.

If we're talking about non-gag shows then Avatar is by far the best, but The Venture Brothers is also excellent.

Anime doesn't know how to NOT mess up. Bebop is my favorite largely because it's the most solid anime I've ever seen.
I do take issue with his a little bit. Yes, anime has a tendency to flip up the ending, but it's generally far better at telling a story then it's American counterpart.

What I find more interesting is that you object to DBZ over FMA :p
*runs from the Seif n Scythe*)
(Seif n Scythe*)

That said

You can like whatever you want. You sorta get a pass on that kinda thing with nostalgia, it's only an issue when you try to argue that it's better.

Woah, FMA's like, only 6 years old. For me at least, nostalgia is irrelevant on my impressions of it's quality.

I'm not quite sure where you get 'manbrolove' from. Unless by 'manbrolove' you mean 'The love between two brothers in a series of horrifying experiences. ' Bu even so, 'manbrolove' is a net positive for me in general.

I also need to see the Trigun movie.
I just downloaded a 720p dual audio rip.

My goal is to be a Dr. House type m.d.
What, wrong 90% of the time?

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Wrong 90% of the time. Right 99% of the time. The math checks out.

Manbrolove defined "The entire freaking show was about the brothers' relationship." Positive for you, a negative for me. I like the lonely protagonist.

Vice: I use Sk8er boi to get a grasp on a person's singing talent. When I come up you can sing it to me, and I'll judge you. It covers almost 3 octaves in pitch range, and it makes it really obvious when someone sings off tune. :bee:

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Wrong 90% of the time. Right 99% of the time. The math checks out.

Manbrolove defined "The entire freaking show was about the brothers' relationship." Positive for you, a negative for me. I like the lonely protagonist.

Vice: I use Sk8er boi to get a grasp on a person's singing talent. When I come up you can sing it to me, and I'll judge you. It covers almost 3 octaves in pitch range, and it makes it really obvious when someone sings off tune. :bee:
I don't sing on command, but if it's playing I may sing along with it.

Also, you've heard me sing alot in the past I thought.

And House is almost ALWAYS right. He starts by "ruling out" the most common condition expressing the patients symptoms, and as the condition progresses, he continues to narrow it down until he's left with the lone answer. House is amazing.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
I don't sing on command, but if it's playing I may sing along with it.

Also, you've heard me sing alot in the past I thought.

And House is almost ALWAYS right. He starts by "ruling out" the most common condition expressing the patients symptoms, and as the condition progresses, he continues to narrow it down until he's left with the lone answer. House is amazing.
Every episode I've seen (which is given, around 12) has him misdiagnosing the patient and administering the wrong treatment two or three times until he finally ends up right.

Still a good show.

Top Bottom