• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Comparing college football to smash: The SEC is the california of Football. A bunch of really good teams constantly facing each other, improving off of each other.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
1: Don't misquote yourself: You said, "what is this crap?"
2: Your actions speak louder than words. I'll believe you like Queen when you choose to listen to them instead of your strange desire to listen to ke$ha (one of the few musicians Rvn plays that I really can't stand), techno, or generic girl pop. Don't try to tell me you actually appreciate anything else. All I hear are empty words.

edit: And on vice's talking about taylor swift this seems somewhat appropriate
http://i.imgur.com/Bqwi2.jpg
I listen to tons of stuff, all female artists and Simon and Garfunkle mostly , but when I come home to you playing classical I don't change the music either.
And I got tired of Kesha like a month ago.
Besides you only listed to queen songs on the main singers birthday and that's it.

Don't be dumb, Hare

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I always kind of laughed with the old school players who I would see/hear say something about Fox's Nair and how everyone new just wanted to use that move and nothing else, especially to approach. I thought on my own Fox play one day and realized I was just as guilty as all of the "newer" Foxes of playing very Nair-happy. I wasn't really sure what to do about it though because there didn't seem to be many other good approaches besides dash attack(only because LoZR did that a lot did I decide it was good) and running shine sorta as a mixup once in a while.

I got kind of lucky in how I figured this out though(as it seems to happen with most of my revelations haha). I was watching that good ol FC3 crew battle and all its hype, when I saw some of the Foxes going in to play. I had that Nair comment stuck in my mind so I wanted to see what old school thought solid Fox play was.

There were no Nairs. At all.

They were doing like FH Bair and dash attack and upsmash approaches. Otherwise they'd shoot a single laser or two. I thought this was funny because it was exactly what Mow says good Fox play should be like, but also because it didn't seem like it should work to me. It's not like these Fox players got destroyed or anything. They held their own, too.

*For those that hate on the old metagame, while I don't have that theory fleshed out yet, I can say that there is great merit in it still because of the emphasis of smarts if nothing else....sorry for the shoddy backing but I want to save my thoughts of the old metagame for another day haha*

So, rather than just being a regular copycat and saying "okay I'll just add these tricks to my game," I decided to think for a little about why these moves worked as I watched the Foxes play. It didn't take too long either before I made another, somewhat embarrassingly obvious discovery: any move in the game can be used to approach if you get the correct read/conditioning.

*for the skeptics, this at least allows you to open up your mind to the possibility of approaches being outside whatever the "staple" approach options are that can still be effective. hitting with Marth's uptilt, a great combo starter, would be a pretty cool thing to approach with, huh?*

Bair is still somewhat used today, but not really as an approach so much as a wall/spacer. Dash attack and Upsmash use Fox's insane running speed combined with the fact that they jut out in front of him(and in upsmash's case, above him as well).

I played around with Fox's approaches that day or next vs Twitch and found I really could approach with whatever I wanted to if I got the correct read/conditioning. It makes Melee come alive for me when I'm really considering it and knowing how many options I have at my disposal. Combining movement(a key ingredient in approaches and conditioning that I never considered on its own until I heard 2D fighting players say that it was a huge part of Melee haha XD pretty embarrassing once again) with this idea allows for even more unique and sometimes situational approaches that make Melee so deep.

What a good effin game. <3
lookit this guy go

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Since you're horribly wrong on every single of your comments, Rvnnn. There's no use in even arguing with you.

lol Peepee. Old metagame is dumb. ;)

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
there is always a ton of trait influence in ganon players LOL you can realllly see/feel it when you play their falcons.
I hate to beat a dead Epona, but

^Luxo Jr!? I'd probably main Randall or Mulan and secondary Shere Khan

because he's freaking Shere Khan

Who am I kidding, Aladdin is too cool.

Riff-raff, street rat
I don't
buy that
If only they'd look closer
Would they see a poor boy?
No siree
They'd find out
There's so much more to me

Still I think he's rather tasty!

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I'd main Hades or Mulan, secondary Jafar. My low tier would be Pooh.

Also, a Simba but no Scar? Shame.

Randall = Scariest animated cartoon character ever.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Jason would play Tinkerbell like a homo and never get hit.

my c-stick sometimes up-airs when i want a knee so I get grabbed for it and then get grab comboed to 150% or die
Man I do this too. Also accidental bair instead of dair. C-stick tech skill is the dumbest thing to mess up ever wtf.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Jason would play Tinkerbell like a homo and never get hit.

Man I do this too. Also accidental bair instead of dair. C-stick tech skill is the dumbest thing to mess up ever
Everyone makes mistakes, no johns.

You think I'm meaning to get hit everytime and get 0-death'd by Falcon? If I was doing what I wanted at all times, you'd never win :troll:

also, good for you. You know stomping is too good. I didn't ever understand why you fussed at me for using it, it's such a good move and leads to so much.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Well, it's especially disheartening when I've already sunk low enough to try a stomp instead of a skillful move, and then I mess it up and get combowned.

This game sucks, I hate everything, nothing really matters, a day in the life of Ethan, etc.

Vts

Smash Champion
This game sucks, I hate everything, nothing really matters, a day in the life of Ethan, etc.
Oh so you have a girlfriend now arby? i knew that one black girl from kevin's old work would find you somehow and drug you to make her yours :D

also we've decide we suck at melee hardcore

like worse than before

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Last night, Ethan was being Ethan at Denny's and we made up the "Seven Degrees of Nothing Matters" game. You take a random subject (say, tacos) and try to depress yourself in seven steps or less. He did it in three.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
There's some irony. A top Falcon insists it's a terrible matchup, while the top Ganons argue that it isn't all that bad.

I agree with the Ganons ;) 60-40 or thereabouts feels right. Now when you consider the player vs player matchup, those numbers could swing all over the board or mean nothing at all. If a Ganon is flustered or outpaced in skill/matchup knowledge, it can get ugly. The vice versa is also true.

Our matches aren't one-sided or anything, and we both know the matchup...

G. Vice

Smash Lord
There's some irony. A top Falcon insists it's a terrible matchup, while the top Ganons argue that it isn't all that bad.

I agree with the Ganons ;) 60-40 or thereabouts feels right. Now when you consider the player vs player matchup, those numbers could swing all over the board or mean nothing at all. If a Ganon is flustered or outpaced in skill/matchup knowledge, it can get ugly. The vice versa is also true.

Our matches aren't one-sided or anything, and we both know the matchup...
I agree with 60-40. I win enough to make me believe it's possible, but still lose too much to think it's even. Also Linguini says Ganon vs Falco isn't all that bad, but that's cuz he rocks at the matchup. While every other Ganon seems to agree it's horrible. Soo...

Besides, everytime I seem to win you quickly switch from Falcon and say it's not a falcon day or you aren't doing well. So my matchup against him may be lacking against him :/

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I only say it's not a falcon day if I lose the first 10 matches we play. Otherwise I try to keep quiet and give it a few more tries before switching off. If I mained Falcon I wouldn't be so free with my character choice though. I also have to be in the right mindset to stick with whatever character and try to adapt rather than trying with someone else. Those are usually the better days we have; otherwise, I go to Marth and gay you :p

Your matchup issues are with me, not Falcon (although there's always room for improvement). And when you're playing confident I don't have that advantage.

There aren't a whole ton of high level Ganons out there. Just so happens only one of them really knows the Falco matchup (for good reason). It only takes one man (/boy) to set the example, and in our isolated community that's kind of been the rule.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I won't lie, the days you aren't playing Falcon well usually are the days you're the gayest with Marth.

Tis a sad truth.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Marth is no big deal. Just bait his bait.

Let me explain since baiting a bait might not make sense to some people. When he is dash dancing near you trying to get a grab wavedash away and try to grab his grab. Any time he jumps try to get under him and take advantage of the great position. Don't double jump above him, he'll call it out. These are just a couple of scenarios that could play out, but as we all know, you'll have to adapt to your opponent's adapting.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
If I could somehow combine my innate ability to smash and yoshi's thought process vs Arby, I'd destroy him everytime...

Yoshi! Let's fuse! :D

no but seriously marth/cf/sheik/falco/fox/peach are gayy, only ganon is awesome

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Since multiple people are the second fifth third fourth first best Ganon in the state, the results would look very strange. The bracket would have to be represented in 4-dimensional space.

God I hate marth
cause you're predictable at especially bad times

Tweaking a few little things will make a world of difference. Like against Falco, my eyes would always switch to my character when it was getting lasered, which would result in panic mode when Falco suddenly entered my narrowed field of vision. So I started keeping my eyes on him at all times, which has allowed me to really notice the obvious patterns and approaches (and punish since lasers have almost no stun and pivot/wavedash back grab or attack still work fine). You just gotta know you can MOVE.

Many Marths and Sheiks are super susceptible to by-the-book patterns and bad spacing/decision-making followed by panicky defense (oshi I shouldn't have done that SIDESTEP!) Wait for the sidestep or roll or whatever predictable choice they go to first if you think there's the slightest chance you'll miss the initial punish, and watch the hits roll in.

Marths shield a lot. Space and/or delay your aerials or stop messing up your float cancels so you don't get shield grabbed so much. It's like every stock is the same. Free shield grab -> combo to edge because of bad DI -> predictable double jump back float recovery = easy spikes every time. All of these things can be easily remedied.

Hey vts, those falcon types are talking about grabbing double ICs. I know from experience how amazing it is because of throw invincibility (has worked on everyone I've played including Wooper the Peanuts). But you've started shielding immediately and counterattacking in my throw lag... do you think that's a perfect solution? I can't think of a way around it. Maybe up throw would push you too far away to grab me with those little arms... but wavedash OOS would probably still get to me in time. hmm

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
The main problem is that I bate TOO much yoshi. Against characters with less range than peach this isn't a problem. But Marth huge-*** sword covers my wavedash back nair, my float back nair, my bairs, downsmash, pretty much everything gay and campy that I do.

SO I'm going to have to be more aggressive like rusty suggests.
Attack their shieldb use more grabs. Let him not breathe. follow his *** EVERYWHERE
Maybe My peach will become less gay in the process. That might be neat.

Top Bottom