• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
No offense Yoshi, but if you were one of the better players in the crew, you might have a little problem with one of the lesser members(once again, no offense, just real talk) trying to make the crew's decisions. To be honest, I don't remember when you got in the crew officially. I thought you were more let in unofficially because of association. We wanted a crew that could compete, and letting people randomly walk in off the street and join the crew doesn't say much for the kind of crew we are.

First off, we aren't dying. How do you think the crew is dying? We just came off of a high from summer break. We were able to travel more, and now we're not. Doesn't mean we're dying. We just got ACE back, and he proves to be a contender still. We just started school back, and don't get to play as much(at least not me, but I'm assuming you guys as well). Doesn't mean we're dying. Arby has made more progress this summer than anyone, and is keeping up with people like Kos-Mos oos, getting a set off Kage, and is forcing everyone in the crew to step it up if we don't want him to troll us. I'm in the nursing program, and don't have as much time to come smash with you guys. I got a little discouraged when I saw the work load the nursing staff has on us this semester, and thoughts of having to quit smashing did come up, to be honest. But that will soon pass, and this doesn't mean we're dying. Clay is the only person who has stopped playing as much by choice, and it's because he's 26 years old, and has starting having to move on with his life. Kudos to him! It's gonna happen to everyone at some point, and we are all younger than clay and have more time and desire.

Conclusion? We are NOT dying, life is happening.

Why you trying to make us an open crew?? That's dumb. We don't have to be mean, and we can still associate with those that want to play who aren't as good. I have been meeting with someone who's learning and teaching them, trying to get him to come smash with the crew. But you don't see me trying to name him among our ranks.

If being a member is so commonplace to you that you just wanna hand it out to random joes that play smash twice a month, maybe you should start your own little non-competitive crew, instead of trying to call the shots with the big boys. Call UALR and tell them you want to start a melee club and go that route. But don't make decisions without the senior members present, especially considering your rank. A private doesn't call a war planning committee without talking to the Lieutenants and the captains(falcons).

And I can't be sure, but I'm thinking Arby is merely too polite to verbalize what I'm saying. Thus his avoidance of the topic. But you know me, I don't mince words. I heartily disapprove of the idea to make us open crew. If we play people enough, and see potential/promise and we're close with them, sure. Otherwise, play them, encourage them to do play more and get better, but DON'T make rules for us as the whole crew and try to make it open. You have NO authority on the issue.

IF a meeting happened, and nothing was run by me or Arby, It shouldn't carry much validity. If you want to talk about this in person, fine. But I can't agree with the current decision that's been made, whether it was by Yoshiman only, or if he called a meeting and spurred on the notion without some members present.

Guess what, you are the only person who doesn't agree with me. We talked about it at smash n' thrash and everyone but you and saberguy showed up. In addition, being better at melee DOES NOT give you higher rank than anyone else in the crew, that's right you are at the same rank I am. If anything, the only person who's words carry more weight is vts since he did make the crew. This is not a Tyranny or Monarchy, it's a social democracy built off friendship and trust. We all vote on something and it happens. As a result they all agreed with me making your vote null and void. If anything, people who are more active travelers for melee should get more say and when I say this, I mean people who travel out of the region.

Also, when I say the crew is dying I mean everyone will eventually move on with their life. It's probably going to start with chamberlain, then you and then probably end with arby having no one to play. I knew where Ace was and I never considered him as not a contender. I crew is not a crew when there is only one person.

So, we ARE going to allow anyone to join. However this does not come with out conditions. Arby and I have been taking about some condition. One obvious one is, you have be play on a regular basis. Meaning you can't show up once and say you are in the crew, you must play at least twice in a two week period. When you get declined admission to a crew, you feel rejected, but if you are allowed to join you get excited because you are now apart of something that is more than a game.

I was officially invited to the crew by vts once I reached a certain skill level. It's quite annoying that you would post "No offense" knowing that it would offend me. The words "No offense" do not put you in the right. If you know something you say is going to offend someone you shouldn't say it. I figured all your church going a bible studies would have taught you that by now. You offend me more than I can count, and I can count pretty high. Also, I may suffer from my own social problems and I may not be as good as you guys at melee, but that doesn't make me any less intelligent or a lesser person than you. You should get off your "high chair" or I shall go by you some baby food. It does make me sad, but you do treat me as a lesser person. So it became obvious that you don't think of me as a friend. So all I have to say to you is "WHATEVER."

March hare and raven knights opinion doesn't matter, considering they have not joined the crew yet. You guys are already good enough to join the crew.

P.S. - "No Offense"

yoshiman :bluejump:

Vts

Smash Champion
Me, and chamberlin really sat down and came up with the crew name and then made it so it's really chambers call also but all in all we have a crew of friends but we also have a crew of who gets to play in crew battle thats major thing

right now it's

1. chamberlin
2. ace
3. arby
4. vts
5. g.vice
6. saberguy

and at that list we have set up that only one that's 100% on the crews for oos for top 5
is VTS, gvice, and chamberlin. Due to characters we play and of Ace, Arby, and Saberguy we see who the top 2 is playing for the day is to make our top 5 for a real crew battle. I don't feel like i should be on the list but arby says ICs are too good in crews and anything that counters me is taken out by g.vice and anything that counters g.vice we have Chamberlin for so other 2 slots are kind of our free any character slots since i can handle w/e chamberlin loses to most the time.

i welcome anyone to join since it's just like 9 people would love to have enough people to do real try outs and do like real crew battles vs the state.

With chamberlin starting up tuesday night game night i might start saying hey we are going to have some sets and work on power rankings and such. Most likely the ELO system and since we have so little numbers we can do it like once a month or something when we have everyone in the crew there.

I'm cool with opening the crew up to people to join as long as they want to put in the time to get better, i how ever do not want people in the crew who don't want to improve,play for fun, or don't travel that is on our "Crew" list.

I'm all about winning some rep for our state, but we messed up big time with MO we played the crew battle stupid and we lost cus of it.

IHSB is an honorary member due to his skill and he use to live he, he only ever fits into the crew if we don't have enough members, hell i'd love him to join A.S.S. might even ask him.

At the dying thing, we really aren't dying this is post season really summer is the crew battle time, no school, more holidays (that u don't have to work), and more tournaments.

Also we don't crew battle any other state unless we have 4 of the 6 on my list , the list will change in time and really if they have big enough crew we can include everyone, but we will increase the list to make it so we have 10 people or more so we can do really big crew battle would be fun, 40 stock vs 40 stock sounds amazing and where we could shine if all of our crew is decent if not good.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
I'm cool with opening the crew up to people to join as long as they want to put in the time to get better, i how ever do not want people in the crew who don't want to improve,play for fun, or don't travel that is on our "Crew" list.
When I come up if I destroy everybody with my SKILLZ :bee: can I get on without a point system because I'll be able to only come up 1 or 2 times a semester except for breaks?

Now, All following remarks are purely based on curiosity.
Chamberlain never travels (At least that I've heard of)
Ace never travels (At least that I've heard of)

But Tuesday night game night sounds like Chamberlain is going to start again which would be :awesome:.
Is he up for traveling though? Is Ace?
The constraints of real life are disappointingly dire, and if they are never going to go to outside of Arkansas tourny's how are crew battles ever going to work if they are two main members of it?

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Me, and chamberlin really sat down and came up with the crew name and then made it so it's really chambers call also but all in all we have a crew of friends but we also have a crew of who gets to play in crew battle thats major thing

right now it's

1. chamberlin
2. ace
3. arby
4. vts
5. g.vice
6. saberguy

and at that list we have set up that only one that's 100% on the crews for oos for top 5
is VTS, gvice, and chamberlin. Due to characters we play and of Ace, Arby, and Saberguy we see who the top 2 is playing for the day is to make our top 5 for a real crew battle. I don't feel like i should be on the list but arby says ICs are too good in crews and anything that counters me is taken out by g.vice and anything that counters g.vice we have Chamberlin for so other 2 slots are kind of our free any character slots since i can handle w/e chamberlin loses to most the time.

i welcome anyone to join since it's just like 9 people would love to have enough people to do real try outs and do like real crew battles vs the state.

With chamberlin starting up tuesday night game night i might start saying hey we are going to have some sets and work on power rankings and such. Most likely the ELO system and since we have so little numbers we can do it like once a month or something when we have everyone in the crew there.

I'm all about winning some rep for our state, but we messed up big time with MO we played the crew battle stupid and we lost cus of it.

IHSB is an honorary member due to his skill and he use to live he, he only ever fits into the crew if we don't have enough members, hell i'd love him to join A.S.S. might even ask him.

At the dying thing, we really aren't dying this is post season really summer is the crew battle time, no school, more holidays (that u don't have to work), and more tournaments.

Also we don't crew battle any other state unless we have 4 of the 6 on my list , the list will change in time and really if they have big enough crew we can include everyone, but we will increase the list to make it so we have 10 people or more so we can do really big crew battle would be fun, 40 stock vs 40 stock sounds amazing and where we could shine if all of our crew is decent if not good.

Where am I in all this???

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the effort to be more inclusive to the new guys. If we make them feel like a part of something, they may stick around instead of only talking about it and then vanishing. However, I also understand having a skill-exclusive crew on top for inspiration to improve and as a general ranking of sorts. We really have to find some way to grab the attention of all these random players who show up at Gamecon/ARK/etc. Some of them have even played with us after the fact, but only once or twice. We could have a decently respectable community if something was set up, instead of like 9 total players (5 of which can or do play at least once a month). Maybe another group could be formed for all AR smashers who want to get better (which includes a bunch of people we've met and never heard from again, and had potential). The conditions could be playing with us every now and then and/or going to the tourneys. Especially things like the ARK monthly - that should be supported way more than it is. They finally gave us a Melee monthly, and the state ignores it. I don't get it.

tl;dr - exclusive crew good, but not at expense of making all AR smashers feel like a part of something so they stay with it

Tuesday game night is Chamberlin's idea to get together at his apartment for Melee, Magic, and whatever else. His new apartment is bigger, and he knows some gamers/people of similar interests (e.g. two ex-MLG Halo players).

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
It's about making them feel accepted. If there is another way I would like to hear about it.
Hugs and kisses

But In seriousness I can see where you guys are coming from.

just saying a person has potential will not make them want to play against us again. Its just words and hot air. Asking them to join A.S.S. or a secondary smash society will make them proud of themselves and thus wanting to play more, making them get better.
It would definitely make the average skill level of the crew go down at first, but it would lead to a stronger, more numerous smash scene in the future.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Well, no offense taken yoshiman. And for the record, I do actually consider you a friend. I talk frequently with Arby and we vocalize mutual concerns for you, and other friendly stuff. One thing is for sure, you definitely take offense too easily, and you don't take criticism well. You use "I just play to have fun" as a shield to hide behind because losing stinks, believe me, I would know.

Just because I am more vocal, and I don't mince words when I feel the need to say them, doesn't mean that I don't like someone, or don't care about them. And to be honest, if you read the bible alot, you see alot of people being outspoken. Jesus himself even braided a whip and was chasing people out of the temple when he saw them doing wrong stuff. I haven't braided a whip yet, and I've disapproved on many occasions.

So yes, you're my friend. And yes, you do annoy me more than others lol.

All that said, I guess we're an open crew. I still disapprove, but I alone do not sit on the council seat.

Guess I'll just have to quit this crew and get with Ravenknight and Arby and call it "The Best Arkansas Smashers Society" aka T.B.A.S.S

:D

also, Arby we need to smash soon. I feel a bit of rust creeping upon me, and I still would like to be on point enough to put the fear in those Houston guys, as well as make sure team IHSB/G.Vice takes 1st in teams at ARK.

Vts

Smash Champion
Ok we need to have a crew meeting so we are all on the same page and what not

hell we can make the people who play in crew battles called Arkansas Smash Society Elite Squad. (A.S.S.E.S. ) if you want another crew or w/e lol

really just opening up is a good chance for improvement and friendliness, kind of encourages getting better.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
also, Arby we need to smash soon. I feel a bit of rust creeping upon me, and I still would like to be on point enough to put the fear in those Houston guys, as well as make sure team IHSB/G.Vice takes 1st in teams at ARK.
A week of Third Strike made Vts, Will, and I TERRIBLE at Smash. All of us have to play some before ARK so we don't suck.

hell we can make the people who play in crew battles called Arkansas Smash Society Elite Squad. (A.S.S.E.S. ) if you want another crew or w/e lol
The Ginyu Force needs redemption :glare:

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
The Hitachiin Brothers are totally winning Ark Doubles; no hulking evil villain and his missile happy girlfriend is going to take that from the coolest twins in manga or reality
:)
I 'm not sure i'm up to a crew with fishing in its title. Ravens generally prefer to eat fish rather than be one XD

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qamWqOtH7wE#t=140s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mSktQgF8zfg#t=236s

mmm
ango

The Game of Thrones show is OK, but its many changes from the book (great and small) make no sense. Character development and thematic significance are often thrown out the window, or rather pushed. Sometimes, characters are presented or developed in entirely the wrong direction. And the series is graphic enough on its own. You don't need to change scenes for movie channel fan service. It's almost more annoying than Spartacus because now I have a basis for comparison.

Length/pacing isn't even the issue. They're just mishandling the time they have.

could be much much better, but still decent

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
So can I join with everyone knowing my limits? :awesome:

Would it be possible to make a brawl division for us 4 main brawl smashers (Yosh, Kirby, Lash, and I) that could be a branch from A.S.S. called A.S.S.B.D (Arkansas smash society brawl division)?

I still only play brawl and melee competitively and I don't have any favoritism I have the same amount of love for all three

G. Vice

Smash Lord
So can I join with everyone knowing my limits? :awesome:

Would it be possible to make a brawl division for us 4 main brawl smashers (Yosh, Kirby, Lash, and I) that could be a branch from A.S.S. called A.S.S.B.D (Arkansas smash society brawl division)?

I still only play brawl and melee competitively and I don't have any favoritism I have the same amount of love for all three
.......guys seriously. Do not let this become a brawl crew too.

We've obviously stood firmly against Brawl for years now, allowing that would be a pathetic cry of desperation that I just can't stand for.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Just because we love the entire series and you hate on a game just because it doesn't play the same way as a previous title doesn't make it bad.

Also how would it be a cry for desperation?

It's just adding a division that you don't have to be apart of.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I agree with you arby. There's a reason I quit the show after about the 5th episode. Just grew tired of it.

Brawl is bad. It would be a cry of desperation since we would be trying to build up the community by destroying our morals. You guys can make a brawl crew; you can even call it something that is obviously whoring off of A.S.S.'s title. Not much anyone can do to stop you. But it'll have no connection to the melee crew. You'll be an offbrand title whoring off the popularity of the original.

At least says someone who isn't part of A.S.S. yet. :)

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
fine hate the game but dont hate the effort they had to do

Competitive players in melee pushed casual players away because they couldn't have fun so they did what they had to do to keep the series alive and to make sure they keep money to bring more super smash bros.

Actually Sakurai hated brawl's engine but he had to use it to keep nintendo alive and bring another smash to WiiU but there are more brawl players than melee in general (dont know about the competitive scene) I'll go to my church wanting to play melee but everyone else will say "let's play brawl"

It seems to be a bad moral as well its a new installment, engine is almost guaranteed to change to appeal to those who want it. It's just another game. All I've seen is hate over Tech Skill.

Why not play for fun?

I'm not trying to change your minds on how you feel about the game since everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But it deserves at least some respect and not 100% trash talk.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
Let's put it in a nicer way for the brawl players at least.

You can have fun with brawl with the other guys who play brawl; Noone has any problem with you guys having fun.
It's just that playing brawl or watching brawl being played makes melee players worse.
There is a reason that very few really good players are good at brawl and melee
M2k
and that's it
And that's only cause M2k is a technical freak

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a mental game at a slow pace (sans a couple characters/matchups), whereas Melee is a mental game at a very fast pace (sans a couple matchups). Brawl doesn't have a different skill set than Melee at all, but Melee certainly offers a LOT more to incoming Brawlers (although they can also maintain their defensive style and do well if smart enough). Melee just seems like a better package gameplay-wise. Brawl's competitive gameplay is also glitch-ridden. Not that's it's a real issue, but it renders that argument against Melee quite ironic (when Melee's "glitches" were intentional). I don't know if Kirby is serious when he trash talks Melee, but the things he says are super uninformed. He applies generalizations that may only hold true at the lowest levels of the game, if even then. The better players in Melee think just as much as the Brawl guys, but are also interacting through a much faster engine.

"Competitive players in melee pushed casual players away because they couldn't have fun"
That's not what happened at all. MLG is proof of that. Thing is, Melee has something for all skill levels. It also highlights the differences. How many newbies have asked if the video was in lightning mode? It gives you inspiration to improve, but if you enjoy Melee as it is (FFAs with items), you can simply keep on, all while knowing you're playing a really deep game. That's satisfying. Brawl was popular because it was a new smash game. There are a thousand stories of casuals choosing Melee over Brawl because it's more fun to them. Many playing Brawl also makes sense though. It's newer, looks good (to most people), has a nice soundtrack, and has more items, characters, and stages.

"All I've seen is hate over Tech Skill."
Boiling it down to tech skill misses the point completely. Brawl's engine is simply not as well-built and doesn't allow for the variety in gameplay that Melee's does. You can prefer the specific skill set that Brawl tests, but understand why Melee players think you're wimping out for not trying the same thing in Melee. It'd work, but you'd have to work harder at it.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
i wish i live in little rock sometimes.

edit: I start playing Queen. Rvn comes in. Asks me why I play bad music. Switches to Lady Gaga.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Things like that don't happen in civilized parts of the world... do they?

:urg:
I think Raven's excuse is that he's just pretending to be human. Most of the time he's got the human act down pat. But every now and then he makes a major screw up, and everyone realizes he's just a trained monkey.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I think Raven is onto something. Lady Gaga is good.

So is Katy Perry and Taylor swift. These two are also hot, and do not have penises. Two traits I appreciate in women.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I don't have any problem with Lady Gaga. I find her excellent in several ways. But call Queen bad and then switch to her? He's insulting me and then spitting in my face.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
What Adam said. Lady Gaga is good, but not as good as Queen (and derivative both musically and in her name - their song "Radio Ga Ga"). It's like VTS calling the Beatles crap, turning them off, and instead playing Coldplay or something

which I'm pretty sure he's done before...

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
I think Raven is onto something. Lady Gaga is good.

So is Katy Perry and Taylor swift. These two are also hot, and do not have penises. Two traits I appreciate in women.
G.Vice appreciates singers the way I do. The hotter and more female they are the better. Voice is important too I guess

I didn't say I didn't like Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the best songs ever). I said
'what the **** is this' (Queen was singing some song I don't remember the name of, but it was a strange repetition of the primary masculine nominative noun) and then I changed to Lady Gaga

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
1: Don't misquote yourself: You said, "what is this crap?"
2: Your actions speak louder than words. I'll believe you like Queen when you choose to listen to them instead of your strange desire to listen to ke$ha (one of the few musicians Rvn plays that I really can't stand), techno, or generic girl pop. Don't try to tell me you actually appreciate anything else. All I hear are empty words.

edit: And on vice's talking about taylor swift this seems somewhat appropriate
http://i.imgur.com/Bqwi2.jpg

Top Bottom