• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/k1hs0/how_old_were_you_when_you_could_grow_a_bear/

ASOIAF jokes and more bear puns than is rightfully decent

Haven't had electricity in my room for weeks, although the rest of the apartment has power :( Otherwise I would have crawled up in my bed and finished these books before I even began them. Fantasy is just... so GOOD.

I remember tearing through Mistborn in a couple days at the end of our very first semester... my gangster roommate had just moved out of my life forever, winter had come, and I was listening to Death Cab's Plans for the first time on repeat. $15,000 rich on refund checks. How I long for yesterday...

Anyone wanna reminisce about a particular good ol' day? I'm in a sentimental mood.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/k1hs0/how_old_were_you_when_you_could_grow_a_bear/

ASOIAF jokes and more bear puns than is rightfully decent

Haven't had electricity in my room for weeks, although the rest of the apartment has power :( Otherwise I would have crawled up in my bed and finished these books before I even began them. Fantasy is just... so GOOD.

I remember tearing through Mistborn in a couple days at the end of our very first semester... my gangster roommate had just moved out of my life forever, winter had come, and I was listening to Death Cab's Plans for the first time on repeat. $15,000 rich on refund checks. How I long for yesterday...

Anyone wanna reminisce about a particular good ol' day? I'm in a sentimental mood.
http://www.reddit.com/r/nostalgia/

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Forget yesterday,Today is always the best.:)

Of course, I suppose that comes from a build up of good choices throughout my life.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
So we're looking at like 20 OOS Meleers needing housing for ARK. How's this going to work?

~10 from Texas
2 or 3 each from Louisiana and Missouri, however many (5?) from Oklahoma
and Memphis...

we can take maybe 5 tops, since we already have the twins. twins in my room, two on will's air mattress, one on the three-chair couch, two... somewhere. could a few sleep on the couches at seif and saber's, then ride with him to the tourney maybe?

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
My mommy is visiting, and then I am going to take your money at Smash n Thrash ;)

Only Yoshiman and I are coming, so you should get third place

putting off homework until the (sleepless) night before it's due is a bad idea...
I might not join a tourny

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
idk how many people are interested in going but a few of us from rolla might go to this ARK thing. how feasible is housing?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
But it's only five dollars for guaranteed money. If you don't get at least third... the guy who beats you is the newest member of the crew :p
Hey Hey, why you trying have your little buddies join the crew without conferring with your SENIOR MEMBERS??

Huh??

Maybe you should talk it over with "G.Vice" the crew leader :/

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
So we're looking at like 20 OOS Meleers needing housing for ARK. How's this going to work?

~10 from Texas
2 or 3 each from Louisiana and Missouri, however many (5?) from Oklahoma
and Memphis...

we can take maybe 5 tops, since we already have the twins. twins in my room, two on will's air mattress, one on the three-chair couch, two... somewhere. could a few sleep on the couches at seif and saber's, then ride with him to the tourney maybe?
Yosh (Brawl player) can house people too if needed. But I talked with ACE and I didn't mention like 100 people or anything, but he said he can house a good amount of people AFAIK. I'm about to post the info on the ARK thread and he said he'll put his info on there as well. I already asked him about the Texas people (the ones flying in) and the Shreveport people that posted in the ARK thread and he said he can house them.
idk how many people are interested in going but a few of us from rolla might go to this ARK thing. how feasible is housing?
Ace should be able to house a good amount of Meleers.
I'll get in touch with him.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
I assume you're housing Arby? I posted on the ARK IV thread that you were (unless you want me to take it off) and if you want to provide some info about that then that'd be cool. If you don't have room or whatever I can take you off the list. Thanks guys. Melee should be pretty big at ARK IV! :bee:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Hey Hey, why you trying have your little buddies join the crew without conferring with your SENIOR MEMBERS??

Huh??

Maybe you should talk it over with "G.Vice" the crew leader :/
I do not have any little buddies amongst the Little Rock ghetto smash community

I assume you're housing Arby? I posted on the ARK IV thread that you were (unless you want me to take it off) and if you want to provide some info about that then that'd be cool. If you don't have room or whatever I can take you off the list. Thanks guys. Melee should be pretty big at ARK IV! :bee:
Yeah, we can take around five depending on need

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Reddit
---
-the top post on my frontpage devoted to insulting Blackboard (yes!!!), Cisco Clean Access Agent, My Math Lab, and other nefarious tools the universities use to bring us down
-surprise conversations about the IT Crowd in unrelated threads
-this handy mnemonic: http://i.imgur.com/yBvgN.jpg
-reminding me of http://html5zombo.com
-praise of In n Out and Del Taco
"I'll have a large Coke, 3 chicken soft tacos, 2 bean and cheese burritos, 2 burgers and an order of fries..."

"That will be $3.12 at the window please"​
seriously Taco Bell and WacArnold's are more expensive and serve way worse quality food how does that work

I've been awake so long that I've reached my second cycle of being too tired to go to sleep

ain't that a b

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I actually don't have anything planned tomorrow in the least school wise, or anything wise to be honest.

Can I come smash with you Yoshi? I'm sure arby will want to get in on it at some point too.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
But it's only five dollars for guaranteed money. If you don't get at least third... the guy who beats you is the newest member of the crew :p
I might not try and just play like I've never picked up a smash game before

or...

Be a tryhard haven't really decided yet

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Ok guy, I think we should open up the crew and let anyone who wants to join, join. My reasoning is, our community is too small to be picky. So far, every time we find someone who wants to play and get better and then we say you can't join the crew they just quit. Reasoning number two, this crew is dying. Pretty soon everyone will stop playing, whether you are the first to quit or the last. The only way I can see to prevent this is to allow our community to grow. As you guys know, I was about ready to quit melee when you refused to let me into the crew. The only reason I didn't was because I was rooming with arby and we always played. In this small of a community the elitist high chairs need to be broken down for fire wood to fuel our future. I believe this is a serious matter we should discuss.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
I agree with will even though i gave up on joining.

You will always need new players to keep the group alive, without new players it will die eventually.

I gave up only on one rule and that was the "travel to places" rule knowing that I couldn't really go many places the rule wasn't lightened up on so I gave up

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Hmmm....I don't really want to quit the Amazingly Decadent Arkansas Melee 'Smashers crew. I'll think about it. :)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
No offense Yoshi, but if you were one of the better players in the crew, you might have a little problem with one of the lesser members(once again, no offense, just real talk) trying to make the crew's decisions. To be honest, I don't remember when you got in the crew officially. I thought you were more let in unofficially because of association. We wanted a crew that could compete, and letting people randomly walk in off the street and join the crew doesn't say much for the kind of crew we are.

First off, we aren't dying. How do you think the crew is dying? We just came off of a high from summer break. We were able to travel more, and now we're not. Doesn't mean we're dying. We just got ACE back, and he proves to be a contender still. We just started school back, and don't get to play as much(at least not me, but I'm assuming you guys as well). Doesn't mean we're dying. Arby has made more progress this summer than anyone, and is keeping up with people like Kos-Mos oos, getting a set off Kage, and is forcing everyone in the crew to step it up if we don't want him to troll us. I'm in the nursing program, and don't have as much time to come smash with you guys. I got a little discouraged when I saw the work load the nursing staff has on us this semester, and thoughts of having to quit smashing did come up, to be honest. But that will soon pass, and this doesn't mean we're dying. Clay is the only person who has stopped playing as much by choice, and it's because he's 26 years old, and has starting having to move on with his life. Kudos to him! It's gonna happen to everyone at some point, and we are all younger than clay and have more time and desire.

Conclusion? We are NOT dying, life is happening.

Why you trying to make us an open crew?? That's dumb. We don't have to be mean, and we can still associate with those that want to play who aren't as good. I have been meeting with someone who's learning and teaching them, trying to get him to come smash with the crew. But you don't see me trying to name him among our ranks.

If being a member is so commonplace to you that you just wanna hand it out to random joes that play smash twice a month, maybe you should start your own little non-competitive crew, instead of trying to call the shots with the big boys. Call UALR and tell them you want to start a melee club and go that route. But don't make decisions without the senior members present, especially considering your rank. A private doesn't call a war planning committee without talking to the Lieutenants and the captains(falcons).

And I can't be sure, but I'm thinking Arby is merely too polite to verbalize what I'm saying. Thus his avoidance of the topic. But you know me, I don't mince words. I heartily disapprove of the idea to make us open crew. If we play people enough, and see potential/promise and we're close with them, sure. Otherwise, play them, encourage them to do play more and get better, but DON'T make rules for us as the whole crew and try to make it open. You have NO authority on the issue.

IF a meeting happened, and nothing was run by me or Arby, It shouldn't carry much validity. If you want to talk about this in person, fine. But I can't agree with the current decision that's been made, whether it was by Yoshiman only, or if he called a meeting and spurred on the notion without some members present.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Clay is the only person who has stopped playing as much by choice, and it's because he's 26 years old, and has starting having to move on with his life. Kudos to him! It's gonna happen to everyone at some point, and we are all younger than clay and have more time and desire.
I think this is what he means by dying since a lot of you are starting to move on with your life, not as much as Clay has, but you're still moving on.

I know I don't have much of a say but I just wanted to comment on this part only since like you said and I quote "It's gonna happen to everyone at some point"

I'm not saying that you're wrong, if anything I'm agreeing with you on this part.

Once everyone moves on there will be no one to rep Arkansas.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I think this is what he means by dying since a lot of you are starting to move on with your life, not as much as Clay has, but you're still moving on.

I know I don't have much of a say but I just wanted to comment on this part only since like you said and I quote "It's gonna happen to everyone at some point"

I'm not saying that you're wrong, if anything I'm agreeing with you on this part.

Once everyone moves on there will be no one to rep Arkansas.
That doesn't mean we're dying. Just cause one person moves on. Rusty's young, and with the improved effort on the twins I'm sure in time they will continue to rep Arkansas. Well TMH won't cuz MED SCHOOL.

But if you missed the point, the crew's still intact, and probably stronger than it's ever been skill wise.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I agree with Vice. I don't like A.S.S. being open. Arkansas is pulling ahead as one of the strongest states on average, in our region, skill wise. It inspires me to think that I have a goal of beating some of the top 5 regularly and getting into A.S.S. Honestly I don't think I'm that far away. Just need to make my sheik even more gay and campy and make less mistakes on follow ups.

Suddenly making A.S.S. open to every joe from joeville would be disappointing. Although funnily enough I think I'm as good as rusty was when he was let into a.s.s. It's just you guys have gotten better. :(

Also, I'll have time for melee during medschool. Gaming is actually one of my study mediums for memorizing ****. I've been memorizing the love song of alfred j prufrock while playing third strike. Trust me it's legit. ;) As long as arby, yoshi and my twin go to grad schools within easy distance of my med school.

At least this is my dream. Might not prove a reality. Med school might be tougher than I think it is, or the before mentioned are *****es and go somewhere far away. Only time will tell.

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm only going to join a.s.s when I'm good enough to kick all of the a.s.s.'s collective *** XD
When I first started playing with you guys as a new player 2 years ago in little rock, my entire purpose was to get good enough to do just that. So just one more semester is needed by my calculations :)

I'll be disappointed if you old men do not put up a fight xD

Top Bottom