• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Jard you think that it would leave a bad impression having a tournament here. yes most would probably not be the competitive type of people that show up and yes it probably can leave a bad impression because of the venue. People leaving that day (if everything else is ran right) would probably say "**** that venue", "yea what a terrible venue", "Im never going to come back to this house for a tourny" "they should change it to another place." In the first place most of these people that wouldnt like a smash bros tourny in a condo wouldnt even bother to come anyways because it says its an apartment on that on the flyer. By the bookman's tourny I would have answered the nay sayers that acctually came and the nay sayers that didnt come this saturday that wanted it in a good venue, they would all come to the bookman's. The only other way that they wouldnt come is if A. Mean people,They didnt find our scene to be friendly in their first impression on saturday. B. terrible ran tourny, If they see that this saturday we are terrible organizers to the brink of the tourny isnt worst coming to if me or chris was in charge. C. just cant make it that day D. some miscellaneous reason was caused by something that happend at our tourny

A.In our scene I know (and you should know too) That we dont have people that would be mean to newbies and make them not want to come back for that reason.

B. Also we have the experience for hosting tournaments for many months and almost a year now, We have handled many many tournies at the least for the past six months that have had none or just very minor problems that wouldnt scare people away. We have not poorly ran a tournamnet in at least the past six months and we will try our best to run this one just as smoothly as the rest.

C. In no way can we can we influence or change this. If the person has to go to work, he has to go. same if hes sick or got into an accident. there is no way that any of this can be our fault or can we change this to make them come to the venue tourny after the tourny this saturday.

D. What I mean by some miscellaneous reason was caused by something that happend at our tourny could be them getting rapped, Yes this would be our fault but also not our fault at the same time and u should know why so i do not need to explain that to you. Maybe Smoking could also be one of those reasons. But the chances of that are slim, they are mostly ASU students and mostly woulndt mind. If some were to not come because of this reason i can almost garuntee it would be a less than a few.

This saturday, while eliminating all the nay sayers that woudlnt want to do a tourny in a condo (because most of them wouldnt come anyways because its clear its a condo on the flyer) We are left with the people that wouldnt care/ aprrove of being in a condo for a tournament and US. Being in a non big *** venue like our condo can also be very advantagous for a first impression. In such a small venue people would be inclined to talk more, make more friends, and connections and ultimately leading to a happier audience.
This good impression plus the announcement of the new venue would be plenty of hype to make them come to the bookmans venue some time in the next month. Since this excluded most of the people that wouldnt like to be in a condo for a smash tourny and the ones that come to the house and see its small and then straight up leave right then and there(Also i seriously doubt if any, that it would be any where near a high amount of people would leave after they got there because its small. People that come they would want to come for the reason of playing smash and having fun. Because its small wouldnt be a good enough reason for most people to leave, If they werent able to play smash or they werent having any fun i can see that would be thier reason to leave because thats what they came here for. So out of all the ASU students/other new people that reach the door very close to zero of them would leave right away because of this small venue reasoning that you keep spewing out jard.) that leaves the people that want to be there because they want to play smash or socialize and dont care enough about the small venue to hate us and never come back. With this i can almost garuntee that MOST people from this crowd that is left would have a great and fun time playing smash and would want to keep coming back especially knowing that next time is gunna be a much huger venue with much more fun.

As of right then we sealed the deal for most of those guys coming back and the other guys that didnt come because it was too small (if any) or didnt come because it wasnt some type of legit venue name on the flyer would probably read the bookman's tournament flyer next and say "heck yeah this is more like it, I want to come now" So all the guys that came to this saturday's tourny that got a good impression (almost garunteeing all of them) and these newer guys that would come because of bookmans name would still be the same or close to the same amount of an increase in our scene as it would be if we didnt do flyers for this saturday's tournament. Thus Resulting in

1. Our goal, A bigger scene in general.

2. Better turn out for this saturday's tourny, the bookman's toourny, and for futrue tournaments to come

3. More friends, just more people and buddies to hang with/ get to know, earlier and faster than your way jard.

4. People getting practice and getting better earlier and faster.

These 4 reasons are exactly want we want.

Jard, not putting up the flyers would be ********. Doing it your way would just make 1., 2., and 4. happen but include a month waiting period as well.

You have a great point, Jard. People would be uncomfortable in this venue, but i think having a HUGE turn out for this upcoming tournament and the bookman's tourny is a better opportunity cost.

forward

Smash Champion
Although you guys don't run bad tournaments they are also not professional level either. A lot of people hold off on playing matches to watch other ones.

Your house cannot hold much more than it already does for the tournaments you have ran and those are already borderline uncomfortable. There's no where to sit. I'm already squeezing between people to get to a TV. I'm assertive and comfortable enough to get through people but a lot of strangers won't be.

Actively attending tournaments is a life style. You have to want to play the game and improve to some degree. If you have no interest whatsoever of improving and proving your skill then there is no reason to go to a tournament. We need to promote competition and convince new players they want to join the competitive scene and live that lifestyle. We need to "sell" them the tournament scene. We'll have to show them that there is room for them and they are wanted in the scene, we need to convince them they are valuable because people like to feel valued. If the venue is crowded they won't believe there is room for them.

Let's be realistic here, not hopeful. We can hope that people won't mind a crowded venue and risk the loss of new players in the scene, or we can not worry about that all together and know with certainty that we are giving new players the best experience possible.

JustinKamikaze

Smash Ace
^^^^

I totally agree, and remember there are a lot of young players that don't come because its at some strangers place. A venue like Bookmans shows more professionalism and trust from players/parents. Chris's place does get crowded and uncomfortable at times. Think of how new players might feel coming alone not knowing anybody and you have to admit we all would talk to each other more than to newcomers, so they might feel like they are just taking up space. So yea for promoting a bigger scene and gathering new players having the tourney advertised at a venue is the best option.

ALSO

TEACH THESE NEW PLAYERS HOW TO PLAY!

don't scare them away because you want their money *****

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
You do not understand still. If we put up the flyers then we get better as much people coming to our bookmans tourny as there would even if we didnt put up the flyers. With flyers up the changing factors would be having a great turn out this saturday with uncomfortable people that would come back to our bookman's tourny anyways (all explained why in my recent post). Also we will be trying our best to make this possible. We are probably going to have three rooms availble for this tourny. Me and chris are moving into yan's room so now we will use our old room as an extra room. I will make this work for this saturday and you guys will see how much of a success this tourny and the next will be.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Diving into the middle of your post:
People that come they would want to come for the reason of playing smash and having fun. Because its small wouldnt be a good enough reason for most people to leave, If they werent able to play smash or they werent having any fun i can see that would be thier reason to leave because thats what they came here for.
With such a small, overcrowded venue. Guess that's going to happen to people? They won't be able to play smash. One, like what Sean said, we already have to climb over people and be assertive to try and get to a tv. Almost every TV in the venue is hard to get to, and while there will be people who man up and ask people to move, there could be plenty of people that aren't as confident in themselves, especially around a bunch of people that they don't know who'll be afraid to try and get people to move. Two, last tournament, while it's kind of an accomplishment, I'd say we maxed out on our setups. We had 9 setups. We had both brawl and melee, but I'm thinking for the sake of the tournament they'd all have to be brawl setups this time. Either way though, that's enough for 18-36 people, depending on what style of match was being played. I'm going to go out and guess that a lot of the people who come are used to free-for-alls, and will want to play some. That's good, assuming people in our scene won't mind playing ffa's (which I'm sure the majority won't, in order to improve the scene). But what happens when we're stuck with an actual tournament to play in? Maximum amount of people that could be playing at once is 18, and I'm **** sure you guys are expecting a lot more than just an 18 man tournament. This leaves plenty of people without play time. Especially if you guys don't do pools this tournament (I didn't read the thread really so I'm not sure), people aren't getting to do what they came to do, in your words. They don't get to play smash. And you even admitted that this could prevent them from wanting to come back.

I know Chris has a lot of tournament hosting experience (I say this because, sorry, but I've never really seen you do stuff to speed the tournament up. You could very well be doing things when I'm not around, but whatever.) So assuming that he really gets into it and is actively hosting, that's a great help. But he hasn't done a tournament of this size in such a small place. At the peak of our renewed scene, we ran 20 +/- man tournaments. Unfortunately, those tournaments often ran past midnight. To spend roughly 12 hours+ with what I'm guessing is well over 30 people (even PnT tournaments get 40+) is not always the most enjoyable thing. Tension will rise, people will smell bad, and it will only set people off.

Maybe I'm being extremely negative with what I think most people's thought processes are, compared to your extreme-optimism, but I can't picture people thinking "oh, the venue was small, but I can't wait to come back if they host a tournament at another, more spacious location!" I can see plenty of them saying "**** this ****"

Jane

Smash Hero
I can't picture people thinking "oh, the venue was small, but I can't wait to come back if they host a tournament at another, more spacious location!" I can see plenty of them saying "**** this ****"
i lold.

everyone has the same end goal in mind here - a bigger, healthier scene. if you think about it, the "safer" more secure option for obtaining that goal, is to just not put out the flyers for this saturday's tourney. thats all.

forward

Smash Champion
Most of the community is in favor of delaying the big tournament until you can get the bookman's venue. Of course Kira and Chris have the final say on whether they promote the big tourney for the condo or not but the majority is in favor of the delay.

Democracy or dictatorship?

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
And I agree with Duff0. ^_^ And this is coming from a person who is new to the Smash scene, if that means anything.

My reasoning basically boils down to what Jar'd elaborated so proficiently, in that the 20 or so people we had at your condo in the last tourney was already pushing the limits of what it can hold. Though I had a ton of fun at "****", I would have preferred if I at least had a place to sit down in-between matches, lol. Kira, I concur that having a small venue certainly makes it easier for people to be more social, but there's really not much more room for growth at your place. So as most people are saying, if we're going to have the tourney at your place this weekend, it would probably be best not to use flyers. Nevertheless, we respect all the hard work you have been putting into this, especially with how you've obtained a bigger venue! :)

Also, I don't know if this would be possible if we were to obtain more attendees, but Round Robin tourneys are an incredibly effective way to make participants quickly feel like they're part of the Smash scene. :)

k9.

Smash Ace
Well the only reason why i agree with kira is because we *****s lol

but jard really has a good point.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
Diving into the middle of your post:

With such a small, overcrowded venue. Guess that's going to happen to people? They won't be able to play smash. One, like what Sean said, we already have to climb over people and be assertive to try and get to a tv. Almost every TV in the venue is hard to get to, and while there will be people who man up and ask people to move, there could be plenty of people that aren't as confident in themselves, especially around a bunch of people that they don't know who'll be afraid to try and get people to move. Two, last tournament, while it's kind of an accomplishment, I'd say we maxed out on our setups. We had 9 setups. We had both brawl and melee, but I'm thinking for the sake of the tournament they'd all have to be brawl setups this time. Either way though, that's enough for 18-36 people, depending on what style of match was being played. I'm going to go out and guess that a lot of the people who come are used to free-for-alls, and will want to play some. That's good, assuming people in our scene won't mind playing ffa's (which I'm sure the majority won't, in order to improve the scene). But what happens when we're stuck with an actual tournament to play in? Maximum amount of people that could be playing at once is 18, and I'm **** sure you guys are expecting a lot more than just an 18 man tournament. This leaves plenty of people without play time. Especially if you guys don't do pools this tournament (I didn't read the thread really so I'm not sure), people aren't getting to do what they came to do, in your words. They don't get to play smash. And you even admitted that this could prevent them from wanting to come back.

I know Chris has a lot of tournament hosting experience (I say this because, sorry, but I've never really seen you do stuff to speed the tournament up. You could very well be doing things when I'm not around, but whatever.) So assuming that he really gets into it and is actively hosting, that's a great help. But he hasn't done a tournament of this size in such a small place. At the peak of our renewed scene, we ran 20 +/- man tournaments. Unfortunately, those tournaments often ran past midnight. To spend roughly 12 hours+ with what I'm guessing is well over 30 people (even PnT tournaments get 40+) is not always the most enjoyable thing. Tension will rise, people will smell bad, and it will only set people off.

Maybe I'm being extremely negative with what I think most people's thought processes are, compared to your extreme-optimism, but I can't picture people thinking "oh, the venue was small, but I can't wait to come back if they host a tournament at another, more spacious location!" I can see plenty of them saying "**** this ****"
First off with the venue we would be opening a third room for extra space and extra tvs.
Second off, you argued that last time you guys maxed out with 9 setups making only 18 people able to play at once and the others not being able to play and them being left out and leave. You being serious with that arguement??? I know you have been to many tournies so you should know that there is always wait time between matches, the venue doesnt change this. Bookman's would be the same we have to bring in our own equipment. Say we maxed it out with 9 tv's again it would be the same wait time in both venues. The venue doesnt matter, it only contributes to space. And As i said three rooms would now be in use those three rooms equal the size of the space that we are going to get at bookman's. All bookman's will add to our play area is more people in general and some random *** people walking in the room to see whats up and to leave.
Third off people not being able to play wouldnt be the venues fault. It would be not having enough setups or having enough but them all being taken.

To sum this whole thing all up the space in our place this saturday will be as big as bookman's play area.

The only reason people wouldnt be able to play with would be setups, NOT the venue.

There is really no way i can see you disagreeing at this point People WILL come back (explained in my recent posts) and both tournaments WILL be successful. This is graunteed. This is Truth.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
These are ASU students you really think they are going to give a **** about the semi dirty floor. The only people that wouldnt come back because of a dirty floor would be an extreame neat freak which would be kinda rare for this to happen. They want to play and have fun. Yes, I will be cleaning up the floor before the venue to prevent even the small single digit percent chance of this happening.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
When I said we maxed out on setups, I don't mean the maximum amount of setups that people would bring. I meant the maximum amount of setups that we could fit in the house. My bad on not clarifying for that. But either way, even adding your/chris's room, we get an extra space which I guess can add an extra 2 setups. So 22-44 people at a time I guess is better. Of course though, like I said, that's only if every single setup is for brawl.

And ok, it adds a little bit extra space, but the majority of the action happens in the main room, which, unfortunately, doesn't get any bigger. Overall, that one extra room doesn't give us enough space to fit another 15-20 people comfortably. It's still going to be overly crowded. You keep saying "Oh I completely explained why even the pope would come back to the next tournament" which I find pretty BS. You're being way too optimistic. While I may be being pessimistic, in a situation like this, pessimism>optimism. Planning for the worst is the safest option. If you think all these people are so happy over everything, then let's just host every tournament at your place. You're assuming that they won't nitpick anything at all, and totally blame any and every complaint on the fact that the place was small, but if they hosted it at another place it would turn into something as good as the Olympics. Overall first impressions mean a lot on people.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't you posting these fliers at video game stores and other places as well? Ie. not every person that comes will be an ASU student.

The thing is, everyone has already show that they think you're being overzealous with trying to increase our scene. It's great that you want to make it bigger, I'm sure everyone here wants us to develop and increase, but for maximum effectiveness, waiting would be the best idea. Like Justin said, it gives these people, who's life styles don't really involve active tournament participation time to plan and make sure they can attend, and it'll give them a better experience when they finally do come. We've gone a long time with small tournament entrance, and while it sucks balls, I don't think anyone would mind one more tournament for the sake of having exponential scene growth.

Finally, I just had a feeling that we could be severely under-estimating the tournament attendance. Play N Trade Tournaments, which advertising only inside their store and on their website, reach 40+ people. It's very possible that the attendance could be something that none of us could plan for...

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
When I said we maxed out on setups, I don't mean the maximum amount of setups that people would bring. I meant the maximum amount of setups that we could fit in the house. My bad on not clarifying for that. But either way, even adding your/chris's room, we get an extra space which I guess can add an extra 2 setups. So 22-44 people at a time I guess is better. Of course though, like I said, that's only if every single setup is for brawl.

And ok, it adds a little bit extra space, but the majority of the action happens in the main room, which, unfortunately, doesn't get any bigger. Overall, that one extra room doesn't give us enough space to fit another 15-20 people comfortably. It's still going to be overly crowded. You keep saying "Oh I completely explained why even the pope would come back to the next tournament" which I find pretty BS. You're being way too optimistic. While I may be being pessimistic, in a situation like this, pessimism>optimism. Planning for the worst is the safest option. If you think all these people are so happy over everything, then let's just host every tournament at your place. You're assuming that they won't nitpick anything at all, and totally blame any and every complaint on the fact that the place was small, but if they hosted it at another place it would turn into something as good as the Olympics. Overall first impressions mean a lot on people.

If I'm not mistaken, aren't you posting these fliers at video game stores and other places as well? Ie. not every person that comes will be an ASU student.

The thing is, everyone has already show that they think you're being overzealous with trying to increase our scene. It's great that you want to make it bigger, I'm sure everyone here wants us to develop and increase, but for maximum effectiveness, waiting would be the best idea. Like Justin said, it gives these people, who's life styles don't really involve active tournament participation time to plan and make sure they can attend, and it'll give them a better experience when they finally do come. We've gone a long time with small tournament entrance, and while it sucks balls, I don't think anyone would mind one more tournament for the sake of having exponential scene growth.

Finally, I just had a feeling that we could be severely under-estimating the tournament attendance. Play N Trade Tournaments, which advertising only inside their store and on their website, reach 40+ people. It's very possible that the attendance could be something that none of us could plan for...
Jard first off im not trying to be optimistic im being realistic. Im pretty much explain ed why every would come back all the reasons for it and and everything. Im not trying to be happy go lucky im simply stating what would acctually happen over anything else.

There is more of a chance for them to come back then anything else and its a VERY VERY high chance

I already told u, ofcourse they will be nitpicky, but im assumeing that they wont be critical enough to not come back based off of how college students acctually are, not how most people in the world acctually are. Im only putting up these fliers at ASU. This Arguement would be more in your favor if you considered from the begining that these are College students. I garuntee as much as it would annoy em, that theres a dirty floor, or its hot, or its cramped, they wouldnt just straight up leave. Who would do that... The people your talking about it might have a higher rate of doing that, but not the people im talking about, the actual people that are going to be coming. Which are college students.

I dont know why you are arguing with me anymore anyways. I already said the living room/ kitchen, the side room, and chris's room/mine put together are as big as bookman's venue room which we are going get (most likely). Pretty much saying the most space we can possibly do. So if you decline having them come to this tourny might as well decline them from coming to bookman's as well because i guess they are just both too small. maybe we should just keep our scene as small as it is now because the venues arent quite big enough in your standard.

Also to be honest an attendace that probably none of us can plan for is much better than our ussual 13 entrance singles and 4 team entrance doubles. It will be frustrating and annoying but not even close to that of a way too small tourny.

Way too big >>>>>>>>> Way too small.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
You know that old-*** screensaver where the camera is going through a maze and only turns in one direction, and it takes forever to win because it just keeps hitting walls?

That's what this thread is like right now lol

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
I've been to countless Phoenix anime convention Brawl tournies and about two comic-book-store-sponsored tournaments, but until I became familiar with some of the names/faces of the Smash scene, I wasn't willing to go to someone's house to play, since strangers aren't exactly the most comforting thing to have when stuck in a potentially small venue. Ultimately, if we really want to attract many new Smash scene players, a more public area would be the way to go.

Also, let's not forget that Bookman's is easier to find, cleaner, and if the play area is an open space, would eliminate some of the traffic issues we've been having. Though I can't say that the mess at your place was significant enough to keep me from coming back. ^_^

It's very possible that the attendance could be something that none of us could plan for...
LMAO, I love how ominous this sounds. Frankly I wouldn't want to have controller-wielding gamers get mad at us because they couldn't fit in our venue. o_O; They could start choking us with their cords, fling their controller like a mace-and-chain...let's try our best to prevent this. ;_;

hi Rave.

10charabancs
Oh hello there Derp! Um, I'm sorry I only understood the "hi Rave" part. ^_^

Oh and I go by "Remix" actually, as it's easier to discern than "Rave" when people are yelling out my name to go up next in a tournament. :) Also, yelling out "rave" can be misinterpreted as someone yelling out "****," which is never good.

Truthfully kira/chris's place wasn't nessecarily the nicest venue. But I didn't mind it truthfully. Sure it had its pull backs but it seemed like an easier way to warm up to the scene than previous tournies I've been to. I mean I haven't been to a lot of tournies but when I was at the condo I didn't feel like just another face in the crowd like I do when I usually go to events like that. But a little more walking room would be nice.

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
Kira, If a college student is not already in the scene most likely they won't show up to this. It's "Smash Bros" hardcore to us, and childish to others. If you do post flyers you are more likely to get younger kids from like ages 10-13 showing up. Kids that age are more likely to show up lose, and never see them again. Not sure what we could do to get more older, mature people to show up.

Are we going for older players who will join up on smashboards and try and learn the game? Or the occasionally smasher that plays with their friends and thinks Pikachu is OP, and we could take their money? (LOLS)

We should do tournaments similar to the Huston guys. The scene is crazy over there. 120 people showing up too random tournaments.

Just saying....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=284863 AZ should practice!

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Jane and k9 took my side lol.

And no, more attendance than we could plan for is not better, in this situation. It goes back to what Forward said about attending tournaments actively is a life style. Their very first tournament lasting until 3 in the morning in a cramped place is not the best thing, and it's not even that fun for the rest of us.. Though, I'll admit, besides the fact that I'm envisioning more room to fit setups at the bookmans venue, going between the two wouldn't really change the overall experience.

And I guess not knowing the dimensions of the bookmans room is one flaw with me, but the thing is, having one large room is better than having multiple small rooms, connected with a crowded corridor.

Whatever, no use arguing in this anymore. You're the TO, your say goes. I'm assuming you've already put up the fliers, and if not, then Justin's point on giving people time to plan ahead will probably play in, and then in that case we won't have too many more attendants.

reserving the right for a "told you so" and a bunch of mocking if things turn out like I predict

Top Bottom