• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Of course you "can" go to tournaments and win money. But that takes practice. But with the size of the scene and whatever else, the amount of time you spend practicing it is effectively wasted compared to practicing Brawl. I'm not saying don't play it, I'm not saying it's a bad game, I just think taking it seriously, assuming you also want to succeed in Brawl/Melee/any other game, isn't an effective use of time. If all you want to do is play a bunch of fun games, then who gives a ****, play all those games you want. Just acknowledge the reason behind your potential poor performance at a specific thing.

If you want to put out the league thing though, then I'd say that all of you guys practicing Brawl and wanting to go out of state is a waste of time too. No one in this thread is going to make money traveling and playing in other regions. Prove me wrong. I dare anyone.

Also Bryce, since apparently I forgot in my last two posts, sad to see you go. D: Dallas literally just moved back to AZ too and was wondering how like you and Chris and other people were doing, he was looking forward to seeing you guys whenever we decided to go to a tournament.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Of course you "can" go to tournaments and win money. But that takes practice. But with the size of the scene and whatever else, the amount of time you spend practicing it is effectively wasted compared to practicing Brawl. I'm not saying don't play it, I'm not saying it's a bad game, I just think taking it seriously, assuming you also want to succeed in Brawl/Melee/any other game, isn't an effective use of time. If all you want to do is play a bunch of fun games, then who gives a ****, play all those games you want. Just acknowledge the reason behind your potential poor performance at a specific thing.

If you want to put out the league thing though, then I'd say that all of you guys practicing Brawl and wanting to go out of state is a waste of time too. No one in this thread is going to make money traveling and playing in other regions. Prove me wrong. I dare anyone.

Also Bryce, since apparently I forgot in my last two posts, sad to see you go. D: Dallas literally just moved back to AZ too and was wondering how like you and Chris and other people were doing, he was looking forward to seeing you guys whenever we decided to go to a tournament.
Kira took second in Vegas just a few months ago

But yeah i'm gonna start ****ing up OOSers =)

Basically: I don't give a **** and there will be no mercy
when I get good

Jar'd

Smash Ace
**** dude you ruined my whole motivational "call people bad so they want to get better" thing

But seriously, P:M just seems like another fad thing. It'll probably wind up like Brawl+ and Brawl-, regardless of whether it's a good game or not. Sure people might have had brawl- tournaments, and it might have even been a featured side event at a national, but looking at it from right now, it's pretty obvious that it wasn't very meaningful.

Jane

Smash Hero
I would say playing LOL is way more a waste of time then playing PM, because no one in this thread is going to make money from playing it. The point is you have fun playing it. Now should you practice brawl over LOL? That is your choice.
i can't believe i'm actually about to defend lol but, thats a bad comparison. the competitive scene in lol, and in turn, the money to be made from lol, is at an all-time high. so the potential for money is there for lol big time. and as we all know, time = money, so competitive lol is not a waste of time. the potential for money in PM? extremely low. the PM community is a community inside of a community. communi-ception if you will. it has a very bleak future and will remain forever "a game that smashers play." not gamers in general, not competitive fighting game players, only a game that smashers (read: competitive smash players) will really play.

tl;dr lol > pm
and coming from someone that has an extreme distaste for lol, thats saying something.

Yummy!

Smash Apprentice
well that was sudden Bryce XD bye man good luck in Texas ! if you want a good fast paced game play melee <.< its way bigger than pm will ever be

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Competitive Pokemon is where its at Hahaha jk jk but there are alot of tournaments going on weekly! I wonder what the scene is like when i check it out today at asu :p

:phone:

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I'd be up for it if Heysuess can pick me up on the way.

Had a blast last night by the way, thanks for the bbq and *** whooping in UMvC3 Heysuess, I still want more. : P

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
omg lol it just came out of nowhere! so embarrassed now, but was hella angry after the set. and i was cramping up on my right side during the last match vs SK :(

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Pardon the interruption, but could y'all please use "N******" instead of the word itself?
People will still know what you're talking about, it's easy to type, and I don't have to infract for it.

And I really hate infracting.

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Who do you play?

I guess Juri, but I haven't really decided on anyone yet. I have been messing around with Rufus lately, who seems really fun, but I always **** up the lk>hp link in actual matches lol. There are still so many other characters that I want to try out too, though.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Pardon the interruption, but could y'all please use "N******" instead of the word itself?
People will still know what you're talking about, it's easy to type, and I don't have to infract for it.

And I really hate infracting.
but I used the good ol' exclamation point for the i :bee:

.....:embarrass:

I know it's at moderator discretion, so I can't complain, but shouldn't that group of symbols (with ! ) be censored anyway?

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Jane check the tournament listings for vgc in az Theres a **** load. You can still play ppl wifi or in person 1v1s :p its still huge either way

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I know it's at moderator discretion, so I can't complain, but shouldn't that group of symbols (with ! ) be censored anyway?
You mean caught by the auto-censor?
I think the main problem with that is that if EVERY little method for dodging the censor like that was to be added to the auto-censor, it would get really messy really fast.
It would also end up pointless in the end because people would just end up finding a new way to avoid using that specific line of characters to dodge the censor.
Like if "Tidus" was censored, we'd have to add:
Tidus
T!dus
T.idus
T.!dus
Tidus
T!dus
Tidus
T!dus
T.idus
T.!dus
T.idus
T.!dus
Tidus
T!dus

The list just goes on and on.

The easiest, cleanest method is to censor the core words that people may not know not to say (like normal curse words and those random words that are censored for various reasons) and just deter people from dodging something that gets censored automatically.
I mean, would you really go to the trouble of using an exclamation mark over the "i" if you didn't know that "N*****" was censored? I seriously doubt it.

Or at least, that's my understanding of why we don't auto-censor things like that.

BTW. You shouldn't hesitate to complain or anything, as long as you aren't complaining just to troll. ^^;
Matter of fact, there's an entire board for complaining about users or site policies and a suggestion box for suggestions.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
no no I have no problem with the site policy or anything. I just wondered fleetingly after the infraction why some iterations of expletives weren't censored already. Not that I can feign innocence, as you imply :ohwell: it's a fair cop

the part in the rules where it says, "at the discretion of the staff." kinda kills any complaint someone would make anyway lol

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
the part in the rules where it says, "at the discretion of the staff." kinda kills any complaint someone would make anyway lol
That pretty much just applies to inappropriate content infractions.
Censor dodging is pretty black-and-white. If you did it, you did it.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
I want to switch the upcoming PR theme back to FF characters only, since a JRPG theme is a little too broad. Here's what everyone has picked so far:

RaveRemix - Quistis (FF8)
Silly Kyle - Tifa (FF7)
GV7 - Liltie (FFCC)
K9 - Cloud (FF7)
Aaven - Cid (FF13)
SmileyFace - Terra/Ramza (FF6/FFT)
Yoshiken - Captain Basch Von Rosenburg of Dalmasca (FF12)
MeowKitteh - Vivi (FF9)
Darkshifter -
Yummy -
KiraFlax -
Stevo

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Angela has been to multiple tournaments, and has done fairly well at all of them. I think she has a good chance to be on the PR.

Anyways, I asked her and she said that she would like to be "a chocobo" if she got the PR spot :).

Also, I might change mine soon. There are so many different characters I have in mind.

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I didnt know the theme was decided yet for the PR. Final fantasy characters............. meh.

Edit: can I choose from some kingdomhearts characters?

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Actually, I'd like to change my PR Decision to Noel from FF13-2, he's boss as hell.

[COLLAPSE="Noel"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Top Bottom