• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we should allow the banning of neutrals. They're called neutrals because there shouldn't be any real reason for banning them. And always having FD as an option was one of those arguments that helped persuade people that a particular ruleset doesn't cater to MK
This. The fact of the matter is that the community as a whole feel that he is too overpowered (whether he is banworthy is a different story), so at the very least we cannot allow him the additional advantage of having FD striked.

Also, in terms of the timer, it is worth keeping it at 10 minutes instead of 8, since it would be best to avoid games that are won via timeout/stalling (ultimately if the timer is excessive, people will usually be inclined to play normally through the whole match). I would probably be okay with 9 minutes though if people really want to see a drop in match duration.

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
yummy get skyward sword from the *****s so i can play it :D

also we know stevo is going to get 2nd in the low tiers. so ima get 1st :p

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
This. The fact of the matter is that the community as a whole feel that he is too overpowered (whether he is banworthy is a different story), so at the very least we cannot allow him the additional advantage of having FD striked.

Also, in terms of the timer, it is worth keeping it at 10 minutes instead of 8, since it would be best to avoid games that are won via timeout/stalling (this is because if the timer is excessive, people will usually be inclined to play normally). I would probably be okay with 9 minutes though if people really want to see a drop in match duration.
We barely have any matches that go to time with 8 minutes anyway, and even if they do, I honestly am not opposed to timing-out as a method of winning. Idc what the time is, 9 sounds fine

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
The timer doesn't really need to be 10 minutes. I haven't really seen too many matches above 8 minutes...

I personally think neutrals should be strikeable. There are a handul of characters that have significant advantages on some of those stages. Like ICs and Diddy on FD.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
I personally think neutrals should be strikeable. There are a handul of characters that have significant advantages on some of those stages. Like ICs and Diddy on FD.
Well, I think the main argument is that once FD is stricken, MK is OP. I would worry more about an MK on Battlefield than ICs or Diddy on FD any day
Timing out is a totally legitimate strategy that takes skill and mental strength to accomplish.
It also requires one to stall.
Assuming that the act of timing out is not done by simply realizing you're out of time amid trading blows (but then it wouldn't have been your strategy in the first place and can't be considered on purpose and is only by virtue of campy characters and such), but is in fact someone trying their damndest to get away from battle for the last 5 seconds or so.
But the line between stalling and "getting to a better position" is a real skinny bitch, so a stalling rule is almost never evoked.
I would agrue for timing-out simply because when time becomes an actual decisive factor, the game changes from who can kill each other sooner to who can get away most cleanly with creating a damage difference, which seems like a perfectly respectable and even premise for winning a match.
If it boiled down to a player telling me the other guy kept playing keep-away and they couldn't catch them, I would tell them they failed to choose the proper character or that they let the lead go away too early. (This excudes instances of planking and scrooging which turns improbable to impossible, if we allo MK, we would need to be strict with how they abuse thei power to plank and scrooge.)
I try to be Socratic about it, but honestly I like watching the reaction of players and the crowd when there's a time-out match :troll:

k9.

Smash Ace
Timing out is the easy way out if you think about it, lol.

You have to be camping really hard and running away to time people out. Its just dum, keep the timer at 10 min. The rule set doesn't need any adjustment.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
who can get away most cleanly with creating a damage difference.
actually I guess that ought to be the method at all times lol
You have to be camping really hard and running away to time people out. Its just dum, keep the timer at 10 min. The rule set doesn't need any adjustment.
If the camping is working, that's just what the character does. It's when there's intentional bailing of the fight (planking) that makes it dumb

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Oh, this just came to mind and it concerns you K9, and Kevin
I think we should make it a rule that if a game within a set has finished on a particular tv, the set must be finished on that tv, assuming that the first game can be ended early if there's a legitimate reason to switch
Legitimate: the av cables keep coming loose and the screen is flickering
Illegitimate: These university tv's hurt my neck waaaah

k9.

Smash Ace
It didn't hurt my neck lol, i have bad eye sight so that is why. Alright that's cool.

But the rule set should not change. I mean rave can do whatever he wants with the tourney, but imo it should stay the same.

No one in this state times other people out anyway.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
whats wrong with switching tvs?
I just remember Wafty and his partner being on a hefty roll against Shawn and Kevin in doubles a while ago, and it seemed like the n!ggas were attributing their losses to the tv, and that just sounded like a dumb cop-out.
It's kind of a subjective thing but I feel momentum, or mojo or whatever gets ****ed when you're asked to continue somewhere else for no good reason.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Illegitimate: These university tv's hurt my neck waaaah
Hmm.. Sounds familiar. We should also state what matches are best out of before they begin. :sadeyes:

Drastically change the ruleset, I want some stage diversity. I swear, every match starts on smashville.

3 stock 8 minutes, we don't need the 10 minute timer. If someone was going to time out, 8 or 10 minutes, it will still be painfully boring.

k9.

Smash Ace
Losers finals is always 3/5, there is absolutely no need for an notification after 3 years of the game being played competitively.

2nd if you guys wanna change the rule set i don't care, everyone will still get bodied XD.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
All I know is that it's gonna take a lot more to convince me that 8 minutes is worth going back to. While attempting to time out does require skill, it is usually much less punishable than camping, so for that reason I don't want to change it to a time limit that would make timeouts occur much more frequently. I'm actually leaning heavily toward changing it to 9 minutes, since the community is pretty split between the 8 and 10 minute timer rule. Might as well meet in the middle, no?

This is just a wild brainstorm, but what if FD was bannable, with the exception of when a player who won the previous match is going to pick Metaknight their next match?

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I had to call Robert *Rob* for the brilliant pun I used in my previous message. Although, because you are the only Smasher I know who enjoys K-Pop music as much or more than I do, you still have a special place in my heart.

@Aaven Goyf can do no wrong, can he? <3
My laptop wallpaper is a collage of SunSica (Sunny and Jessica) pictures. My firefox browser on this computer is Taeyeon-based. My Android Tablet wallpaper is Taeyeon.

I just love 소녀시대 and 카라... :x
But I love J-Pop and J-Rock a lot too.

she's italian by blood, but she is an american (living in america).
I'm Japanese by choice, but I am an American (living in America).
And filipino/mexican/sicilian/british by blood.

It didn't hurt my neck lol, i have bad eye sight so that is why. Alright that's cool.

But the rule set should not change. I mean rave can do whatever he wants with the tourney, but imo it should stay the same.

No one in this state times other people out anyway.
Want to borrow my glasses at the tourney? I've got two pairs. You can try the more mild of the two. It'll probably help.

k9.

Smash Ace
Dude you should let me, because my glasses got messed up after i lost the case lol.

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
Losers finals is always 3/5, there is absolutely no need for an notification after 3 years of the game being played competitively.

2nd if you guys wanna change the rule set i don't care, everyone will still get bodied XD.
I'm just laughing at that whole mixup last time, I know about that rule :cool:

I don't remember who said it but I remember "I would rather shove nails up my ***" and although I don't think it's that bad, I think a larger stagelist is at hand.

Yummy!

Smash Apprentice
does it matter really no one times out anyways. except for like 2 occasions

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
At least in regard to most of the previous counterpicks we used to allow (PS2, Delfino Plaza, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Halberd, Castle Siege), I personally wouldn't want to reinstate them as selectable stages primarily due to their sharking/walk-off issues. Frigate Orpheon is the only one I think is possibly worth re-including.

I don't remember who said it but I remember "I would rather shove nails up my ***" and although I don't think it's that bad, I think a larger stagelist is at hand.
That would be Wafty, haha.

Jane

Smash Hero
I just remember Wafty and his partner being on a hefty roll against Shawn and Kevin in doubles a while ago, and it seemed like the n!ggas were attributing their losses to the tv, and that just sounded like a dumb cop-out.
It's kind of a subjective thing but I feel momentum, or mojo or whatever gets ****ed when you're asked to continue somewhere else for no good reason.
oh yeah, lol. honestly though, all it takes is a little balls to say "no, lets just finish here." if youre gonna blame it on momentum (which i would also agree that momentum is important), then the blame should be on wafty/meow for agreeing. no need for a rule haha.

and **** other stages. theyre all gay. all of them.

except delfino.

rave- HELL NO. not frigate please. lmao

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
For the record, I didn't even know if that was something we could disagree to, but I didn't say okay either. But now I know and knowing's half the battle.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
This is just a wild brainstorm, but what if FD was bannable, with the exception of when a player who won the previous match is going to pick Metaknight their next match?
Because that's a rule focused against a single character and that's not fair
does it matter really no one times out anyways. except for like 2 occasions
exactly

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Because that's a rule focused against a single character and that's not fair
Character specific rules that have gone through at some point (not necessarily in our region):

* Double Metaknights not being allowed in Doubles in certain tournaments
* Metaknight being banned altogether in certain tournaments

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Well the idea I was going to propose was pretty much Taj's Better Rule that's being used for Melee in the state.

TAJ's Better Rule: A person may either ban EVERY COUNTERPICK STAGE or ONE STARTER STAGE

I think Okami, should test this out at his next Brawl tourney.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
TAJ's Better Rule: A person may either ban EVERY COUNTERPICK STAGE or ONE STARTER STAGE
I love that idea to be honest.

I've never been one for Counterpicks, I either CP with SV or Battlefield every single time, I never choose actual CPs when given the chance.

Top Bottom