• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arizona Brawl Power Rankings and Brawl Social Thread (Updated: November 2013)

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Saffy your parents sound like government agents, just a thought.

I'm not sure if I can get a ride, but I'll do my best. I really need to practice with you all for upcoming PRs.

Saffy

Smash Ace
My parents are pretty strict and have weird views on things .But they do it to the point where they control my life... it's annoying. Like when Kevin and Shawn left they were like... "THEY CAME FROM LAVEEN? SOUNDS VERY FISHY TO ME. WHY WOULD THEY TRAVEL SO FAR AND COME SO LATE AT NIGHT? WHY ARE YOU BRINGING WEIRDO'S IN THE HOUSE? YOU CAN'T TRUST THEM... DID THEY STEAL ANYTHING? YOU CAN'T JUST LET ANYONE BE YOUR FRIEND... I DON'T WANT YOU HANGING AROUND A BUNCH OF GUYS.. YOUR A DUMB A GIRL, AND THEY SEE THAT AND YOU ARE GOING TO GET TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF AND YOU'LL COME CRYING BACK TO US. "
The thing is they don't allow me to have friends because they don't like anyone I bring over. The only person they actually have liked was Chris and Bryce. They don't give me opportunities to go out and make them. When I lived in Missouri for 2 years I asked all the time to go places with people I met through the smash scene and they wouldn't let me go. It's just sooooo frustrating. I probably have to just move out to get away from it.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
That's such a shame, Saffy. :( My parents were like that up until 3 years ago when I turned 18. :/

And yeah, btw...if anyone (Tucsonans) wants to Brawl tonight after 9 PM, my place is free. But you'll have to bring a Wii, since all I have is Melee/GC. Text me!!

(949) 290-1744

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
That's such a shame, Saffy. :( My parents were like that up until 3 years ago when I turned 18. :/

And yeah, btw...if anyone (Tucsonans) wants to Brawl tonight after 9 PM, my place is free. But you'll have to bring a Wii, since all I have is Melee/GC. Text me!!

(949) 290-1744
Do you like Brawl now? lol

:phone:

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Do you like Brawl now? lol

:phone:
Well...yeah...Brawl's kinda interesting to me for some reason. I still love Melee and would play it over Brawl, but I kinda want to get good at Brawl.

Okami's real name is also Rob

I admit, I never thought I'd hear a staunch melee-er say that
Me neither...

Double Edit: P.S. If you guys are all switching to Melee, I better switch to Brawl, or it's not fair.

ohhhhhh haha can people call me robert from now on? haha im getting confused when people call robs
Phoenix Melee calls me Okami cause of Wobbles, but most of Tucson just calls me Rob. :x I'll respond to Okami or B-dubs or whatever, but I prefer Rob.

Edit: Oh, and I still wanna Brawl! C'mon people. Stop slacking! Tomorrow before I work at 2 PM anyone?

Dark Shifter

Smash Ace
My parents are pretty strict and have weird views on things .But they do it to the point where they control my life... it's annoying. Like when Kevin and Shawn left they were like... "THEY CAME FROM LAVEEN? SOUNDS VERY FISHY TO ME. WHY WOULD THEY TRAVEL SO FAR AND COME SO LATE AT NIGHT? WHY ARE YOU BRINGING WEIRDO'S IN THE HOUSE? YOU CAN'T TRUST THEM... DID THEY STEAL ANYTHING? YOU CAN'T JUST LET ANYONE BE YOUR FRIEND... I DON'T WANT YOU HANGING AROUND A BUNCH OF GUYS.. YOUR A DUMB A GIRL, AND THEY SEE THAT AND YOU ARE GOING TO GET TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF AND YOU'LL COME CRYING BACK TO US. "
The thing is they don't allow me to have friends because they don't like anyone I bring over. The only person they actually have liked was Chris and Bryce. They don't give me opportunities to go out and make them. When I lived in Missouri for 2 years I asked all the time to go places with people I met through the smash scene and they wouldn't let me go. It's just sooooo frustrating. I probably have to just move out to get away from it.
yea! hey saf, smash tomorrow?

also, at the blacks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsN-G6W4d9A

and the minorities. fff yea! and you :p lol

and i ain't got your digits saf. text me or something.

Jane

Smash Hero
Edit: Oh, and I still wanna Brawl! C'mon people. Stop slacking! Tomorrow before I work at 2 PM anyone?
i wont be free tomorrow until about 1230. that would only give us like an hour to smash.. i'm down though. lol

Dude we are the minority in Phoenix. Hispanics are with a 50% percent of population in Phoenix and Tucson.
no, white is still the majority actually.

the funny thing about the term hispanic is that, as far as how the government sees it, you can be white and hispanic. or black and hispanic, asian and hispanic, etc.

when filling out your census form, first you select your "race" (white, black, asian, american indian). then in a seperate question, you state whether or not you are someone of "hispanic or latino origin."

its totally bizarre, but it just goes to show how one's self-proclaimed race is a statement of culture much more than of genetic origins.

sorry, i'm high and i worked at the census so this is something that's been on my mind before many a time.

heres a map of the racial diversity of phoenix and tucson using the 2010 census data

phx

tuc

red = white
orange = hispanic

there are other colors, like blue for blacks, but as you can see theyre pretty irrelevant in our state. lol

Saffy

Smash Ace
:) All races are amazing and equal. <3 Just not the women, only men lmao

and Bryce we can play tomorrow... But you have to tell me a time and not just show up xD

I really wanted to go see MJG though :( idk how I would get to Raves .. dhajskdhkjsahndk

Jane

Smash Hero
lets do the second thing then. i can be there at 1240.

and lance, yeah race is such a fun topic to talk about. us humans and our dumb walls we place.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I was just going off the population of hispanic people in Tucson and Phoenix and noticed it was the majority. Race is such a interesting factor and a funny thing.
wtf? I definitely don't see more hispanics then white people, except on like one side of town

Lance with that "they're taking over!" vision

grapekiwi

Smash Rookie
Hi

I live in arizona (gilbert) and am new to the forums.
Nice to meet everyone, just wondering about this site. I'm coming from a different brawl site, I was told this one was more active. Just saying Hi, hoping to get more involved in tournaments, chill fests, online stuff, etc. Got a few questions -
is there an online chat area to join or challenge people to smash?
Is there a tournament leader or someone for AZ that holds events? or do you all just kinda, invite people over? I'd love to bulk my brawl buddy list and play some good players.

Did any of you go to devastation? :D It was fun. I didn't brawl there unfortunately. only played HoN :( I regret not brawling though, looked really fun!

Again, nice to meet you all Ill try to look at this later today. hope you all have a good one, take it easy. my name is Josh by the way.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Welcome grapekiwi, nice to meet you bro.

Are you looking for offline tournaments in Arizona as well? If so, we host bi-weekly Power Rankings tournaments here at certain designated locations someone else can post for you. Yeah there are designated leaders who organize the tournaments, find the venue, etc.

If you prefer online that's fine too, a lot of our players play Wifi as well.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Is there a tournament leader or someone for AZ that holds events?
I believe I'd probably be considered the Tournament Organizer of Tucson. :o
(Melee and Brawl tournaments of course)

Here's my tournament thread: Tucson Monthlies

Though, scheduling's kinda being weird right now, so either I'll be hosting one on May 19th, June 9th, or not til September. :x

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Hey GrapeKiwi, nice to meet you man! I'm Luis/RaveRemix, the de facto head tournament organizer for the Phoenix area. Our scene is ridiculously active- we usually have a small get-together every week or every other week (usually at someone's house), and as Aaven pointed out, have a tournament that counts toward the Power Rankings once every 2-4 weeks. Our tournaments alternate between being held in the Phoenix area and in Tucson. Our next tourney will be in two weeks in Tempe, and it would be awesome to see you there: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320931

We also have a very active Facebook account where we chat and post a lot of our tourney pics (including the ones we took at Devastation ;)). Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/252928971439205/

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Being the broke guy I am at the moment, I think I'll have to wait on Smashfests until after the 28th Tournament, I can't really lend money for gas until after that date so I'll just hold off until then, and I don't want to risk spending what I already have put aside for Singles/Food/Doubles with Yummy that day.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Rave, you're too nice man. =/

By the way, I don't have a phone available to me today so if anyone needs to contact me post here or on my Facebook, I'll be on both very often today just in case.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Okay I'll try to work on being too nice, sorry. But I'm still willing to pay for your gas, so please come over tonight! Rob is willing to pick you up.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Well if you guys are up for it, yeah I'll come.

Just let me know when I should expect Rob to show so I can be ready to go.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
He'd like to pick you up around 3. Also, would you be willing to spend the night at my place? The Smashfest is gonna be both today and tomorrow. It'd also help Rob gas-wise. ^_^

grapekiwi

Smash Rookie
Welcome grapekiwi, nice to meet you bro.

Are you looking for offline tournaments in Arizona as well? If so, we host bi-weekly Power Rankings tournaments here at certain designated locations someone else can post for you. Yeah there are designated leaders who organize the tournaments, find the venue, etc.

If you prefer online that's fine too, a lot of our players play Wifi as well.
Lot to reply to, you're all so friendly! :D
Yes I meant both offline and online! thats sweet. I'm totally interested in both. and I have some friends who'd be interested too, haha.

I believe I'd probably be considered the Tournament Organizer of Tucson. :o
(Melee and Brawl tournaments of course)

Here's my tournament thread: Tucson Monthlies

Though, scheduling's kinda being weird right now, so either I'll be hosting one on May 19th, June 9th, or not til September. :x
Tuscon is a little far from me at the moment ,I may not attend that unless I plan to go to UofA in the next few months, which could very well happen.

Hey GrapeKiwi, nice to meet you man! I'm Luis/RaveRemix, the de facto head tournament organizer for the Phoenix area. Our scene is ridiculously active- we usually have a small get-together every week or every other week (usually at someone's house), and as Aaven pointed out, have a tournament that counts toward the Power Rankings once every 2-4 weeks. Our tournaments alternate between being held in the Phoenix area and in Tucson. Our next tourney will be in two weeks in Tempe, and it would be awesome to see you there: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=320931

We also have a very active Facebook account where we chat and post a lot of our tourney pics (including the ones we took at Devastation ;)). Here's the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/252928971439205/
Nice to meet you too! wow, I had no idea it was this big! I could probably hit the Phoenix area tournaments. sure. I gotta see those pics, lmao! I'll try and make that tournament, weekends arent flexible for me unfortunately, I do grave yard shifts every night :S

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
@Aaven Sweetness, thank you man! I'll even cook meals and stuff. I've been in your situation before (kinda) so I don't mind at all.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, so officially I'm gonna have a Smashfest both today AND tomorrow! MJG is not gonna be coming over til later tonight, but will be here all day tomorrow, which is why I'm holding it both days (but of course, the one tomorrow should be much bigger). Tonight, MJG, Aaven, GV7, and myself will be there for sure. You guys can start coming over at 4 today, and anytime tomorrow.

My info:
Biltmore Promenade Condominium
2625 E Indian School Rd
Unit 343
Phoenix AZ 85016

Gate code: #3916

Cellphone (call or text): 480-522-6912

Top Bottom