• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are all Zeldas 'spammy'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veng

Smash Ace
Alright basically im here for the spam issue, All I ever hear is Zeldas spam dins fire and downsmash, in fact the first time I ever used Zelda was this weekend, I actually liked her but any ways back to the point.

As a pikachu player he has a lot of attacks that have 'longer hurtboxes' so its obviously really annoying, hes also got an amazing projectile and thunder. So as you would guess I get spam johns all the time usually adding up to something about how they suicided from me thunderguarding, aka me Koing them.....

So I was just wanting to see if you guys were gettin all the crap that the Pika's usually get, also is there any noteable Zeldas? that are really good?

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
spammable zeldas who just use din and their downsmash can be destroyed if you just stay out of the spacing of the downsmash.

this goes the same for anyone who loves to spam their downsmash whenever people get close (like pika for example)

boohoo people spam learn how to counter it. it weakens the player to utilize this playstyle find out where and how and exploit it.

Veng

Smash Ace
Its true, thats what I tell them, if im such a spammer then punish me for it instead of losing.

Hey I might pick up Zelda as a secondary, but does she have any AT's, I read the guide.

I know the basics obviously and her attacks. But what are her combos? Like for pikachu Down throw, utilt, nair is a good one. or a combo starter... like say for lucario fthrow to fair usually works well... know what im saying?

Okay "strings" for the idiots who are too correct to call ilt a combo

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Down throw can lead into many things
Dtilt can lead into many things
Jab can lead into a few tings
just for a few.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
99% of Zeldas are very, very spammy. Just like every Lucas noob does nothing but spam PK fire then rush in with an upsmash hoping to blidly hit something.

An actual smart, but still spammy, zelda can be annoying as all hell. Din's fire until they close in, then forward tilts and forward smashes to space them away. It's certainly beatable, it just makes the entire match a freaking chore rather than a contest of skill.

Veng

Smash Ace
so whos a REALLY good zelda? I know Cc(Z) is a good one but I want tø watch some good videos of skilled zeldas.

Also, Dthrow.... leads to many combos so.... Dthrow fair/nair? or you mean on the ground?

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Darkmusician, RyokoYaksa, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting are great Zeldas.

Also, "smart" Zeldas only use Din's normally when an opponent is too far away to edgeguard with another move, yet that opponent will make it back to the stage. Every now and then, it'll be used to interrupt some approaches, but for the most part, it's not used that often, because it's a shallow move.

Zelda has very few ATs (that are specific to her). She's pretty much pick-up-and-play in terms of getting her technical skill down. All you really have to learn to do effectively is angle Farore's Wind in 16 directions, which isn't hard if you're using a character like Pikachu who has the same deal.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Ryoko Yaksa and Ninjalink are the zelda's i'd watch. They have some pretty exceptional abilities you might be able to emulate.

Darkmusician is also really good. But a lot of his winning comes down to his precision and ability to read his oponents... that's not something you can learn from watching his videos.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Man, that's the thing about Brawl. Spammy players will lose, but they'll make it absolutely miserable to do it. In most other fighting games, a spammy player just gets eaten alive by a good player, but in Brawl, it's so camp-friendly that it degenerates into seven minutes of one player spamming and the other slowly getting around it until they work them up to kill percentages.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Whenever I play Zelda, I admit doing a bit of spamming. However, I find out that it's just the way Zelda is as a character since she doesn't really have reliable combo chains unlike Shiek, so you rely plenty upon getting enemies with the same move three or five times.

However, skilled Zelda Players play not by spamming and relying on freakishly large hitboxes like Din's Fire, but by timing. It's a key in Zelda's gameplay that is really hard to take down.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol I get the spam Johns all the time........and to be honest I really don't care. Dins fire can not be used to camp or spam....doesn't come out fast enough, punishable lag, easily sh air-dodged. People losing to Zeldas who mainly use dins fire suck because in all actuality, dins only has a couple uses.

The main thing people complain to me about is my use of her smashes and dtilt. I think a lot of people who don't understand the Zelda matchup become frustrated and they instantly think of spam.

Watch, Ryoko, NinjaLink, and DarkMusician.

Not many AT's, just ledgewarping and b-reversals for spikes......pretty much it.

VSion

Smash Cadet
"Are all Zeldas spammy?" lol. Though, it does happen on occasion...to the point when ppl John about you spamming din's fire when they lose, even if you don't spam it, like stereotypes or something. But, I do use dtilt alot, if I think about it. But anyway, no, all zeldas are not spammy (Sinking~ =D)

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Most new Zelda's are spammy. I know I was spammy for the first few months Brawl was out because I mained Zelda in Melee and I kept going "OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW SWEET THIS MOVE IS NOW." Now that it's been out for awhile, I just throw in a few Din's right in front of my face if the opponent hits me and stays a little too close. Honestly, "good" Zeldas are only "spammy" against Rob's and Snake's Up-B moves. It's just too easy to airdodge/shield it most of the time.

Scott!

Smash Lord
It's true that Din's is easy to dodge, but I like to take advantage of that to force the dodge when my opponent is recovering. Generally, I'll wait as long as I can to detonate it within range of them, and often, they'll dodge it out of instinct. I've had people dodge it and end up too far down to recover, or just low enough for me to finish by other means. And if they don't dodge, it, that's a fair bit of damage they've got. Win-win in this situation. So yeah, I'll spam Din's when they're off-stage. Kind of mean, but it works for me.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
If they're whining about the projectile they either don't know how to use Nayrus Love or how to time Farores Wind.

Furthermore to prove their noobiness, Din is not really that good a move for spamming. It is a good move in essence, but it's very easily avoided and Din mindgames are too risky to be worthwhile.

Personally I don't have much experience with pikachus, but I learn quickly and I've found the general pattern with him. Of course this doesnt apply to every player out there, but there is a way around him. The problem is that most people want to play agressive, but in this matchup Zelda needs to be defensive, or at most, an opportunist.

I wouldn't mind playing you if theres no lag. I'm pretty good. Definitely not the best, but good.

Glencoe

Smash Rookie
Hehe yeah, I think Zelda is just a spammy character. Her attacks are just naturally like that :D

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Zelda's a great character and she's not spammy at all in my opinion. Of course Din's fire is a good move to use, using it a lot to your advantage really isn't spammy in my opinion. It's not that it's spamming, but zelda really in my opinion isn't a great off the stage character with her recovery move being so dangerous, therefore yes, you will probably see a lot of Din's fire coming from most zelda players. If they only spam down smash and then do Dins fire, they can get destroyed easily and most likely don't know that some of her other moves hit harder than those two. She can be spammy in the end but that's really lack of skill if you ask me. Resorting to the same move over and over is a bad idea, especially since humans can adapt to such a play style and learn to counter it.

M@v

Subarashii!
Dins fire is great, but anything is punishable. Also, I am one of those "rack with sheik-kill with Zelda" players. The exception is when Zelda clearly does better than sheik in the matchup, like against heavies. Thunderkick owns souls vs heavies.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
I do not think Zelda is any more spammy than any other character... rather I think spammy is a type of playing style. Certain people are spammy and they will use whatever good move that character has to an excessive amount. Eventually they learn that playing spammy is bad and that they will lose to good players... so no Zelda is not really spammy imo.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think the problem is that when, say, you're playing FFA with random Chars, and someone lands Zelda, and they use Din for the first time, it's very tempting to keep playing around with it. Such a large projectile.

Noobs get stuck in this phase and never get out of it.

It has that kind of charm of Falcon Punch. You just feel this NEED to spam it.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I find Pikachu and Zelda a bit in similar in one thing: new players love to spam with them. With Pikachu they keep using thunder, thunderball and D-smash over and over again, with Zelda they use smashes and Din. Those who have played a bit more with them tend to use more moves instead of spamming.

And yes, I do get the "you´re a spammer!" every now and then. Propably because I spammed her U-smash like crazy when Brawl came out, but now I don´t get that much anymore.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
And yes, I do get the "you´re a spammer!" every now and then. Propably because I spammed her U-smash like crazy when Brawl came out, but now I don´t get that much anymore.
Lol, I still get "you're such a spammer" remarks. I find it really funny because I'm spamming Nayrus to reflect the pikachu thunderball spam. I have a mindset where I try to fight fire with fire for some reason, so I only spam if I'm being spammed at. I suppose there a re other ways around spam, though.

The best is when I get
"You're such a spammer!"
"How?"
"You keep using all your moves!"

As opposed to not touching my controller?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
The best is when I get
"You're such a spammer!"
"How?"
"You keep using all your moves!"

As opposed to not touching my controller?
Lol, my favorite of all the spammer comments I´ve gotten so far is:

"You just keep spamming sweetspotted lighting kick whenever I try to use charge my smash attack!"

BLI7ZARD

Smash Apprentice
i usually spam the naryus love a little because its my favorite special. All i do is jump behind my opponent use it they always drop their shield. I also Spam it aliitle because of the invincibility frames. It really sux when your opponents shield it. Also on a random note i try to use ftilt but when i do it turns out horribly

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I will admit to spamming dsmash OoS a bit... but really it depends on the situation. Usually I play defensively until I find an opening in my opponent's patterns. And if that opening calls for one move over and over, why not use it?

S2

Smash Lord
I find that no matter how much variation you have in your playstyle, simply using Zelda often get's you branded as a spammer.

That being said, spamming will not get you wins against good players.

Din's is a useful tool in many situations, but anyone with decent play experience is going to dodge it consistently if you're just spamming it.

Same goes with the smash attacks. For instance, some characters have no problem bypassing the attack hitbox of Zelda's f-smash if they time it right. Good players are going to punish you for overusing it. D-smash is fast as well, but a good opponent is going to use proper spacing and be wary of it.

I dunno. I think Zelda is always going to be considered spammy. Because she has a controllable projectile, odd hitboxes with good priority, and a couple of her moves look similar (like how f-air and b-air are so close in animation and have nearly the same effect).

No matter how much you vary up your game, some players are still going to accuse you of spamming. Even if you use every move equally.

Then again, there are a lot of spammers. That doesn't help. Not that there is anything wrong with spamming. In a tournament, do what it takes to win. And if spamming is working, keep doing it until you need to switch tactics.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
<_< ok not to be a d!ck but stop referring to highlight/compilation/combo/gameplay/montage videos for examples of... anything. Upload matches (not even regularly, you can do a set every 3-4 months and be fine) and refer to those. My combo vids would have people believe that I get like 90% of my kills with spikes, that's obviously not the case even though I am very proficient at them.

The best thing you can probably do for yourself is stop using din's fire the second someone gets knocked off the stage, it limits your thinking and your trapping people into much better/more efficient ways of killing/gimping. I always lambaste this move but honestly it's just not that good.

Spammy zeldas are zeldas who get beaten, that's pretty much the bottom line.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I should have mentioned the square/rectangle rule. Not all zeldas who get beaten are spammy zeldas, however all spammy zeldas get beaten.

The main point was to stop gunning for youtube views on things that arent practical to watch.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Well I felt you meant that in the first place, though I do think I'm a bit of a spammer.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I play Zelda for fun. She has the potential to be an annoying spammer, but since certain character can actually "Hit" Din's Fire, and its fairly easy to avoid, her spam is easier to get around than say.....Falco...

She also has very spammable aerials. Those lighning kicks are a pain in the ***, and its hilarious to hear your friends disgruntled yells every time you land one (especially when you hit several in a row).

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
MOST zeldas are spammy, but if you've seen the best (darkmusician, etc.) they only Din for medium range pressure and rack up damage close up. Saying "all" is an overstatement.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Alright basically im here for the spam issue, All I ever hear is Zeldas spam dins fire and downsmash, in fact the first time I ever used Zelda was this weekend, I actually liked her but any ways back to the point.

As a pikachu player he has a lot of attacks that have 'longer hurtboxes' so its obviously really annoying, hes also got an amazing projectile and thunder. So as you would guess I get spam johns all the time usually adding up to something about how they suicided from me thunderguarding, aka me Koing them.....

So I was just wanting to see if you guys were gettin all the crap that the Pika's usually get, also is there any noteable Zeldas? that are really good?
Nope, they just have the triforce of wisdom. Mindgames son.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Most spammy Zeldas I've seen were terrible. A good Zelda could go for the noob spam strategy (which is viable against anyone who doesn't know how to stop it, and takes minimal effort), and then change it when it stops working, while a bad one continues to do the same thing. Most good Zeldas aren't spammy because they realize that fire can be blocked, dodged, or otherwise avoided, and the lag is very punishable.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I do not play a spammy zelda.... unless that for some reason is working.

I do what works. if my foe is dumb enough to get hit by it, it's an easy strategy, so why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom