• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Apr 19, 2014] No Johns Monthly! April 19th!! Project M ! (Nanuet, NY)

trademark0013

Smash Champion
well looking at the basic anatomy and definition of "the wheel" it def isnt the tire, since the tire cannot function without a main frame.

the rims can technically function to serve a purpose that the wheel is designed to, but it wouldnt be recommended

but based on technicalities wheels be the the rims

old *** *****

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
so

you looked it up

lol

yea its the rims

mad people dont know that its soo retardeeeddd

P.C. Jona

Smash Master

surrreee

Smack up yo moms like I smacked Johnny Guinness,

Three o'clock yesterday, I don't care what they say

Suckaz really shouldn't play, I hit em with the Hennesayyyyy

Niko45

Smash Master
Nah, we pay attention if the dude is spitting something worthwhile. I mean, you listen to Jay Electronica - Exhibit C. Yes, Just Blaze killed the beat, but Jay MURDERED the track and left a ransom note for the rest of hip hop.
It's too bad Jay is so boring. No energy + basic flow pretty much cancel out any above average lyrical content. It's pretty much a wash against weezy or people who bring catchy content-less music to the table. The real problem isn't just lyrics or one thing, it's that nobody is bringing the full package anymore. We've either got punchline rappers with silly flows or stiff intellectual rappers with no swag.

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
It's too bad Jay is so boring. No energy + basic flow pretty much cancel out any above average lyrical content. It's pretty much a wash against weezy or people who bring catchy content-less music to the table. The real problem isn't just lyrics or one thing, it's that nobody is bringing the full package anymore. We've either got punchline rappers with silly flows or stiff intellectual rappers with no swag.
Exactly.

Nobody's bringing it anymore in mainstream. I just type in Atmosphere in Pandora and let it rock. Or listen to some classic Em. Where's the creativity at?

Niko, I didn't know you like hiphop like that. Debate at Max's? Lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Atmosphere's legit, but eh, sometimes Slug isn't doin' it for me on the mic. I dunno, depending on the day I either love or hate Atmosphere.

Brother Ali, check him out, srsly. Common Market too.

And Common's been awesome at both lyrics and swag forever (not crazy about the latest album, but the 3 before that were all beast).

Cunnin' Lynguists are ****ing **** too. And like, eh, I could keep going, but I guess what I'm getting at is that staying in mainstream will get you depressed about Hip Hop while there's plenty of good **** out there for those who seek it.

Niko45

Smash Master
Exactly.

Nobody's bringing it anymore in mainstream. I just type in Atmosphere in Pandora and let it rock. Or listen to some classic Em. Where's the creativity at?

Niko, I didn't know you like hiphop like that. Debate at Max's? Lol
Haha, no doubt. My high school was actually like 90% Black. So yea, I was raised on raps.

Edit: I would highly disagree with it being a mainstream issue. In general, the absolute best rappers and producers have always been in the mainstream, there's just a lot of crap coming through now too. Honestly "underground" artists that I think are really really good are scarce.

Cunninlynguist is amazing. Common is really whatever to me. He's definitely a lyrical stiff but I can rock with him here and there. The last thing I liked from him was "Be", which was a sick album. But I credit Kanye like 80% for that by lacing every track and catering to Common's really limited street poet philosopher style.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Haha, no doubt. My high school was actually like 90% Black. So yea, I was raised on raps.
Lol, so was mine, but I never got into it. I always thought the rap battles on the bus and stuff were mad dumb. Esp since the best one was this big black girl who looked like a guy named trinita or something.

Niko45

Smash Master
Lol, so was mine, but I never got into it. I always thought the rap battles on the bus and stuff were mad dumb. Esp since the best one was this big black girl who looked like a guy named trinita or something.
Lol idk how you pulled that off. Not liking rap was pretty much not being cool, which is a big no-no in high school. Plus as it turned out, rap is (was) awesome.

S.R. XXVII

Smash Ace
CunningLynguists is raaaaape. I love Aesop Rock and Blackalicious too.

I've just been on my DnB **** for the past couple months, cause all I hear is "SAY AHHHHHH ITS YA BIRFDAI! I KNO U THURSTAY" so I'm like f**k dat. Lol

Eggm

Smash Hero
Lol idk how you pulled that off. Not liking rap was pretty much not being cool, which is a big no-no in high school. Plus as it turned out, rap is (was) awesome.
I just hung out w/ all the kids who played smash (64). Lol.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Edit: I would highly disagree with it being a mainstream issue. In general, the absolute best rappers and producers have always been in the mainstream, there's just a lot of crap coming through now too. Honestly "underground" artists that I think are really really good are scarce.

Cunninlynguist is amazing. Common is really whatever to me. He's definitely a lyrical stiff but I can rock with him here and there. The last thing I liked from him was "Be", which was a sick album. But I credit Kanye like 80% for that by lacing every track and catering to Common's really limited street poet philosopher style.
"Finding Forever" was also sick, but w/e Common's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'd say that we just need to agree to disagree about it being a mainstream issue, but I don't really think I can leave it at that. I guess it might be an issue of what we consider mainstream, but I dunno, humor me and give me some examples of mainstream **** you consider worthwhile over the past couple years.

Niko45

Smash Master
"Finding Forever" was also sick, but w/e Common's not everyone's cup of tea.

I'd say that we just need to agree to disagree about it being a mainstream issue, but I don't really think I can leave it at that. I guess it might be an issue of what we consider mainstream, but I dunno, humor me and give me some examples of mainstream **** you consider worthwhile over the past couple years.
Yea, I don't mean to dump on Common at all. I've loved some of his stuff, but again, I find his material pretty much all to be of the same theme/sound and in general in my opinion on songs of his I like his production does the heavier lifting for him. I like him I just don't consider him one of the greats.

Basically my opinion is that the "underground" has a lot of good production, but barely any really talented rappers. The production often seems to need to be unorthodox for hip hop, with lots of great sounding music but hard beats to really rap to. So in general, I find it boring and sucky. There are exceptions tho.

Mainstream that's good - anything and everything Kanye West does is still fantastic, including any random feature verse or production. Lupe Fiasco is great. Jadakiss did some great features/mixtapes a while back, tho his last album completely sucked. Jay-Z is still good, even in 2010 he's still better than pretty much all underground rappers, but he's really pushing it at this point. Lil Wayne's mixtape, "The Leak", which was supposed to be "Tha Carter 3" before it leaked, was great. Drake's mixtape "So Far Gone" was good. Kid Cuddi is mad good. I'm looking forward to the Nas + Damien Marley collab album which should be good. In a couple of years I think things will be better because Bobby Ray is gonna be a beast and Charles Hamilton looks promising.

Ultimately the mainstream has the ability to make songs like "I Put On", "Brooklyn We Go Hard" and "Forever" and the underground can never match that. The mainstream never puts together solid albums anymore, though.

My view of the mainstream is probably outdated tho, because my taste is dominated by the 2000-2003 period where the mainstream was so unquestionably dominant.

Edit: One of the major turnoffs from the "underground" is that they try to market themselves as "real hip hop" and demonizing the mainstream. All the terrible underground rappers do is talk about this theme over and over again, making them as monotonous as the mainstream.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
eh, post late registration, Kanye's solo stuff has been whack IMO. first two albums were good though. I totally agree on Lupe, he's a diamond in the rough. Shame he apparently sucks live cause his studio **** is top notch. IMO, modern Jay-Z puts out a couple good tracks here and there, but is mostly forgettable. He's still incredibly talented, but in general I think he has poor beat selection and doesn't hold his albums as a whole to a high standard anymore. Lil Wayne... ew... maybe I'll check that mix tape out, but can't say that anything I've heard of his left me wanting more from him. Nas made Illmatic so he'll always have a place in my heart, but since stillmatic, he hasn't been exciting me (and honestly, even stillmatic fell well short of the bar illmatic set IMO). Is Cudi really mainstream? I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to the mainstream, but I didn't realize he was on anyone's radar... Can't say I'm a big fan of his talents as a rapper, but Make Her Say is pretty sick and in general I like his production.

Anyway, I guess it's just different tastes... cause "I Put On" and "Forever" don't really do anything for me and I would say they get blown out by a huge list of underground songs (yesterday by atmosphere, take me home by brother ali, linguistics by cunnin' lynguists, i could go on all day but you get the idea). Brooklyn we go hard is tight, but it's not in a whole different league from good underground stuff to me and in general I find that underground groups have more complete albums than mainstream dudes.

I'll agree that there are a lot of forgettable rappers in the underground scene, but there's plenty of exceptional talent out there too, you just need to go out there and find it.

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
Cudi is all the rage right now. I don't really see it though.

Kanye and Lupe are some of my favorites to listen to.

Niko45

Smash Master
Yea it's different tastes because my underground knowledge is terrible. Like I don't listen to Ali or atmosphere really... My underground likes are cunnin, RJD2, Blackalicious, I guess The Roots? Can't really think of anything off the top bc I generally like underground songs here and there more than follow artists.

Lil Wayne - Tha carter 2 is his best stuff, and def a great album

Love stillmatic, love god's son, and love "street's disciple" off the album of the same name. Best nas song ever imo.

I've never not liked anything Kanye did and he's stepped up a ton post late registration at rapping.

Kid Cudi - Day and Night was on the radio around the clock a while back.

Jay-Z fell off massively post-Black album. But to me, he only fell back down to earth. Yes, very forgettable since then.

But I'd just say overall most everyone has sucked in the last couple of years.

otg

Smash Master
Eggm you play 64 smash? Next time we're at a tourney I hope someone has a Wii with it on there, it's my fave of the 3 (even tho I suck at it about as much as I suck at Melee).

On a side note:

METAL

Niko45

Smash Master
Tubesteak is way way too good - "people askin me, wassup with you and Obama, tubesteak? I thought you was *****z? I thought we was *****z too man, but **** Obama"

Top Bottom