• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Marth

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
This from the guy who presumes to answer everyone's questions. I **** in all aspects of Marth. You are good at... fthrow fsmashing noobs?

He doesn't even know how to press up and A. Or up on the C-stick. Pssh.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Does approaching SHFFL f-air have to tip?
If you do it right it doesn't have to be. If they cc they may get you regardless, but if you shffl a fair into a shield correctly you can normally dash behind or away from them before they can shield grab you if your not spaced.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hmmm. I have a correction to make.

After further testing and some discussion with Cactuar, it seems Marth can't dash through his opponent to avoid getting shield grabbed. Although he CAN roll away or dash away if he has good spacing on the d-tilt.

Sorry for this mistake on my part.

I will make corrections in my original post.

princetoma

Smash Cadet
well that clear things up i tryed dashing my bro peach he sheild grab and got ****, XD...its nearly sometimes impossible to dash through someone and dash back to grab considering the shield grabbing.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, The info has been fixed in my original post.

princetoma: With Marth's aerials he can dash past his opponent and completely avoid the shield grab.

This I'm 100% sure of and can be seen in high level Marth vids by players such as Mew2King.

Shakugan

Smash Journeyman
how would u approach a marth in a marth ditto because the last two marth dittos i had didnt go well one was a friendly and the other was a tourny match.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
as for peach holding a bomb or stitchface, DON'T use your second jump or your air dodge, a good peach player will be waiting for that second jump to come out, and at the last second if she knows you arent going to air dodge (and at that point it would basically be a wavedash unless you airdodge up, which i wouldnt recommend either in case she hesitates), it'll be an easy hit on you. i'm very good at spot-dodging items (although i never play with them), so i try to get inside as quickly as possible, if you rack up some damage on her she'll throw it at you in desperation (she has to throw it before she gets in danger of dying, that would be a big waste), and you should be able to easily dodge it.

As for a jumping fox, DESTROY him with fair combos, leading up to either a spike/ken combo or L-cancel to Fsmash. If the Fair his him just as he is landing, L-cancel to grab, uthrow, utilt, fairs, etc.

D

Deleted member

Ok, The info has been fixed in my original post.

princetoma: With Marth's aerials he can dash past his opponent and completely avoid the shield grab.

This I'm 100% sure of and can be seen in high level Marth vids by players such as Mew2King.
it's actually marth dittos, marth dashes through the other marth because his grab is extended.

vs other characters, if you dash through them, their grab box is on their body and marth will get grabbed, so it's better to aerial and dash away.

skrach8

Smash Lord
well i run pass every character, save maybe ganon and falcon. granted its really good against another marth, but i wouldnt go far as saying its better. zelda in a marth thread. thats funny.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Hmmm. I have a correction to make.

After further testing and some discussion with Cactuar, it seems Marth can't dash through his opponent to avoid getting shield grabbed. Although he CAN roll away or dash away if he has good spacing on the d-tilt.

Sorry for this mistake on my part.

I will make corrections in my original post.
I am fairly sure I told you this like half a year ago. But did you believe me? Nooo~

And "lolx you can do thiz cuz mew2king duz iz" doesn't mean it works always for even him, if the opponent does things perfectly, which they more often than not don't. And you and your "I spoke with cactuar lolx" things. How about you test if they work yourself. And no, I'm not the noob you think I am. You just are extremely overrated.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I already said I messed up.

Ultimately it matters little.

I'm still a well respected member of the Marth community and you are still a joke and an idiot.

And you make it hard to listen to you since you are so defensive and use little to no evidence to back up your claims.

Also this correction is only pertaining to the d-tilt NOT his fair, uair, or his nair.

So STFU and GTFO.

kthnx bai.

Mow: After fairing Marth can dash past. I have done it before. He just has to be right on top of them pretty much in terms of distance otherwise, yes it's better to dash away.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I am fairly sure I told you this like half a year ago. But did you believe me? Nooo~

And "lolx you can do thiz cuz mew2king duz iz" doesn't mean it works always for even him, if the opponent does things perfectly, which they more often than not don't. And you and your "I spoke with cactuar lolx" things. How about you test if they work yourself. And no, I'm not the noob you think I am. You just are extremely overrated.

This is an unbiased comment.

Ijuka: The whole argument at the time between you and Emblem Lord, and then you attempting to argue with me as well, was about being able to land an aerial (I only said fair or uair, not dair or bair, although bair is entirely possible, just impractical) on an opponent's shield, then dashing through them to avoid the shield grab. If you and Emblem Lord had a separate conversation about dtilt into dash through, then I have no knowledge of that.

As far as EL being overrated goes: He's not really overrated. He's not even rated to be that good of a player regionally. He does however have a pretty decent working knowledge of Marth specific things, which is why he has some credibility.

As far as anything else: If Emblem Lord says something and you don't agree or think it's not true, just ask me. I don't care about EL's feelings and have no problem calling him on things that aren't true. And you might even get to see me flame/publicly humiliate him in the process.

At least EL still makes the effort to seek out new possibilities and help newbies. I would never go out of my way like he does. At best, I'll provide you with some useful insight if you ask me something, but I'll cover it in sarcasm.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
As far as anything else: If Emblem Lord says something and you don't agree or think it's not true, just ask me. I don't care about EL's feelings and have no problem calling him on things that aren't true. And you might even get to see me flame/publicly humiliate him in the process.
Ok, so EL told me he had a hot gf, and showed me a pic of some girl. I think it's not true. You know anything about this Cactuar?

@ EL-Jk homie, you know what's up.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
:laugh: No he's not!
Is =) Extremely. Cactuar isn't though.

Cactuar, my memory is horrible, but I'm sure I've argued about dtilt being shieldgrabable as well.

There's 13 frames after the hit of Dtilt. Shieldgrab is 7 frames. Over 6 of them has to be shieldstun.. Actually, I think the like 2 first frames of the roll are vulnerable, so you need 8 frames of shieldstun. And I don't think you can time a dash frame-perfectly, maybe Mew2King can, but no normal people can do that consistantly. So I'll just have to find out if it has over 6 or 8 frames of shieldstun.. which I highly doubt, by the way.

Emblem Lord, I love you too.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
**** Cactuar.

His haircut is awful.

I like how on the boards he's all snobbish towards me but IRL he is all cool with me.

Aren't we in the same crew or something? With that attitude sometimes I forget. ;)

Jesiah: If you were at VLS then you would have seen my hot gf and you would have no doubts.

Over 250 people at that tourney can vouch for her existence, lol.

Ijuka: lol. I'm overrated. You're too funny. So funny in fact that I can no longer look at your post and take you seriously. Now where is that ignore button?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
wait? all this chaos is over dtilt to run through? i knew that wasn't possible ages ago..and i swear i studied this thead in and out...probably the first thing that started helping me get semigood

greenpika

Smash Cadet
keep the control stick forward. jump and use A almost at the same time. wait until he finishes. i would guess either right before he finishes the move or immediately after, press A again. theres the shdf. to use the ken combo, do the same thing, except for the first fair, use the part of the sword closest to your body, and the second one will be a tipper. continue to do this until you are at the edge. tip a fair and then tip a dair for a kill. thats basically how.

learning is different. i dont know if there are any strategies besides practicing. try standing right next to your opponent before you begin, or do it in slow motion in the training area.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Oh haha, I remember this thread! I used to just pick one method of approach and just use only that for the entire game.

Good thing I got over that stage quickly.

Salevits

Smash Apprentice
One thing that I've noticed is, that a crouch cancelled f-smash works as an approach too; if you use it rarely. What happens often is that the enemy expects a dash attack or a d-tilt, and he wavedashes away, and the f-smash hits him with tipper.. Okay I'ts a bit risky, 'cause of the freaking horrible lag of f-smash. But I've managed to KO with this many times.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Usually if I catch people trying to wavedash away from my attacks, I just run through them and JC grab or spam the nair. The fsmash is laggy and often shieldgrabable because of how far forward he leans forward.

Top Bottom