• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approaching with Marth

Ijuka

Smash Ace
So I wonder if I have anything to add to Marth approaching... There's a couple of things, I guess...

1. SHFF AC Nair:

If you start this asap and fastfall asap, it autocancels with you doing the short hop as fast as possible, so it's not slower even if you autocancel. However, It appears that if you nair a shield, they DO have the time to shieldgrab it... In my opinion shffl nair so that the 2nd hit of the nair hits right near the ground is more safe, I don't know why.

I would SHFF AC Nair every once in a while, mostly if my opponent was jumping. You must remember that most characters can just crouch under it and when they do.. you're left wide open. For example, I wouldn't use this too much against someone like Sheik. And usually I'd use this only if they were in air. I prefer shffl nair tipper for approaching against standing enemies.

2. Empty sh mindgame thingies:
I like to do something like a lot of empty backward/forward shff's out of my opponent's range. If they dash in, do an aerial. Works pretty well against some characters, but don't rely on it.. it isn't really an approach either, more like... Well, you can approach with it, but it relies on the enemy attacking first. I pretty much only use fair or shffl nair out of this.

3. SHFFL fair:
I like to space a lot of these with empty SHFFL's. I time it so that the attack comes out right when I hit the ground, where they can't shieldgrab. Then I'll usually sh around and doing them when appropriate. When I hit a shield I usually just sh backwards. It's pretty unpunishable, of course depending on the opponent.

4. Run-through-fsmash:
If your opponent tends to shield or dodge when you dash at them, you could try dashing through them and doing dash-cancel fsmash tipper backwards. It sometimes catches them off guard, and even if shielded, hitting the back of a shield with the tip just might save you from punishment, depending on the opponent's skills of course.

5. Dashdance grab:
It really was not mentioned? Basically you dash dance in, dash dance out, whatever, wait for them to miss or sidestep, and grab... And it works quite well.

I suck in approaching -.- I would usually just counter my opponent's actions(no not the move) >_> Should I create a thread for attacking out of shield?

EDIT: Just remembered these: Dash - dash cancel neutral A: Okay range, safe tipper. Dash - shield: Awesome, do this right out of their grab range and see if you can outmindgame them.
Etcetc.. nearly every single move can be used for appraoching >.<

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth's nuetral A sucks so much. It is not safe at all. Wavedash from shield is all they need to punish him.

Dashing shield is a mindgame. lol. I said before that I wanted to avoid those. Same thing with dashing through to smash. That isn't safe or reliable in the least.

A good appraoch is something you can fall back on and you know is fairly reliable and safe. If it's not safe at the very least you have options out of it.

Auto cancel Nair isn't my strategy. It was Cactuar that brought it to my attention so I really won't say anything more about it.

Empty sh. I do them occasionally. But I would never spam them.

LOL@ saying I didn't mention dash dance grab. It was my first technique that I mentioned. JC grab out of dash. Of course it will usually be done out of a dash dance. That's a basic technique combined with mindgames and spacing.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Liek, so basically what j00 are saying is dat I should liek, run back nd fort, den liek... do moves at dem and stuff? Niiiice.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
A good smasher friend of mine told me that the best way to start a match is to find out what doesn't work. Then use those things to mindgame people into what you want.

Example:
Dash through and F-smash, Player easily sees it coming shields, wavedashes out of shield and punishes.
Dash through shield wavedash back to grab.

This of course will not work all the time. But you would be surprised at how repetitive you can be when playing players that are better than you so you start falling back on your "tricks that normally keep you safe". When you can start turning faults to your advantage, that's a great way to learn to get openings and smart approaches.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yes, this is called conditioning. It works so well, because when your opponent punishes your actions you are actually giving them positive reinforcement. They are thinking that if you try something like that again then they can easily punish you.

So next time you do something slightly different it can catch them completely off guard. they may not understand why theywere punishing you so well before, but now it's not working. The positive reinforcement they got before has back fired. It locked them into a pattern where they thought they could easily predict you, which in turn has made them more predictable. Conditioning through positive reinforcement is hard to break. This makes it a powerful mindgame.

Conditioning is actually quite common in another fighting game series. Soul Caliber.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Pfft, Soul Caliber is not a real fighting game. Now if you are talking about Super Pocket Fighters, then thats a different story. BTW, nice work on the thread, even though I don't really think that much about what I'm doing, I just pretend I'm drunk and push buttons.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol, thanks man.

Marth isn't the only one with good shield trap guessing games. CF is beastly at it too. I know alot of things he can do. I'll tell you later or I'll pm it to you.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
err emblem lord..if you have tips on falcon too i'd appreciate you making a similar post in the falcon forums..speaking of which i'll go check now just in case..

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
lol @ krule

We believe you?...

Anyway, Emblem lord, oddly enough I've being troubled by a kirbciding kirby, I can defeat him but the thing is, I really dislike losing stocks to him that way..all he does is stand at the edge of a stage and wait for me to do something.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
It's amazing how I was going to start a thread about Marth's approaches. The first thread I saw last posted was this one. XD

When is the right time to f-tilt?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Umm, if you have the stock lead let him kirbycide. You will still win so it's all good right? I fail to see the issue. lol

Lesheik: A good time to f-tilt is when it's spaced out at the tip. When your opponent is at that range let it rip. It's good for stuffing approaches. Especially Ganon and Jiggs IMO. Very safe at the tip if they shield it too.

knightpreator: Although I know things about Falcon, I don't consider myself an authority on his gameplay. So I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable starting a thread about his approach. I will be glad to pm what I do know about his safe approaches and his shield games if someone pms me asking for it.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Lesheik, thank you for actually seeing the thread and posting it in, too many people have went on to ask questions/make threads that really could be used in here over making spam.

And emblem lord, it just plain sucks!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
LOL. Just space out your attacks so Kirby can't reach you. It's a horrible match-up for him. He'll stop camping near the edge when he can't get to you.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I do space out my attacks well, but when hes standing at the edge..he waits..and this guy has far more patience than me...lol when hes off the edge, his stock disappears in seconds, I know the matchup is bad but what would you do?...

I've tried leaping over him after tricking him into sucking and bair-ing him and comboing from that..but thats all I've got.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Unless your name is Shiek, Fox, Falco, Peach, Link, or Samus then you can't out camp Marth.

You just can't.

Kirby has no projectile. Just wait and be smart. Use spaced out f-tilts and d-tilts. If he wants to camp, then punish him for it. You have to learn to be patient and pick your moments.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Everytime I see Krule in here saying something, his posts always give me this weird idea. Here's what I dream of when I see Krule posts.

Every Marth player on these forums and Krule all meet up somewhere. We play him 1 by 1, utterly humiliating him in front of every Marth player on these boards. And then, when we're all done beating him, and the last person is fighting him on Krule's last life, one of us says "FINISH HIM" and then Krule gets sword dance spiked. And then I would say "Stop making stupid posts sucka"

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I know there isn't much else anyone can say about concenring this thread, but can we please cut down on the spam posts?

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol. Very carefully. That's how. But seriously, what can I say? I would probably rush her so she doesn't get a chance to use it. Just be smart about how you rush her. And be ready to shield at any moment.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
how do you approach a dash dancing/jumping around fox? it seems to me that marth has alot of trouble going about approaching fox.

personally i struggle against fox, i don't know all that much about the matchup, i'd honestly say i struggle more against fox then gay *** sheik.

KRule

Smash Cadet
fox is ez just run up his lasers r non stun, falco is harder cuz they stun

FrostByte

Smash Lord
One thing about DD campers is that they usually go in looking for a grab off any lag you may produce. So here are your options.

1) Empty Shffl: Go in as if you're about to attack with a fair, but don't attack. That's what he wants you to do. When you land, either dash back, then forward to grab or waveland to attack.

2)Don't jump: What people seem to forget is that dashdance is actually a defensive stance. Your opponent is scared of you and is actually trying to back away from you until you mess up. The best thing to do is just to walk up to them, and they'll fall back. The edge is Marth's playground. Push them as close to it as you can, then grab - edgeguard or Fulljump Nair if he likes to escape via jumping.

Other fun stuff (less reliable, but still fun).

"Where's he going?" Since we know that DD is a defensive technique, it's funny to sometimes dash straight through your opponent without attacking. Check whether they shield/jump/dodge and catch them out next time.

"Who uses that move?" If the opponent takes the dashdance in a set rhythm, catch them out with a Dash attack. People tend to underestimate the range of the move and it has great combo potential vs Spacies. It can lead to Uairs, Fairs and grabs.

"Taste of your own medicine" Like it says, DD right back at them. If they're laser spammers, do it in close quarters. If they're Falcon/not laser spammers, you can go to the other side of the stage. Try to get the tempo in sync. Looks cool.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Usually I find myself using Shuffling Nair as my most common approach and I had a question about it ^^. I know its best to switch approaches up for mind games but I was wondering which move was generally considered better, Shuffled Fair or Shuffled Nair. I know in your description Emblem Lord you call Shuffled Fair "his most used and probably his most reliable approach" but you also said that you wished you used his Nair more. Also, depending on which is better, could you please explain to me why it's a better general approach then the other.

UMBC Super Smasher

Smash Lord
Usually I find myself using Shuffling Nair as my most common approach and I had a question about it ^^. I know its best to switch approaches up for mind games but I was wondering which move was generally considered better, Shuffled Fair or Shuffled Nair. I know in your description Emblem Lord you call Shuffled Fair "his most used and probably his most reliable approach" but you also said that you wished you used his Nair more. Also, depending on which is better, could you please explain to me why it's a better general approach then the other.
Fair has more combo potential than Nair when approaching. That's one difference...

Ijuka

Smash Ace
I'd walk towards them extremely slowly, and time a neutral A when they are moving towards you >_> But I'm weird. That actually works quite well btw. Or I'd just space fair knowing that they'll try to grab, then sidestep afterwards. Or eh.. dno >_> Walking slowly is the key.

Spaced fair is pretty safe and it leads into a lot of stuff. If you do the SHFF autocancel nair, you'll be wide open for shieldgrab, or crouch under -> counter attack, or something similiar. I'd only use nair as a shffl, hitting the second hit right when I hit the ground, also spacing it very carefully. I don't like approaching though..

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
If you do the SHFF autocancel nair, you'll be wide open for shieldgrab, or crouch under -> counter attack, or something similiar.
You are not a good player. Stop giving advice on things you don't know about. Autocancel nairs aren't used to approach someone right on their shield like that anyway. I don't mean to sound like I'm insulting you, but for someone who is barely even an average level player to be giving advice out, it really just slows new player's progress by giving them bad habits or guiding them the wrong way.

It's like you having an arguement with Emblem Lord and trying to tell us you can't fair someone's shield and dash away(usually through them) before getting shield grabbed. I do it in tournament consistently to higher level players. It works. Just because you can't do something we talk about, doesn't mean you can try and argue with it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The reason I like nair is because it's more aggressive. With this Marth can start an attack in his SH as soon as he leaves the ground. And it's still safe on block. Fair is good because you can vary the timing on when you actually do the fair and l-cancel it. This makes it a good move to mix up empty shuffles with.

I also like nair because I think it's better defensively. SH backwards and shuffle a nair. I think it's a little better then SH backwards shuffle fair. The timing isn't as strict and it's good for baiting your opponent.

I mostly use JC grabs, shuffle fairs, and d-tilts. I think all Marth's should abuse d-tilts. That move is godly and so abusable. It's very hard to punish when used intelligently.

As for which one is better, fair or nair? I use fair more and so does pretty much every other Marth, so I think that answers your question. Most people consider fair to be better. Mostly because it can set up for combos and grabs. Still nair is a solid move and shouldn't be neglected.

Top Bottom