• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
cobr I think the bo5 are meant for the top 8, not the 'pools'
that would mean of 157 people there are only 8 matches which are bo5

there are no GF in brackets

bout to be pissed again

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I'm officially dedicating all of my tournament matches to all of you peeps who can't make it out this year. You may not physically be here, but you're with me in spirit! As the leader of this community, it is my job to protect the well being of each and everyone one of my children! It is my duty to represent those who cannot represent themselves! Have faith in me guys, I won't let you down! I'm playing for you!

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
This will come as no surprise, but I won't be attending. I didn't prepare for housing, and I simply put I'm not sure it'd be worth going. As much as I love Smash 64, I loathe sitting around in a bus / car, wasting money, and especially crowds of cramped people. So I couldn't justify spending a couple hundred bucks to skip university and join you all.

Being without a laptop for a while, and presently many shots of 151 into the night, I kind of miss the strange but awesome 64 community. I might be back to the Skype group and p64k next week. Be on the lookout for a red bow wrecking havoc online.

Anyways, I'll be rooting Isai if and only if he sticks to the puff, and those who I've played and have shown me hospitality, like cobr, bloodpeach, sheldon, etc. Maybe even Kero, despite that cruel, despicable rat of his that clearly has taken too many roids.

I expect to see many videos, especially of the Hipstur 1-hand myth being debunked, or of Komo rage.

So long,
Eggselent / Puff Daddy / Puff Master / Donkey **** / ...

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
puff daddy we can find you housing! please come to apex so I can best you with 1 hand fox :troll:

but seriously you won't be spending all that much money, please please go :3

mixa

Banned via Warnings
damn those smash fests pre internationals sound like so much fun. i;d consider going to those and skip the tourney

ballin4life

Smash Hero
SK don't get nervous, it's a smash tournament it's supposed to be fun.

I mean, it's not like there's a bunch of vultures waiting on smashboards to make fun of you if you lose to wizzrobe or something

mixa

Banned via Warnings
^ srsly

omg how can you not love aMSa and his purple boots. jc that egg

all cool yoshis are red. take notes

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
new obvious rules, format changed to biggest ego best of 1

whoever's ego is the size of kirby's up tilt wins

kys

Smash Ace
They're still playing, but the stream ended . . . if I'm not mistaken, smash 64 is the only game that got its stream cut off before they were done with pools.

If this is true, that's really ****ing annoying.

Sedda

Smash Champion
the stream was supposed to be on until 11pm.. so yeah. i dont mind. i hope some other gmaes are recorded though.

TANK64

Smash Lord

I mean, it's not like there's a bunch of vultures waiting on smashboards to make fun of you if you lose to wizzrobe or something
Post of the year xD.

Also. Too much **** to talk about.

Good **** Mag.
Good **** Tacos.
Good **** Dex.
Good **** Sheer. Almost.

All I know is...
Mag beat Sensei in Falcon dittos 2-1
Dex took a game off Isai.
Tacos beat Dex.
Sheer took game off Ruoka with Fox.
I've finally seen what SK looks like. 0___o
But haven't seen him play. Gonna do that now. And watch Killer too.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfsHddFGhhKj1r9r9wXGnDYWKod4N9Eqf
^^Should have all the ones on stream.

EDIT: Yooooooyoyo
Killer confirmed black
...and 17.
Mind= blown

The age makes so much sense now though.
Dat T-shirt 2gud doe!

Last edited:

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Top 8:
Isai
Tacos
Mariguas
Ruoka
Moyashi
Jaime
Boom
Winner of Star King vs Wizzrobe (will be played before top 8 tomorrow morning)

I scrubbed out against Wizzrobe in the winners. He's a very patient player and I don't know the Yoshi matchup, so that's that. I lost to Banze 2-1 in an awesome losers bracket match that the world will never see because stream was lame as **** and disappeared at 11 and we were kicked off the one recording setup left. So kind of a lame overall result for me, but I've wanted a tournament match against Banze since we first played at Apex 2013, and I can't imagine a cooler guy to lose to. So it was a satisfying way to bow out.

That's ok though. The world will get to see Firo vs Wizzrobe (Ness vs Yoshi) instead, an amazing three game set that lasts over half an hour and features only Dreamland and Congo. Recorded for your viewing pleasure!

Anyway, while I can still keep up with the A tiers, it's evident that players like Jaime and Sheer are quite a bit better this year than in 2013 and I am...not. I guess that's what I get for hating online play. Oh well, time for a weekend of friendlies, which are way better than tournament anyway. And top 8 tomorrow is going to be insane.

I'm predicting Boom over Isai in grand finals!

Last edited:

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Also the brackets were definitely lopsided - 1 and 2 were WAY heavier than 3 and 4. I'm fairly certain Dext3r could have handily beaten anyone in pool 4 aside from Boom, and could have given Jaime and Moyashi good matches as well (and beaten the rest of pool 3). Poor guy, I was rooting for him hard in pool 1 losers finals. I hope he gets his revenge next time.

Oh, and the stream leaving at 11pm despite late bracket games still going was lame beyond words. Please make sure this doesn't happen next year.

Last edited:

TANK64

Smash Lord
Thanks for the update!

And ggs. No need to feel bad. Everyone is getting better and this year is so stacked. Wish I could be there.

And yeah Wizzy has gotten mad good. He forces you to play his game, it can be frustrating but you get used to it. You should practice against the 100 Yoshi players that are there this weekend.

/Hype for SK vs Wizzy
/Hype for top 8

and yeah dem brackets were lopsided as ****.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
That's ok though. The world will get to see Firo vs Wizzrobe (Ness vs Yoshi) instead, an amazing three game set that lasts over half an hour and features only Dreamland and Congo. Recorded for your viewing pleasure!
>3 game set
>on dreamland and congo
>over 30 minutes

That proves it doesn't matter what stage you play on (hyrule haters). Two defensive players will camp on any map.

firo

Smash Ace
I wouldn't call my matches against wizzrobe amazing, in fact it was the lamest game of smash I've ever played by a wide margin.

Unless some major changes are made to the tournament format including a mandatory timer, this will be the last apex style tournament I plan on entering. Campfests just aren't fun, and it ends up making the tournament run way too long.

TANK64

Smash Lord
There are several reasons why, in FL, we call him M2K jr.

And one of them is his... way of playing.

But yeah, Kefit should respect that way of playing xD.

I tried to warn y'all.

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Top 8:
Isai
Tacos
Mariguas
Ruoka
Moyashi
Jaime
Boom
Winner of Star King vs Wizzrobe (will be played before top 8 tomorrow morning)
jiggs, yoshi, falcon, kirby, falcon/fox, falcon/pika, yoshi (if I have my read on everyone's characters right). at least all the pikas lost pretty much.

who plays who in top 8? do we have a bracket? it'd also be nice to have a list of who the other notables lost to

I scrubbed out against Wizzrobe in the winners. He's a very patient player and I don't know the Yoshi matchup, so that's that. I lost to Banze 2-1 in an awesome losers bracket match that the world will never see because stream was lame as **** and disappeared at 11 and we were kicked off the one recording setup left. So kind of a lame overall result for me, but I've wanted a tournament match against Banze since we first played at Apex 2013, and I can't imagine a cooler guy to lose to. So it was a satisfying way to bow out.

lol this cracked me up. Although tbh I'd still probably rather watch Ness vs Yoshi over Pika dittos!

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Congratz to Isai for winning!

Congratz to Moyashi for the good show as well, really impressive Kirby!

And good job to wizzy and tacos, I'm sure most of us didn't expect you'd do so well! (I knew tacos was being underrated, but not that much).

sman865

Smash Apprentice
best thing I saw:

Isai vs. Mariguas on Hyrule -

Tornado spawns on the middle platform, Isai gets a grab right below it. He waits for the nado to be on the side of the platform, up throws, then up-airs Mariguas into the tornado. If he hadn't waited, Mariguas would have gone straight into the nado and there would have been no uair. He didn't even get the kill, but the mindset of getting all damage possible...mind blown.

Edit:
also, Tacos for A tier.

...and S tier taunt canceling.

Last edited:

TANK64

Smash Lord
Boom I was rooting for you!

Also ggs to Wizzy getting top 8 ! You rep FL well :) . Although Sheer got screwed in god mode pool.

Also, didn't expect Tacos to do so well 0___o Good **** bro. You can def be in DinoMight now lololol. Also you hella earned that top 8.

More thoughts later.

Pooncahontas

Smash Apprentice
Apex 2014: Year of the Yoshi.

Highlights

Isai still imba.
Turns out KB isn't.
Tacos is the greatest player of all time.
Jimmy Joe dropping shoutouts to Emmi.
Killer v. SK bout to go down.

Top Bottom