• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
Time for me to do that weird thing with my thoughts on the players, starting with top8

1. Isai
Was cool getting to meet you. We forgot to talk about One Piece though. Great set with Moyashi.
2. Moyashi
I doubt he's reading this but he was noticeably tall
3. Boom
Good seeing you again, ggs on our stage friendlies
4. Mariguas
You look even crazier than what I was expecting. You did mad good though, ggs
5. Wizzrobe
WHO THE **** thought you'd make it this far? Not even your mum I bet. Confirmed smash prodigy pwnt everyone ggs
5. Tacos
Grats on pwning me. I had a bad day at smash but I don't think I would've beat you anyway. Good job on surviving the death pool with Isai and not getting 13th (pwn)
7. JaimeHR
Good job on getting top 8 three years in a row.
7. Ruoka Dancho
Don't think he'd read this and I didn't play him anyway. But it was nice having him here again.

Other peeps:
Hipstur: youre exactly as I thought you'd be: pretty weird. You got a lot better since you beat me in Fox dittos on a 64 controller and was even able to break my shield twice (confirmed not a fraud)

Star king: sorry for calling you star **** on occasion. You are probably the most gorgeous smasher in here and that thing you do with your tongue is pretty hot. I didn't see wiz pwn you but I think you weren't playing your best since everyone was eyeing you as the strange specimen kb players are. We all know you're an ultra god and it was nice seeing you. My friendlies with you were secretly my favorite which is why I wrote a paragraph. (Ps yoshi confirmed > Link)

Han solo: you beat me in bo3 fox dittos which I assume means you got better since we never played before. Too bad you still lost to two Canadians in tourney.

Killer: nice meeting you. You didn't do as well as you could've but it was your first tourney and stuff. You were also very friendly and all around nice to talk with.

Sensei: very handsome man 9/10

Near: ur a noob

Kerokeroppi: you're just as much of an asshole IRL than on smashboards, not sure why I've read the opposite. On a positive note, you are a lot better at smash than I thought you'd be. I still pwned you tho. You're also pretty handsome

Stranded: i thought I'd hate you but you're pretty cool. Our matches were fun I think

Merihim: i doubt he's reading this so I will refer to him in the third person. He is actually much better than what people have seen of him in the tourney. I've played his warmed up counterpart in friendlies for a solid hour, and he is definitely not a standard Falcon. He didn't make it as far as the other two Japanese players in the tourney due to what I assume is nervousness but he is still a VERY solid player.

Komo: sup ***. Was nice meeting you and playing for a bit.

Bloopdeach: hey m8. You are probably the friendliest of the bunch. Glad you were the first person I met. You are like a blue eyed teddy bear and I want to hug you.

Rob: asshole I asked you to play like 15 times also confirmed false prophet x2 ps nice commentary

Jimmyjoe: great job commentating as usual. you were very friendly and approachable, hope to see you again soon

Dexter: we only played a bit and you pwned me :c ggz man you were really cool, hope to see you next apex

Sheermadness: nice comeback in that fox game vs ruoka ps I wore your shirt again

Jam: you are really cool and friendly, we didn't get to play but we hanged a bit. hope to see you again

Banze: we barely talked but you were still nice and friendly. good job in the tourney too

Mrmarbles: as i said you're much better than when I played you few months ago. Very marbly pikachu. Ggs m8

Greginator: nice to meet you man. had some nice friendlies with you and hope to play you more soon. Good job on the commentary

Pete: I didn't get to personally meet you but your commentary was great, especially when you were arguing with jimmyjoe about control schemes and you were like "easier for YOU!" then jimmyjoe was like "no..."

Revan: nice seeing you again, you definitely improved since August and you pwned my fox again in friendlies. Ps i saw you playing ness as an alt, don't.

Ybombb: as i said you are a funny dude and it was nice meeting you. I think you finished higher than I did but I still sent you to Loser's jajajaja XDDD

Now I'm really tired so if I forgot someone please don't be offended.

Last edited:

SSBPete

Smash Lord
Apex 2014 was one of the best weekends of my life.
Shoutouts to cobr and jimmyjoe in particular for everything they did for jerry and I.
Rob for housing us, transporting us and generally helping us out whenever we needed it.
Jimmy for helping me out with the hotel, commentating with me and having clutch yoshi jiggs games.

Others who deserve a mention in no particular order include:
Kero and strandeds crew - they were all mad legit excluding especially kero and stranded
Shears - thanks for drinking up with me
Sensei - a loveable character
Bloodpeach - insanely nice guy
Smash Jesus - smash jesus
Knitephox - cool guy, wish we got to play a few more games
Clubba - top bloke
Han solo - said I'd be disapointed if he wasn't Harrison ford. I was mistaken. This guy is even more awesome (and handsome)
Koro - really funny dude
Isai - I parry grab ko'd you once. Therefore I win apex.
Moyashi - Likened me to prince. I can die happy
Steve - spent most of his time helping people and buying us beers. Absolute legend
Star king
Rouka
Merihem
Boomfan - sorry I couldn't get the last game in
Jam - S tier accent
Olikus - surprisingly cool for a kirby player
Tom - awesome dk doubles partner
Vwls - had some of the best games I've ever played with you
Fireblaster - great guy!
Weedwack - beastly ness
Banze - had a laughing fit with him at 6am
Killer - most chill smasher
Tacos
Wizzy
Sheermadness
Dexter

I know there are so many people I've forgotten but when I get some sleep I'll rememeber and add you to the list!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
very jealous of pete going to america playing smash without me

resolving to go to apex 2015

watching that smash documentary hyped me up so much

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Had such an amazing and memorable weekend!! My apologies to everyone for being in a zombie like state by Sunday, the lack of sleep had completely caught up to me by then, I love you all even if I didn't say goodbye :')

Shout-outs here to follow, but I want to address a few things about commentary.

Any comments or constructive criticism are definitely appreciated; I always like watching matches better when there is commentary, and I think that is generally the case for most smashers, though sometimes we differ on what we like to hear commentators talk about during matches, or what we believe to be great commentary. I really want to do the absolute best job I can at representing the 64 community, being informative about the gameplay and players, and generally adding some entertainment and insight to the match at hand(I'm sure this goes for Greg, Pete, Cobr, han, clubba, and the whole gang who got on the mic this weekend as well). Obviously there are a lot of different players watching the matches, and often times gamers who don't yet play SSB64, so we should attempt to cater to them a bit as well if we want our community to grow. That may mean talking about something which seems elementary to us here on the 64 forums, but we can't take for granted that they may have no idea about it.

In an attempt to be as professional as possible, the one thing that I found really varies from player to player is the balance of play by play calling vs. speaking in depth about a moment or scenario just witnessed. I spoke with a lot of people prior to this weekend about that and kind of decided on the mindset that commentary which really focuses on the play by play is only recapping what you are already seeing, so I think it could generally be more interesting to talk about the most recent mindgame/technical victory in the spacing war more in depth, but somewhat briefly, while attempting to stay on the lookout for the next critical moment. Anyways I'd be interested to know what you guys think about play-by-play vs. in depth analysis so if you feel strongly, definitely let me know.

To those who've given some feedback already, thanks very much. I'd like to apologize to Moyashi again for callling him Kikoushi so many times. There is no excuse for that, but there are many reasons we had been comparing them, and when someone talked about Moyashi's skill level at any point, they would compare him to kikoushi if they had gotten a chance to play him last APEX.

As far as the pronunciation of Isai, a bunch of us spoke with him about his name, and if you aren't aware, It is pronounced 'ee-sigh-ee' (i have no idea how to write something out phonetically but I think this should suffice lol)
I was trying to be professional and pronounce his name correctly, but in hindsight I could have just called him 'eye-zayah' from the beginning because he is known to most by that pronunciation, and he seems to be fine with it.

Anyway, no excuses, just trying to give insight on why these were honest mistakes, but again, we're all pretty new to this, and I certainly plan on continuing to do commentary and improving as much as I can.

Shoutouts to follow......

Sensei

Smash Lord
It was great seeing everyone again! GGs to everyone I played and it was cool hanging with some old and new faces. GJ to everybody in the tournament. I didn't plan on making top 8 and glad I didn't because I didn't want that much pressure xD The top 8 definitely deserved it

Some memorable moments:

Man-handling shears in a drunken money match (good matches with tom though xP)

Playing against Killer for friendlies in the first day before the KB adapter got set up and I played against him with his bootleg unlicensed Nintendo 64 controller and pwning him and him saying in his steve urkel voice, "If I had my KB adapter right now, I would be ****** you!", while I'm laughing hysterically at his futile attempts to recover from the stage. He did beat me in some close intense matches in tournament so GJ to him xP

Jaime's Elmo laugh. Wish I got to hear more of his impersonations lol

They YOLO tournaments at Karajan's basement and at the 64 lounge.

Teaming with Nintendude against the KB warriors Killer and Star King in tournament

Playing some "enlightened" matches at Weedwack's place

Using google translate to explain the crew battle to the Japanese

... and so much more to name

I didn't really want to go to APEX this year because I wasn't really in the smash mood but I'm glad I came and hung out with everyone again. I plan on taking a break from smash for a while but may host tournaments in the region to help the scene grow but I don't plan on entering anymore. I see the community getting even bigger and don't think the momentum will stop anytime soon. It will be exciting to see how APEX 2015 will be and maybe I'll come back for that. Glad I got to be apart of this and I wish everyone the best!!

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
I(hipstur) really liked playing you, Sensei. I was bummed when you drunkenly admitted to me that you were retiring from smash T_T watching your fox was one of the things that inspired me to play orange fox. Dem swag yellow boots, man.

More shoutouts to come later in the results thread most likely.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Shoutouts will come later, but for now I will just shoutout boom for making me believe Fox was good for all of 4 minutes during loser's finals. For those 4 minutes I had complete faith that my character could one day actually do well at a tournament. It was a beautiful 4 minutes.

That fantasy ended pretty quick though.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Shoutouts will come later, but for now I will just shoutout boom for making me believe Fox was good for all of 4 minutes during loser's finals. For those 4 minutes I had complete faith that my character could one day actually do well at a tournament. It was a beautiful 4 minutes.

That fantasy ended pretty quick though.
well that didn't take long =P

clubbadubba

Smash Master
There is so much to say about this event and so many shoutouts to give, but for now just a couple of thank you's in no particular order:

Karajan: Without this guy, I don't think we have any japanese players at Apex. Not to mention housing 10+ people thursday night including a number of people that ended up staying there on a whim (myself included). Also thanks to his adapter kb players were able to play in the tournament (all opinions about kb's aside that was pretty cool). Buying pretty much every 64 player a drink was pretty sweet as well.

Nintendude & Chain-Ace (and Kerokeroppi): These guys set up the tournament and kero helped them run it. This is a HUGE task and takes up a lot of time on their part that could be used to do lots of other fun things at Apex. Glad they are able to do this and make Apex enjoyable for everyone. These guys get more **** than they do credit for all they do, and I don't think its fair.

Weedwack & Bloodpeach: Housing tons of people including a fair amount of international people. Housing is a big thing that makes it possible for people to travel so far to come to these big events, and without it I'm sure there are a number of players that would not have been able to come. Weedwack with the TV's and bloodpeach with the recording setup as well, huge for both tournament and post tournament experience.

Jimmyjoe: Booked two hotel rooms for not only players he's known for a while but also a number of new players as well. Always willing to give a helping hand at these things, like driving me out at around 11 Saturday night to get food and beverages, which was super awesome.

Kefit & Jel: More of a personal thank you, as they picked me up from the train station and let me keep stuff in their hotel room when I had no where else to put it. Did this for a number of other people as well, so big thanks to him for making life a little bit easier on us.

Everyone who traveled from far away: What makes apex so great is not that I get to see the local players that I see several times throughout the year anyway, but that I get to see and meet all these players from as far away as japan/australia. To all players traveling from midwest, southeast, west coast, canada, mexico, brazil, japan, europe, australia, thanks for making this event so amazing.

Sensei: I guess since you're "retiring" (lol) I'll give you a thank you for all the good times we've had at events over the past couple of years. I'm glad to hear you'll still be around and won't be falling off the face of the earth. I understand tourney matches get stressful and honestly a lot of the time aren't even fun, but man just playing games are amazing and I've had some of my best smash experiences playing with you (falcon pause dittos at zenith, the tourney set we had at apex this year, and so many more). I hope at future events you'll at least participate in the post tourney friendlies because I'd hate to think that link ditto was the last time I ever played you. I need my REVENGE!

Sedda

Smash Champion
sensei's gonna come back when kero starts getting a little too good. put that ***** back in his place

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Does anyone have updated pools brackets? Who won between Jam and kero?
I won pika dittos in winners. He beat my falcon in losers.

Kerokeroppi: you're just as much of an ******* IRL than on smashboards, not sure why I've read the opposite.
Lol sounds like you're just salty that i gave you a thrashing this weekend.

Seriously though, if i was a **** at all, i didn't mean anything by it. I was probably just ****ing around, my bad dude.

This weekend was hella fun. God dammit i ****ing love apex.

Will post shoutouts sometime between tomorrow and july 22, 2023.

Cashbah losers.

OH AND COMBO, I'M LIKE 99% PERCENT SURE I HAVE YOUR COAT. IMBOX ME OR SOMETHING BRAH.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Commentary is way better than no commentary. Also, commentary is hard and peeps should thank the commentators for stepping up and providing that service instead of playing friendlies or whatever.

I thought Jimmyjoe, Greg, Han, Clubba, and all the other guys did super well, even if I personally would have liked to see a little more in the way of hype or play-by-play.

Shears

Smash Master
Sensei is only retiring because he knows he got lucky in those drunk smash sets and is afraid of being dethroned so he's going out on top.

This was an awesome weekend and event and everything else. Too many fantastic people to shoutout to so shoutout to everyone at Apex. Can't wait for 2015.

10fatbitchsandwichessuckchars

Also I think I owe @ jimmyjoe jimmyjoe some money for that buffalo chicken wrap and drunk money match. $14? Remind me to pay you back next time.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
Incredible experience this weekend. I will also post my shout-outs in the near future. The crew battle was also very exciting, especially the way the crowd reacted. I look forward to the next possible Apex.

Ceasar

Banned via Warnings
Everyone keeps talking about the crew battle. What happened?
I could tell you, but I would rather you watch it instead, provided it was recorded. It turned out to be a lot more exciting than we thought it'd be.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Commentary is way better than no commentary. Also, commentary is hard and peeps should thank the commentators for stepping up and providing that service instead of playing friendlies or whatever.

I thought Jimmyjoe, Greg, Han, Clubba, and all the other guys did super well, even if I personally would have liked to see a little more in the way of hype or play-by-play.
Yea I really wish we could get a little more hype going, but honestly its kind of tough with 64 matches because they aren't usually all that fast paced. Falcon dittos could potentially be a little more hyped up since stuff is actually happening most of the time, we should probably work on that as commentators.

Another point of constructive criticism for commentary is to not get caught up talking about something so much that you miss things in the match. I'm sure I'm guilty of it as well, but I was watching my match vs ceasar and the commentators were giving player background for the first 4 stocks and ended up missing a fair amount of noteworthy stuff. While I'm all for player background, we need to be focused on the match as well.

The crew battle was amazing, everyone needs to watch it, its way better that way than if we told you.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I liked commentary. Props to all who volunteered.

Wish I could have stayed up for the crew battle. Shouldn't have done it at 4am. My eyes were completely shot at that point. =[

Moyashi is so incredibly friendly. Love that guy. I told him Prince in my favorite and I learned everything from him and Sossi. He told Prince and said Prince wants to play me.

YESSSS

Wouldn't know where to start with shout outs. I felt like I did really bad vs Falcons this tourney. I guess mainly Ruoka since he pwned me in winners and losers of my pool. But I didn't feel very comfortable with any Falcon this weekend. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Last edited:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Oh and FL warned you guys about Wizzy.

I'll take 100% credit for his combo game. He needs to teach me patience though.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so i guess it's time to reevaluate the legality of hyrule, considering camprobe had a 40 min set or whatever with firo on congo and dL

meowmeowrainbowkitty

Smash Apprentice
I also wonder how many times hyrule was gentleman'd.

also, i was watching stream--most of the DL matches involving campiness ended up being ~8-9min. (So obviously getting rid of hyrule to eliminate camping isn't really working) Er. I do recognize that it takes more skill than just running away when it comes to avoiding the opponent on DL.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Personally, I loved the commentary. Did it have bad spots and were there some slip-ups? Yeah, but it's not like any of us are professional commentators and it's really hard to captivate an audience while being insightful and entertaining. Nobody wants to hear someone talk about frame data for 5 minutes, and nobody wants to hear commentators going off on random topics like what they had for dinner last night. I feel they had a good balance of describing what was going on and trying to hype up players, especially those AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- *mic cut* parts. I never felt like they were trying too hard and the conversations feel natural which is much better than what we had last year imo.

also for some reason everyone who plays smash is really good looking like damn jimmyjoe the whole chat was swooning over you (including me)

Great Apex, probably the best one we've had. I don't know where my place is in Smash but I'd love to just show up and meet you all because most of you seem so chill and just fun to hang out with. If Apex 2015 is a thing, i'll try and make it happen.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I have full results but they are being posted with the official apex results thread. Will update you guys when they are available.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Will type out my full shoutouts later but had an amazing time at Apex! Thanks to everyone for coming out and making 64 a legit part of the tournament. Also a special thank you to Nintendude, chain-ace and Kero for helping 64 run smoothly and Alex Strife for putting up with us. I think the 64 community represented themselves well so hopefully everyone who is in touch with Strife can thank him and let him know that we'd love to be at Apex 2015 as well.

Sad that I couldn't stay for Sunday but had a blast meeting everyone and playing friendlies until 5am the night before I had to get up at 7am to do commentary lol. Was especially cool to hang out with the Japanese guys and play a bunch of friendlies with them - they are all really cool. Funniest moment was clubba communicating with them (they don't really speak English) by saying "Kirby" and doing the uptilt motion with his foot.

Definitely appreciate the opportunity to do commentary and hope to be able to do it again in the future. Can be tough to do on 2 hours of sleep (hence some of the dumb mistakes) but it is nice to have the feedback from everyone. Jimmy Joe and I will certainly take your suggestions to heart and improve in the future. If anyone has any more specific feedback about our commentating it is always welcome. I agree that there is a trade-off between background info and play-by-play, and it sounds like overall people preferred more play-by-play so will keep that in mind.

Great time overall. Let's hope we can keep the momentum going over the course of the year.

Top Bottom