• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Talked to Kefit more about this and it looks like we will be there for 6 days this time. Unless something comes up. Cant wait to play mad smash with everyone again. I will post again when we are booked.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Kind of not caring much about Smash lately, but seeing everyone again and actually sticking around to **** around in the Smashfests that continue long after the tournament ends should be tons of fun. I gotta get in a truly absurd amount of Smash this time around since I probably can't make it to Apex 2015. Also planning to actually head into Manhattan for a little while this year - it's about time I get around to doing that while so close to NYC.

Does anyone know when the bulk of the SSB64 tournament will be held this year? In 2012 it was on Saturday, but this year it was Friday. Also, does anyone know if the special Apex hotel rate extends beyond the actual event itself? Jel and I are tentatively planning on flying in on Wednesday and out on Monday, and it would be nice to know what we are getting ourselves into.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Major announcement:

After talking it several other SSB64 TOs from the Northeast, HYRULE IS BANNED FOR APEX 2014

So was this ever confirmed? I saw somewhere that Alex Strife still needed to approve of this decision so I want to make sure of this before I get hype that I'm going to a tournament that won't allow one of the dumbest stages in a competitive ruleset.

Woah woah woah.

I don't know Yobo's situation, and I can understand one labeling the bovine and I as pika mains. But by no means have Sensei and Nintendude abandoned their mains.

Going pika a handful of times in tourney doesn't make you a pika main. They both deserve more credit than that.

If you want to find out someone's true main at the time, look at the character they picked last before they got sent to losers/eliminated while they were in a true competitive mindset to win.

Maliki

Smash Ace
If you want to find out someone's true main at the time, look at the character they picked last before they got sent to losers/eliminated while they were in a true competitive mindset to win.[/quote]

That's so true.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
So was this ever confirmed? I saw somewhere that Alex Strife still needed to approve of this decision so I want to make sure of this before I get hype that I'm going to a tournament that won't allow one of the dumbest stages in a competitive ruleset.

If you want to find out someone's true main at the time, look at the character they picked last before they got sent to losers/eliminated while they were in a true competitive mindset to win.
i haven't heard anything, but i doubt Alex Strife would bother to overturn something like that

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
if hyrule is banned, we either move peach's to a starter and keep stage striking or abide by the chain ace ruleset of dreamland first and then counterpick among the three.

and uh, we should probably see if pools is what the community wants. i know it was brought up at zenith but that was months ago.

Shears

Smash Master
Could we just unban Hyrule? Have Hyrule, Dreamland, and Congo as starting stages with Peach's and the previous 3 as counterpicks. If you're going to cry and complain about Hyrule like a little sissy Melee/Brawl ***** then strike it from starting, win on Dreamland in the first match, lose on Hyrule (like a man/Eliot) in the second match, and win the third match on your favorite stage and then wash the sand out of your vagina.

10hyrulechars

Edit: The "you" is a figurative you representing anyone who bans Hyrule

10editchars

Maliki

Smash Ace
If hyrule is banned I wouldn't mind a chain ace ruleset. I would much prefer hyrule to be freed though.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
if hyrule is banned, we either move peach's to a starter and keep stage striking or abide by the chain ace ruleset of dreamland first and then counterpick among the three.

and uh, we should probably see if pools is what the community wants. i know it was brought up at zenith but that was months ago.
stage selection: no preference

pools: definitely. For a big tourney like apex I think top 32 from pools make the bracket would be fine

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I know you don't like this idea cobr, but the only real downside to pools in your mind seems to be that not everyone actually plays the game will make it out of pools. But as has been stated in the past, the point of pools is not to filter out the baddies, its to filter out the goodies.

Also, pools just gives everyone more games and higher quality games at that.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
that is not the problem i have with pools. it's top 2. with top 2, 3/4 of the players will not make it out. 96 people will be cut from a 128 man listing. that's entirely too many, in my opinion, and will lead to a lot of dissatisfaction.

anyway, that's the way i saw it from zenith.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yea i mean its really our choice how exclusive the bracket is, and more people in bracket means more games for more people, which is good. Honestly I'm all for 2 rounds of pools or something like that, but time constraints are a big issue.

@fireblaster, you mean like bracket pools? Yea that's true, I was assuming RR

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
it would suck for many people who spend alot of money to come to apex and not make it to bracket

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
it would suck for many people who spend alot of money to come to apex and not make it to bracket
I entered melee at zenith for the hell of it. Instead of losing two matches and getting knocked out right away, I got to fight 7 different players while being in pools. So round robin pools are pretty cool for everyone involved. Double elimination pools I'm kinda indifferent about because they only serve the purpose of reseeding the main bracket

Shears

Smash Master
You could have top 2 from each pool qualify for the bracket, then the next top 16 would qualify for play in rounds to the bracket. Basically a bracket of 48 where the 32 with first round byes are the top 2 from each pool. You wouldnt be eliminating 96 but you would be eliminating 80 out of 128 which is 3/5 of the tournament, and to me, letting in more than the top 2/5 will dilute the quality of bracket matches. Also having a bracket of 64 on top of pool play will be very time consuming.

10bracketchars

Edit: This wouldn't exactly work. At 48 only the top 16 would get byes while the remaining 32 had play ins. Instead have the top 32 get first round byes and let in an at-large 32 that would have single elimination play-in to face the top 32 in the double elimination bracket.

10bracketmathchars

Olikus

Smash Champion
clubba the point with pools isnt to only make the best players make bracket. Its to give all attendees more matches(more for the money), and by the same time get rid of the noobs.
So the best AND the decent players make bracket. Not only the best.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Im all about that single bracket double elimination swag.

I wanna go in, win x # of matches, get bodied, and then be free to play friendlies.

The 64 scene at its heart is all about FRIENDLIES anyway.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
My chances of going to APEX has risen to 100% if I WANT TO. However, I'm still unsure whether I should go. I mean, it's a lot of money still, and I feel like I could better allocate that money elsewhere.

Are there any people that have gone to Apex and would recommend it?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
did you already register? yes? then go to apex

we're a fun community, near...we're not those melee nerds who smell and are antisocial as ****, we'll make you feel right at home

also i'll have beer

EggSelent

Smash Apprentice
Do you like playing 64 with the best players in the world and then going out for a FAT *****? Yes? Then go to Apex.
a fat bl_unt? puff daddy approves. for ultimate gangstaness, 40s of malt liquor + dat

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Near Skrlx you should totally go. My first trip to Apex was ****ing amazing. It was just a great experience meeting all of these people for the first time and just having a blast chilling out and playing smash. I was supposed to go for 2.5 days, I ended up staying for like 5-6 days lol. If you are looking for someone to tell you to book your ticket: BOOK YOUR TICKET.

mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, gyro meat, bacon, french fries, onion rings, marinara sauce, lettuce

the FAT CLUBBA

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So there is at least one thing on the fat clubba that doesn't have negative nutritional value.

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
is there a deadline to purchase the tix? i couldnt find that info anywhere

i just asked for an extra day of work in hopes to save up for the trip

Shears

Smash Master
^^ implying nutritional value == net calories

nice try bro

If all you were trapped on a desert island with nothing to eat but lettuce, you would starve to death and die. [lim,t-> f(x)=t*(eating lettuce)]<0: where <0 implies rate of death, >0 implies rate of survival, =0 implies status quo. negative nutritional value.

10survivalchars

Top Bottom