• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
chibo said on fb they plan on having 96 tournament tv's available at any time. i wrote a response: https://www.facebook.com/events/137...d=1484644335094187&offset=0&total_comments=45

"you are bringing your TV for the tournament staff to use, not just for your game."

don't be dumb.

the tournament staff cannot take your property away from you. if you bring a FULL SETUP for 64 and the staff says "we have enough 64 setups, i think we should use the tv for melee" you have every right to decline and use YOUR own property for YOUR setup for YOUR game.

it just so happens that people are generally nice enough to let the other communities use their stuff.

the issue, chibo, is that we're currently being given 4 hours to run 2 32 man brackets, then another 4 hours to run 2 more. we are then being given ~4 hours of stream time, for top8.

what that conveys to me is that top 8 will take about as long as a full local tourney, because it's basically the same amount of allotted time. that is, quite simply, not the case.

with round robin pools, they can easily be started two hours earlier, at 2pm. most people are already going to be there really early to play anyway, and if the venue opens at 10am, but 64 doesn't start til 4, that's 6 hours of just dead time used for friendlies/crews/warmups.

that time can be spent getting through round robin pools. there is very clearly enough time. further, if we're allotted almost four hours of stream time, we can get top 8 or even top 12 to fill that all up.

i am not saying i do not want friendlies or crews or OC teams. i'm saying there is PLENTY of time available.

starting 64 at 4pm after 6 hours in the venue is dumb. start at noon with round robin pools, make melee and brawl bring their own TV's, and refuse to give your tv's to other games because you brought it to play YOUR game on. staff can't complain about lack of setups if everyone brings a bunch.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Battlecow was right. We really need our own national tournament separate from the other games. That way, the community decides how the tournament is run.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Battlecow was right. We really need our own national tournament separate from the other games. That way, the community decides how the tournament is run.

I'm trying to host one, 1,000 pot bonus just like melee and brawl get at Apex. Working on getting setups at the moment.

firo

Smash Ace
The ruleset and tournament format is pretty stinky.

I'll be at apex, but I'm still undecided on whether I'm gonna enter the tournament instead of just playing friendlies.

M!nt

Smash Champion
How good are you at tcg? Are you better than frogles? Oh wait everyone is better than frogles, why'd I even ask that :p

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i've won tournaments up to the size of cities (30ish-man tournaments, cuz australia), and the decks i build/help build have consistently topped nats, one of which got to top 2 and was gimped out of winning because ****ing quad-terrakion

kinda out of touch with the format though

M!nt

Smash Champion
frogles steals cards from children. Now everyone knows.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
My guess is that they want to finish the tournament in time to be streamed Saturday morning. There is nothing before 2pm on Clash tournaments on Sunday though...

So Koro have you been in contact with A Strife via smashboards PMs then? I was about to send him one but I figured I'd check with you because I don't wanna bombard him.
I contacted him via facebook. I'm a friend of his wut.

Also, i just realized that this tournament starts on Friday. I thought Friday was going to be a friendlies day, what the ****. I can't make this event anymore as I have work so it really does not matter anymore for me.

GL everyone, hope you have fun.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I mean I might go for friendlies on Saturday or Sunday but I literally can't get there until 6:00 P:M at the earliest

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I mean I might go for friendlies on Saturday or Sunday but I literally can't get there until 6:00 P:M at the earliest
doesn't nintendude do the seeding? maybe u can have him put you in pool 3 or 4 which starts at 6 i believe. that's assuming the schedule and format doesn't change tho which i think we all want it to change

Maliki

Smash Ace
I think that with the time we have until apex changes will definitely be made to what the 64 event has for its schedule. Considering nobody likes why it is now and everyone wants it to change.

Annex

Smash Ace
I think that with the time we have until apex changes will definitely be made to what the 64 event has for its schedule. Considering nobody likes why it is now and everyone wants it to change.
The other smash communities seem pretty happy.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
https://www.facebook.com/events/137...id=1484490655109555&offset=0&total_comments=7

https://www.apex-series.com/Apex2014Schedule.pdf

Not sure if it got posted here, but with the stuff that's going with a tournament format this bad we wont get a lot of good tournament games. Maybe we should all ask for a refund and run are own 64 tournament.

A lot of us are paying a lot of money to come to this just to play Smash 64. I would feel really bad for someone who had to pay more then $1000 for this and only get in a few good tournament games.

Here is a good example. Lets say you pay for a movie and your out with friends and they all pay for this movie. Now when you get inside and hand your tickets to the usher he or she ends up sending in to something you did not want to see. But you sit there and watch it anyway. This is what's happening to us here.

Also thinking about it would be really easy for us to run are own 64 tournament maybe even with stream but we all would have to do a few things to make it happen.

1. Get full refund for what you pay for at Apex

2. Use the hotel rooms that we have booked to run are own 64 tournament

3. Someone would have to bring a powerful laptop so streaming could be done

4. Use all money that you got refund for are own 64 tournament pot

Pros to this: RR pools, No time limit for other games, more money for pot then what apex would give, not having your TV taken for other games.

Cons to this: Lose pot bonus, lose sponsors, lose a few players.

35 players signed up just for 64 so you would get venue fee witch would be 35x35= 1225

then add in the 10 you used for 64 and that's 10x35= 350. 350+1225= 1575 for pot much more then apex!!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
well consider it this way, currently it's pretty much the same as last year and as far as I know everyone last year had a superb time. there is obviously disagreement with what the community is getting this year but the bar is already set in a pretty good spot.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
i've won tournaments up to the size of cities (30ish-man tournaments, cuz australia), and the decks i build/help build have consistently topped nats, one of which got to top 2 and was gimped out of winning because ****ing quad-terrakion

kinda out of touch with the format though

Good luck ************

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i am super biased towards MtG for TCGs, but poke is much better than yugiho where you just **** your hand out LOL

from what i've seen, they've made poke really EZ over the expansions lately..i guess same with MtG.

gj with that FAT CHECK steve

is there NO WAY we can get pools if we have 2x necessary setups?

kys

Smash Ace
Why doesn't someone make a thread in the Apex 2014 section? If someone went all out and comprehensively outlined all the arguments it might generate something.

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
We need to have a world championships for the smash 64 versions in like hawaii or something

clubbadubba

Smash Master
2 differences between this years format and last years format:

1) 8 players have the potential to play as many as 2 extra tournament sets.

2) The likelihood of playing the same person twice just went up by a factor of 4. And that's without doing math I bet its more with some reasonable assumptions. So dumb.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
2) The likelihood of playing the same person twice just went up by a factor of 4. And that's without doing math I bet its more with some reasonable assumptions. So dumb.
this is what i was trying to explain to people but didn't know how to word it

because you're in a 32 man tourney you can't move to other parts of the larger tourney due to your "pool"

so wait are we seriously going to let melee/brawl use our tv's for their pools? have we gotten word that that is what is supposed to be happening with the entire 96 tourney tv's available at any time bull****?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Well while we are at the venue any setups we brought are fair game to be used for the tournament, assuming you received a discount for bringing a setup. And even if you didn't get the discount, well idk if they might kick you out if you try to take your TV back. Dunno if they have the right they have to do that, but they definitely do have a right to not let you use any outlets at the venue, since they are renting the place for the weekend. So taking tv's from the tournament and moving them to our friendly section at the venue likely can be stopped by them if they really want to.

That being said, we can always take our TV's to the hotel rooms friday night and not bring them back on Saturday lol. You know, since we have no tourney stuff after 1 pm on Saturday anyway. Honestly not much reason to be at the venue on saturday/sunday unless you care about the other games assuming we can all fit in hotel rooms. I was gonna enter melee, but I'm not going to any more because I don't want them to have any more of my money than necessary, and it remains to be seen if I enter 64 at all idk.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
that's something I'd probably be able to do
Didn't realize that 64 was on Friday....

I am going to have to work as well so if you could put me in the latest possible bracket that would be much appreciated. Please let me know so I can make travel plans accordingly.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I would like to be the #2 seed in the bracket without isai, boom, jaime, tavo, moyashi, ruoka, sensei, a$, nintendude, sheer, killer, star king, kero, stranded, m2k, tacos, dexter, mariguas, banze, tank, pete, cobr, weedwack, wizzrobe, and maybe a few others to be named later. Thanks!

edit: zenyore, ybombb, blink, fireblaster, firo, near, bane

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
can someone kindly explain why the **** my post was deleted? as in, why the **** can't i openly call people on their **** for trying to take away someone else's property?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
can someone kindly explain why the **** my post was deleted? as in, why the **** can't i openly call people on their **** for trying to take away someone else's property?
hahahahaha they deleted mine too I think (unless it was in another thread... but I'm pretty sure it was here). WTF is this **** lol? Sangoku was that you? I saw that Chibo was lurking idk what kind of SUPERPOWERS he has but certainly he is not more powerful than Sangoku, right? Well anyway to summarize the deleted posts that occurred just between my 9:18 am post and greg's 9:23 am post because I will not be silenced:

Cobr said something like don't let people take your stuff guys. We paid venue fee and have right to use the venue.

I said they might have a bit of leverage at the venue by claiming outlets/space for the tourney over our friendly area, but there is definitely no leverage outside the venue.

Not really sure what this censor attempt is lol

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
2013's SSB64 tournament was on Friday too so I dunno why this is shocking news. Can't you guys ask for a day off? I'm taking three days off for my entire trip.

The 16 man pools are really ill conceived. They're gonna be either uncompetitive (Isai and boom pools) or contain a repeated instance of one competitive high end match (say, a Kefit+Sheer pool). Possibly other repeated matches as well. Something that diversifies player matchups more would definitely be superior.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
2013's SSB64 tournament was on Friday too so I dunno why this is shocking news. Can't you guys ask for a day off? I'm taking three days off for my entire trip.

The 16 man pools are really ill conceived. They're gonna be either uncompetitive (Isai and boom pools) or contain a repeated instance of one competitive high end match (say, a Kefit+Sheer pool). Possibly other repeated matches as well. Something that diversifies player matchups more would definitely be superior.
Don't you mean 32 man brackets?

Top Bottom