• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2014 - January 17-19, 2014 - Somerset, NJ

clubbadubba

Smash Master
pretty good ruleset. First stage always dreamland is a bold move, but better than having peach's be a neutral I suppose.

LLDL

Smash Hero
It creates more matches if you make it out of pools because everyone starts bracket in winners regardless of if you came second in your pool.

not this year. You start the final bracket in losers if you get second in your pool. Like evo. It's essentially one big bracket split into smaller brackets for organizational purposes.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You start the final bracket in losers if you get second in your pool.
That's really lame.

Round robin pools please.

EDIT: Gotta give props to dictatordude though. Finally listened to the people and kept it at 5 stock. Good job.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
not this year. You start the final bracket in losers if you get second in your pool. Like evo. It's essentially one big bracket split into smaller brackets for organizational purposes.
woah that's awful. would the one extra round of games kill anybody? We're gonna finish this by like 8 pm on friday...

LLDL

Smash Hero
I don't know how it will be for 64 but that's how it is for all of the other games.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
on today's list of things i give a **** about

[x] my chicken parm
[x] some cash coming my way
[x] grad school apps
[ ] kero's **** comments

oh would you look at that

now fix your ****ing car

additionally: there are 63 people signed up (if near reregisters it'll be 64), with many people still missing who are confirmed to be going. it was unfortunate that i saw that such people who have played 64 have not signed up - chain ace, eikalmann, pidgezero, those are the names i recall seeing in the people who signed up for melee but not 64. i'm thinking we'll reach capacity, or close to it, within the month. i am sincerely hoping all these local tourney kids decide to come out and enjoy themselves.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
so i have a few issues with this:
1. we are going to have at max 1/3rd the people of melee/brawl, period. aka, we are going to have the fastest bracket by far. a cap of 128 means this tournament will run smoothly. last i checked, the main reason why evo rules were used for let's say melee was since there were 600 plus people there.
2. this game is faster.
3. this community is small, aka we have a small cconcentration of top level players. and a whole lot of semi-top players. There is no reason to limit a bracket with this many strong players.

if we are going to have bracket pools, it should be at least how melee was last year with 4 people coming out, 2 in winners and 2 in losers. i would also like to point out that one of the other points of evo pools was to make it so the games could get proper stream privlages. I am pretty positive that 64 isnt getting the same privlidges

Sedda

Smash Champion
so i have a few issues with this:
1. we are going to have at max 1/3rd the people of melee/brawl, period. aka, we are going to have the fastest bracket by far. a cap of 128 means this tournament will run smoothly. last i checked, the main reason why evo rules were used for let's say melee was since there were 600 plus people there.
2. this game is faster.
3. this community is small, aka we have a small cconcentration of top level players. and a whole lot of semi-top players. There is no reason to limit a bracket with this many strong players.

if we are going to have bracket pools, it should be at least how melee was last year with 4 people coming out, 2 in winners and 2 in losers. i would also like to point out that one of the other points of evo pools was to make it so the games could get proper stream privlages. I am pretty positive that 64 isnt getting the same privlidges

4. Hyrule is banned.

If you're going to ban Hyrule, at least make it an opportunity to change other things as well.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
^ this.

ya'll wanna whine about the unplayability of hyrule and how it elongates matches, well, it's gone now, so why should we still be on the **** end of the stick?

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
This is no different than having one big bracket, so it's the same as last year. I thought you guys wanted pools?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
We did want pools. A big bracket split into mini brackets /= pools

It is just a "hey, let's just transform a giant bracket into smaller ones and make the TIO file look pretty and ****"

Nintendude

Smash Hero
it's still pools in the sense that you never play anyone outside of your pool until you advance. this isn't how it would work for losers bracket in a no pools format. I'm not the biggest fan of the evo format but this is the decision of apex staff. every game is getting this format. nothing is being changed.

on the plus side, I worked with staff to get our on-stage segment more on par with melee and brawl. theres a ton to look forward to at apex regardless of if you agree with the bracket format.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
it was originally going to be top-4 until I spoke up for you guys. we also have a much more favorable timeslot compared to last year.

also, 5-stock as sheersaltiness kindly pointed out

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I just want a public explanation from Apex staff explaining why "uniform" across all games is a desirable thing. I'm not sure how old I was when the "if not everyone can have it, then no one can have it" logic was acceptable, but I think it was elementary school

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Uniform across all games:
We have a cap in players
We have a guarantee'd pot fund that is 5 times less than melee/brawl
top 6 instead of top 8
no teams as a main game

as someone i know would say
riiiiight

The Star King

Smash Hero
Lol you ****in n00b

that was the worst 1000th post ever

i've already started thinking of thread ideas for my 1000th post

man you're such a scrub

i'm # 1

cobr is like #8 or # 9

lol

n00b
only tryhards care about special post numbers

I'm pretty sure my 1000th post was about paint drying or something

kys

Smash Ace
All of this Apex talk shows a severe lack of intelligence and common sense among Apex staff. That is all

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I just want a public explanation from Apex staff explaining why "uniform" across all games is a desirable thing.
it hasn't been before, and it still isn't.

shameless link to my statement concerning this for those people who haven't read it

like, i understand that we aren't going to get all the same benefits, but please don't pretend like we're getting special pieces of candy and hanging out with the big boys. especially when it seems like a lot of people are really disappointed with the format.

mike, i and other people are extremely appreciative of what you've done to help us with all this, so don't take it like an attack on you. but if this really does break last year's entrants number and it is the biggest NA tourney ever, and we get so many people from ooc and oos who come, and so many people who might be quitting afterward - i'd hate to see it be ruined for people by the way it's run.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Dudes Hyrule got banned, that is all that matters.

But seriously, some people are way too up in arms about the pools format. Who cares? The majority of tournament entrants are going to get knocked out after a handful of games regardless, which frees you up to play some sweet friendlies with some sweet people and watch some hype-ass matches featuring players from all over the world. That is what Apex is and should be about.

Top Bottom