• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

Olikus

Smash Champion
Ballins group S and A seems very accurate imo. Good sugestions. Really hope The seeding doesnt **** up too much.

:phone:

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
We seed based on judgment and prior tournament results, emphasizing tournament results when possible. Also, if somehow the community were able to provide like 20 setups we could feasibly do pools, but I'm assuming that we aren't getting that many so pools are not an option.
POOLs would be so much fun and everyone would play everyone. But as Kefit was saying I dont think we would have time to get them done by the end of Friday night that and we would need like 30 setups/30 tvs to even think of making something like that work also would have to start the event alot sooner then 3pm as its going to be really hard to be done by 2am with 80 players playing as it is.

step yo game up and check the "remember me" box!

First Seeding Attempt (thanks cobr_evolution for the big list of everyone registered):
(disclaimer: I made this list in a few minutes and it's certainly not meant to be a definitive list - just a starting point for any discussion)

Group S (considered top players):
1. Superboomfan (Canada)
2. Isai
3. JaimeHR (Mexico)
4. Kefit
5. Sensei
6. Banze (Brazil)
7. Kikoushi (Japan)
8. Ruoka Danchon (Japan)
9. Nangoku (Japan)

Group A (seen them win tournaments and/or they are long time online players):
10. YBOMBB (Canada)
11. Firo
12. Nintendude
13. Megavolt
14. Battlecow
15. Korobeniki
16. Shademoneh
17. Tank
18. Dark Link X

Group B (seen them play in tournament level matches):
19. Jel
20. KnitePhox
21. Han Solo
22. Chain Ace
23. KeroKeroppi
24. Jimmy Joe
25. Komotonoto
26. Rumbly
27. Eikelmann (Russia)
28. Wizzrobe
29. Infamous Diablo

Unranked (I didn't recognize these names at first glance and/or didn't feel like I had any info to seed on. They're not in any order):

30. Hammertime (Canada)
31. SA-in-NE (Canada)
32. TO Joe (Canada)
33. Bossman
34. Bred
35. Caeser
36. Cookie Monster
37. Hectohertz
38. I Love Smash
39. Jered
40. KMad64
41. Rami Jackson
42. Rayzor
43. Sonofabeast
44. Stranded
45. Tyrant
46. Pidgezero one (Canada)
47. Apple
48. Cobrevolution
49. Facecheekwall
50. Low tier or no Tier
51. Weedwack
52. Gunblade
53. Eggcelsior
54. Runtmc
55. Shaolinblunts
56. Triptych
57. Tearbear
58. Ballin4life
59. Madrush
60. Bladewise
61. Deanmoney540
62. Kenny
63. vvv Rapture
64. Gingtastic
65. Smashassassin
66. Sweet
67. Dice
68. Sandman
69. jeffboy
70. Oxolane
71. Don't Blink!
72. Veritas Aequitas
73. Myztek
74. Mizuki
75. Danconia
76. Cmu6eh
77. Ya Dad
This test seeding is really good. But you have your self to low on this. Thinking you should be up there with at lest me and KnitePhox.

WE HIT CAP!!! :) never mind New cap is 96. lol
We're starting at 3pm sharp and playing until top-4. Top-4 is being played out the stage Saturday morning. We need more setups if possible.
WOW on this. Lets really try to be done Friday night. Maybe start it at like 1230p sharp so we can get done Friday would be much better then getting up Saturday morning as some of us really dont wanna miss the top 4 play.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if I get top four again I'll get enough money to cover my meal expenses for all of apex. That would be rad.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
WOW on this. Lets really try to be done Friday night. Maybe start it at like 1230p sharp so we can get done Friday would be much better then getting up Saturday morning as some of us really dont wanna miss the top 4 play.
Top-4 is being delayed to Saturday to get us on stage / stream. What time are you and Kefit flying out?

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
We've gotta leave to head towards the airport around 3-4pm. We should be fine as long as more of the tournament doesn't get pushed to Friday.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
All but top-4 will be played out on Friday and it will conclude at a reasonable hour. I promise you that we will run on schedule as long as people follow through with the setups they said they would bring.

TANK64

Smash Lord
lol @ Kefit getting offended at "people doubting him." Chill out bro, it's not even like that. No one is doubting you, did you even read his post? lol

Wait, are you doubting the SheerMADNESS' skill??? Do you think you're on another level and shouldn't be compared?

Also, ILOVESMASH attending is still blowing my mind xD .

banze

Smash Journeyman
Guys, we'll be leaving Manhattan on friday early morning to NJ, taking the express train.

I beleive there is going to be enough time to get to the tournament way before it begins. But I just wanted you to know that if it is pushed to eraly we will be rushing.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
On second read, I think the Japanese players should be a bit higher but that's nitpicking.

Someone take all the online players I missed and put them in an appropriate spot plz?

@sk/aa I didn't want to seed myself just because it often gets kinda dumb when people rank themselves. Also I didn't want to make the list "who does ballin4life think he's better/worse than". I'm leaving that stuff to UNBIASED minds.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Guys, we'll be leaving Manhattan on friday early morning to NJ, taking the express train.

I beleive there is going to be enough time to get to the tournament way before it begins. But I just wanted you to know that if it is pushed to eraly we will be rushing.
banze, i assume you're taking the 9:01 a.m. from NYPenn to NB? arrival time of 9:44. that's a solid two and a half hour wait, and it only takes about ten minutes to get to the student center from the station. it's really not a far walk.

i would recommend taking the 10:07 and getting there at 11:03, that way there's less dead space for you to worry about. you can grab a bite to eat wherever you want (hansel n griddle has become my new favorite spot, or adversely, the new brunswick diner which is located across the street from the train station and has the best cheddar n mushroom burger i've ever had), sit down, relax for a bit, and then leave for the student center.

also, if anyone else needs a spot to say, my offer of couch still stands, though i suppose it's fruitless at this point.
also 2, weedwack, if you're hosting people on thursday i might come down and play. though my place has the lagless tv ;)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Man, I'm really excited about this, but as this is my first ever Smash 64 competition I can't wait to get curbstomped lol!

Really excited, though. Would rather put money in this prize pot than the Brawl one anyway. It'll be an enjoyable 0-2.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
step yo game up and check the "remember me" box!

First Seeding Attempt (thanks cobr_evolution for the big list of everyone registered):
(disclaimer: I made this list in a few minutes and it's certainly not meant to be a definitive list - just a starting point for any discussion)

Group A (seen them win tournaments and/or they are long time online players):
10. YBOMBB (Canada)
11. Firo
12. Nintendude
13. Megavolt
14. Battlecow
15. Korobeniki
16. Shademoneh
17. Tank
18. Dark Link X
Oh hah, and the ft that I am above 1 shade$ is amazing also. I'll be practicing in Flawidah so I might be somewhat good once I come to Apex

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If seedings are based purely on skill then last Apex results shouldn't be the deciding factor. You can't punish people just because they couldn't come to Apex last year.

Would you seed everyone who went to Apex last year above the Japanese and YBOMBB? No, that doesn't make any sense. What if Gerson were coming to Apex this year? Would you seed him behind Kefit, Sensei, Nintendude, etc?

Genesis 2 had like 20 people. IMO you can't really use those results.

Ballin you missed a bunch of people who are competent/competitive level smashers:

SA-in-NE - he plays online, pretty solid
I LOVE SMASH - plays online, pretty solid
Low tier or no tier - plays online, pretty solid
Ballin4life - doesn't really play online, but pretty solid =]
oxolane - Banze's buddy, pretty solid

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
also 2, weedwack, if you're hosting people on thursday i might come down and play. though my place has the lagless tv ;)
I have 2 crt setups right now, working on getting more. Would you be down to move yours to my place?

Anyone arriving on thursday can come by for friendlies, pm me for details. My place is on Easton Avenue, super close to the train station.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I have 2 crt setups right now, working on getting more. Would you be down to move yours to my place?
shmeeehhhh neither tv is mine to actually take. but if you got two that's legit enough. i thought it was gonna be on that flatscreen.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
seeding is seeding, can't do much about how accurate it is. I got screwed at least 4 places last year because of seeding, but you can't blame anyone for it. Its impossible to get it right because we don't have enough info.

Btw, having played both of them on console, I'd put kefit over sheer if we had to seed based on who's tougher to beat IMOOOOOOOOOOO. However, I'd put money on sheer beating kefit if they met in the tourney, because I don't think kefit knows how to play a good yoshi. And we all know how kefit performs when he doesn't know the matchup... (samus cp vs pika lol)

I guess for actual, NON-HYPOTHETICAL seeding, thoughts on ballings list:

-Top 13 are dead on, maybe not correct order, but the right people are in it (at least white pegs in mastermind).

-koro is not that high because he uses controller which isn't his primary. Maybe if he gets good with it like he said he's trying to lol. B tier most likely.

-Dark Link I'm not too familiar with... I thought dark link was meh though? Maybe its a different guy, but I thought he's like bottom B/unranked level.

-Shademoneh I have no idea.

-Nitpicking here but based on what we saw last year, jimmyjoe > kero

And 96 spots?!?!?! triple ****, brazil, the NA BOUSES, holy ****!!!!!!!! EU where you at bro?

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Top-4 is being delayed to Saturday to get us on stage / stream. What time are you and Kefit flying out?
All but top-4 will be played out on Friday and it will conclude at a reasonable hour. I promise you that we will run on schedule as long as people follow through with the setups they said they would bring.
We leave at 6:15pm thinking we will have to be at airport by 4:30pm just to be safe. Let everyone know what time to be there on saturday to see Top 4 play out so no one misses this!!!!! I think as long as it starts at 11am me and Kefit should not miss it.

If seedings are based purely on skill then last Apex results shouldn't be the deciding factor. You can't punish people just because they couldn't come to Apex last year.

Would you seed everyone who went to Apex last year above the Japanese and YBOMBB? No, that doesn't make any sense. What if Gerson were coming to Apex this year? Would you seed him behind Kefit, Sensei, Nintendude, etc?

Genesis 2 had like 20 people. IMO you can't really use those results.

Ballin you missed a bunch of people who are competent/competitive level smashers:

SA-in-NE - he plays online, pretty solid
I LOVE SMASH - plays online, pretty solid
Low tier or no tier - plays online, pretty solid
Ballin4life - doesn't really play online, but pretty solid =]
oxolane - Banze's buddy, pretty solid
Yeah seeding can mess things up bad. But in order to get a good seed you have to go to tournaments and win.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
-Dark Link I'm not too familiar with... I thought dark link was meh though? Maybe its a different guy, but I thought he's like bottom B/unranked level.
Dark link is good. He's a really old-school player, but was considered a top player and won tournaments back in the day. To put it in terms of the show "the Wire," his name used to ring out. Last time I played him was at Apex 2010, but he still had it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm not saying last years results can't factor in somewhat. I'm just saying they simply can't be the deciding factor.

One console tourney in which only a portion of the community showed up to is not enough to base seedings off of. At least half the entrants didn't attend last Apex, it's just not fair. If we had a console based community like melee it would work, but we don't. Were more online based.

The Japanese, YBOMBB, Banze, Tank, Ballin, etc should not automatically be seeded behind people just because they didn't go to Apex last year.

Oh and sorry If I made it sound like some Sheer vs Kefit argument. Didn't mean to, doesn't matter in the least since I'm not going. It was just an example.

Olikus

Smash Champion
100 percent agreeing with sheer. If the japanese players dont get good seeding its crazy.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, really a bunch of people are pretty solid. There are 5-6 people who I have no idea if they're better or worse than me, and since we've never even seen banze vids how can we rank him and oxolane remotely accurately? It's ridiculous to have a 96 man tourney in 6 hours or whatever. Alex strife has done a great deal for us and I'm very grateful to him , but if we ever want to run a serious tournament we'll need at least one round of pools, and that's just a fact. A melee tourney this size would have two and would last four times as long.

I wouldn't be surprised if that third Japanese player got top 8 , I wouldn't be surprised if he lost to our b tier. I don't know if keros delusional or if he's genuinely very good now. Neither can nintendude possibly know, but he has to rank them. Someone is almost certainly getting shafted.

Still looking forward to the tourney, it'll be freaking awesome.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Tourney is a side event even to most 64 players, though I know it will be awesomely fun and all, this whole community is about friendlies. Prove me wrong!

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I don't know if keros delusional or if he's genuinely very good now.

I don't know if this makes him good, but the combos I saw him doing in a recent tournament were better than a lot of material ive seen notable smashers post on youtube.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Dark Link is the reason me (and many others) started playing this game competitively. Definitely one of my main inspirations to take the game to the next level.

Even if he's rusty as hell, he's still a ****ing legend.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
I might go to this if I can find a cheap flight.

EDIT: Guess not. $400-1000 is too much. Even going Greyhound would be like $500+

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Hanging out with my friends and playing friendlies at this tournament is what I look at too also meeting new smash players is the best.

Again it would be so nice if we could do pools to get more games in with other players. As battlecow was saying Melee would have them with a event of this size.
And with some of the event being pushed in to Saturday as it is I think we may have more time just as long as we are done with everything by 4pm Saturday so me and Kefit dont have to miss anything for the tournament.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The tourney is definitely the side event. Friendlies are so much more fun (especially in 64) and all the awesome moments people share, getting to know other players, hanging out, talking about all sorts of stuff is by far the coolest part of an event like Apex. You should run the tournament as fast as possible and then enjoy those precious moments as long as you can.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If we can wrap up singles soon enough on Friday, who's down for having doubles on Friday as well? I'd be able to run it as long as it's on Friday. If it's on Saturday then somebody else has to probably. What do people care about more - USA vs. World 5v5 or a doubles tournament? The crew battle can always be pushed to Saturday anyway. It won't be on stage or anything so we can do it whenever we want.

Also, can people link me to any tournament results they are aware of besides Apex 2010, Apex 2012, Genesis 2, and Impulse?

btw we could also start doubles Friday and go until Brawl USA vs. World 10v10 is over (it starts at 10pm so it won't be done til at least 11:30), and then wrap it up Saturday either directly before or after singles top-4. I really want to be able to start doubles on Friday because last time, the tournament was very small because few people stuck around much longer after singles finished. It would be much easier to get a great doubles tournament going if we start it when everyone is there.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Both Kikoushi and Ruoka Danchon has done well in the yearly japan tournaments from 2009 until present. And its like 100-150 players each year so its very impressive.

Top Bottom