• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
crew battles would be fun.

Team captains should be Isai for West & Boom for East then they pick 5 or 6 players to battle it out for who is better West or East.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
last min ( no offense i didnt think world would come this deep for 64. ) but why not set it up

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
How's this?

World:

Banze
JaimeHR
Superboomfan
YBOMBB
Kikoushi
Ruoka Danchon
Nangoku
Oxolane

USA:

Sensei
Megavolt
Firo
Isai
Kefit
Nintendude
Battlecow
Ballin4life
Tank

Edit: I know they're not even. These are just the names that wouldn't surprise me on a 5v5. I feel like we could do a bigger one though.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
proper 5v5 would be like

4-stock DL-only, each person nominates one character at the beginning and sticks with it through that round, each round is round-robin

round-robin format would be like

USA 1 vs world 1
USA 1 vs world 2
USA 1 vs world 3
USA 1 vs world 4
USA 1 vs world 5

USA 2 vs world 1
USA 2 vs world 2
etc

captain/vanguard would throw RPS to decide which team has which formation etc

this way, even if isai is amazing, beating enough of the other players will result in the world winning

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Sheermadness, is finance the only reason you aren't going? I could house you for free, and I would throw 35 dollars towards your air fare.

ANYONE ELSE? I KNOW YOU ALL GOT CRIMBUS MONIES

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah it's money mainly.

Doesn't matter at this point the cap has been reached.

But that's very nice of you man, thnx anyway. Wouldn't feel right taking money from people I don't know either.

Alex should seriously consider lifting the cap again though. Why put a cap on the biggest ssb64 tourney in North American history?

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
Dont be a dingus. Think of it as a paid performance. If people are willing to sponsor you, its because they want to see a show.

Apex is going to one of the coolest things ever, you shouldn't call it quits so soon. Im sure you could buy someone's registration or find another way to squeeze in.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Okay, 64 just reached 80, so jerry you're sol =(

actually, f that, I extended the cap to 96.

gogogogogogog

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm assuming Chain-ace didn't just raise the cap to 96 without Alex's permission.

So we should thank Alex. And Chain-ace. =]

Nintendude

Smash Hero
We're starting at 3pm sharp and playing until top-4. Top-4 is being played out the stage Saturday morning. We need more setups if possible.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so it's done like:
make a list of all the known folk who play well and pit them against the lesser known/unknown folk whose abilities are questionable?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
We seed based on judgment and prior tournament results, emphasizing tournament results when possible. Also, if somehow the community were able to provide like 20 setups we could feasibly do pools, but I'm assuming that we aren't getting that many so pools are not an option.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Seeding based on console tourney results is very reliable in a community like ssb64 where.. there aren't any console tourneys lol.

But seeding based on judgement isn't exactly perfect either. Tough spot to be in.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
A hypothetical. If I were going who would you seed higher, me or Kefit?

Kefit placed well last Apex, really the only console tourney with solid competition we can base anything off of the past couple years.

I've never been to a big console tourney but I've consistently placed top3/4 in online tourneys (which arguably has tougher competition) since around 2008.

Nobody knows who's better since we've never played. Does one console tourney trump years of online tourneys with tougher comp just because it's console?

Hard to know what's right..

Double post. PWN BEST 100%

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
A hypothetical. If I were going who would you seed higher, me or Kefit?

Kefit placed well last Apex, really the only console tourney with solid competition we can base anything off of the past couple years.

I've never been to a big console tourney but I've consistently placed top3/4 in online tourneys (which arguably has tougher competition) since around 2008.

Nobody knows who's better since we've never played. Does one console tourney trump years of online tourneys with tougher comp just because it's console?

Hard to know what's right..

Double post. PWN BEST 100%
We played once a million years ago online, but four frames fake smash is very fake smash. So yeah I guess we've never played on console.

Seeding for this console tournament should be determined by results of the last couple of major console (read: not fake smash) tournaments (i.e. Genesis 2011 and Apex 2012). These contests consistently saw Boom/Isai/Jaime/me in first through fourth place in that order following extremely close matches between Boom and Isai and between me and Jaime. Yes, Genesis may not have had a ton of players, but the competition on the top end of it was undeniably fierce.

I'm not sure why people have been doubting me after these performances, but I guess it's just the hip thing to do. But you can't deny that I've earned a high seeding for the upcoming Apex.

Nintendude1189 said:
Also, if somehow the community were able to provide like 20 setups we could feasibly do pools, but I'm assuming that we aren't getting that many so pools are not an option.
Even then I still don't think pools would be feasible given the logistical issues behind the amount of time we have available and finding players + forcing them to actually play their matches. It's not like we can keep pushing more and more of the tournament to Saturday, since Jel and I and I'm sure others have to fly out on Saturday afternoon.

Regardless, I trust in your ability to seed things properly - it worked out pretty well last year. I think the trickiest part will be squeezing in the JP players. They're undeniably skilled with gobs of console results, but we have little if any idea how their competition would fare against our own top end. I'd probably stick them in after the top six from Apex 2012 (a pretty clear cut-off point for seeding I think), but that still has them competing for placement with really skilled players like megavolt. So I dunno. Don't screw up, Nintendude :D

ballin4life

Smash Hero
yoooooo LMAO!! xD

just had to log in to say that.
step yo game up and check the "remember me" box!

First Seeding Attempt (thanks cobr_evolution for the big list of everyone registered):
(disclaimer: I made this list in a few minutes and it's certainly not meant to be a definitive list - just a starting point for any discussion)

Group S (considered top players):
1. Superboomfan (Canada)
2. Isai
3. JaimeHR (Mexico)
4. Kefit
5. Sensei
6. Banze (Brazil)
7. Kikoushi (Japan)
8. Ruoka Danchon (Japan)
9. Nangoku (Japan)

Group A (seen them win tournaments and/or they are long time online players):
10. YBOMBB (Canada)
11. Firo
12. Nintendude
13. Megavolt
14. Battlecow
15. Korobeniki
16. Shademoneh
17. Tank
18. Dark Link X

Group B (seen them play in tournament level matches):
19. Jel
20. KnitePhox
21. Han Solo
22. Chain Ace
23. KeroKeroppi
24. Jimmy Joe
25. Komotonoto
26. Rumbly
27. Eikelmann (Russia)
28. Wizzrobe
29. Infamous Diablo

Unranked (I didn't recognize these names at first glance and/or didn't feel like I had any info to seed on. They're not in any order):

30. Hammertime (Canada)
31. SA-in-NE (Canada)
32. TO Joe (Canada)
33. Bossman
34. Bred
35. Caeser
36. Cookie Monster
37. Hectohertz
38. I Love Smash
39. Jered
40. KMad64
41. Rami Jackson
42. Rayzor
43. Sonofabeast
44. Stranded
45. Tyrant
46. Pidgezero one (Canada)
47. Apple
48. Cobrevolution
49. Facecheekwall
50. Low tier or no Tier
51. Weedwack
52. Gunblade
53. Eggcelsior
54. Runtmc
55. Shaolinblunts
56. Triptych
57. Tearbear
58. Ballin4life
59. Madrush
60. Bladewise
61. Deanmoney540
62. Kenny
63. vvv Rapture
64. Gingtastic
65. Smashassassin
66. Sweet
67. Dice
68. Sandman
69. jeffboy
70. Oxolane
71. Don't Blink!
72. Veritas Aequitas
73. Myztek
74. Mizuki
75. Danconia
76. Cmu6eh
77. Ya Dad

firo

Smash Ace
The final results of the tournament of course are going to depend on the seeding, and I'm sure not everyone is going to be happy with how it is done. But whatever. If you want a game where there is a big community with tons of tournaments and rankings and pools then there are other games to play.

Interpreting these tournament results as anything more than just the results of a particular tournament with particular seeding with matches against particular players is foolish. As long as people understand that, then I don't think it is a big deal. This one tournament should not be and is not a way to rank players if people care about that sort of thing. It's too bad that there is so much money on the line, though. I don't care about this, but if I was looking for cash it is a shame that people's placements are going to depend on how they are seeded.

Also ballin, there are some online players that are pretty experienced (I love smash, low-tier-or-no-tier) that maybe should not be thrown randomly into the mix. But then again, there's really no way to judge.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Also ballin, there are some online players that are pretty experienced (I love smash, low-tier-or-no-tier) that maybe should not be thrown randomly into the mix. But then again, there's really no way to judge.
I am not familiar with them (though low-tier-or-no-tier sounds familiar now that you say it). Anyway, it was just a starting point for discussion.

The Star King

Smash Hero
ballin don't know about dat fake smash. I would put low-tier-or-no-tier/I LOVE SMASH/weedwack/cmu6eh/Myztek/ballin4life(lol wtf are you doing putting yourself in unranked) in at least B. If your only qualifier is "seen them play in tournament level matches".

Oxolane is OOC so he has to be good to come for this am i rite... IDK how to handle the foreigners

I recognize some names from Melee/Brawl too but yeah

Make the bracket in advance so I can totally post 100% accurate predictions this time :cool:

The Star King

Smash Hero
He doesn't even need an ego to put himself in B, if all it says it "seen them play in tournament level matches".

Top Bottom