• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2012 SSB64 Event

Battlecow

Play to Win
As much as I would like pools for a SSB64 tourney of this caliber I will not be running pools unless there is actually time set aside for it. Seeing as there's so much being packed into 3 days I don't think that it is unreasonable to not have pools. I think that we can do a very good job of seeding the bracket though. We'll try our absolute best to accurately separate out skill level / region.
It's a biiiiiig tourney, and pools would mean a lot... but on the other hand I'm sure you'll do a good job with the seeding.

LMFAO. good joke.
Just out of curiosity, how do you manage to fit that many ****s in your mouth at once? Seriously, the sheer volume of semen you must ingest on an hourly basis renders me speechless, while the fact that you can manage to type while ingesting it is nothing short of miraculous.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
seems being a good troll is a requirement for the unity ruleset committee

nobody takes 64 seriously, even when the relative skill of their players soars above the relative skill of melee, brawl or anything players

Battlecow

Play to Win
I guess if the FG tourneys have a hundred peeps or whatever, it's not unreasonable to give them priority over us for finals sunday...

even if it is a smash tourney...

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Woah batttlecow going off. cool beans.
yo asianaussie, i dont know why your in america, but out of curiosity why didnt you leave aussie land a few weeks later so you could go to apex?

if your on some sort of school trip or something, disregard what i just said.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i dunno why your asking but your sadly incorrect, though your close sorta

visiting relatives, plus parents dont know i smash LOL

k im being mean, sorry

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I talked to Strife to sort out some issues and I'm happy to announce that we will most definitely be running an unofficial 2v2 tournament. The tentative time is on Sunday at 11am and we're thinking a $5 entry fee per person. If you will definitely be entering AND know who you are teaming with, please send me a PM to sign up. Money and last minute signups will be taken during the 1v1 bracket.

Also, if there's any scheduling conflicts I overlooked (or if most of you won't be at the venue on Sunday) please let me know ASAP so I can find a better time. As of now the only thing this conflicts with is SSF4 top-8.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
LMFAO. good joke.
Oh DM, Smashboards needs more people like this guy

not kidding lolol

Also, are ther egoing to be any extra controllers for smash 64. I will need a controller as MattNF still has my old ones from years go

LLDL

Smash Hero
Hamburglar has a box of 25 spare controllers and a few Hori pads I beleive.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Hamburglar says 3 consoles, 2 cartridges, 2 TVs, and at least 12 controllers. He'll probably be hesitant to lend out the really good controllers though.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
idc. I just need a controller that is usable.

I am bad at using a controller so I am probably going to be taken out in 2 rounds albeit getting a bye or facing someone who is bad also (might as well go Kirby then LOL)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Koro you can't be that bad with a controller lol. Even if you're exclusively keyboard.

Battlecow

Play to Win
you can be pretty bad lol

Who's commentating the finals and stuff? Get someone good, make use of that superfly setup that the lovable and gracious A-Strife is loaning us.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
If there's a mic I'm like to have high quality, informative commentary, though I'm not sure how realistic that is. If there's no quality commentators out there then I'd rather have no commentary at all.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Just have Boom/Isai or maybe even s2j commentate. Or maybe Nintendude himself? I'd like commentary tbqh.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah my recording setup definitely has a splitter and studio mic, so commentary is not an issue, it's just the commentators. I like clear, crisp, strong voice and knowledge on the game no offense to people that will want to, but certain people just shouldn't be talkin LOL.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ok, what do people want?

'ooh, committing with that f-air was a bit of a mistake, kirby's u-tilt beats it cleanly', or people screaming incoherently?

i want the latter tbh

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I guess if the FG tourneys have a hundred peeps or whatever, it's not unreasonable to give them priority over us for finals sunday...

even if it is a smash tourney...
This is not a Smash Tourney. This is a multi-platform major. The longer you add meaningless titles, the longer Smash and Fight Games in general will be put on the back burner. It's important to grow as a culture, and not sub genres that are only held dear by people who feel out of place in crowds.

/anger.

With that said, it's important to note that we're going to get roughly 10-12 thousand people concurrently watching the stream for said events. Hyping Smash64 would lose us close to that number. While people may enjoy playing it, the viewer fan base is so minisclue, that it's hardly even worth mentioning. the game pushes into it's teenage years, with graphics that are hardly watchable by today's standards. The idea that this would be streamed on the main stage period is something that shouldn't even be suggested, LET ALONE OVER TWO OF THE MOST POPULAR GAMES IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

This kind of ignorance is hurting Smash as a community, and it's very much the same mentality random Brawl players have about Melee being too hard, and the Melee elitists who don't like Brawl because there is a lack of combos. All games competitively have value, and should be explored; however, when it comes to streaming, there is a priority of popularity that must be addressed.
Being good at the game isn't enough to be a good commentator. I suck at commentating.
This is truth. Not you sucking at commentating, I haven't heard you, just the former.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i sort of agree with what brandon is saying, but this isn't the best place to be talking unwelcome truths about this game

i still think putting the 64 grand finals on the main stage wouldn't be a bad idea, it'll win nostalgia points and a lot of active melee and brawl players dabble in it anyway

also, isai (who will almost certainly get into grand finals) is idolised in the melee world as well, so there's some hype for you

dmbrandon

Smash Master
i still think putting the 64 grand finals on the main stage wouldn't be a bad idea, it'll win nostalgia points and a lot of active melee and brawl players dabble in it anyway
I don't see the benefit of having people care more about 64. :\

LLDL

Smash Hero
Whether it's streamed or not, I don't care, not even top 8. Just at least possibly having the finals played on a stage where the venue crowd can watch would suffice.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Is Apex gonna be getting revenue from the livestream? That's the only reason I can think of right now that would cause this decision. If not, 64 needs more respect. There's absolutely no reason to not to show 64 in the big screen. Also, don't pull the old "graphics aren't good" card because there's people that still play Street Fighter II and the graphics don't mean crap when it comes to its competitive value.

LMFAO. good joke.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Is Apex gonna be getting revenue from the livestream? That's the only reason I can think of right now that would cause this decision. If not, 64 needs more respect. There's absolutely no reason to not to show 64 in the big screen. Also, don't pull the old "graphics aren't good" card because there's people that still play Street Fighter II and the graphics don't mean crap when it comes to its competitive value.
Of course the streamers are. And regardless, SF2 (Rather, SSF2THDR) is still played at top level, and people travel world wide to play it. Smash64, on the other hand, is barely played by the people who cared. HDR was also remade with HD sprites, rebalancing, and is supported by its parent company. So technically, it's a decade newer than 64 at this point. Bad example.

And Graphics DO mean crap. If they didn't and old metagames were viable, we'd all be playing SC1 and Halo 2.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
of course you don't, you don't play the game and have no actual interest in it

it's a great game and the reason you would expose it is so non-believers would give it a chance rather than writing it off for ridiculous reasons like graphics and age

surely people won't rise up in protest if nothing else exciting is happening and the 64 grand finals get 20 minutes of airtime (though i somewhat doubt this will occur) - the game is quite colourful and there's a punishment factor that easily matches mvc3 (dunno bout ultimate)

older games go out of circulation for accessibility and popularity reasons, not because of graphics >_>

dmbrandon

Smash Master
And there is plenty of reason not to show it.

1. It hasn't capped yet, and AllBrawl has. All Brawl has 15 more entrants as well. We're not showing AllBrawl, because despite its popularity (Though slim), the world doesn't care.
  2. The game itself is old, and unbalanced. The stream during SCR blew up Blazblue, a game that is still played competitively by thousands around the world for thousands of dollars. You expect people react well to a game like 64?
  3. A great portion of the players there have no interest in Smash as a whole, let alone the least interesting, and least popular entry in the series.
  4. Even the majority of Melee/Brawl players hate 64. Some play it for fun, but how many players would want to watch it.

The list carries on. It's a dead game. >_> We would gather more interest for Minus.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, MIIIIIIIINUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
And there is plenty of reason not to show it.

1. It hasn't capped yet, and AllBrawl has. All Brawl has 15 more entrants as well. We're not showing AllBrawl, because despite its popularity (Though slim), the world doesn't care.
  2. The game itself is old, and unbalanced. The stream during SCR blew up Blazblue, a game that is still played competitively by thousands around the world for thousands of dollars. You expect people react well to a game like 64?
  3. A great portion of the players there have no interest in Smash as a whole, let alone the least interesting, and least popular entry in the series.
  4. Even the majority of Melee/Brawl players hate 64. Some play it for fun, but how many players would want to watch it.

The list carries on. It's a dead game. >_> We would gather more interest for Minus.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, MIIIIIIIINUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jesus ****ing christ. You're really ignorant and uninformed. Comparing the original Smash game with a Brawl mod. Are you serious? Whatever. It's not a Smash tournament like you said. So it doesn't matter.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
lol what smash 64 is unbalanced? in what way? the characters in this game are more balanced than melee and brawl.

also, prove that the majority of melee and brawl players hate 64. most of the brawl and melee players i know enjoy it and are willing to play friendlies.

Top Bottom