• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[*Apex 2012*] - 10 Years Later -Chillindude829 and Azen Zagenite

Hadster

Smash Cadet
*NEW* - 1/1/12
Apex 2012 Hype Video – Chillindude829 & Azen Zagenite

****************************************************************************************

Previously

Pre-Apex 2012

Chillin :foxmelee: vs Azen :marthmelee:

20/12/11

17/12/11

****************************************************************************************

Very previously

Pre-Rom 4

Chillin :falcomelee: vs Azen :falcomelee:

11/15/11

Chillin :sheikmelee: vs Azen :foxmelee:

25/08/11

Chillin :foxmelee: vs Azen :falcomelee:

25/08/11

Chillin :falcomelee: vs Azen :foxmelee:

24/08/11

Chillin :foxmelee: vs Azen :foxmelee:

23/08/11

Chillin :falcomelee: vs Azen :falcomelee:

22/12/11

22/08/11

From here on up, the quality is much better as they finally decided to get a video card

Extremely previously (sorry but pretty much a different meta-game)

Episode 2: Tournament Mode :to:
26 April 2012

Top tier characters

With commentary

Episode 1: Melee Iron Man :074:

5 characters each

With commentary

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also:

Azen (Marth) vs Chillin (Fox)
First to 5 set w/ player commentary

Max?

Smash Champion
Such a good idea. The melee community needs to start releasing more content like this, it's something I notice Marvel/SF communities doing and it's so amazing and interesting to watch.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Such a good idea. The melee community needs to start releasing more content like this, it's something I notice Marvel/SF communities doing and it's so amazing and interesting to watch.
the concept has been going around smashboards for the past few weeks but we've needed some solid heads to get it going. chillin&azen are perfect for this, i'm hoping others jump in on it.

LLDL

Smash Hero
I've never done an iron man before but this got me interested.

Acryte

Smash Ace
enjoyin it, can't wait for the next one. You guys have great commentary as well.

Max?

Smash Champion
So awesome. Happy to hear the Chillin and Azen want to make a comeback.

This could totally be the Smash equivalent of The Marvelous Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross.
Exactly. I get so much from watching vids like that as a complete scrub in MvC3. That kind of perspective in Melee vids especially from two high level players such as yourselves could really do some good for the community. Keep it up

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ironically enough, it's hard for me to watch Azen and not immediately want to be like omg he's ridiculous...i'm still kinda blinded by my noob years loving his marth hha...after watching these vids, he's got to catch up with the metagame, but his core playstyle is still amazing, and def good enough to the point where if he wanted, he'd be placing top 5

chillin's tech skill is way better than i would have ever given him credit for too, good **** chillin keep it up

and also, i'd be interested in more of these little recordings too from other players, specifically fox players to see the difference between their max tech skill, which usually comes out in friendlies, and how they play in tournament.

sometimes it's hard for me to get out of state, so i don't have the advantage of being able to compare my tech skill to other people, since all i have is tourney vids...i mean, tourney's all that matters to me, but at least if i can see other ppl in friendlies i know their friendly/tourney tech skill gap and that would possibly put my mind at ease a bit about my tech skill haha

but really, really glad to see old school making a comeback. i knew you guys had heart after all :-P

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
This is amazing...

Definitely subscribed =D Really look forward to episode 2!

Zoler

Smash Ace
It would be so sweet to see you guys tear up brackets ^^ I hope you make it

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
I lovvvved Episode Two!!! :)

Damn Chillin your tech skill is actually visibly progressing after every vid man, that red fox in the last video was technical like hell.

Keep them coming pleeeeeeease :) I really look forward to watching these at the end of my week :)

Hadster

Smash Cadet
Ten Years Later - Rapex 2012

Part ??? – The Edge of Greatness – 5-12-11

Ten years ago on this date, I awakened one December morning to a surprise. My brother, who I shared a room with, was lying in his bed with a game in his hand. I asked him excitedly what game he had, sitting up with eagerness. He slowly turned the game toward me and my anticipation exploded – it was Super Smash Bros. Melee. Ever since the game’s announcement, we’d been looking forward to its release, and it was finally here.

In the ten years since, this game has had more influence on my life than I’d ever thought possible. I’ve met people from all over the country and even the world, and I’ve traveled places I never would’ve gone otherwise. I’ve experienced all kinds of feelings and emotions because of this game, and it’s impossible that I’d ever forget the effect Melee has had on my life; certain memories both inside the game and out I'm certain will remain with me forever.

However, despite these unforgettable experiences, there remains only one reason I continue to play this game: competition. While I’ve gained likely lifelong friends through it, I would not still be attending tournaments to this day unless I felt the need to prove myself.

Throughout my Melee career, I’ve consistently placed in the top 16 of tournaments. I’ve never been considered a bad player, and I’ve never had to prove that I was a worthy opponent. There were several years where I’d be ranked among the top 10 players in the country.

In teams play, I achieved the highest level of success, knocking off Ken and Isai for the first time ever. Azen and I began our own dominant stretch, culminating with Super Champ Combo where we still came out on top despite Melee’s swing from old school to new school players like Mango and Lucky. I proved myself to be a top teams player, and even after the hiatus caused by Brawl’s release, I came back to place top 4 at RoM3 in November 2010 with Tope. I showed that I could still play teams at the highest level, even without Azen as my teammate.

I’ve always felt I’ve underachieved in singles. While I have tournament victories over almost every significant top name from 2003-07, when it came to major tournaments, I fell short of expectations in singles almost every time. My best placements were 5th at GO obviously, as well as 4th at GS2; while they were majors, I had the hometown advantage since they were in MD/VA. I only performed well out of state at a couple of MLGs, getting top 8 at Chicago and Orlando in 2006, but I still didn’t beat any top-tier players – only players I was expected to beat.

When the National Power Rankings started (by me no less), I started off ranked 7th and throughout their existence I never dipped lower than 9th, but also never rose higher than 6th. I was so close to being among the top five, like my crewmates Azen and Chu Dat, but I couldn’t quite pull it off.

Upon my return to Melee in early 2010, I had only one goal in mind: prove I could perform at the highest level not only in teams, but singles as well. Of course, the metagame has advanced at a faster rate than ever before, and it took me months to regain my tech skill, let alone perform in tourney. But after disappointments at Apex 2010 and RoM3 in singles, I finally played to the level I knew I was capable of at Zenith.

I placed top 5 in a major for the first time in several years, and were it not for a boneheaded SD, I would’ve 2-0d the best Fox main in the country, Jman, in a ditto. I also took a game off M2K’s Marth, and while I lost the set, I could at least feel good about my performance in the tourney, and it gave me confidence for future majors.

Revival of Melee 4, last month in New York, was a huge step backward. I didn’t feel the motivation going into the weekend, and I could tell going in I wasn’t playing to my full potential. I doubted myself before I even had the chance to perform, and I was doomed to underperform at a major yet again.

Now, with Apex 2012 on the horizon, my Melee career faces its twilight. I’m resuming full time school next semester, while still working full time, meaning my Melee time will be extremely limited and it’s doubtful whether I could attend any major events. Apex may be my last chance to prove myself, and at the moment it’s unclear whether I’ll be able to take off work for the event.

I've never once doubted my ability. I've never even considered the possibility that I lack the talent to be among the top echelon of players, because ten years of playing this game have shown otherwise. I simply underachieve far too often, and let tournament pressure have too great an effect on my gameplay.

For ten years I’ve been on the edge of greatness. For ten years I’ve come up just short of glory, emerging victorious at the highest level of competition. I have one chance left… can I take it?

FoxoF

Smash Cadet
How on earth did I miss this...

I think we all know what your opinion on the chillin - leffen hype will be

Top Bottom