• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX 2010 - Event Done | Partial Results up Side events will be posted ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pockyD

Smash Legend
genesis 2 will likely be around this time and will also likely be melee only

the whole barlw+melee at the same time gimmick is really wearing thin

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I am glad another genesis is happening but I feel that they should respect me as well and tell me what date they are using so that both our turnouts can be amazing.

Bottom line I do not do Brawl and melee as a gimmick or a way to pay the venue but rather a love for both the games. The problem is that people do not seem to understand is that both games should co-exist and get equal treatment.

So bottom line pocky if you really respect me and what I do then have DBR contact me or provide me with their contact cause to be honest this week I establish a date and I would like to have both of these tournaments happen. Enough complaining or I just snap my fingers and turn it off for everyone.

pockyD

Smash Legend
who's complaining? i probably wasn't going to this anyway...

i was just informing the public of melee players who are, like me, sick of barlw players taking up time and setups that could be spent playing melee

barlw players would win too if they were free of the melee crowd... wasn't the entire barlw community pretty unsatisfied with the way pound4 unfolded for them time-wise?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Not really tbh but how are we taking up time and set ups if we are one community. Neither game should be seen as wasteful unless you guys are just *****.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
who's complaining? i probably wasn't going to this anyway...

i was just informing the public of melee players who are, like me, sick of barlw players taking up time and setups that could be spent playing melee

barlw players would win too if they were free of the melee crowd... wasn't the entire barlw community pretty unsatisfied with the way pound4 unfolded for them time-wise?

Again I said that both communities would work well with the right conditions. Brawl players I can handle easily and Melee as well. It was an issue that the venue itself caused. I have already worked things out in that regard and plan to do a few things differently. Why? cause I know it can be done properly.

I am telling you simply that telling me genesis will happen around this time will not help so instead of telling people this why not assist me so I Can figure out what DBR is doing and easily move my tournament up or down.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
>_>

Apex 2 will be amazing. There's no need to play down the ideas involved, especially if you had no interest in coming :(

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
two livestreams would probably solve a huge part of the problem. One for melee one for Brawl. As well giving Brawl more time to get done despite number of attendants would help. At Pound I saw 5 melee matches get done in the time it took for one Brawl match to finish (not the set, the match!). Brawl players resort to timing out when in tight spots unfortunately. I have nothing against the game but really it takes forever to finish because people give up good technical strategic gameplay to win by pressing B the most from one edge to the other. That's not fun for anyone.

:link:

pockyD

Smash Legend
Keep in mind Pocky that people do play both games as well...

a lot of people play both smash and street fighter too (and while there are tournaments that have both of those, typically one of them is CLEARLY a side event)

same with basketball or chess

the presence of a little bit of overlap does NOT mean they should coexist at the same location

Not really tbh but how are we taking up time and set ups if we are one community. Neither game should be seen as wasteful unless you guys are just *****.
We are NOT one community. Why don't you show me what percentage of players entered both barlw and melee singles at pound?

I'm pretty unwilling to do the math but I'm guessing in the neighborhood of 10%, possibly less

I don't know how it is on the EC or anywhere else, but I know that at our biweeklies, melee players typically brought ~10-12 TVs while barlw players brought maybe one or two... then melee players were forced to share the TVs... and the exact same thing happened at a significantly larger scale at genesis (I believe the barlw community, with 290+ entrants, brought a grand total of THREE televisions)

the barlw community simply has very little to offer the melee community, while the melee community seems to be stuck propping up the barlw community around here

now i'm sure it's actually the exact opposite in some other locations and in some very lucky places, a nice balance does actually show through, but the point is that the communities are NOT one and the same, and more often than not, one side feels like they got shafted

Again I said that both communities would work well with the right conditions. Brawl players I can handle easily and Melee as well. It was an issue that the venue itself caused. I have already worked things out in that regard and plan to do a few things differently. Why? cause I know it can be done properly.

I am telling you simply that telling me genesis will happen around this time will not help so instead of telling people this why not assist me so I Can figure out what DBR is doing and easily move my tournament up or down.
i don't know when genesis will be or anything, i'm really here to just preach against the combined barlw/melee thing, especially in the aftermath of the dissatisfaction at pound ... and letting melee players who might feel the same way know that there could be an alternative

if you want to talk to DBR, i'm sure you can find their contact information via their smashboards profiles, or you can pm them - i don't feel comfortable giving out other peoples' contact information

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
extactly. I have already figured it out and I can get it done easily.

i don't know when genesis will be or anything, i'm really here to just preach against the combined barlw/melee thing, especially in the aftermath of the dissatisfaction at pound ... and letting melee players who might feel the same way know that there could be an alternative

if you want to talk to DBR, i'm sure you can find their contact information via their smashboards profiles, or you can pm them - i don't feel comfortable giving out other peoples' contact information
Is it me or is it that you are just trying to be a problem instead of a solution lol. Seriously dude I have made it work where others have failed. BEFORE APEX everyone said a brawl tournament could not finish. BEFORE AEPX people did not believe m2k could be beaten and I have done many things that TOs have not even come close to. I know what I am doing. If you want to sit here and troll and be useless that is fine. As for me I have things to do so do not waste time in a thread/tournament you do not have any plans to attend.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I feel like both the melee and brawl players on the EC are very helpful in bringing set ups. We always have so many extras at Viridian City because so many people bring set ups. I remember the first Apex everyone was awesome in that respect as well.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't know why you assume i'm trolling

i also don't know why you're trying to somehow take credit for m2k losing LOL

just because barlw + melee CAN work together doesn't mean that they should... are you saying that under your watch, both tournaments would run better over the course of 3 days than if they each had 2-day tournaments of their own? it almost feels like barlw+melee events exist simply for the sake of m2k :laugh:

also, WC melee brought like 30 to pound; we travel plenty

Alex Strife

Smash Hero

just because barlw + melee CAN work together doesn't mean that they should... are you saying that under your watch, both tournaments would run better over the course of 3 days than if they each had 2-day tournaments of their own?

Yes I am saying I can make it work. I have before and I Will again.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration

just because barlw + melee CAN work together doesn't mean that they should... are you saying that under your watch, both tournaments would run better over the course of 3 days than if they each had 2-day tournaments of their own? it almost feels like barlw+melee events exist simply for the sake of m2k :laugh:

also, WC melee brought like 30 to pound; we travel plenty
wc is mostly the 30 same people all the time. We have more people travelling than you. Brawl and Melee work well. No community is better, they both tend to suck a day or another.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
As well the brawl community is still very young despite popular belief. And I mean both the players and the community itself. They don't know yet what it means to bring setups till one day a brawl only tourney will get so hyped but will only have ten TVs to play on. After that they will start learning (sorry to that TO).

And I hate to say this but saying we shouldn't be one community is like me going around saying all Asians or Blacks should leave America because we can't coexist.

Tell me how what you're saying is any different?

One more note, not all melee players hate watching brawl. Even if we do we can still be adults and cheer on our friends who happen to prefer that game over melee. At the end of Pound me, Zhu, Xelic, my brother, plus many more melee players were sitting there watching M2K in BRAWL GFs and cheering him on as best we could. I walked over in between matches at Pound and cheered for Dekar, Darkshifter, and Arms because they're my friends. And I'd like to do that at Apex as well.

pockyD

Smash Legend
well if WC doesn't travel and everyone else does, doesn't it make more sense to host the big tournaments on the WC? :laugh:

anyway like i said, this isn't a regional thing... this isn't even a barlw vs. melee thing...

it's a barlw+melee vs. barlw vs. melee thing

sometimes things are just better when you don't try to do so many things at once

it's not that we SHOULDN'T be one community; it's that we already largely aren't

if someone runs the numbers on the number of people that entered both games at pound and it's more than 70 (20% of melee entrants), i'll not only drop the argument right away, I'll commit to coming to apex and bringing others with me, provided it's not the exact same date as genesis 2

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
You are right sometimes it is not a good idea to do so many things at once. Yet when I say I can do something I always do it and as I remember no one complained about Apex.

Here is what I am bringing to apex as a preview

-armada and the euros are coming to this
-japan brawl players
- 200-250 brawl players plus 200 melee players
- lots of setups ( something I think only I can ever provide )
- multiple streams
and a lot more

look pocky I understand your reasoning and its fine but I 100% believe I can do this. IT is not anything I have not done when I hosted fighting game tournaments and it can be done....PERIOD

strawhats

Smash Master
When is Genesis 2...tHIS TOURNEY LOOKS LIKE ****ING HYPE...i MAY BE ABLE TO GO TO THIS

Armada and company = too good

pockyD

Smash Legend
once again, the question isn't really whether you can pull off a 3-day melee + barlw tournament

it's whether said event would be any significantly better than a 2-day melee tournament and a 2-day barlw tournament or something like that

@ twin - i love to cheer on people in barlw (although watching ally camp havok to death was heartbreaking), but I mean, I'd love to cheer on my friends if they're playing in a basketball game or something too... it doesn't mean we should be running a basketball tournament alongside our smash tournaments

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Pocky if you do not agree with my method than the simple solution is to let it go.

I believe that I can provide a great experience for both communities. I always have and I always will go out of my way to always provide that. That is why I run the fastest tournaments...that way we can finish and do crews something that very few tournaments cept for Pound and Apex have done recently.

I thank you for being honest it helps a lot but at this point take it to aim with me or just stop posting. I have more important things to deal with than this.

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's not for your benefit; it's for the benefit of those who happen to agree with me, don't live on the EC or WC, are looking for a melee major to attend, and can't afford to go to both around that time

i'm not really trying to convince you to drop it; it's pretty clear that you won't budge from that. i'm just sharing that i think the one-game tournament will provide a much better experience if you'd only be at the other tournament for the one game anyway

i'll stop replying if people stop rehashing the same points i already made

and once again, i'll go to apex myself if someone can prove that there were 70+ people or so that entered both games at pound

i'm quiet irl because NOBODY wants to argue about this **** in a serious environment, including myself. hopefully you notice i never call out individuals on smashboards or anything either, and so likewise, i never do it irl either

i post a lot because i have a lot of downtime at work and i love inane arguments. when it comes to having the same arguments irl, i'm way down for it if i know i can trust the other person to be rational and not-too-serious and ESPECIALLY to not get mad; unfortunately, those types of people are so few and far between that i typically try to avoid getting into it

also i have no idea who you are; did you try to talk to me and i gave you the silent treatment or something?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Uh, so Apex last year was fun. Honestly, here's the deal with Brawl and Melee tournies...

There's lot's of tournaments per month, sometimes they can get rather large (I'm strictly speaking EC because it's what I know best), maybe 100 or 150 entrants. That's really fun and awesome, and who doesn't love that? (eg: Rom2 for Melee and Viridian for Brawl). These are specific tournies aimed at getting a large audience to attend for one game alone and sometimes travel from over the US to go.

I feel like there's nothing wrong or gimmicky about Melee/Brawl tournies because it brings an even larger amount of people together...oddly enough it attracts a lot of hype more than a singular game. Genesis was a HUGE Melee tourny but it had Brawl attached to it. Pound 4, same deal...and believe it or not I've seen tons of Brawl heads coming over to watch the Melee matches, where most of these kids wouldn't have really come to Pound 4 just for a game they only casually play, or rather...play competitvely to some extent.

I'm not saying these are the reasons we should cater to the game. But to know that both games are attracting these large numbers are once is really positive. No matter how much you hate the other game, we're still apart of the "Smash" community, much like tournaments dedicated to fighters (not just one game) or anime conventions (which have all sorts of things going on, including gaming). It shows, that the community can be professional as well and can handle both these games well, as well as side tournies (like smash 64, or Brawl+).

I feel like having the two games together in today's community kinda gives way for people to enjoy both games, even if most may not even like the game. Now...would Pound 4 have gotten those numbers as a stand alone Melee tourny? Who knows...I wouldn't doubt it. But these are all learning experiences, and generally I'm sure everyone tries to enjoy themselves. I always considered Brawl/Melee tournies to be kinda like conventions anyway xD just a cool idea. And I feel like no matter how little the percentage is, those who go for one game do wind up entering the other game and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

And honestly, it sucks but if you're not into the idea you shouldn't be forced to go. But the numbers so far have been pretty large vs. standalone tournies for one game (I could be wrong though?).

TL;DR yup.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
it's not for your benefit; it's for the benefit of those who happen to agree with me, don't live on the EC or WC, are looking for a melee major to attend, and can't afford to go to both around that time
this is kinda pointless to say in other threads. IT really sounds like you do not want people to attend this rather than anything else. IF you are trying to do that please do not waste time posting in this and find a thread that is more suited for you.

pocky I understand what you are saying and I have my own brawl and melee only tournaments and really those do well I do both for Apex cause I love both games and I love to watch each community.

I'll just get a lot of people to go to this as I always do and make it a great experience.

pockyD

Smash Legend
this is kinda pointless to say in other threads. IT really sounds like you do not want people to attend this rather than anything else. IF you are trying to do that please do not waste time posting in this and find a thread that is more suited for you.

pocky I understand what you are saying and I have my own brawl and melee only tournaments and really those do well I do both for Apex cause I love both games and I love to watch each community.
my first post in here (recently) was just a tiny comment saying exactly what i meant, with no fuss about it

everything else i've said has been a response to people challenging what i said; if you guys didn't want to raise a ruckus, you didn't have to

i'm done now, good luck with your tournament, and seriously, if you can prove that both communities are that great together, i'd love to go to apex personally - i just don't see it here (maybe because the norcal barlw community blows or something, seeing as zero norcal barlw went to genesis)

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
norcal always blows dude.

No it was not a problem to me I found it good I just felt like this would be better between me and you. I want to help everyone understand that you can have all of these events and have a great time.

If you want to respond to others please do just if you have something to say more to me please im me. You have my aim.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
once again, the question isn't really whether you can pull off a 3-day melee + barlw tournament

it's whether said event would be any significantly better than a 2-day melee tournament and a 2-day barlw tournament or something like that

@ twin - i love to cheer on people in barlw (although watching ally camp havok to death was heartbreaking), but I mean, I'd love to cheer on my friends if they're playing in a basketball game or something too... it doesn't mean we should be running a basketball tournament alongside our smash tournaments
Larry didnt hesitate to camp me at Activetogamers, selfish LOL

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Well I can pretty much already confirm my attendance and a set up. This time I'm going all Melee, though.

Make it on August 7th so I can have an epic birthday, haha.

*CT*

Smash Lord
Subscribed, I forgot to look for you this weekend at Pound 4 Alex Strife, guess I'll have to meet you in a few months >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom