• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
But his vague leaks just end up sounding more like guessing, so far the only "left- field" choice has been WFT and all the other confirmed characters are safe bets anyway, the leak isn't real until Chorus Men get confirmed. I stand by its just a guy guessing, I mean its not that hard to guess they would be called Mii Fighters honestly.
This logic may have flown a year ago, but now, when not only did they guess "Mii Fighters", but guessed them with every single other newcomer save Rosalina (Who, like Chrom, Palutena, Shulk, and others was probably being saved for a later leak)? (Only, I might add. ONLY the ones that actually made it in the game.) No way. Not in a million years. It'd be more miraculous as a guess than a leak, and I don't believe in miracles.

Please. Anybody who thinks that is just kidding themselves now, no offense, and I feel like more good could be done by supporting characters for DLC rather than arguing against inevitability. I have my share of gripes with the roster, but I'm not going to step away from reality to make myself enjoy the game more.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Consistently right at every turn with no major contradictions that prevent their predictions, however vague from being false? Infinite Monkey theorem is fine and all, but not in this case.

Hong

The Strongest
You know, it would be funny if one of Chrom's victory pose things had him looking at a segment of smashed wall and scratching his head, and when he realizes the players see him, he hides his sword and tries to look innocent. :D

Can anyone else think of victory screens for Chrom that help to bring out the best of the character?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You know, it would be funny if one of Chrom's victory pose things had him looking at a segment of smashed wall and scratching his head, and when he realizes the players see him, he hides his sword and tries to look innocent. :D

Can anyone else think of victory screens for Chrom that help to bring out the best of the character?
I'd certainly dig that! :D

Of course, I'd also dig him doing Frederick's "Chrom Wants You!" pose as a victory pose. :awesome::awesome:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Of course there's always his twirling the sword and sticking it into the ground animation.
Though that might end up being a taunt and I highly doubt it to be in both.

We can see Chrom fight in a couple of prerendered cutscenes, so maybe some of those moves?

And if anything else fails, there could be always him stuffing his face with bear meat and pies. And bear meat pies.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Maybe if Robin/Avatar isn't a playable character, the victory screen may be Chrom hi-fiving/fist bumping/noding Robin, or something like that. Like the one with Little Mac and Doc Louis

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Chrom is in (99 %).

I still think the "base of the sword sweetspot" mechanic can be stolen from Roy. Also, give him chargeable aerials for accurate timing in landing the sweetspot.

B move could be holding up a glowing sword. A vacuum effect similar to Sheik's bouncing grenade comes in during the initial phase of the attack. Can let go of B to bring down the sword.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He can certainly use the "base of the sword" gimmick, but he needs something equally unique to be his own. I'm a whole lot more hype for the possibilities after seeing a MII of all things get a unique moveset with a sword. If Pac hadn't been revealed to have it already, I would've suggested summoning Shepherds for various things.

Still want a leaping slash and something that heals a bit, especially since Palutena doesn't seem to have one even among 12 different moves.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Mii fighters gave me some of re-assurance with Chrom. The sword Mii proves that they can still make unique movesets with a sword.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Things to say when he counters:
My turn!
Have another!
Think again!

Possible Taunts:
Your end has come!
Now I'm angry!
I will not fail!
Anything can change!

Victory:
My strength comes from diligence!
No one can stop me now!
(Add in special victory after beating Marth and Ike)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Maybe if Robin/Avatar isn't a playable character, the victory screen may be Chrom hi-fiving/fist bumping/noding Robin, or something like that. Like the one with Little Mac and Doc Louis
I like this idea. I could see this or Lissa running up and jumping on him, playfully knocking him down or Frederick, with his arms behind his back, giving a nod of approval while Chrom laughs at his seriousness.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Things to say when he counters:
My turn!
Have another!
Think again!

Possible Taunts:
Your end has come!
Now I'm angry!
I will not fail!
Anything can change!

Victory:
My strength comes from diligence!
No one can stop me now!
(Add in special victory after beating Marth and Ike)
Man. I hope he doesn't actually have a counter. I feel like it's just wasted potential, especially since (if you count Greninja) three Newcomers already have one, and the two other FE reps still do.) It can still happen, but at the very least if he has one, I hope it's very unique.

Also, if he beats Marth, I'd love for him to say something like "I thought my ancestors had a bit more fight in them!" or, more respectfully "I see now why you're such a legend." or for Ike: "Priam had more fight in him than you!" or, respectfully: "You're even more skilled thanyour descendant!"

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Even though I support Chrom, I still find the Gematsu leak to be kind of iffy. Maybe I'm just a born skeptic...*sigh*

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I try to be as skeptical as possible, but all the reveals so far, "Mii Fighter" and Rhythm Heaven enemies (why are they even IN the demo?) is too much for me.

I'm just sad there aren't any Mechon in the demo, I hope they're in the final version.

Speaking of Smash Run, have we seen ANY Fire Emblem enemies yet?

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I like this idea. I could see this or Lissa running up and jumping on him, playfully knocking him down or Frederick, with his arms behind his back, giving a nod of approval while Chrom laughs at his seriousness.
I definitely feel that Chrom should have more silliness like that in his win screen, as we commonly see that side of him outside of battle. It would be a good variation of personality, as Ike and Marth are a little more on the serious side.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This is my first visit here, so idk if this has been discussed, sorry if it has.

For a long time, before gametsu and whatever, I assumed Chrom was a shoo-in because of Awakening's success. I just didn't want the smash reps for 4 to be 3 blue haired sword lords, the general argument. I didn't want either Ike or Marth being cut either, so I never really developed an opinion on who should get in as the rep. Robin was interesting, but I still don't see it happening. And Anna is a joke imo.

Anyways, I had a thought recently

what if they Palutena'd Chrom? By this I mean, gave him 12 special moves instead of customization.

Hear me out. FE Awakening was unique in the fact that you could re-train your units as many times as you wanted through many classes until you were happy with the final, personalized result. Therefore, in game, Chrom can wield a variety of weapons other than swords. So maybe you could switch the special moves between lance/axe/sword, with very different properties. It's cannon, it's interesting, and it could be a lot of fun.

In fact, imo, this would be even cooler if it had an effect on his standard moves as well, but I don't see that happening.

I'm not saying that without this he couldn't be a unique fighter. I'm saying that with this he could better utilize all of the customization themes that awakening has in it, while staying true to character and being more interesting in smash in general

thoughts?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is my first visit here, so idk if this has been discussed, sorry if it has.

For a long time, before gametsu and whatever, I assumed Chrom was a shoo-in because of Awakening's success. I just didn't want the smash reps for 4 to be 3 blue haired sword lords, the general argument. I didn't want either Ike or Marth being cut either, so I never really developed an opinion on who should get in as the rep. Robin was interesting, but I still don't see it happening. And Anna is a joke imo.

what if they Palutena'd Chrom? By this I mean, gave him 12 special moves instead of customization.

Hear me out. FE Awakening was unique in the fact that you could re-train your units as many times as you wanted through many classes until you were happy with the final, personalized result. Therefore, in game, Chrom can wield a variety of weapons other than swords. So maybe you could switch the special moves between lance/axe/sword, with very different properties. It's cannon, it's interesting, and it could be a lot of fun.

In fact, imo, this would be even cooler if it had an effect on his standard moves as well, but I don't see that happening.

I'm not saying that without this he couldn't be a unique fighter. I'm saying that with this he could better utilize all of the customization themes that awakening has in it, while staying true to character and being more interesting in smash in general

thoughts?
Then why didn't they pick Robin, the character that puts emphasis on customization?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord

thoughts?
Yeah man, this idea is definitely cool, and would put emphasis on that unique element of Awakening. I was actually just wondering what kind of customizable specials they would even give to Chrom. Although, if he turned out to be a summoning character, it would also be sweet to swap out who you'd summon for some different effects and abilities.

Can't wait to swap out my lance for a hand axe :p.

Then why didn't they pick Robin, the character that puts emphasis on customization?
Good point! In fact, they should just stop working on Chrom right now and throw in Robin! Why stop there though? Let's kick Shulk out in favor of the more heavily customizable and interesting protagonist of X! Obviously they are a million times better than the bland character of Shulk.

:troll:

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm joining the 11th hour bandwagon. I think Chrom is all but confirmed, at this juncture.

I made a post in the Ike forum with an idea for Chrom's moveset. I'm going to edit it in in after this. Gimme a minute to find it.

EDIT:
With Chrom, it's going to be interesting. Most of his animations are jump attacks or aerial hits. He just doesn't have many good grounded animations. BUT. And I know this is crazy and has never happened before, BUT what if Chrom showed up in his promoted class, the Great Lord? Now, suddenly, Chrom could dual wield Falchion and a lance. Chrom has a lot of nice lance animations, and using a weapon other than a sword (and dual wielding) would make him very unique.
I actually thought this up before Ike ever got confirmed. I still think my idea isn't likely, but Smash 4 has really been impressing me with the creativity so far, so... Who knows?

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

thoughts?
That's an awesome idea. Or maybe an attack that summons a different weapon like how Pac-Man does it.

I'm joining the 11th hour bandwagon. I think Chrom is all but confirmed, at this juncture.

I made a post in the Ike forum with an idea for Chrom's moveset. I'm going to edit it in in after this. Gimme a minute to find it.

With Chrom, it's going to be interesting. Most of his animations are jump attacks or aerial hits. He just doesn't have many good grounded animations. BUT. And I know this is crazy and has never happened before, BUT what if Chrom showed up in his promoted class, the Great Lord? Now, suddenly, Chrom could dual wield Falchion and a lance. Chrom has a lot of nice lance animations, and using a weapon other than a sword (and dual wielding) would make him very unique.

I actually thought this up before Ike ever got confirmed. I still think my idea isn't likely, but Smash 4 has really been impressing me with the creativity so far, so... Who knows?
That's an idea that's brought up in here a lot. I've heard so many ideas that I'm not sure what Sakurai would do.

After seeing Marth have more aerial lag, I'm wondering if Chrom could be the more aerial based swordsman this time.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
That's an awesome idea. Or maybe an attack that summons a different weapon like how Pac-Man does it.

That's an idea that's brought up in here a lot. I've heard so many ideas that I'm not sure what Sakurai would do.

After seeing Marth have more aerial lag, I'm wondering if Chrom could be the more aerial based swordsman this time.
Honestly, I don't believe they could represent Chrom wrong unless they made him a clone. I could be happy with just about anyway they decide to represent him.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm going to have to change my avatar if this doesn't happen. Fingers crossed.
I think we're in good hands with Gematsu's leak. I was nervous about my Palutena countdown last week, but that one worked out just fine! I'm just hoping Sakurai can do with Chrom what he with Pac-Man, and surprise me on just how cool he'll be. I still want him, and am hype for the character, I just hope he's just as unique as all the others! (Well, OK, maybe not Rosalina, cuz that'd be tough to top...)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know what's really something? That people think that the leaker might have pulled a "Pokemon X and Y" with Chrom and that it was just a placeholder for a general FE Awakening character. Despite the leak saying Chrom, not "FE:A Character" which means that his place on the roster was finalized before Greninja's.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
You know what's really something? That people think that the leaker might have pulled a "Pokemon X and Y" with Chrom and that it was just a placeholder for a general FE Awakening character. Despite the leak saying Chrom, not "FE:A Character" which means that his place on the roster was finalized before Greninja's.
I feel like people are just grasping at straws here because they would prefer Robin. But Chrom's fate in smash bros is already written!

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Man. I hope he doesn't actually have a counter. I feel like it's just wasted potential, especially since (if you count Greninja) three Newcomers already have one, and the two other FE reps still do.) It can still happen, but at the very least if he has one, I hope it's very unique.

Also, if he beats Marth, I'd love for him to say something like "I thought my ancestors had a bit more fight in them!" or, more respectfully "I see now why you're such a legend." or for Ike: "Priam had more fight in him than you!" or, respectfully: "You're even more skilled thanyour descendant!"
I hope he does have a counter, but I kind of like that continuity with characters within a series. I feel like all Fire Emblem should have a charge attack as a neutral special and a counter for their down special. I also feel like all Star Fox characters should have a reflector as a down special and a blaster as a neutral special, though. I know a lot of people don't agree with that line of thinking though.

As per your second point, as bad as Castlevania Judgement was, I liked a lot of the dialogue between characters. I would love custom dialogue like that. The best analogy to what you are talking about is Trevor Belmont (the first Belmont to defeat Dracula) fighting Simon Belmont. I don't remember exactly what he says, but Trevor says something like "let's see if you're worthy of my whip" when they fight and says something to the effect of "you're not training hard enough" if he wins. Simon says something like "to prove myself I must defeat you" before the fight and "Finally, I have my answer. My power is more than just this whip" when he wins. (The games story is a mess, but different characters are moving through time for no real reason and Simon's story is that he wants to prove his strength is his own and not just because he wields the vampire killer whip.)

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
It has been nearly seven years since Ike was revealed for SSBB back in August 2007. Chrom's announcement seems very certain, assuming Sakurai's decision to have his reveal coincide on the same month as his fellow FE representative. Even if he doesn't make it when August arrives, he'll be in nonetheless.

^-^

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It has been nearly seven years since Ike was revealed for SSBB back in August 2007. Chrom's announcement seems very certain, assuming Sakurai's decision to have his reveal coincide on the same month as his fellow FE representative. Even if he doesn't make it when August arrives, he'll be in nonetheless.

^-^
I didn't even realize Ike was an August reveal, haha. That could be cool if Chrom ends up being one, too!

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014

•Col•

Smash Champion
So, just something interesting I read earlier today.. Turns out the Smash 4 roster was pretty much finalized as the very first step of the development process. Which would've been a month before FE Awakening was even released.

http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/

If Chrom actually is in Smash 4, it would actually make sense to me now. In that if Chrom was decided to be in the game at the very beginning, Sakurai probably wouldn't have seen that much of him and thus wouldn't even be able realize that Chrom would be a poor addition because everything he can do(barring lances/team up mechanci) can already be done by Marth and/or Ike in terms of movesets. Calling it now, Chrom is going to have an extremely non-canonical moveset like ZSS if he is in.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, just something interesting I read earlier today.. Turns out the Smash 4 roster was pretty much finalized as the very first step of the development process. Which would've been a month before FE Awakening was even released.

If Chrom actually is in Smash 4, it would actually make sense to me now. In that if Chrom was decided to be in the game at the very beginning, Sakurai probably wouldn't have seen that much of him and thus wouldn't even be able realize that Chrom would be a poor addition because everything he can do(barring lances/team up mechanci) can already be done by Marth and/or Ike in terms of movesets. Calling it now, Chrom is going to have an extremely non-canonical moveset like ZSS if he is in.
Or, you know, he sees him for what he is and rolls with it. No need for the bashing, really.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Or, you know, he sees him for what he is and rolls with it. No need for the bashing, really.
Bashing? I'm only explaining how it'd make sense to actually be in the roster. Like I said, all of his skills within Awakening can be done with Ike/Marth.

I'd actually like to hear your reasoning for his addition with the information I just provided. If he was decided upon before the game was released, then obviously Awakening's sells didn't effect his chances whatsoever. Whether he's liked/hated as a character doesn't matter much since the game wasn't even out yet and thus no one had an opinion on him. His potential for a moveset based on his skills in Awakening wouldn't amount to anything since his abilities were still an unknown.

Unless you're suggesting Sakurai played through or most of Awakening before it was even released? In which case, I doubt that.

It really seems he chose Chrom purely based on what he looked like. Much like he did with Roy for Melee. Heck in the article, they even said that they practically did this for Greninja. Only difference being that he has a niche that can't be done by any other Smash character currently.

We said “Hey, listen take a look at this, Greninja, and see is this a character that we think would work well and we had that session well in advance of X and Y. And you know, of course, since we did this way, again, way in advance of X and Y we… we’re doing it… sort of our reference materials were just some drawings at that point. The character that we’re seeing in the game right now is something that I took a really, pretty heavy hand in working on, again, because some of the information did come in late for us.”
Again, if Chrom is in the game, that is. Still not 100% sold on the Gematsu leak purely because of the 'Pokemon from X/Y' thing.. Although the article I just linked would explain the ambiguity of the newcomer listing.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Sakurai has contact with IS so he probably could see the game and cutscenes of Chrom before Awakening came out, like how he knew about Roy before release.
I don't think he was forced to choose Chrom, since he wasn't forced to choose Leif. If Chrom is in it's because Sakurai accepted him.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Like I said, all of his skills within Awakening can be done with Ike/Marth.
Until Ike or Marth are performing those skills we don't have anyone on the roster that utilizes such as Luna, Dual Strike+, etc. barring Aether and Counter of course.

And I don't understand why it is such a crime for a character to either have part of their moveset conceptualized by Sakurai and/or use moves and abilities they cannot use in their respective games. If this is such a problem, characters such as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Palutena, Ness, Lucas, etc. are all serious offenders (I'm not even going to count Captain Falcon, retros, or non-fighting game characters like Pac-Man).

His potential for a moveset based on his skills in Awakening wouldn't amount to anything since his abilities were still an unknown.
Unless you're suggesting Sakurai played through or most of Awakening before it was even released? In which case, I doubt that.
With Greninja, Pokemon of older generations were able to use abilities such as Substitute and Shadow Sneak, likewise, there are previous Fire Emblem characters who can use Luna, Counter, etc. So having attacks and abilities inspired by previous Lords shouldn't be an issue if they existed before Chrom was created. We cannot say for certain how much information about Chrom IS gave Sakurai such as reclassing, inherent abilities, etc., but it is fairly safe to say that like Marth and Ike, Chrom will be using attacks and abilities strictly drawn both from Sakurai's imagination as well as skills from Fire Emblem, even if Chrom cannot use those skills canonically.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That, and I still think Chrom can go off the air game+healing sword thing. He definitely has ways of working out fine.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Ew no no base of the sword sweetspot please

I have enough trouble swallowing that with PM Ike, who is my goddamn main. One does not bring a sword into battle to bash people to death with its hilt. Unless one is particularly psychotic and I don't think Chrom is Scandinavian.

P:M Roy has a much nicer sweetspot. It's essentially the blade edge, with Roy's arm, hilt and tip sweetspots hitting like wet noodle. It makes a lot more sense for the strong of the sword (that's literally what it's called I believe) to be the sweetspot. Given how much FE characters lean into their attacks, making them prone to counter-attack, the range disadvantage should be sharp enough to matter even if the sweetspot is pretty large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom