• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Sakurai has contact with IS so he probably could see the game and cutscenes of Chrom before Awakening came out, like how he knew about Roy before release.
I don't think he was forced to choose Chrom, since he wasn't forced to choose Leif. If Chrom is in it's because Sakurai accepted him.
Uh.. I didn't say he was forced to choose him? I said he would have picked Chrom based off of purely his looks. And yeah, I'm sure he'd end up watching cutscenes and whatnot when trying to come up with ideas for the moveset.. My point was that it seems likely that he made a gut decision to choose him rather than looking into what he could actually do.

Until Ike or Marth are performing those skills we don't have anyone on the roster that utilizes such as Luna, Dual Strike+, etc. barring Aether and Counter of course.

And I don't understand why it is such a crime for a character to either have part of their moveset conceptualized by Sakurai and/or use moves and abilities they cannot use in their respective games. If this is such a problem, characters such as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Palutena, Ness, Lucas, etc. are all serious offenders (I'm not even going to count Captain Falcon, retros, or non-fighting game characters like Pac-Man).
I never said it was a bad thing? In fact, I meant it's better this way since if he wanted to use a canonical moveset, it would've felt.. Not exactly sure what term I'm looking for here. Unoriginal(maybe)? But if it was an actual GREAT idea for a moveset, then he could've used it in Ike's moveset already, for instance. And probably would have. The lifedrain idea, for instance. Could've easily put that into Aether and it would've been a neat little touch. But since they didn't do that, it makes me feel like they just didn't view such an idea to be all that great(possibly even considering it a balance issue).

But yeah. Non-canonical based moveset for Chrom would be better just all around. Heck, just look at the movesets in the opening post. Quite a few of them take a lot of 'artistic liberties' and I viewed them as unlikely to get into the game, but if Chrom is in the game then those types of movesets seem even more likely if Chrom was truely chosen off of a gut feeling.

Anyway.. Speaking on leaning toward less-canonical movsets.... I really wish Sakurai would go with a lance-based moveset for Chrom, but I really don't see him going with it since every lord in Smash has used their signature weapon. :/ So yeah.. Exalted Falchion..

IronFish

Smash Ace
If Chrom DOES get in he is going to be this game's Lucas and be a clone of Marth and be the first one on the chopping block come smash 5 honestly. Denying it is grasping at straws.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So, just something interesting I read earlier today.. Turns out the Smash 4 roster was pretty much finalized as the very first step of the development process. Which would've been a month before FE Awakening was even released.

http://gamerant.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-roster-greninja-details/

If Chrom actually is in Smash 4, it would actually make sense to me now. In that if Chrom was decided to be in the game at the very beginning, Sakurai probably wouldn't have seen that much of him and thus wouldn't even be able realize that Chrom would be a poor addition because everything he can do(barring lances/team up mechanci) can already be done by Marth and/or Ike in terms of movesets. Calling it now, Chrom is going to have an extremely non-canonical moveset like ZSS if he is in.
So let me get this straight (sorry, I can't think right now haha)... basically Chrom may be a similar situation to Greninja? In a sense that Chrom was chosen before Awakening's release (perhaps Sakurai having a "FE placeholder"), and Sakurai didn't really know much about Chrom at the time he was decided on, so perhaps Chrom may have received some creative moves (canon or not), not found in Awakening? And this actually may be a plus?

But what you're saying is that if Sakurai knew the full story about Chrom (so, he's choosing to add Chrom after Awakening), he may have not chosen Chrom in the end, due to the reasons you mentioned.

It's possible, however, we don't really know if IS gave Sakurai a sneak peak at Awakening, and the things Chrom could do (which could happen, like with Roy), and/or roll with concept art. Sakurai could of had a "FE newcomer" placeholder in mind.

Anyway, in the event that Chrom was chosen before Awakening, then it obviously had nothing to do with Chrom's popularity and Awakening's success. It's interesting, and I hope that Sakurai will give us an explanation on this matter.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Hello! I have made a Lucina moveset that, with some small adjustments, is 100% compatible with Chrom. I have edited it where necessary. I think the newcomers thus far have all been very unique and special with moves or qualities that break the rules. With that in mind, I'm replacing my old Chrom moveset.

If you have seen the Lucina moveset, nothing new to see here.
My concept of Chrom is a character all about mobility, mix-ups, and combos. Chrom has never been the most elegant royal, and that reflects in his fighting style. Chrom is a fighter with average run speed, above average weight, a high initial jump and a poor double jump. Chrom is a fast-faller.

Before we begin, I should note Chrom has a special feature: "Rightful King" is a passive quality unique to this fighter. Every successful strike to an enemy empowers his sword, gaining the trademark blue glow. At maximum power, his portrait is bordered with blue flame. While at full power, Chrom gains a small but noticeable increase to both movement and attack speed. Receiving damage or inactivity causes Rightful King to fade.

Specials

Javelin
:GCB:
Chrom draws a javelin in his other hand, which functions as a unique weapon item and is aesthetically similar of that seen in Awakening. Pressing B again while it's in hand throws the javelin, and you can hold B for extra power/distance. You can also throw it with Z just like any other weapon item, and while it's not as strong this way (just flips around in the air like any other thrown weapon), can be thrown in all directions. His jab prods the lance, forward tilt brandishes it across, and forward smash results in a strong thrust with so much impact that it shatters the javelin.

If other fighters pick it up, they just swing it around like any other weapon, nowhere near as effective. Chrom can only have three javelins on screen at a given time.

Rout
:GCB::GCR:
This move causes Chrom to sheathe his sword and dash forward similar to Fox Illusion, but leaving a blue trail. What happens next is where this differs vastly.

Press A at the start will transist the move into a sliding kick. This stops Chrom on impact, pops the enemy upwards, and has little lag on hit.

Press B at the start to expend the Rightful King effect and cut enemies on his path. Those caught en route don't take much damage, but enemies at the end suffer a blow of immense strength. If Rightful King is at full power, this attack has vertical launch power akin to other lethal moves, like Luigi's Fire Jump Punch or Jigglypuff's Rest.

Lastly, you can press R to fake out, creating a blue trail but Chrom merely reappears at his point of origin.

Should no action be taken, Chrom will merely pass through enemies. This doesn't have much delay, but the blue trail sticks to Chrom for few seconds, and Rout cannot be used again until it's gone.

Counter
:GCB::GCD:
The trademark Counter mechanic breathes the spirit of Fire Emblem into Smash Bros! But this one is different. Countering while a Javelin is in hand will cause Chrom to throw it at full charge and at immense speed. If he is empty-handed, he instead tries to grab the attacker, with bonus reach compared to his normal grab.

Exalted Aether
:GCB::GCU:
Chrom flips into the air with sword extended, much like in the cutscene. It doesn't have much height, but a lot of lateral distance. Pressing B while flipping will end the move early and cancel it into a downward sword plant.

Aerial

:GCA:
A corkscrew 360° swish of the sword that combos into itself rather well.
:GCA::GCR: (forward)
Readies his sword before delivering a horizontal cut. A bit of wind-up, but a lot of power.
:GCA::GCL:(backward)
A backward kick followed by a horizontal sword slice.
:GCA::GCD:
Sheathes his sword and faces downwards before delivering a fast and deadly arcing slash below for a meteor smash.
:GCA::GCU:
Swishes his sword above before slashing in an arc. Multi-hit attack that lacks launch power, but has decent damage.

Ground

Delivers rapid horizontal slashes. Like other jab attacks, it automatically leads to an ender. In Chrom's case, it ends with a shoulder check.
:GCA::GCR: (tilt)
Diagonal downward cut followed by an upward slash in quick succession.
:GCA::GCD:(tilt)
Hand planted on the ground, he delivers a low horizontal cut with good reach.
:GCA::GCU:(tilt)
Two quick arcing slashes above.
:GCA::GCR:(smash)
Leans back before stepping forward and delivering a fierce thrust. Has immense reach.
:GCA::GCD:(smash)
Does a fierce spin slash. It's not ideal for hitting low or rolling foes that are small in size.
:GCA::GCU: (smash)
Hops while performing a front-flip sword slash with a large area of effect, but long landing lag.
:GCA: (dash)
Vanishes and re-emerges a short distance ahead, cutting down those in his way.

Throws

Hooks his foes with the hilt of hos sword.
:GCR:(forward)
Kicks them away and follows it up with a slash
:GCL:(backward)
Grabs them by the arm, spins them around once before letting loose.
:GCD:
Stomps the enemy into the ground, leaps into the air off-screen before coming down on them with his sword as they try to stand up. The best throw for damage.
:GCU:
Holds them up-high and delivers a sword thrust to send them upwards. Good for vertical kills.

No taunts, victory poses or Final Smash because they are simple enough to figure out! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
If Chrom DOES get in he is going to be this game's Lucas and be a clone of Marth and be the first one on the chopping block come smash 5 honestly. Denying it is grasping at straws.
There are plenty of movesets that make Chrom unique, check the op for a lot of cool ways. Also, if we went by your logic, Rosalina would be a Peach clone, and Toon Link would have been cut for smash 4.
Also, I don't think Lucas is a clone of Marth:troll:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Uh.. I didn't say he was forced to choose him? I said he would have picked Chrom based off of purely his looks. And yeah, I'm sure he'd end up watching cutscenes and whatnot when trying to come up with ideas for the moveset.. My point was that it seems likely that he made a gut decision to choose him rather than looking into what he could actually do.
That might be the case, but who knows, Roy ended up with fire attacks. I was just saying that Sakurai had a choice.

I won't mind if Chrom is in with a made up moveset like Greninja or ZSS since I like how those characters play.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*Looks at signature*

Ah, I see. Speaking in absolutes and trash-talking Chrom and his supporters won't make Robin any more likely. :smirk:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think Robin fans understand that Chrom actually makes sense as a character choice. He is the cover boy of the new Fire Emblem, he has an overwhelming presence in Awakening, and he is easily the most marketable. Saying otherwise is another case of grasping at straws.

Simply being unique is not enough to get you into Smash Bros. Sure, Robin can do this, and he can do THAT. The Robin supporters will say, "Chrom is BORING. He has a LAME personality! Robin is way COOLER!" Oh yeah? What about his personality is cool? You customize his looks, but his personality is the same no matter what you do. That's hardly "exciting" or unique. It's quite the double standard.

Who cares if Chrom gets a non-canonical moveset? There are other characters with movesets like that. Maybe not entire movesets, but combinations of them. Liberties are taken everywhere in Smash, so if people cry foul, let them. I can't see any of the newcomers in this game getting cut. I'm sure Chrom won't disappoint.

I must admit the Robin fans and their hate is getting tiresome. What can I say? Haters gonna hate.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So let me get this straight (sorry, I can't think right now haha)... basically Chrom may be a similar situation to Greninja? In a sense that Chrom was chosen before Awakening's release (perhaps Sakurai having a "FE placeholder"), and Sakurai didn't really know much about Chrom at the time he was decided on, so perhaps Chrom may have received some creative moves (canon or not), not found in Awakening? And this actually may be a plus?
Yes, that is the case basically. Although to be fair, he probably knew a bit more about Chrom than Greninja considering they were literally just going off of concept art for Greninja. With Chrom it's much more likely that they at least viewed the Awakening trailers and perhaps a few cutscenes. Doubting they viewed much of him within the actual gameplay though before making their decision to include him.

But what you're saying is that if Sakurai knew the full story about Chrom (so, he's choosing to add Chrom after Awakening), he may have not chosen Chrom in the end, due to the reasons you mentioned.
I do believe he would've put more consideration in other characters, yes. That's just my own opinion though. If he had a better understanding of Chrom as a whole, I think he'd look for someone who could really bring some unique stuff, for instance, the Avatar character from Awakening would be my bet. They could wield all types of weapons and use magic and such.. Representing the FE series all around and being a really unique character. Think Vaan or Bartz from Final Fantasy Dissadia.

It's possible, however, we don't really know if IS gave Sakurai a sneak peak at Awakening, and the things Chrom could do (which could happen, like with Roy), and/or roll with concept art. Sakurai could of had a "FE newcomer" placeholder in mind.

Anyway, in the event that Chrom was chosen before Awakening, then it obviously had nothing to do with Chrom's popularity and Awakening's success. It's interesting, and I hope that Sakurai will give us an explanation on this matter.
Well if we look back a couple years, it's not at all unlikely that IS may have suggested Chrom. If we look back during Awakening's development, they went into it thinking that it might be the last Fire Emblem game that Nintendo would ever make (if it didn't end up selling well). So in that sense, I could see them suggesting him since he could have been the last FE lord to ever exist.

That might be the case, but who knows, Roy ended up with fire attacks. I was just saying that Sakurai had a choice.

I won't mind if Chrom is in with a made up moveset like Greninja or ZSS since I like how those characters play.
Well yeah, when I said he would most likely have a non-canonical moveset, I didn't mean it would totally be out of the realm of possibility..

Like yeah, Zero Suit Samus never used a stun laser gun or jetboots or laser whips before she was in Smash. But it's not like she wouldn't have access to that stuff.

I'm talking about non-canonical such as the Soul Calibur Hilde-esque mechanic, wielding a sword and spear at the same time, non-canonical type moveset. It's not out of the realm of possibility for Chrom's capabilities, but it's definitely not from the source material(Awakening).

I need to stop talking as if Chrom is guaranteed to be in the game already.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't at all be surprised if Chrom ended up being a clone-ish character if he got in. Sakurai did it with Lucas despite him being a newcomer.. So yeah. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Well yeah, when I said he would most likely have a non-canonical moveset, I didn't mean it would totally be out of the realm of possibility..

Like yeah, Zero Suit Samus never used a stun laser gun or jetboots or laser whips before she was in Smash. But it's not like she wouldn't have access to that stuff.

I'm talking about non-canonical such as the Soul Calibur Hilde-esque mechanic, wielding a sword and spear at the same time, non-canonical type moveset. It's not out of the realm of possibility for Chrom's capabilities, but it's definitely not from the source material(Awakening).

I need to stop talking as if Chrom is guaranteed to be in the game already.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't at all be surprised if Chrom ended up being a clone-ish character if he got in. Sakurai did it with Lucas despite him being a newcomer.. So yeah. Just sayin'.
He could definitely have a non-canonical moveset, like how his costume in MH Frontier G uses a Nidhogg and shield. It depends more on Sakurai than anything else.
Since people like playing as Marth, Ike and Roy, I think Sakurai will make Chrom similar as well if he's in.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Double Posting Warning Received
Lucas and Toon Link both had the potential to be unique, I would still be saying this stuff even if I didn't know Robin is the better choice.

Only a Sith speaks in absolutes after all. We shall call him Darth Grima.
I usually don't deal absolutes, but I just don't want Chrom playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lucas and Toon Link both had the potential to be unique, I would still be saying this stuff even if I didn't know Robin is the better choice.
You claim we're in denial, but isn't claiming that Chrom can't possibly be unique the epitome of denial? Or acting like Robin is objectively the better choice?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would just recommend realizing the fact that Chrom is going to be playable based on the Sal leak. You'd be better off learning to accept it now rather than be more disappointed later. But to each their own I suppose.

I have trouble seeing Chrom being a complete clone based on the idea that was brought up in regards to Palutena. Chrom could have several different special moves that can be alternated or what have you. I think if worse came to worse they could just add that in. Bow and arrow, lance, javelin, whatever it may be. I'm simply not worried.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't agree with @ Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones 's sentiments, but that aside, i agree that if even a dunce like me can think of several wholly original movesets for Chrom that play like NOTHING else, it would be disrespectful to think Sakurai would have to create a luigified Marth or Chrom. Need I remind anyone that they have creative folks from both the Tales and Soul Calibur series on board? The creativity with their character designs and fighting styles is out of this world. They can do a way better job than I.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I remember when people asked what Palutena would even do....and then Sakurai basically gave her 12 different/unique special moves. I also remember when people asked what Little Mac would even do......

Btw, dis funny stuff doh:

Last edited:

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
Come on people. This is sakurai, the guy who can make unique movesets out of characters that have never even been in a fight in the own game. If he can do that then he can easily make a unique moveset for someone who does fight in their games. If you don't think Chrom is getting in you're in denial. If you think Robin still has a chance you're in even more denial.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think Robin fans understand that Chrom actually makes sense as a character choice. He is the cover boy of the new Fire Emblem, he has an overwhelming presence in Awakening, and he is easily the most marketable. Saying otherwise is another case of grasping at straws.

Simply being unique is not enough to get you into Smash Bros. Sure, Robin can do this, and he can do THAT. The Robin supporters will say, "Chrom is BORING. He has a LAME personality! Robin is way COOLER!" Oh yeah? What about his personality is cool? You customize his looks, but his personality is the same no matter what you do. That's hardly "exciting" or unique. It's quite the double standard.

Who cares if Chrom gets a non-canonical moveset? There are other characters with movesets like that. Maybe not entire movesets, but combinations of them. Liberties are taken everywhere in Smash, so if people cry foul, let them. I can't see any of the newcomers in this game getting cut. I'm sure Chrom won't disappoint.

I must admit the Robin fans and their hate is getting tiresome. What can I say? Haters gonna hate.
I think us Robin fans, for the most part, do think that Chrom makes sense as a character choice, for all the reasons you mentioned. But while we think he makes sense, we simply believe that there is a better alternative that also makes sense.

Also, I don't think any Robin supporter says that Robin is a better choice because of his/her personality. Both Robin and Chrom are fairly bland characters. Support for Robin comes almost entirely from the potential he/she has as a fighter.

I apologize if some of my fellow Robin supporters have been hateful towards Chrom supporters, but I will say that Chrom supporters can, at times, be rather annoying to those who don't think Chrom is the absolute best possible choice for a Fire Emblem newcomer.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's pretty embarrassing, just what Chrom supporters have to deal with. Supporters of other characters like Robin or Anna coming into their thread saying "nuuuhhhh Chrom would be a worse choice than the character I like" or "Chrom sucks" just because they see Chrom as some kind of threat to their wishlist.

It's one thing to go into a discussion thread and say you doubt a character, but when you go into a thread and actually start trashing a character then you are officially a douche. God damn, even the Ridley thread has been more adult than this.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Any ideas as to how Chrom's reveal trailer will go? If they could tie it to SMTxFE, that would be awesome.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Just dropping by to ask why people think Chrom will be a clone of Marth? Blue-haired swordsmen can very well have different move-sets and play styles. Appearance doesn't matter. Marth and Ike are very different, so Chrom could be very different as well. Even if Chrom's abilities in Awakening are similar to Marth or Ike's, Sakurai is known for creating different and brand new move-sets for characters.

Edit: This isn't about the post directly above mine at all lol, just saw it. Just going by what I've seen many other people say on this thread and others.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just dropping by to ask why people think Chrom will be a clone of Marth? Blue-haired swordsmen can very well have different move-sets and play styles. Appearance doesn't matter. Marth and Ike are very different, so Chrom couod be very different as well. Even if Chrom's abilities in Awakening are similar to Marth or Ike's, Sakurao is known for creating different and brand new move-sets for characters.

Edit: This isn't about the post directly above mine at all lol, just saw it. Just going by what I've seen many other people say on this thread and others.
General pessimism I think. Or lack of creativity. :p

I'm sure whatever route Chrom goes, it will be fulfilling. People just need a little faith.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Just dropping by to ask why people think Chrom will be a clone of Marth?
Because- since both Ike and Marth are unique characters with completely different playstyles, 2 is obviously the limit of unique movesets you can create with Fire Emblem lords. Anything more and you must have to mesh them together.

Really though, I straight up have no idea. Chrom doesn't have to be clone-ish, although he could be.

Morbi

Scavenger
Because- since both Ike and Marth are unique characters with completely different playstyles, 2 is obviously the limit of unique movesets you can create with Fire Emblem lords. Anything more and you must have to mesh them together.

Really though, I straight up have no idea. Chrom doesn't have to be clone-ish, although he could be.
I honestly thought it had something to do with their hair and the notion that they both wield the same blade, Falchion.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just dropping by to ask why people think Chrom will be a clone of Marth? Blue-haired swordsmen can very well have different move-sets and play styles. Appearance doesn't matter. Marth and Ike are very different, so Chrom couod be very different as well. Even if Chrom's abilities in Awakening are similar to Marth or Ike's, Sakurao is known for creating different and brand new move-sets for characters.

I don't think Chrom would ever be a complete clone of Marth or Ike, but I think it's likely that he could end up as a semi-clone of sorts. This is mostly due to the fact that the abilities Chrom uses in Awakening are, for the most part, already utilized by Marth or Ike. There isn't a ton left over for Chrom to use to make himself unique, aside from less notable abilities (like his ability to use spears). And while some of those less notable abilities could be used to make Chrom more unique, Ike had a number of smaller abilities (like his ability to use axes) that he could have used to differentiate himself further from Marth, yet in the end those abilities were not incorporated. I think Chrom may end up in a similar situation if he's playable.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also am I the only person that thinks no matter what they do with Chrom, he's just going to be overshadowed by Shulk anyway?

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I see I see. Well, Sakurai could give Chrom unique moves not from the games as well, and spears would be neat. I just don't think we should say he will be a clone just yet. Semi-clone is possible, but let's hope for the best, a completely unique character.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Come on people. This is sakurai, the guy who can make unique movesets out of characters that have never even been in a fight in the own game. If he can do that then he can easily make a unique moveset for someone who does fight in their games. If you don't think Chrom is getting in you're in denial. If you think Robin still has a chance you're in even more denial.
Oh come on, don't say that...

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Also am I the only person that thinks no matter what they do with Chrom, he's just going to be overshadowed by Shulk anyway?
In what respects? I'm looking at Chrom as one of my top 3 characters. I have no interest in Shulk.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean I'm certainly going to be using Shulk alot more anyway by nature of my Xenoblade fanboyism. So I'm inclined to agree in that respect, but will probably use Chrom a healthy bit anyway, since I like him too.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Don't count your chocobos before they hatch. As we Chrom supporters say, "Anything can change."

Still hope the leak is real...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In what respects? I'm looking at Chrom as one of my top 3 characters. I have no interest in Shulk.
Well having a more organic moveset that feels less forced for starters. Like you can completely ignore spears because the lengths the Monado can reach can surpass that, and the ability of healing feels more natural for Shulk considering one of his normal Arts is Light Heal. That's not even counting the Monado Arts. Like the ability to set up barriers, the ability to increase evasion, or shoot a projectile that can also neutralize and seal abilities.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, did you feel that any of the currently revealed newcomers have overshadowed others?

It honestly depends on which character you like more previously.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I'll hate Chrom a lot less than 80% of the current newcomers. So in that case, I think I'd be cool with him.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm kinda glad to see Chrom becoming more likely as time goes on though. It'd be so great to see what they can do with him. Unless he's a throwaway as an FE-character, but since roster's planned done (again) in Brawl-fashion, I'm sure there's more than enough time and ideas to craft Chrom to much else than most naysayers or people saying he can't distinguish himself from Marth or Ike.

Also, Awakening-fans being so everywhere, you'll have difficult time seeing Chrom getting overshadowed by other newcomers. (Because I bet they wouldn't care less if he's uninteresting... though I'm positive that he won't even be uninspired because "apparently those who think Chrom's uninteresting/bland = Sakurai.")

I'd expect it more likely to see Shulk getting misintepreted beyond belief to fulfill all sorts of fangirl fetishes or fantasies for fujoshis.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, since he was clearly planned even before Greninja was, I don't think "last minute clone" is a very likely outcome for him. So yeah.

The fact also is that Chrom, unlike many other newcomers, including Palutena, Shulk, and especially Chorus Men, and possibly even Little Mac will be more easily recognized because of how successful Awakening wass. I haven't met a person with a 3DS that doesn't own both it and Pokemon X(or Y). So I don't see him being overshadowed by them, because of how easily recognizable he is, since he and his game essentially made Fire Emblem a mainstream franchise. Unless we're just talking movesets, at which case I say wait until we see him.

I mean honestly, how many of us thought Miis were destined to have generic sports-themed movesets? Probably most. And then there's Pac-man, who instead of being a summoner was doomed to a rather dull-sounding Pac-man World moveset.

I know Chrom is "another Lord", but frankly all the doom and gloom arguments are starting to reek of "I wish it was Robin".

I honestly wish they'd just revealed Chrom instead of Miis, so we'd be done with this goddamn moveset argument at last.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The fact also is that Chrom, unlike many other newcomers, including Palutena, Shulk, and especially Chorus Men, and possibly even Little Mac will be more easily recognized because of how successful Awakening wass.
Just wanna come in here to say that actually, both Rhythm Heaven DS (having Chorus Kids on the boxart) and Punch Out Wii sold more than Awakening did, so if we go by that Chorus Kids and easily Little Mac are more recognizable. (Only thing we could go by, really.) Pretty sure Rhythm Heaven in Japan alone sold more than FE:A worldwide.

I think Awakening's success in terms of sales is overblown. Best selling Fire Emblem actually isn't something to brag about because that's how bad the series sells in general. All it means is that Awakening sold well enough to see merit in keeping it going. The fact that Nintendo told Intelligent Systems that they'll kill FE if the next installment doesn't sell well is frightening because Nintendo normally doesn't mind greenlighting a game even if the risk of it not selling well is high, such as Wonderful 101. FEA can manage to save the franchise without selling a million, that's how bad the state of the series was. Seriously, it only needed to sell 250k to be considered a success.

Not to speak against Chrom's inclusion though, I think an Awakening rep deserves to be in regardless just because it managed to save the franchise. Although not in the way I'd like, since I really feel Awakening changes Fire Emblem for the worse, but that's another topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom