• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I predict Shulk and Chrom reveals for August.

Frankly I'm not sure about Chorus Men, but I don't see the point in keeping only one newcomer a secret, or even just three for that matter. Brawl had, what, 7 hidden newcomers.

Frankly I'm not really sure about hidden characters this time around.

Also, I'm surprised at the sheer lack of veteran reveals today. I mean, technically GaW was revealed, but his character page isn't up, so I guess Sakurai didn't want to officially confirm him? Weird, but whatever.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I predict Shulk and Chrom reveals for August.

Frankly I'm not sure about Chorus Men, but I don't see the point in keeping only one newcomer a secret, or even just three for that matter. Brawl had, what, 7 hidden newcomers.

Frankly I'm not really sure about hidden characters this time around.

Also, I'm surprised at the sheer lack of veteran reveals today. I mean, technically GaW was revealed, but his character page isn't up, so I guess Sakurai didn't want to officially confirm him? Weird, but whatever.
I think Brawl had 4 hidden newcomers: Wolf, Toon Link, Lucario and R.O.B.
It would actually make sense to have 3 hidden newcomers this time around, even if I want Chrom announced as soon as possible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they should. Am still sort of skeptical about the Chorus Men, but Chrom seems extremely likely to get in.

Am slightly warming up to Chrom now though. Out of all the newcomers so far, I think I would even be slightly more hyped than average for his reveal.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm really excited to see Chrom after that trailer for Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensi...
OH WAIT WE DIDN'T GET ONE.:mad:
Still, I'm pretty happy that Chrom is looking likely. I think he would be a prime candidate for DLC.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Alright, I don't think I have responded in this thread before.

I am not a supporter of Chrom, but it looks like I may need to face that he will be in.

Can some people tag me in here and, not flaming,
1- get me hyped?
2- why is is as deserving as the recurring lords (of multiple games, in franchise not of smash?)

For a series that has over 200 characters, many fighting styles, weapons, multiple recurring characters, and over double digits in games.... why does this flavor of the month deserve it? I'd be all in for a female, magic user, recurring character.

I want to be excited when I see him. So badly.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Alright, I don't think I have responded in this thread before.

I am not a supporter of Chrom, but it looks like I may need to face that he will be in.

1- get me hyped?
2- why is is as deserving as the recurring lords (of multiple games, in franchise not of smash?)

For a series that has over 200 characters, many fighting styles, weapons, multiple recurring characters, and over double digits in games.... why does this flavor of the month deserve it? I'd be all in for a female, magic user, recurring character.

There are some really cool movesets in the op. They make Chrom unique, and certainly got me hyped for his inclusion in ssb4.
While there are certainally a lot of cool characters in fire Emblem, I feel like Awakening will be the series to be represented in smash 4. Awakening did save the franchise, so I feel like it's only fitting to choose a character from that game. And who better to fit that role than the main protagonist?? As much as I would love to see Frederick or Anna, both of them are impossibilities considering that they lack the promotability of Chrom. He is appearing in SMTXFE, but that hardly counts as a reappearance.

And as for females, isn't marth enough?:troll:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I wonder if Chrom will be the last newcomer revealed pre-release. He's one of the characters that would make the most sense for a regular Nintendo Direct in August.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Easy solution for a female FE rep is to just have Lucina over Chrom

Or just put both like you have Wii fit trainer having both genders as an option

Lucina fights the same way as Chrom so yea...

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Sal Romano leaks have already been confirmed, so Chrom is in the game.

Lucina isn't going to be an Alt for Chrom because that wouldn't make any sense. They aren't event he same build. Unless you want a very butch looking Lucina.

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
The Sal Romano leaks have already been confirmed, so Chrom is in the game.

Lucina isn't going to be an Alt for Chrom because that wouldn't make any sense. They aren't event he same build. Unless you want a very butch looking Lucina.
WFT female isnt the same build as WFT male but they still work the exact same. They could easily do the same for Lucina and Chrom.

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
1- get me hyped?

That's Nintendo job :awesome:

I don't think before I gonna feel hyped for Mii and Pac-Man. Now I do.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's Nintendo job :awesome:

I don't think before I gonna feel hyped for Mii and Pac-Man. Now I do.
Thanks... I want to be happy when I see him, though, not after.
So far, he seems excessively undeserving to me. One game of a huge roster who looks feasibly too similar to the other reps of his series- when there are many better options.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, I'm still looking forward to Chrom. (Although I wish he could've had some of the moves Mii Swordfighter has, instead of that concept being in the game...) And actually, the fact that Sakurai gave Miis a slightly-interesting looking sword-based moveset, and after what he did with Pac-Man, makes me confident Chrom will not only be unique gameplay-wise, but much more interesting than we think.

Besides, since the latest SalRomano leak apparently confirms DLC, if Sakurai wanted to add Roy's old mechanic, he could just add Roy via DLC.

I'm pretty confident Chrom is going to have an awesome moveset, and he and Shulk are the only things I'm really looking forward to left in the game, apparently. Although the concept of Chorus Men does interest me...

(If anyone needs further proof of the Sal leak, Rhythm Heaven enemies were confirmed to be in Smash Run. If anybody needs a screenshot, I'll find it.)

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I still think it's pretty neat that Id-Purpose is most definitely on the Arena Ferox stage.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
After seeing the Sword Fighter Mii having a unique moveset I hope people realize that having the same weapon doesn't mean they'll be clones or similar. Chrom can be a sword user with no strange special moves and still be unique.
I personally want him like that. Not every character needs a gimmick, but he CAN have one like healing sword, exalted falchion, summoning a partner, and that clashing mechanic @ Pacack Pacack posted.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I used to be a fervent Chrom basher (for Smash anyway, I like him in Awakening) and didn't think he had any potential for a unique moveset and wanted someone like Robin or Anna. But know that I've accepted his very likely inclusion and have examined him with a more unbiased eye, it JUST hit me that the mystical properties of the Fire Emblem may have serious potential to give him a standout moveset without relying on a gimmick like Pair-up or minor moveset modifications like sub weapons. And I know that if I realize some of Chrom's potential I can be damn sure that Sakurai does.

Considering the wonderful job Sakurai has done with Pacman and the sheer attention to detail with him, I can actually say that I'm cautiously optimistic about Chrom as a fighter now. I guess I'm joining you guys as a fellow Chrom supporter.

With that said I'm curious about any potential moveset ideas you guys have involving the Fire Emblem itself.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I used to be a fervent Chrom basher (for Smash anyway, I like him in Awakening) and didn't think he had any potential for a unique moveset and wanted someone like Robin or Anna. But know that I've accepted his very likely inclusion and have examined him with a more unbiased eye, it JUST hit me that the mystical properties of the Fire Emblem may have serious potential to give him a standout moveset without relying on a gimmick like Pair-up or minor moveset modifications like sub weapons. And I know that if I realize some of Chrom's potential I can be damn sure that Sakurai does.

Considering the wonderful job Sakurai has done with Pacman and the sheer attention to detail with him, I can actually say that I'm cautiously optimistic about Chrom as a fighter now. I guess I'm joining you guys as a fellow Chrom supporter.

With that said I'm curious about any potential moveset ideas you guys have involving the Fire Emblem itself.
You know who else had good moveset potential and could be unique and set himself apart from other similar characters? Lucas.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
After seeing Ike having a unique moveset I hope people realize that having the same weapon doesn't mean they'll be clones or similar. Wind Waker Link can be a sword user with no strange special moves and still be unique.
I personally want him like that. Not every character needs a gimmick, but he CAN have one like healing sword, Gust Jar, summoning a partner, and that clashing mechanic @ Pacack Pacack posted.
(Also, clashing isn't unique since every character can do it.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Due to it being quite the point of discussion in this thread, I have updated the second post to cover Chrom and the Gematsu Leak. Feel free to check it out!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
After seeing the Sword Fighter Mii having a unique moveset I hope people realize that having the same weapon doesn't mean they'll be clones or similar. Chrom can be a sword user with no strange special moves and still be unique.
I personally want him like that. Not every character needs a gimmick, but he CAN have one like healing sword, exalted falchion, summoning a partner, and that clashing mechanic @ Pacack Pacack posted.
I have no doubt a stick could be unique. The point is not could it. The point is, does it offer as much to work from as the plethora of other characters who are equally or more deserving, and not a flavor of the month, from the source game

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I have no doubt a stick could be unique. The point is not could it. The point is, does it offer as much to work from as the plethora of other characters who are equally or more deserving, and not a flavor of the month, from the source game
Yes, he's not hard to work with. Strangely, Sakurai said Little Mac was hard to work with but he ended up with a nice gimmick. So whether or not a character has a unique moveset depends on Sakurai.
Why have Chrom and not another character? He's the main lord of the latest and best selling FE game. Will probably appear (a long with other lords) in the SMT x FE game. Has a costume (along with Lucina) in Monster Hunter Frontier G. He's actually pretty popular and people want to see him in Smash 4.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Yes, he's not hard to work with. Strangely, Sakurai said Little Mac was hard to work with but he ended up with a nice gimmick. So whether or not a character has a unique moveset depends on Sakurai.
Why have Chrom and not another character? He's the main lord of the latest and best selling FE game. Will probably appear (a long with other lords) in the SMT x FE game. Has a costume (along with Lucina) in Monster Hunter Frontier G. He's actually pretty popular and people want to see him in Smash 4.
People who haven't played a lot of his game, or the series in general.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
People who haven't played a lot of his game, or the series in general.
Nah, just because I like Chrom doesn't mean I don't like Lyn, Hector, Micaiah or any others.
I supported Micaiah back in the brawl days since Lyn was one of the early ATs.

Besides, there really are a lot of people that only played Awakening, and I don't think they don't count just because of that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm not really sure if it's the people, Sakurai's choices, or what, but every game's final days of roster speculation seem to make everyone (and especially the people whose character choices were up in the air to begin with) highly volatile.

While the "Challenger Approaching" tumblr was right with it's earlier criticism of the fake Palutena screens in January, and their information is "somewhat" on point with the Greninja criticism, they don't address "Mii Fighter" at all, and also, unless I'm mistaken, don't supplement their "We have a Rhythm Heaven enemy, but other non-playables have gotten reps before!" with "Although, to be fair, no non-playable series has any baddie reps in Smash Run" (Unless of course I'm mistaken about that. Also, I wasn't going to count "Smash", but it's technically a Smash character, and even has their icon.

In regards to Chrom, I don't see how they would've gotten that wrong when even the "vague" predictions of "Pokemon from X&Y" and "Animal Crossing Guy" have been correct. Is it going to be Super Chrom? He was named specifically.

I'd just take solace in the fact that the same leak "confirms" DLC, which means that the final roster likely won't be "final" this time.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'm not really sure if it's the people, Sakurai's choices, or what, but every game's final days of roster speculation seem to make everyone (and especially the people whose character choices were up in the air to begin with) highly volatile.

While the "Challenger Approaching" tumblr was right with it's earlier criticism of the fake Palutena screens in January, and their information is "somewhat" on point with the Greninja criticism, they don't address "Mii Fighter" at all, and also, unless I'm mistaken, don't supplement their "We have a Rhythm Heaven enemy, but other non-playables have gotten reps before!" with "Although, to be fair, no non-playable series has any baddie reps in Smash Run" (Unless of course I'm mistaken about that. Also, I wasn't going to count "Smash", but it's technically a Smash character, and even has their icon.

In regards to Chrom, I don't see how they would've gotten that wrong when even the "vague" predictions of "Pokemon from X&Y" and "Animal Crossing Guy" have been correct. Is it going to be Super Chrom? He was named specifically.

I'd just take solace in the fact that the same leak "confirms" DLC, which means that the final roster likely won't be "final" this time.
But his vague leaks just end up sounding more like guessing, so far the only "left- field" choice has been WFT and all the other confirmed characters are safe bets anyway, the leak isn't real until Chorus Men get confirmed. I stand by its just a guy guessing, I mean its not that hard to guess they would be called Mii Fighters honestly.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Something for you leak worshippers out there link
"Lastly, let us weigh the probability of someone happening to guess several characters correctly, against the probability that a representative of Nintendo or Namco would willingly risk their career and litigation over contract breach in order to leak information to a random Smashboards user, with nothing to gain."

That is the most ridiculous thing I have read. Leaks happen ALL THE TIME. It is not only unheard of, but fairly common for this sort of information to come out. Wrong thread for this though.

If the Sal leak it true, Chrom seems like a good candidate to be an unlockable.

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
But his vague leaks just end up sounding more like guessing, so far the only "left- field" choice has been WFT and all the other confirmed characters are safe bets anyway, the leak isn't real until Chorus Men get confirmed. I stand by its just a guy guessing, I mean its not that hard to guess they would be called Mii Fighters honestly.
Are we in Egypt? Because something smells like Denial...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom