• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else not able to choose a main?

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Okay, not that a main is mandatory to play the game, but for those of us familiar with the franchise, people usually pick one character to master. Anyway, before the game came out, I had a pretty good idea of who my main was going to be, or at least who I could pick from. But now that the game is out, I'm not sure what it is but I just can't pick. It's like all the characters are missing something.

My old main was Mewtwo unfortunately, but it's not like I'm trying to find a Mewtwo replacement - because there isn't, I was just hoping I'd find some other character I would enjoy. Like I said, it seems like all the characters are missing something, or at least that's how it seems to me. Wether it be lack of KO moves, speed, manueverability, diversity, etc. I guess it's going to take some getting used to, but it's so weird seeing as in Melee, I knew from the beginning that I would main Mewtwo. *shrugs*

Is anyone else having a hard time choosing their main? Feel free to share.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
YES. I am. I try to play as one character, but I always be someone different because I never feel like playing him ALL THE TIME. It is very annoying.

Kyldare

Smash Apprentice
I just random a character... It is suprisingly rewarding. My mains in Melee were Fox and Marth, but now I just random.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i mean my favorites and most used from brawl are snake and dedede but there are a lot of other characters that are fun to use that i do use a lot, so I don't know if I could say I had a main right now...

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I randomed in melee and I random in Brawl

My favorite is Captain Falcon
my bests are probably Ness, Toon link, Shiek, Link & Captain Falcon

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
With melee I found it rather... stressful... to try and work on a main character. From a casual side of things, every character offered a difference experience, so it was hard to really enjoy myself spending all my time working on the same techs over and over.

I've been perfectly happy to just play random on friends and even the so-so basic brawl option online. I have a decent grasp of the game with just about everyone now, though I'm still horribly prone to suicide on all the space animals because the stick seems like 5x more sensitive then melee's. O.o

Fuego

Smash Cadet
Well, in all seriousness, in Brawl, there is really no reason to pick a main. The characters aren't different so much as they were in Melee. The only real difference between the characters is their b-moves. In Melee, choosing a main was more important, because each characters' physics was different and there were completely different ways to play each character that you had to develop over time as a player. In Brawl, every character feels essentially the same, so...yeah, choosing a main would really be about how much you like a character, not actually based on how they play or feel.

Gyumi

Smash Cadet
I feel you, I was planning to main Metaknight before the game released.
But now, I just feel like he isn't me.
Don't know, Maybe I'll main someone eventually.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
Well, in all seriousness, in Brawl, there is really no reason to pick a main. The characters aren't different so much as they were in Melee. The only real difference between the characters is their b-moves. In Melee, choosing a main was more important, because each characters' physics was different and there were completely different ways to play each character that you had to develop over time as a player. In Brawl, every character feels essentially the same, so...yeah, choosing a main would really be about how much you like a character, not actually based on how they play or feel.
this is true. and i've had a tough time choosing my main, just look at my sig.

HeartNana

Smash Cadet
Im learning torward Pit, but the more i play, the more i'm not sure if he's the right character for me. Then again, I haven't really found any other characters that i really like either...so i unno...he's super good tho, so i'll just stick with him i think, but it's sometimes hard finding a main.

8~Bit

Smash Rookie
I actually finally just registered just for this post (lol).

I'm in the same situation :/ Been playing on all my free time since it came out with my friends and all that what not but I swear it feels like I change my so called "Main" every day or so...I love the game just can't figure out who I want to use!

So I'm just leaning towards random while playing with some friends to see who really fits my play style.

Also, I chose Ike even before the game came out...but sadly I just don't actually enjoy playing him ._.;!

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I actually finally just registered just for this post (lol).

I'm in the same situation :/ Been playing on all my free time since it came out with my friends and all that what not but I swear it feels like I change my so called "Main" every day or so...I love the game just can't figure out who I want to use!

So I'm just leaning towards random while playing with some friends to see who really fits my play style.

Also, I chose Ike even before the game came out...but sadly I just don't actually enjoy playing him ._.;!
I know what you mean. I chose Olimar, P.Trainer, R.O.B., Lucario, Metaknight, and Pit as my potential mains, and to be completely honest, sadly, I don't enjoy playing them. Or at least not as much as I thought I would have. I ended up using Zelda/Shiek more because I was familiar with them. *shrugs*

Maybe I'll settle on one later on, I guess I'm just a bit disappointed because I thought I was just gonna dive straight into one. I probably hyped the characters up too much that they didn't live up to their expectations.. I think. I guess the disappointment will die down.. hopefully.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Yes, as you can see from my signature.

But, it is for a different reason than yours. Its not like I feel the characters are missing something, but that each one has something so cool that I want it, and them. That, and a few of the characters just *feel* better than they did in Melee, to me anyway.

Sheik: Mained her in Melee and I still like her
Marth: Just *feels* better
Captain Falcon: Just *feels* better
Wolf: Just a good character
Zelda: OMG, she's so buffed I wanna try her SO BAD
Zamus: Just because she's a newcomer
Samus: Just *feels* better
Toon Link: Because I love WW
ROB: I found I was actually really good with him naturally when I first picked him up
Link: I have him crossed out- but he's my favorite game characer of all time, so I won't main/second/third him, but will love playin' him.

Bah! Decisions, decisions!

8~Bit

Smash Rookie
I know what you mean. I chose Olimar, P.Trainer, R.O.B., Lucario, Metaknight, and Pit as my potential mains, and to be completely honest, sadly, I don't enjoy playing them. Or at least not as much as I thought I would have. I ended up using Zelda/Shiek more because I was familiar with them. *shrugs*

Maybe I'll settle on one later on, I guess I'm just a bit disappointed because I thought I was just gonna dive straight into one. I probably hyped the characters up too much that they didn't live up to their expectations.. I think. I guess the disappointment will die down.. hopefully.
Yeah...The weirdest thing about you posting earlier was directly before I was getting on the forums I said the same exact words to my friend.

We should do some random Wifi matches :D I'll send you my info probably tomorrow if you're interested.

Hope you can find a main that you enjoy!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I started off by testing out my old mains. I dropped most though. I thought I'd keep Ganon but the more I play him the more I realize that he's probably the worst character ever.

My mains [in order] are:
Meta Knight
Snake
Dedede
Ike

I thought I'd have more trouble narrowing it down but I didn't, it's all good.

toe-2-toe

Smash Rookie
It's weird. I'm a casual gamer, so I'm not into all these advanced moves, but I play pretty well with most characters (but I have some extra interest in King Dedede, Game and Watch, Ness, Ice Climbers, Wario, and Toon Link). But there's obviously some that everyone can't play, and I have a few:
- Diddy Kong
- Pit
- Bowser
- Samus and Zero suit
- Jigglypuff
- Lucario

I enjoy playing in the air and keeping my opponents in the air, but I guess all characters have up moves that can toss opponents up. which is quite stupid. so I can't pick a main.

M.K

Level 55
Samus was my Melee main, but she's so god awful and clunky, I just can't get a good thing going.

My potential mains are Olimar, Ivysaur, Pit, or Meta-Knight.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
it's not so easy to pick a main (well, fox or marth) because in brawl there aren't only a few selected god-beasts easy to use and invincible if mastered (a la fox-marth in melee).

this time, you'd have to choose one character by your affinity and not by being the only one wich has a chance.

I played melee with every unpopular character, and this got big rewards in brawl with my Bowser, Dk, Game and Watch (monstruous), Zelda (not sheik), Ganondorf , and the amazing new P-trainer, Ike Mknight and obviously Sonic. I'd have to say that is my pack of mains, with noone being beter than other,

as most people already said it, what one lacks, other has it, but there's noone that has all (ahem.. melee fox and marth)

I think this makes the game most fun, forget about finger memory! think!

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
Rockmace, well played. I have often wanted to try to make those "bottom tier" characters viable but just never had the balls to do it on a competitive level. As it turned out my main(s) in Melee focused on the distinct character types.

I mained Link and was respectfully good at Pikachu and Mewto for those times I like to go with super speed and momentum (chu-fu) and those times I wanted to float around the stage with grab combos and priority dominance (Mewtwo, who for is "just a little too far" side rolls was referred to by my friends as "sir floaty.")

In brawl there is a middle ground for these. If I want ranged dominance and control like I got from Link I can go with Link, Pit, Snake, etc. If I'm in the mood for speed and annoyance combos I can take Chu, Sonic, Diddy. If I want floaty melee games they made a "sir floaty" in every weight class now.

I've been practicing to "main" Link or Wolf, but eventually I just stop having fun with them and want to **** around with something else. I consistently play nine different characters now. I'm starting to realize that I shouldn't even bother and just alternate around my nine guys based on mood. So what if I get pwned in tournaments because I didn't "main a top tier," it's more fun this way.

Celes

Smash Rookie
just a quick note to some people who want to main one of the specific 3 pokemon (Squirtle,IvySaur,Charizard) you cant technically main the specific pokemon as through the match i think someone said abour 1:45 minutes they get fatigued. which means their attacks hurt way less forcing you to switch to do anything

ON TOPIC. ive been switching around a lot since i got the game. im trying to narrow it down to 4 as i thought that was a nice number and itll be impossible for em to narrow down to lower. still working on it now but iunn o D:

-Knux-

Smash Ace
I tend to have difficulties finding my favorite/best character. There are so many characters that I either like or I'm good with that it takes away from using one. I really need to find one that I like a lot and I'm good with and stick with that character. I can then become better and better by using only that character. Falco might just be my main. I'd still like to give some other characters more chances before I decide, though.

CraneStyle

Smash Cadet
Yea in Melee my main was Fox but since playing him in brawl I could understand from my own experiance and from other ppl talking about how bad he got nurfed so even though he is no doubt my alt right now I'm practicing with Lucario because he seems like a really pro character with his double team counter and an excellent character to play really good mind games with and Double Team pwns Spammers like Pitt and he could take a punch too!

Shezarr

Smash Rookie
Before Brawl came out, I was basically sure that I wanted to main Metaknight. Just because I was a huge fan of his as a kid. Now though, it seems as though he doesn't have any good smash moves. So now I'm spending a few days on each character until I find one that 'feels' good. Hopefully the one I choose doesn't turn out to really suck in the end. >.<

So far though, after a fast run-through with each character, I really like G&W / Olimar.

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
I don't like Brawl's Captain Falcon or Ganondorf as much. I kinda wanted to main them.

LoVer

Smash Cadet
Are you serious?

ThatInsaneKid

Smash Cadet
I really like using Lucas, but after getting my butt kicked against an Ike over Wi-Fi, then beating the crap out of that same Ike with R.O.B. and Zamus, as well as doing fairly well with Olimar, I think I'll alternate those three as my mains, since I can't choose a single one of them. :x

syndicate

Smash Apprentice
I was maining link but I switched over to Toon Link now, but I feel like he's not for me in a sense, then again I do sometimes, it'll develop some way some day.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I thought i was going to main Wolf and use Fox,Falco and Kirby as secondaries. But now it's narrowed down to

Wolf: (In every goddam Star fox game i play, I always shoot him down last and i don't give a **** if he sounds like a ***got) Yea he' in between fast and slow. I like the middle :laugh:

Ike: huge sword and has some combo potential or I can F.E them with Eruption+Aether :laugh:

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Yes, yes I am.
Wow...so you honestly think DeDeDe plays like Sheik? Or R.O.B. plays like Sonic? Or that Wolf plays like Wario? Okely-dokely have fun in your land of wacky theories and unfortunate misunderstandings.

Personally, the moment I acquired R.O.B., I fell in love with the way he played. I've been maining him ever since, but I've also been throwin' around Toon Link, Wolf, and Lucario as well as the occasional Ganondorf and Bowser for old times' sake.

Fuego

Smash Cadet
Wow...so you honestly think DeDeDe plays like Sheik? Or R.O.B. plays like Sonic? Or that Wolf plays like Wario? Okely-dokely have fun in your land of wacky theories and unfortunate misunderstandings.

Personally, the moment I acquired R.O.B., I fell in love with the way he played. I've been maining him ever since, but I've also been throwin' around Toon Link, Wolf, and Lucario as well as the occasional Ganondorf and Bowser for old times' sake.
I understand what you're saying, and yes the player's different moves make them different, and people may like that, but what I was really talking about the way they FEEL. In the air, every character feels basically the same, at least compared to the vast differences in feel they had in Melee.

I am far from a delusional, misinformed whack-job haha.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
naw my main is toon link for sure

im having trouble with finding a secondary...

ANY HELP?

pit, fox, rob, king dedede, marth, Meta knight

WHICH ONE!?!?!? =(

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
Since Toon Link is a camping *****, I'd say someone offensive. Possibly Marth.

Or Dedede cause he rocks hard.

LOLhahaDEAD

Smash Cadet
I'm having an extremely difficult time. I think I just need to play more before I can make a final decision.

Top Bottom