• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips for this Link?

Kennahh

Smash Apprentice
Confirmed, sending Magikarp. (Killingworth, CT)
I watched the Captain Falcon video and it looks like she needs to use WAY more N-air. There were a ton of times that she used Z-air instead of N-air, when N-air would have been far more effective, especially against someone with nonexistent priority like Captain Falcon. Also, Spin attack should be used way less on the stage as an attack, and more bombs should be used more effectively, as the bombs she did use were used poorly.
A bit more jab canceling would also be a good idea. She needs to learn how to DI as well. Link has a bad recovery, so DI is essential for survival. She's a bit too cautious too, when someone is standing there shielding, it's usually not your best idea to spot dodge. Even though Link is not a paragon of close-quarters combat, aggression is still fairly important. Not too bad for a beginniner though.
Tell her to check out these videos and guides, I use them myself and they're quite helpful.
The Art of Link (Link Advanced Technique Tutorial by Izaw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0u3sUOShcI
Sasook's Guide for Link Beginners
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187670
Nintenjoe's Advanced Link Guide
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=194177
The Link Question and Answer Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199467

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Uhhh, I saw lots of random jumps and random attacks.

Tell her to make sure her attacks will connect, and to stop shorthopping about randomly like that. Also, don't abuse spotdodge because longer lasting hitboxes and jabs will punish those.

Also, there was too much rolldodging at times and moments where she just randomly spotdodged even when the opponent was across the stage. Shorthop your projectiles to solidify your spam game, and I want to start seeing some tilts, mostly Utilt. Try not to use Up-B on the stage so much as an attack either.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to start using SH aerials, Fair, Nair and Bair are great and try working on your ledge games, your actions were kind of simple and predictable. Try ledgehopping.

If you main Link, you're going to have to work much harder to win.

Not a bad start, just some habits that need correcting.

D

Deleted member

use more projectiles, don't roll so much, work on spacing DI and punishing

DeTa

Smash Apprentice
Your friend has very nice control over Link. I would suggest using more Nairs, though, and not just zair; A good Link player always uses the full move set to turn the tables in a game ;)
I disagree with Kennahh, I think your friend has very good DI. Tell her to work on her aerial attacks a little more. After all, Link isn't only constrained to attacks on the ground.
There were often times where she did not connect her smashes to her opponent. I recommend limiting her smashes unless she is sure she would be able to hit her target. However, there were times in the batlte that she connected a smash and made me think, "wow, that smash was very nicely timed." This is also true for her Dairs. Sometimes I wonder what she is thinking when she randomly Dairs lol, but that last Dair in the second battle was very nice.
My last suggestion would be to use bombs a little more and fill the stage with pwnage explosions that would blow the opponent out of the universe like when two falcon punches collide creating an imploding solar system that explodes like a million stars exploding causing a chain reaction that leads to the sun exploding causing the world to end and new life to begin in another solar system where two other cataclysmic things occur and blow up the universe and create a black hole in which all things get sucked into and can never escape etc. etc. etc. (except for Link, because he's mad awesome) and make her opponent say "WHAT THE F-" *explosion* :) like a mad nub
Overall, awesome Link. My FCs here if she wants to fight dittos. :D

Abyss Master

Smash Rookie
She spotdodges nicely so she should mak more use of those than all the rolling. She should have made much more use of her projectiles, namely the bomb. She uses the grab a little often, mostly in situations where there's a lot of movement, and it fails to connect most of the time, so she gets easily punished. The same applies to the spin attack - she should use it only when she's certain that it'll connect, and preferably when the opponent has a higher percentage. Utilizing bomb techniques will also prove very helpful, I'm certain.

There's also an awful lot of random fsmashes here, and overall random movements. She should definitely implement nair into her style too.

sasook

Smash Champion
@DeTa - nah, her DI needs work.

that would blow the opponent out of the universe like when two falcon punches collide creating an imploding solar system that explodes like a million stars exploding causing a chain reaction that leads to the sun exploding causing the world to end and new life to begin in another solar system where two other cataclysmic things occur and blow up the universe and create a black hole in which all things get sucked into and can never escape etc. etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syLIpK1_ltw

Too many fsmashes, and it seemed like a ton of random moves. I think some more SH aerials are needed, too much rolling/spot dodging. Not enough bombs.....pretty much everything that needs to be said has been said already.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I think I know her on AiB...not sure.

Anyway, she does her Up+B ground spin attack way too much. That move is too risky for the places she normally chose to use them. It contains a lot of lag if it whiffs or gets power-shielded.

Both her and the Captain Falcon were insane rollers. Omg. I was watching the fight and predicting with maybe 3 out of 4 accuracy when Captain was going to roll behind her. The fun thing to do is to just aim in the direction they're going to roll in...it's kind of cocky but when you roll this much good players start picking up on it fast. It's very very predictable....

She spot dodges too much too. Those multiple succession spot dodges were leaving me a little baffled...

Her projectile game was mostly of only her boomerang and they were far and in between. Moar bombs and arrow cancels while landing.

Whenever she got knocked off a stage she never pulled out bombs on the ascent of her double jump...and never ever tossed out her boomerang once to prevent a possible gimp. She MUST at least throw out her boomerang to prevent people from getting an easy kill while she's recovering...the bomb is optional but there's no reason not to pull it out most of the time, use it for a possible edgeguard by chucking it at them in conjunction with a boomerang or just straight up holding onto it incase the person manages to gimp you with an attack...it might blow up and save you.

Captain Falcon is definitely Zairable and she should have been using it more.

Moar jab cancels into > any move Link has or into a grab which is usually the most reliable choice and it quickly starts eating up your stale moves queue with your non-kill moves to refresh your kill moves.

Since she counter picked Castle Siege...a good tip to know when you reach the statues is to do single hit jab cancels on it to remove your kill moves from being stale. It'll refresh things in between when you're both greatly seperated. I saw her using her F-Smash like candy while down there staling it up while whiffing.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
use more projectile spam. she needs to learn how to space and to stop doing random spin attacks and fsmashes AND grabs. using the jab cancel helps and i saw none of that (correct me if i'm wrong). and rolling is easily punishable against smart opponents so be careful. and she needs more nair and bair. if i sound too harsh or something then forgive me but that's what i see that needs improving.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
She could definitely use some more Nair. It's one of Link's best moves and really should be almost abused (I know I use too much Nair lol). Overall, just more aerials. Nice lack of Dair though. That's a normal mistake by a lot of people. There was definitely more call for Dsmash. It's good for punishing rolls. Speaking of rolls, little too much of that. It's good to roll but not all the time.

Also needs less Up B. Grounded Up B is ok but should only be used if you're confident it will hit. It's a nice move for killing but should be replaced with something else. Speaking of killing, I saw way too much Fmsash for the kill. Fsmash, sure is probably the most reliable killing move being one of the strongest. But it good predictable after awhile.

Needs some more projectiles. I thought it was a bit lacking of bombs. Bombs combo sexy like. Easy set up is like Jump Down throw bomb-> Fair. Or nair. It's good.

Use less grab. Grabbing is pretty sweet, especially Link's because of its amazing range with it but it's risky. Really only use it if you're confident you'll grab.

Overall, ok Link. Just follow everyone else stuff.

(Haven't made a post like this in awhile lol)

Little Devil

Smash Cadet
Pull out a bomb when dropping through a platform.
Dont use three jabs when none of them hit (and the enemy is behind you...). Same for Fsmash.
Do not UpB miles away from your enemy. Same for grabbing.
Use tilts, Utilt is quick AND strong!
Use Bair and Nair.
Do not throw boomerangs or bombs towards the statues :p
Learn DI.
In this order, from less to more important^^
Nice Link, btw. Sometimes predicable, but well rounded.

Vader

Smash Rookie
maybe improve edgeguarding. i like to jump off stage every once and a while to try to nair their recovery or at least try to edgehog. be more careful with the grabbing.

sasook

Smash Champion
Captain Falcon is definitely Zairable and she should have been using it more.
More? She was doing nothing but. It's just that she'd whiff 'em all because she couldn't space it properly. Every time she should have naired, she zaired and missed.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Wow, she's not bad. I don't know any female Link mains.....actually I'm the only Link main I know.

She needs to take advantage of the openings. I saw SEVERAL instances when she could have smacked him with a strong attack but she shielded or rolled instead. Actually, she rolls and stays defensive way too much. Link has one of the best dodges in the game, but his roll is not great, so she shouldn't roll too much.

Tell her to ramp up her projectile game and use more n-air though. And try not to even ATTEMPT an f-smash unless they are at a reasonable % (it should be saved to KO, unless there's another method), also, she shouldn't throw out laggy moves like up+B, d-air, and f-smash unless she thinks it will connect. Don't use those attacks to 'anticipate' opponents because if they miss....well there will be some pain. Just use projectiles and quick attacks like u-tilt, u-smash, jab cancels, and AIMED z-air to rack up damage. Also, stop missing grabs lolol

(Maybe she should airdodge into z-air after a shorthop to hit a bit lower. She misses z-air too much)

D-smash should also be used a little more often. It's somewhat quick and can catch rollers. And it can KO.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
seems pretty new to competetive smash tbh. Anyways, she needs to stop using fsmash, she uses it like its link's jab <.< she iss using zair but shes completely replacing her aireals with it. Zair is meant to space and annoy the opponent. She needs to also learn her AT's. Start off with DAC or jab cancelling. That brings me to another thing: use utilit, it's one of link's best moves. Also needs to work on spam game and she needs to work on zair spacin; if shes gonna use it, it should be to space

Top Bottom