• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing City Folk

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I was thinking about getting animal crossing: City Folk as I enjoyed the day I played the original. Would any of you guys recomend it?
Yes, definitely. Especially if you haven't played Wild World. While it's great to me even having played all of them, City Folk bears a lot of similarities to Wild World, so if you haven't played it it'll feel COMPLETELY new. The only thing you won't appreciate as much is the return of holidays.
(If you have played Wild World, just ignore me; from your post, it seemed like you were saying you played just the original.)

It's a very fun game, really. Wild World was a little...meh, but this one is really good.

A_man13

Smash Master
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

It is a fun game that you will play every day like ROUTINE!
That's almost the part where I might not be allowed to get it. My parents consider most of everything an RPG nowerdays and having a game where you get to play every day isn't going to help that feeling going away. That and the Wii speak, which anything voice chat they hate with a passion.

M.K

Level 55
That's almost the part where I might not be allowed to get it. My parents consider most of everything an RPG nowerdays and having a game where you get to play every day isn't going to help that feeling going away. That and the Wii speak, which anything voice chat they hate with a passion.
1. Your parents are wrong.

2. You don't play it for 2-3 hours. Maybe 30 minutes tops

3. Wii Speak is optional.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Firus.

Can I have your FC?

I'd like to visit your town that day.
You can certainly have my FC, I'd be glad to visit each others' towns.

As for that day, that might be iffy...you could visit, but I assume you'd want to do it for the bonus points, and if all goes well I'll be buying out the entire store, so...that might not do you much good, unless you want to buy a bunch of stationery.

My suggestions:

Don't get WiiSpeak at all. It might be nice or convenient, but it's really not necessary -- I didn't get it myself. And if you ever play online with someone, if they have WiiSpeak, ask them to not use it. That'll make your parents feel better.

As for the playing every day...as MK said, every day there's not a WHOLE lot to do. You can easily be playing for only a half an hour a day. But if your parents would still have a problem, which it sounds like they would, then I think the solution, however unethical to some, is time traveling. It feels like cheating but if you want to play twice a week, just backtrack to the day after you last played and play through half the week one day, the rest of it the other day. That way your parents'll feel better about it and you won't have to play every day.

Those are just my personal suggestions, but you obviously know your parents better than I do, so if that still won't help, then...it still won't help. But if you can get your parents to be okay with it, I'd definitely recommend the game.

A_man13

Smash Master
*Runs to add game to wish list*

This looks like it's going to be the best wii titles for a while, so might as well ask for it for christmas or my B-Day. I guess I won't be spending all of my time playing LBP on the PS3 this christmas.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm so lame, I just realize that theres an AC movie, lol. I'm going to watch it now. :D

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I tested that disinterest theory. The one where a balloon comes after you use disinterest.
It actually worked! A balloon came less than 5 minutes after I used it. Another coincidence?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I tested that disinterest theory. The one where a balloon comes after you use disinterest.
It actually worked! A balloon came less than 5 minutes after I used it. Another coincidence?
Really? Awesome.

It has yet to work for me again, but...yeah. If we've had three coincidences now, I think it's definitely worth the chances.

Also, I've found that you seem to have lucky days and unlucky days...on some days, I'll find two balloons within a very short time. Other days, I get no balloons whatsoever.
This has happened to me twice -- once the first time, once yesterday. Unfortunately, I only got a Pear Dresser and Quince Bonsai from the most recent ones, but I'll take free stuff any day of the week.

M.K

Level 55
I just want to make sure before I get this game...Are town tunes in this game? If so, are they altered in any way from WW?
Yes, they are. They are the same from the original and WW.
Mine is Dreamland from Kirby!
I'm trying to get alot of things into my museum. I am donating all my fossils and fish.
The dab looks soooo cool in the tank!

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
ok it happened again, I'm not even kidding. I randomly decided to use disinterest and another balloon came. I got a 1 up mushroom ^_^

Disinterest officially "summons" balloons lol
Everyone should try it out!

EDIT: 1 up mushrooms don't look as cool as I thought they would... >_>
Anyone want it?
Actually my brother might want it, I'll save it for now.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I have some extra Harvest Stuff that I'll probably be selling today.

Come and buy them!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
ok it happened again, I'm not even kidding. I randomly decided to use disinterest and another balloon came. I got a 1 up mushroom ^_^

Disinterest officially "summons" balloons lol
Everyone should try it out!

Wow, really? Awesome, I guess it wasn't just a coincidence.
I did try the Disinterest emote a while ago and about 2 minutes later, I found a balloon (just a Bug Zapper, though).

EDIT: 1 up mushrooms don't look as cool as I thought they would... >_>
Anyone want it?
Actually my brother might want it, I'll save it for now.
Hm...well, if your brother doesn't want it and you still want to give it away/sell it, I'll take it. I'm trying to build up the Mario set.

No news yet on my Samus helmet -- as of now, I'm backtracked to the Harvest Festival and working on that (I didn't play City Folk the past few days). Maybe if I can get enough duplicate furniture (I don't want to sell non-duplicates for collecting purposes) and sell them, I can make enough money for it.

EDIT: I got the Golden Slingshot! I don't know why, since I've only shot down like, 5 presents, but I got it. And interestingly enough, the Golden Slingshot doesn't come down in a present like normal -- what happens is you see the Golden Slingshot tied to three (that's right, three) gold balloons. You shoot all of the balloons to get the Golden Slingshot.

EDIT2: Oddly enough, I just got to test it out for the first time...that's my third (counting the slingshot itself) present in one day...and I started on the Harvest Festival a few days ago and got two presents, so that means...a total of five in one day? Wow. Still no more Mario items yet, though. Just an office chair.

EDIT3: Wow, I did it AGAIN. I used the Disinterest emote shortly before, so that probably had an impact on it. Keep in mind, this is still the same day...fortunately, it's a Mario item this time; a cannon (I almost sold it thinking it was a normal cannon). Awesomely enough, when you interact with it in your house, it fires a Bullet Bill. Awesome.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, this is RIDICULOUS, albeit in a good way.

I'm on my FIFTH PRESENT in ONE SITTING. I just found two more within about 10 minutes of each other. One of them was a Koopa Shell.

I'm not complaining, but JEEZ. 5 in one sitting? I've been using the Disinterest emote every so often, so that might have an impact. I also have my Golden Slingshot equipped and randomly fire for no reason every so often. Could that be impacting it?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I know I'm posting a lot here tonight.

Anyways, here's a sum-up of my day of Animal Crossing:

A) By the end of the day, I've gotten six presents. In one sitting. One was a Cannon, one was a Koopa Shell, one was an Office Chair, one was a Jasmine Bonsai, one was a Pink Box, and the Golden Slingshot. Not a bad day in this department at all.

B) After backtracking to the Harvest Festival and going through the process for hours on end, I built up the entire Harvest set including the flooring and wallpaper. I also got a metric ton of extras which I sold for some extra cash.

C) From a combination of a few fish, furniture from presents, but mostly extra Harvest pieces, I've racked up 108,000 bells with a little bit of change! So tomorrow, I'll be changing the date back to normal and buying the crap out of Nookington's. Samus Helmet, here I come!

So in other words, AWESOME day.

M.K

Level 55
Yeah, I know I'm posting a lot here tonight.

Anyways, here's a sum-up of my day of Animal Crossing:

A) By the end of the day, I've gotten six presents. In one sitting. One was a Cannon, one was a Koopa Shell, one was an Office Chair, one was a Jasmine Bonsai, one was a Pink Box, and the Golden Slingshot. Not a bad day in this department at all.

B) After backtracking to the Harvest Festival and going through the process for hours on end, I built up the entire Harvest set including the flooring and wallpaper. I also got a metric ton of extras which I sold for some extra cash.

C) From a combination of a few fish, furniture from presents, but mostly extra Harvest pieces, I've racked up 108,000 bells with a little bit of change! So tomorrow, I'll be changing the date back to normal and buying the crap out of Nookington's. Samus Helmet, here I come!

So in other words, AWESOME day.
^^ Lucky you!
You wanna know how MY day went?

1. My sister wants to see my character. She goes to Shampoodle and gets me a red-hair buzzcut. I look horrible.

2. My clock is set forward. I'm incredibly anal about this.

3. Able Sisters close the exact time that I press A to open the door.

4. I still don't have a Luigi Hat

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
1. My sister wants to see my character. She goes to Shampoodle and gets me a red-hair buzzcut. I look horrible.
Agh, that sucks. Do you have a hat? Wear it if you do.

2. My clock is set forward. I'm incredibly anal about this.
Ah, you're anti-time traveling? I should be, but...meh. I only have some morals when it comes to Animal Crossing. At least I've restrained myself from skipping to Toy Day and then moving to Summer, as much as I want to.

3. Able Sisters close the exact time that I press A to open the door.
Wow, are you serious? That really sucks but at the same time that's hilarious.

4. I still don't have a Luigi Hat
I'm looking out for it -- if I find it, you'll be the first to know and I'll give it to you free-of-charge.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I'm actually against Time traveling as well, but I do it once I've played the game alot to keep things interesting.

Also, I have a Luigi hat ^_^ I wear it all the time. I'll just go ahead and order another one for you =D

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
Whats the point in playing the game if you're just going to time travel. It defeats the purpose of the game. You'll most likely get everything in a few weeks.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
you know , i used to think this whole game series was horrible, but then i finally played city folk at my friends house yesterday and found it very addicting. i still dont understand why though. (sorry if this is off topic or completely random)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Whats the point in playing the game if you're just going to time travel. It defeats the purpose of the game. You'll most likely get everything in a few weeks.
Time traveling doesn't necessarily mean going through every season and through every holiday to get things. In that case, you are defeating the purpose of the game. But moving a day ahead to get to a sale? Moving back so you can attend a holiday you weren't able to on the day of? Time traveling has its uses, especially if you have a life and can't play every day. Some people are still against it, including one of my friends, but as long as you're not doing extreme time traveling I don't see why there's such a problem with it.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
how exactly do you get the nintendo items I have been hearing about? Are they just randomly in the shops or do you have to do something special to get them?

Anyone want to give me stuff to make me feel special when I get this game on christmas?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Is the Rafflesia still in this game?
Yes.

Ugh, I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I compiled about 126,000 bells by the end, and after going to the sale and buying out EVERYTHING except for the stationery (and a few packs of that), I still only have somewhere around 2,300 points and 101,000 bells left to spend. In other words, I'm completely screwed and I'm not getting that Samus Helmet yet...

I can sit there buying stationery for hours on end, and I probably will, but in the end I'm going to need more money, I think. They sell for 160 bells a pack, but the points don't round up -- I get 5 points (with bonus points) per pack. That extra 60 bells doesn't get taken into account, so I'm losing 60 bells every time.

And either way, I'll still have to sit there pressing A for the entire day to get enough points. Who would've thought that it would be Tom Nook's cheap prices, not the money I have, that stops me from getting enough points?

Yaya

Smash Champion
I can also confirm the Disinterest spawning Baloons theory, 3 minutes after I used it I got a Block Floor =D

Amide

Smash Lord
I feel even better agreeing with knowing who said it. =D

Agreed.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
I've never actually played Animal Crossing, but the whole thing doesn't exactly play to my interests. I've played Harvest Moon and other RPG's, but I've never had the urge to pick this one up.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I've never actually played Animal Crossing, but the whole thing doesn't exactly play to my interests. I've played Harvest Moon and other RPG's, but I've never had the urge to pick this one up.
And...your point is...?

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
That's what I thought. A game where you fish, catch bugs, decorate a house, pay off a mortgage, and interact with NPC neighbors. Meh. Then I played Wild World and got hooked. Give it a try. It's definitely worth it.

Top Bottom