• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ANCIENT SMASH 64 INDEX - Rest well, old friend. Star King will forever be Dirk King.

MikeMx7f

Smash Rookie
So the "Be-all End-all All-in-one Project64k Vista Edition Pack, with sparkles" throws two errors at me on load: "Could Not load Audio plugin.." and "Current controller dll could not be used please select another one." It then starts up, but if I try to load the ROM, it throws those errors two more times then hangs. It's the same whether I use Project64.exe or Project64KVE.exe.

I'm on a Windows 7 computer, if that's relevant. Anyone know what I can try to do to get this working? The mupen beta thing works fine, but no one on the servers uses it, so I can't play vs. anybody.

MikeMx7f

Smash Rookie
Thanks! I was here a few years ago, but I don't remember my password and don't have access to my old e-mail account. x.x

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
So the "Be-all End-all All-in-one Project64k Vista Edition Pack, with sparkles" throws two errors at me on load: "Could Not load Audio plugin.." and "Current controller dll could not be used please select another one." It then starts up, but if I try to load the ROM, it throws those errors two more times then hangs. It's the same whether I use Project64.exe or Project64KVE.exe.

I'm on a Windows 7 computer, if that's relevant. Anyone know what I can try to do to get this working? The mupen beta thing works fine, but no one on the servers uses it, so I can't play vs. anybody.
I've concluded this is an error inherent in the emulator itself. I made that "Be-all End all, etc." pack and my guess is that the emulator talks to each computer separately, so while that pack may work for me, it won't load the plugins properly for other computers.

The solution? Manually pick them yourself (*gasp* THE HORROR). Load Project64KVE and hit OK for the error messages.

Options>Settings --> select a graphics plugin (Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6) and a controller plugin (N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2 2.2 beta, although you may choose 1.83 or 1.61 in that order if you're having trouble).

Hit OK, load the ROM, and everything should be fine and dandy.

Killimano23

Smash Cadet
oh my god honestly?

the download from the project 64 put two malware viruses onto my computer...

they weren't that hard to get rid of but still.... wtf?!

Why is that even allowed to be on this site?

M!nt

Smash Champion
probably false alarms, i doubt semp would uplaod it with viruses on it.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
jesus, there are no ****damn viruses in that download

christ, people

EDIT: i have no clue what anti-virus software you guys are running, but it's most likely inferior to MSE+Malwarebytes if you're getting false positives

hands down the best virus scanner is Malwarebytes' Antimalware, and this is the log file from the scan of the Project64kVE folder:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4136

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

1/15/2012 12:39:25 AM
mbam-log-2012-01-15 (00-39-25).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 109
Time elapsed: 9 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

100% clean, not to mention i've checked and tested every plugin and file included, and they all work and do the job they're advertised to do. all downloaded from reputable websites and sources. i wouldn't have included them otherwise.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Aha! I was looking for that website a while back!

Curious. I remember Sangoku had an issue with the Billard_XInput.dll, which was merely a barebones Xbox controller plugin that has since been outdated. Well, I removed just that, and rescanned, and instead of 20/39 antiviruses detecting, I only got 8/39 (Nod32 said it was fine). It should be noted that when I straight up deleted the Plugin folder, I still got 1/39.

I'm positive that all of these files are safe, but I suppose I'll remove some of the more obscure plugins that are the cause of the false positives.

[2] Okay, after removing the obscure plugins (Daedalus, Direct64, schibo, etc.) and leaving all the 1964, Jabo, Glide, Rice, and NRage plugins (I think we can all agree those are legit), VirusTotal turns up a 6/39, which isn't much of an improvement over just deleting the Billard plugin.

[3] Now, after removing ALL plugins, except the online-play essentials (Jabo3D8 1.6, [JaboInput 1.61, NRage 1.61, 1.83, 2.2], Azimer's Audio 0.30), I got 2/30. ****in' eSafe thinks everything's a virus.

---------------

HERE'S THE DEAL

1) Download the current pack posted: it has every plugin ever created, and would be best suited toward those interested in the development of N64 emulation and its history, as well as alternative plugin options.

2) Download this version: the troublesome Billard plugin removed, as well as some other old plugins, leaving just the well-established 1964, Jabo, Glide, Rice, and NRage plugins. You will still have many options to choose from, and can play with the different versions of each plugin until you find one that works for you.

Project64kVE [Full]

3) Download the super bare-bones, strictly set-up for ONLINE PLAY pack: It has only what you need for online play. No fancy graphics (i.e. Glide), no fancy sound. It just works.

Project64kVE [Standard]

---------------

[Full] might turn up some false positives, but probably not.
[Standard] absolutely shouldn't, since it has even less than the download we used to have up.

Conclusion: Billard_XInput.dll seems to be the cause of most of the false positives. It must be something unusual or never-seen-before in its coding that's throwing up red flags.

Killimano23

Smash Cadet
I downloaded the project 64 thing but I'm not sure where I get the actual SSB game for it. Is it somewhere in all these folders or is there a place I have to download it?

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
you have to download the rom. i dont think im llegally aloud to give you the site? theres some crazy rule like that.. idk. whaaattteevverrr.

valoem

Smash Journeyman
I noticed something important that's missing, PAL version differences can someone add that?

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Just played this kid on kailera named "16-0 can you beat me?" Oh my **** he said he was super good and he could "beat Isai" and at that point I got suspicious. I played him and was beating his ***. He had one life left and I had 2. Just as I was about to beat him he quit and said I desynched as an excuse to quit then told everyone that he beat me. God that annoys the crap out of me!

M!nt

Smash Champion
I believe that would be smasher, but who cares cry more.

its just a game :troll:

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
He's a sore loser of a smasher. **** I knew he couldn't have been that good, and that's coming from me who doesn't win very often on kailera. He really wasn't all that good, just ****ed people up so they'd think so. He's probably 12.

Battlecow

Play to Win
That's smasherx74

He's trolling

He does that a lot. Brown mario with 58 ping is kind of a giveaway tho

M!nt

Smash Champion
BTW aa you still haven't fixed semps link in the op.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Haha, out of the three times that link was posted in the OP, he fixed the one in the middle of the other two. :b

how'd ya miss the giant one on top with the bouncing rainbow sheep?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Anytime I try to start an online match, it tries to load up the ROM and Project 64 crashes. Anyone have advice?

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
Hmm, I tried that one and was having errors, tried it again today though and it seems fine. Maybe I didn't update my Kaillera the first time

Sangoku

Smash Master
There ARE errors when you open it or when you go to settings. However it DOES work perfectly. The link to the "minimal" version doesn't work anymore btw.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
My emulator (I downloaded dandan's one, also same situation with PJ64KVE) crashes when I try to play with an audio plugin both offline and online. I got the audio error message popping up when I opened emulator which is typical, however when I tried "No Sound" and I can play SSB offline but not online and the error message doesn't pop up when I load up PJ64k/PJ64KVE

However, when I load netplay the audio error message comes back (I think it's trying to load an audio plugin for some reason, the default ones anyway instead of No Sound) and trying to play a match on a server or P2P crashes my emulator. When I load up PJ64k after the crash it goes back to the other audio plugins instead of No Sound

Any idea on how to fix this? PJ64 1.7 + AQZ is pretty laggy for me but I'm hoping PJ64K will be alright, I remember the only problems being desyncs and frame delay from trying to play in American servers instead of lag spikes from someone who lives in the UK near where I do

The crashing has happened pretty much every time we've tried to play on both our computers, we're both on XP

ballin4life

Smash Hero
just downloaded project64kVE from the OP. it crashes when i try to run SSB64. could this be due to the plugins? what plugins should i use? no plugins were selected by default.

I also get error messages when I open the settings menu:
"Failed to load N-Rage Input 2.2.2 Beta.dll"
"Failed to load RiceVideo 6.1.3DX9.dll"

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
just downloaded project64kVE from the OP. it crashes when i try to run SSB64. could this be due to the plugins? what plugins should i use? no plugins were selected by default.

i encountered this problem as well when helping a noob the other day. the solution was to delete the .dll's

didn't look much further into it though...

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
My emulator (I downloaded dandan's one, also same situation with PJ64KVE) crashes when I try to play with an audio plugin both offline and online. I got the audio error message popping up when I opened emulator which is typical, however when I tried "No Sound" and I can play SSB offline but not online and the error message doesn't pop up when I load up PJ64k/PJ64KVE

However, when I load netplay the audio error message comes back (I think it's trying to load an audio plugin for some reason, the default ones anyway instead of No Sound) and trying to play a match on a server or P2P crashes my emulator. When I load up PJ64k after the crash it goes back to the other audio plugins instead of No Sound

Any idea on how to fix this? PJ64 1.7 + AQZ is pretty laggy for me but I'm hoping PJ64K will be alright, I remember the only problems being desyncs and frame delay from trying to play in American servers instead of lag spikes from someone who lives in the UK near where I do

The crashing has happened pretty much every time we've tried to play on both our computers, we're both on XP
By default, whenever netplay is launched, PJ64k will always load the graphics and sound plugins by NAME, and not by the file you specify. This means you have to rename the plugins you want to load for netplay. I don't know off the top of my head which .dll is the aziaudio (old driver), but if you can figure out what the name of that .dll is, and rename the no-audio .dll as such, netplay will automatically load the no-audio plugin.

They really need to release a new version that fixes this... :( My computer remembers which plugins I selected, but since all the computers in the world aren't a collective, yours doesn't know what I chose and instead fishes around randomly (or so it seems) and has trouble loading plugins on launch. You can just pick plugins yourself, though, so it doesn't harm anything.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
ok it works now thanks

add recommended plugins to the OP? as i said the emulator does not work without the right plugins chosen
It does work (offline) with any of the plugins chosen (provided you know what you're doing with the more obscure plugins), but netplay is super finicky and defaults to only a few plugins. Really, the only thing you can change for netplay is the input plugin. I mean, you can change video and sound plugins, but it's an obnoxious renaming process and really unnecessary when the old AziAudio and Jabo 3D8 1.6 get the job done just fine.

Everybody's computer is different, so different plugins work for different people.

Alternatively, you can use smasherx's modified version, which fixes the plugin problem. :awesome: :troll:

but seriously, he fixed it

Top Bottom