• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one that feels bad to Ftilt lock?

demodemo

Smash Ace
Everytime I tiltlock my friends, i can hear them sigh and start fidgetting with their controllers frantically.

after like a bo3 or something they already don't feel like playing, or play bad on purpose

Since these are all friendlies, I now just don't tilt-lock altogether, and do a maximum of 2 or 3 before following up.

so yeah, when you are playing friendlies, do you tiltlock?

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
I used to tilt-lock when I played friendlies with friends, but they also got frustrated in a similar way and they kind of feel discouraged from playing or play bad on purpose. They always felt it was really cheap since its easy damage. I felt guilty using it after a while since they like playing Ness, Lucas, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Toon Link, Link, and Marth. If you look closely at that list, Sheik has the advantage against all of them, except for Marth. Tilt locking isn't even necessary to win those matchups.

They think Sheik is OP :p Heh (With those characters, she probably is... haha :D)

I've been teaching them how to DI it, but they still know its a free 20-30% nonetheless. Its hard getting better if you don't utilize the tilt-lock > following up since Tilt-Locking is one of Sheik's most reliable forms of damage that works on a good cast of characters. I typically end the lock at around 2-4 tilts to save them the frustration, but I try to implement different parts of my Sheik game to make up for it. I do use it occasionally since I'm a good friend and want them to get better, as its probably better for them to learn how to deal with it than them taking out their anger on a random Sheik user ^___^

slickmasterizzy

Smash Apprentice
yeah against friends i just teach them how to get out of it. but if its a matchup thats exetremely hard to get out of i do 2-3 max then stop.

even in nonfriendlies ill usually only do f-tilt 2 times before i u-tilt or some other move to knock them away.

when i win i want to feel good im happy someone made a thread like this. i was feeling kind of lonely playing shiek not to win but in a way that made me feel good to win.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I would imagine all of the older competitive Sheik user are going to say no to this as we use to chain grab, dtilt to fair and used needles to crush are opponents will to fight.

Although, now a days when I fight Captain Falcon user I usually have a rule about tilt locking him. Ever since Melee I've always felt bad about how sheik could beat the living **** out of Captain falcons even if the captain falcon player was much better then the sheik main and although this didn't stop me from gaying out on him I did feel bad so now a days when I fight the weaken and seemly useless Captain Falcon I just don't have the heart to tilt lock him...unless I start to lose.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I do whatever I feel like. Honestly, I've played a Wolf player who made it extremely hard for me to land even one ftilt on him, so I figure getting tiltlocked is adequate punishment for getting ftilt'd.

I used to think I could just save ftilt locks for tournament play, except it eventually warped my style to the point that I didn't even go for them in matches that mattered. So... yeah. If anything, it'll make my friends better at avoiding it.

Charoo

Smash Champion
u should use it. Especially when playing with friends. Better for them to know how to deal with it in friendly instead of finding out the hard way in a tourney match.

my friends and i enjoy it much more when some1 is stuck in the chain tilts. Cause it's so funny to us haha

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Screw that! I tilt lock all day...Its one of Sheik's greatest weapons. Sure my friend sighs and says "F*ck that tilt-****" , but I do it anyways, and then he goes on and exploits some thing that his character can do, in which case I say "F*ck that ****...such BS".

...then we both laugh at the end and say "Screw you". Then we play more matches.

Good Times. Healthy Relationships.

Anyone who understands anything about the game, or competitive play should never really complain about tilt locks or chain grabs. To a point, in friendlies, yeah if they start getting REALLY pissed, you might want to change your character and give your friends some time to cool down...but really it shouldn't be an issue.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Think of how luigi, samus, mario, bowser, and DK feel going against dedede.
...that's the way it goes man. If your main can be infinite chain grabbed by DeDeDe, you might not want to use them in a tournament agaisnt a DeDeDe player. There's really nothing more that can be said about it. People WILL chain grab you to death in tournaments (I know...it's happened, and it was gay...but I learned my lesson.)

It's not a matter of whether something is deemed "fair" in a tournament, it's whether or not it's LEGAL in a tournament. Some people wouldn't use the chain grab in a tournament, because they think it's cheap, but see what those same people think when they are 2 stocks down in a losers final bracket...

You just have to be prepared for all possible contingencies. I don't feel bad about the Tilt Lock at all considering it is escapable with proper DI (with most characters) , and although very good, is not game-shattering, or else sheik would be higher tier and winning tournaments.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
Speaking or legallty if that's a word i think... anyways wont' chain jacketing be illegal or what. OH yeah i find tilt locking as if you get caught in it that's your problem so i don't feel bad just teached friends how to DI out if and properly space and predict when i tiltlock if they predict wrong then awell

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I personally play however I feel like playing in friendlies, since everyone I play against does too, and my neighbor that I battle a lot already has epic DI so I can't tilt lock him for very long anyways.

Only thing about me in friendlies is I don't use my Ice Climbers much in friendlies, I only use them for practicing or serious fights.

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
I feel ya ma, i also do about 2-3 then grab or f-air them, they get sooooooooo mad and start yelling WTF a lot

S2

Smash Lord
I don't feel bad, not a single bit of remorse for tilt-locking.

You shouldn't, given Sheik's low priority on moves and inability to kill at low percents without a gimp.

That being said, I'd simply not play Sheik against your friends Demodemo.

The reactions you describe basically tells me that their inexperienced and they have no intention of getting good at the game.

You might as well just play other characters against them. No point dumbing down your playstyle, that's not fun for anyone.

And if they are trying to get good at smash, then call them out on it. No one else is going to take it easy on them just "because".

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I used to feel bad, but then I realized if it ever happened to my friends in say, a tournament or something, they would know what to do. Yes, it's still free damage but at least they could live, so I agree with what S2. Sink or Swim!

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Ive done all my training aginst CPUS, Mostly in melee.

I refrained from using tilt locks in my training matches aginst CPUs, because, well, It worked too well aginst computers. And it wasnt nearly as effective aginst real people.

So it became a habit to advoid ftilt, and its still a habit.

So I dont really feel bad when I do manage to overcome this bad habbit.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
No. Sheik has a huge disadvantage in terms of kill power, so I'm willing to take the edge where I can get it. I will always be honest in terms of telling my opponents how to DI when they complain. But honestly, in terms of "locks", it's much more mundane than any chaingrab and things like the Laser-Lock.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
Look, this is what happens when me and my friends play brawl...
In this order;

-I play Shiek, friends say STOP TILT LOCKING, DONT USE SHIEK
-I play Zelda, STOP DINS' FIRING, DONT USE ZELDA
-I play IceClimbers, STOP CHAINGRABBING, DONT USE IC'S
-I play Falco, STOP CHAINGRABBING AGAIN, DONT USE FALCO
-I play Luigi, STOP UP B-ING, DONT USE LUIGI
-I play Peach, STOP DAIR-ING, DONT USE PEACH

Rogue

Smash Cadet
I don't like ftilt locking or camping, but I think Ankoku's right. If you always play this way, and are trying to place in a tournament scene, you're going to automatically resort to what you're used to. As I re-adapt my playstyle, the friends I play against get frustrated.

Or a friend of mine will readapt to be more campy and *I'll* get frustrated. That's the nature of Brawl right now.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i ftilt lock against friendlies... but only because i can't do it right yet, so it doesn't really matter

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
My brother has anger issues and breaks controllers bi-monthly. I own the Wii, so I try not to make him too angry.

My tilt-locks are limited to about 6 hits. More or less if I feel like it. I just use it to get them up to a decent %, and KO soon afterwards.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I could care less what my friends think, it's a fighting game and your supposed to use your character to their fullest abilities to win. If my friends complain a lot I tell them to use sheik and try to do the same thing on me...it's not unescapable.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yeah, I use it a lot and have almost no remorse about it.

My friend use to kick my butt every time with Wolf when I used to main Marth, but I kick his tail almost every time with Sheik due to ftilt and other stuff.

Now he considers the ftilt 'Cheap' and uses it as a john a lot of the times he loses. I just smile and say, "Noob."

Xero67

Smash Rookie
i feed off their anger. its what i have forward to look to every night when you turn on the game. cept one of my buddies mains marth... the one who gets the most angry plays wolf though so i still get my fix

R3N0

Smash Lord
the answer is yes, you are the only one.

with out it, i wouldn't be playing sheik.

shes pretty weak this time around. you need all the dmg u can get.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
my friends are too good so i use it. we play pretty much for realsies, but without totally shamelesss gimping or camping. we usually apologize after, say, edgehogging an olimar. lol.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Depends. If I'm using it against someone I'm a vastly better than, then I feel bad using a lock on someone I'd beat anyway. If I'm facing someone close to my skill, then screw it, I need all the damage I can get.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
i would feel bad but the amount of crap i have to put up with link especially against falco makes me think otherwise =p

Smasher89

Smash Lord
That ftilt is too good^^, but no reason to complain as I use the ICs who seems to have some possibility to grab that Ftilt.

I like some qoutes on smashbros.com where sakurai (or the translator) said something about everybody wins, and that it doesn´t feel bad to lose in brawl. Things that works in brawl have already make me seen people more frustrated in a couple of months then for 3-4 years in SSBM. XD

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
how can u feel bad about one of Sheik's greatest qualities?

just show a little respect to ur opponent and use other moves to mix it up and there shouldn't be a problem

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Do metaknight players feel bad when they gimp using 5 jumps and a glide ,NO!!!
Do marths feel bad when they tip, NO!!!!!
Do Snakes feel bad when they blow things up, No!!!!!
Do people die when they are killed, YES!!!!!!
So why not ftilt, we are "low tiers" after all. We have use what we got its only fair.

Top Bottom