• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

salaboB

Smash Champion
You bring up an excellent point. If he legitimately had inside information, why didn't he say so when making his predictions?
Maybe he wasn't sure he trusted the source to actually be an insider and didn't want to damage his reputation if he wasn't. People have done much crazier things to try to protect their egos.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Maybe he wasn't sure he trusted the source to actually be an insider and didn't want to damage his reputation if he wasn't. People have done much crazier things to try to protect their egos.
True, but couldn't he have said something about it in his post beforehand? With an anonymous leaker, there'd be no reputaion issues like that.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
1. Yes, it would have lost validity if WFT wasn't on it and that's the point. If his list had only the five others or if he had replaced it with another obvious character, then the fact he didn't know about Wii Fit Trainer would have nipped this in the bud. Like others have said, the fact that she was on there when the very thought had never occurred to anyone else makes it much more credible. A person with inside information would surely know about Wii Fit Trainer being revealed, correct? This person knew WFT would be revealed, so therefore he COULD have inside information. If he didn't know, then obviously he didn't have inside info.
I'm sorry.. I wasn't clear. I mean, if a character OTHER than WFT was actually revealed at e3 and guessed by the leaker, nobody would care. Let's say Chrom were revealed, and the leak had Villager, MM, Chrom, etc included... the leak would never have been this widely believed.

2. I'm not really sure what you were trying to say here... I agree that several you listed have no chance of being in Smash (jury's still out on Ridley). But why would anyone have guessed or claimed that these characters would be at E3? If he really is just a good guesser, no one in their right mind would put any of those characters on their list. On the other hand, a person with inside knowledge would also not put any of those on his list... because they're not the six he was told would be revealed at E3. There would be no reason to put any other characters on his list as the point was to prove he was aware of these inclusions before E3.
The bolded part is my point exactly. the three unrevealed characters are so completely obvious that they make the leak "make sense" after the bombshell of WFT (double entendre) was dropped. So if the leaker had listed a less believable character in the remaining three, nobody would believe the leak, even with it including WFT.
(which is my primary reason for tending to believe that the leaker was legitimate for the first 3 characters and decided to f* with the entire internet by including the other 3, but not making them unbelievable.)

So I guess what I'm saying is that this leak is believable mainly/only because 1) WFT was guessed and 2) the unrevealed characters aren't left-field. That combination bugs me for some reason.

Let me put it like this to illustrate both of my points.. would anybody know/care about this leak if Mii were revealed, instead of WFT? I think they wouldn't...

For your last point, the validity of the leak doesn't hinge on Wii Fit Trainer, as you say. It actually hinges on Pac-Man, Little Mac, and Mii being in the game. Back during Brawl, a previous leak hinged on Ness and Lucario being in and Mewtwo being cut. And it was proven true.
eh difference in wording here. I'm saying the validity of the leak is primarily supported by the inclusion of WFT.

History is indeed repeating itself, as once again we have people not believing a leak and attacking the character of the person who supplied it, just like with Melee and Brawl. I advise everyone to read ChronoBound's analysis on previous events.

First one, second one

I'm not asking you to believe the leak completely, nor am I saying to disregard it. All I ask is that you keep an open mind and not be quick to jump to conclusions. After all, if the leak turns out to be true, then you've been attacking the character and credibility of a fellow Smash fan, just trying to share his knowledge with his fellow fans. How could you live with yourself?

While I don't think this part of the post was necessarily directed at me, I've never attacked anybody's character about this leak... I'm just treating it like the other 90,000 leaks that have proven to be partly true, and taking it with a grain of salt. What we have heard is that the poster got info from an anonymous source and posted it without mentioning the source until after the char reveals.. the leak turned out to be 50% true, and a good number of people suddenly think it's set in stone. I'm not so quick to believe that.
The fact is... people post BS "leaks" on the internet all the time. it's good to question them and analyze the parts that don't sit right.

All that said, I'll never say that I'm 100% certain either way on this issue, because the fact is, we have no idea what Sakurai is doing (as has been repeatedly proven). I'm just pointing out the parts of this that don't sit well to me for whatever reason

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
History is indeed repeating itself, as once again we have people not believing a leak and attacking the character of the person who supplied it, just like with Melee and Brawl. I advise everyone to read ChronoBound's analysis on previous events.

First one, second one

I'm not asking you to believe the leak completely, nor am I saying to disregard it. All I ask is that you keep an open mind and not be quick to jump to conclusions. After all, if the leak turns out to be true, then you've been attacking the character and credibility of a fellow Smash fan, just trying to share his knowledge with his fellow fans. How could you live with yourself?
Keep in mind that during Brawl that there were hundreds of fake leaks out there. There were only three trues ones (and I'm counting the Serebii things which, in retrospective, was basically nothing).

Nothing wrong with being skeptical.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I don't know about it. There isn't a way to know for certain. If WFT wasn't revealed and, say, Mii was and we got WFT much later, I think I'd believe it more. I think all the characters mentioned are very viable and that's why we'll never know for sure. Unless Sakurai comes out with a statement, which won't happen.

So basically, keep an open mind on it. But I do not personally confirm it as a leak.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know about it. There isn't a way to know for certain. If WFT wasn't revealed and, say, Mii was and we got WFT much later, I think I'd believe it more. I think all the characters mentioned are very viable and that's why we'll never know for sure. Unless Sakurai comes out with a statement, which won't happen.

So basically, keep an open mind on it. But I do not personally confirm it as a leak.
If I'm reading this correctly...I'd like to point out that you're basically saying, "if WFT was leaked in advance and then revealed, I'd believe it more." That's pretty much what happened, just in a shorter time period than you probably wanted, and time is irrelevant to the leak's legitimacy.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
If I'm reading this correctly...I'd like to point out that you're basically saying, "if WFT was leaked in advance and then revealed, I'd believe it more." That's pretty much what happened, just in a shorter time period than you probably wanted, and time is irrelevant to the leak's legitimacy.
Maybe i poorly explained myself, so I'll do it alittle better right now:

To say i should believe a leak because he had gotten 3 out of the 6 claims correct (5 of which were heavilty requested characters that made up many predictions and fan rosters) is silly. Everyone believes the leak because of the devasting prediction of the WFT and how 'nobody in there right mind could have guessed her.' (And also because the supposed leaker got her name right).

Smashboards, GameFaqs, the people who visit these sites and stay in the loop, make rosters, and so on, are a small minority of the broad spectrum of people who keep up with this game, not to mention the casuals. I decided to go see if my thoughts were true about where Wii Fit stood as a top seller to support my claims. I believe it is Number Six, trumped by (ofcourse) Mario and Wii Sports games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games

If this person wanted to make an accurate prediction, he/she would not look from the eyes of a fanboy, fanbase or gamer, but from a developer wanting to make a game with iconic characters that represent Nintendos history while trying to please his fanbase at the same time. Mii and WFT resemble characters from popular wii games that have become iconic (WFT pending) and at the end of the Wiis cycle, they kind of made the Wii the success it was. Little Mac and an Animal Crossing rep made up many prediction rosters list since before Brawl (and from research, even Melee), not to mention they are indeed important to Nintendo and are iconic. Pac-Man stems from Namcos development of the game, to also add to the believability factor, and how at that time in early 2013 Pac-Man as a newcomer on prediction lists was becoming a bigger trend. And come on - Megaman? That's been a gamers wet dream since the 90's. :p

Now, say in an alternate universe, that instead of WFT Nintendo gave us Little Mac at E3 2013. We would not even be on this thread right now, would we? If this leaker is indeed a leaker we would skim over him and his ridiculous claim - A WFT? Crazy. The worst part is if he is indeed a leaker and the WFT was instead revealed a month before the game hit stores, we wouldn't have even heard of him, unless he kept coming around trying to prove that he knew about these six newcomers, which admittedly wouldn't be very smart of a leaker to do. What I'm getting at is there may never be a way to know if it is true or not, we can only debate it.

Perhaps with the feelings of disbelief and awe that came with the WFTs reveal many also were willing to believe anything at that point. I never once said that this isn't a leak, it could very well be, but I'm choosing to withhold judgement until more evidence presents itself. This could very well be a true leaker from Namco-Bandai (even though in the initial post they state that it is their 'unlikely prediction') or could be one of the hundreds of fans predictions that, for once, was actually RIGHT! It's not out of the realm of possibility for either to be true.

So, BKupa, that's what I mean if WFT came a bit later instead of at e3. Just as we all would think that if say someone came to us before the VGX (and there was no boxart, just as a hypothetical) and said that Reggie will announce Cranky Kong as a playable character in DKCTF, they must know something. People even saw the boxart and didn't think Cranky was playable.

So, all in all, we'll just have to wait and see. I don't like how people are saying that the other three will be revealed at the next E3 either, but if you want to believe it, go ahead. Being skeptical is just natural for me.

(I just noticed above that Fenrir made the same points I did, and I didn't even look at his until I wrote this little paragraph. So Idk if that's an oopsy daisy or that someones on the same page as me.)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That's a bit clearer, though I find it to be grasping at straws to claim that "people could have guessed WFT because of sales!" If that's the case, why didn't it happen? Why did no one ever bring up the character at all, aside from a single 2008 joke thread on GameFAQs? Unlike the Mii, no one can even claim she's "representative" of her series, at least until Smash rendered her so in the eyes of the public.

Anyways, it's not necessary to believe in Little Mac/Pac-Man/Mii to believe that the leak is legitimate. I'm unsure of those three, but am positive that the other three were legitimately leaked, and that the fate of the others is more up-in-the-air.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
@BKupa666: The reply button isn't working for some reason, but I pointed out a while ago why I think Wii Fit Trainer was never seriously considered. People who play Smash Bros. generally don't care about Wii Fit. Those that do, generally don't care about sites like these.

Basically, none of us wanted WFT, and generally, people don't talk about things they don't care about. Now that doesn't neccesarily mean the leak was fake, just that WFT shouldn't be used as evidence for it.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
@BKupa666: The reply button isn't working for some reason, but I pointed out a while ago why I think Wii Fit Trainer was never seriously considered. People who play Smash Bros. generally don't care about Wii Fit. Those that do, generally don't care about sites like these.

Basically, none of us wanted WFT, and generally, people don't talk about things they don't care about. Now that doesn't neccesarily mean the leak was fake, just that WFT shouldn't be used as evidence for it.
works fine for me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well it debunks the theory that we were only going to get these six, but the three rumored still have fairly decent chances tbh.

I dunno though. This one is hard to drop.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only way this rumor is getting debunked is if Little Mac is confirmed as an AT or Sakurai flat out says that there are no more new 3rd party characters. Even if Rosalina is not one of these 3, it doesn't really affect this rumor very much.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'd be pretty annoyed if Pac-Man makes it ahead of Lloyd Irving. The 3D Pac-Man character model is symbolic of failure in the gaming world. If they managed to pull a G&W and make him 2D somehow, then maybe. At best he should be an assist trophy.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I'd be pretty annoyed if Pac-Man makes it ahead of Lloyd Irving. The 3D Pac-Man character model is symbolic of failure in the gaming world. If they managed to pull a G&W and make him 2D somehow, then maybe. At best he should be an assist trophy.
This statement completely baffles me, as it simply makes no sense. How does a 3D model of a beloved video game character symbolize failure in gaming? The majority of videogame characters in the world, have 3D models, including the majority of the Smash roster. And Smash Bros. is the complete opposite of a failure in gaming.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Ugh, not THIS thread again. This is the main reason why this reveal annoys me. >_>

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Why just one spot?

Clearly, should Little Pac Miis be right, these six are not all of the newcomers.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Literally anyone could have predicted Little Mac and Megaman.

It's the fact that he correctly predicted WFT and Villager that's alarming.

But regardless this rumor does gain more credibility with today's reveal.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Villager wasn't all that surprising. Animal Crossing was long overdue. I guess many predicted Mr. Resetti (which I still think is silly), but Villager wasn't that out there either.

But Wii Fit Trainer. Yeah. What? Awesome, but what? That's the biggest reason this is credible.

I'm pretty much assuming Mii's and Pacman are both in. I've accepted it as fact.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
To say i should believe a leak because he had gotten 3 out of the 6 claims correct (5 of which were heavilty requested characters that made up many predictions and fan rosters) is silly.
In what world was Villager heavily requested?

Before he was revealed there was one tiny thread where an animal crossing hero was suggested. It had only one page and three posts on the second page.
90% of the posts were just people saying that a character like this would never work in SSB or they would prefer Tom Nook.
It was buried on something like page 20 of the forum.

Heavily requested? DEFINITELY NOT
Expected, predicted or requested by more than about 1% of people? No.

Here's the thread for proof which only exploded at the start of page 2 after the reveal:
http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...-he-smashes-faces-in-update-confirmed.324956/

So WFT wasn't the only wild prediction. Villager was very very unexpected and widely believed to have no chance if you read the old mini support thread and look at old prediction rosters.

Last edited:

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
It makes sense that this came back. Predicting WFT is one thing on it's own. This leak is batting 4 for 6 right now and Pac-Man and Miis aren't a big stretch to begin with. WFT was the big one followed by Miis and then Little Mac.

So we'll see how it goes. 4/6 is better odds then most. There's no denying that. But we won't know until the very end. But I wish I knew what else this one source had to say.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
In what world was Villager heavily requested?

Before he was revealed there was one tiny thread where an animal crossing hero was suggested. It had only one page and three posts on the second page.
90% of the posts were just people saying that a character like this would never work in SSB or they would prefer Tom Nook.
It was buried on something like page 20 of the forum.

Heavily requested? DEFINITELY NOT
Expected, predicted or requested by more than about 1% of people? No.

Here's the thread for proof which only exploded at the start of page 2 after the reveal:
http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...-he-smashes-faces-in-update-confirmed.324956/

So WFT wasn't the only wild prediction. Villager was very very unexpected and widely believed to have no chance if you read the old mini support thread and look at old prediction rosters.
A lot of people suggested and wanted Villager originally until Sakurai made his comment about an Animal Crossing character not really being fit for Smash. People lost hope at that point,

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
On other hand, I would be pretty annoyed if a generic and boring Tales of character makes it instead of Pac-Man, who is (or was, at some point) actually relevant to gaming as a whole. Not to mention Pac-Man blends with Nintendo much better than this Lloyid guy.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I'm so conflicted over this... Pacman's one of my most wanted, but Mii's are my least wanted. :(
I was having this discussion today. You gotta recognize that other people are gonna have their most wanted. My buddy is comically furious over Lucario's return. I wasn't a big fan of Lucario, but somebody out there is.

We've all got our pets, and I say we let everyone else have theirs. All characters are in the game for a pretty good reason.

I'm surprised you want Pacman, I didn't think his modern iterations had many fans. I was blown away when I saw my nephew watching a Pacman 3D cartoon, wtf? I don't understand it. But hey, go for it, I'll be excited for you types when he's confirmed (which he damn will be!)

As for Mii's, I want them really bad, because of this reason alone: I've been playing Smash with the same group of friends since early Melee. The release of Brawl was one of the most exciting times I've ever shared with them, four of us in particular (naturally). If I can get a screenshot of four of us Mii's playing online (we live far away from each other now :( ) on Final Destination or Battlefield, I would frame that ish on my wall and shed a tear every time I pass it.

Last edited:

nessokman

Smash Lord
So with Little Macs reveal,makes this leak a little more true i think at least.

Little Mac, Pac-Man, Animal Crossing Guy, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Mii.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=62304489&postcount=2996
The little mac reveal makes it more valid.

i wouldnt mind seeing miis in the game but, pacman i wouldn't like very much.
I'm only going to say this once.

To clarify, LITTLE MAC DOES NOT CONFIRM THIS! A highly requested greatly sought after character gets confirmed and you guys start saying this might be true? I was pretty sure we'd get MM and LM. This is horse ****, rosalina wasn't on their list, so it isn't all newcomers.
sometimes this community gets on my last nerves.

/wrists

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
As for Mii's, I want them really bad, because of this reason alone: I've been playing Smash with the same group of friends since early Melee. The release of Brawl was one of the most exciting times I've ever shared with them, four of us in particular (naturally). If I can get a screenshot of four of us Mii's playing online (we live far away from each other now :( ) on Final Destination or Battlefield, I would frame that ish on my wall and shed a tear every time I pass it.
This story is touching enough for me to be OK with their inclusion... But then I'm reminded of the multiple penis heads, Hitler, and President Obama clones I'll likely be running into online. Back to square one. :\

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
This story is touching enough for me to be OK with their inclusion... But then I'm reminded of the multiple penis heads, Hitler, and President Obama clones I'll likely be running into online. Back to square one. :\
ROFL! I didn't think of it that way..... Now I'm more excited?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If Little Mac's reveal helps this rumor's credentials, than the incorrect prediction that Mac, Pac-Man and Mii were to be revealed at E3 should have killed this rumor stone-cold a long time ago.

Mac's reveal does nothing for this rumor. This rumor endures solely on the merits of the WFT prediction. Megaman, Mii, Mac, Pac-Man, and even "Animal Crossing guy" were/are all very obvious guesses for inclusion in SSB4.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I was having this discussion today. You gotta recognize that other people are gonna have their most wanted. My buddy is comically furious over Lucario's return. I wasn't a big fan of Lucario, but somebody out there is.

We've all got our pets, and I say we let everyone else have theirs. All characters are in the game for a pretty good reason.

I'm surprised you want Pacman, I didn't think his modern iterations had many fans. I was blown away when I saw my nephew watching a Pacman 3D cartoon, wtf? I don't understand it. But hey, go for it, I'll be excited for you types when he's confirmed (which he damn will be!)
I like your attitude. Very zen.

nessokman

Smash Lord
If Little Mac's reveal helps this rumor's credentials, than the incorrect prediction that Mac, Pac-Man and Mii were to be revealed at E3 should have killed this rumor stone-cold a long time ago.

Mac's reveal does nothing for this rumor. This rumor endures solely on the merits of the WFT prediction. Megaman, Mii, Mac, Pac-Man, and even "Animal Crossing guy" were/are all very obvious guesses for inclusion in SSB4.
THE VOICE OF REASON!
This guy is smart, maybe he'll give you fools lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom