• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Please read the title of the thread and get back to me on that one.
The thread title has nothing to do with what the proposed "leak" actually stated. Look at the actual leak before going off please.

Also, there were dozens (hundreds most likely) of predictions before E3. Find one, just one, that had both Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in it. If you can do that, then sure, come back here and tell me how easy it was.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
To be fair, Wii Fit Trainer's a pretty damn tough guess for anybody who shares the mindset of one of these communities. Even though I believe the few people who claim to have expected some kind of Wii Fit representation in SSB4, they're a scant few among thousands.
this (Granted I could have seen a stage if you told me to make a stage roster)

Also is this denial city? If it came out of /v/, gamefaqs, or reddit I'd understand but this is Neogaf: The same Neogaf that was right about the Metroid Prime Collection 1.5 years ago.

I'll write a debunking post later, but let's get over the "They were all suppose to be announced at E3" card because we don't know the full story. At least my joke theory could make sense (though if I were joking about characters I would have hit for longshots...)

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'll write a debunking post later, but let's get over the "They were all suppose to be announced at E3" card because we don't know the full story. At least my joke theory could make sense (though if I were joking about characters I would have hit for longshots...)
It's not a "card". It's an extremely solid argument against this leak's validity. Salromano himself very specifically said that the alleged reveals were all planned for E3 on his own website.
http://gematsu.com/2013/06/wii-fit-trainer-joins-super-smash-bros
http://gematsu.com/2013/06/wii-fit-trainer-joins-super-smash-bros

Last week, Gematsu was tipped off about Nintendo’s E3 character reveals for Super Smash Bros. But since we were unable to confirm the validity of our source, we refrained from posting the information. Of the six characters we were told would be revealed, three have been confirmed: Mega Man, Animal Crossing Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer. The three left remaining are Little Mac, Pac-Man, and your Mii.
Whichever way you want to slice it, Salromano's insider information was wrong. The degree of inaccuracy is up for question, but his source absolutely was incorrect about the planned E3 reveals. Why should we lend so much credence to a source who was at least partially misinformed or deliberately dishonest?

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Whichever way you want to slice it, Salromano's insider information was wrong. The degree of inaccuracy is up for question, but his source absolutely was incorrect about the planned E3 reveals. Why should we lend so much credence to a source who was at least partially misinformed or deliberately dishonest?
Absolutely correct? Try - "It got half of it right and nothing else or nothing more". Nintendo did change from it's conference to having a direct, which is a pretty big change; now what we don't know is how soon this change happened in. Let's just say Sal (wasn't there at least one other big name involved in the leak as well, or was he the same joker on Neogaf?) was told earlier before E3. E3 got changed to a direct. I don't see how that isn't possible - especially when WFT wasn't even revealed on-stage. The direct was about less than an hour, E3 generally goes for about an hour and a half for each company or two hours. Miscomunications, marketing, etc. Game industry can change within days; heck, days is an understatemen

I'm not even saying the leak is true; I'm personally still skeptical and not just on the side of "It's happening" but at the same time, the people trying to debunk it look FAR more like they're trying to debunk it because of the last two characters, not because of actual legitimacy. If I posted that same leak except said Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley people would be crying from the heavens and trying to prove the leak around the other way. This is the same stuff that happened during Melee and Brawl's leaks*

* = Once again, just like every leak, I still have at least a bit of skepticism.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
To be fair, Wii Fit Trainer's a pretty damn tough guess for anybody who shares the mindset of one of these communities. Even though I believe the few people who claim to have expected some kind of Wii Fit representation in SSB4, they're a scant few among thousands.
Which is pretty much the damn reason why we shouldn't always follow the "most logical, and most popular" characters.

josh bones

Smash Lord
I just realized: The trailer had Martha and dedede, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have revealed them at e3, so thoughts?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I just realized: The trailer had Martha and dedede, and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have revealed them at e3, so thoughts?
It's been so long since E3 that even if Mac's trailer was initially planned for the reveal there, absolutely anything could have been changed.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I have a feeling Pacman will be a third party newcomer. I also feel Snake will return.

So all in all, there will be two returning 3rd party (Sonic, Snake) and two newcomer 3rd party (Mega Man, Pacman)

I think that will round out the 3rd party characters in the game.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I have a feeling Pacman will be a third party newcomer. I also feel Snake will return.

So all in all, there will be two returning 3rd party (Sonic, Snake) and two newcomer 3rd party (Mega Man, Pacman)

I think that will round out the 3rd party characters in the game.
Thats to much imo...but anything can happen.

I personaly dont want pacman really....but Mii...Hell no....strongly HATE Mii...i sorta Despise Pacmans inclusion...but plz no Mii....

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Doesn't really mean that he's influential. He was more or less in as Namco made Marko Kart GP. By that token, what does Link in SC2 mean?
But that's the point. Namco and Nintendo have worked together on several game titles now. Nintendo trusted Namco with Mario Kart Arcade GP and allowed them to put not one, but three Pac-Man characters in it. They even made a sequel in Japan. Before that, Nintendo allowed Namco to put Link in Soul Calibur. And before that, Miyamoto made his own Pac-Man game and to specifically use the GameBoy Advance/GameCube link capabilities AND had Mario be the announcer in it. In other words, they've worked together at least four times now, sharing characters back and forth, and Smash Bros. would be the fifth time for them, and once again it is a game based around the characters. They are all that matter.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm still skeptical on this leak, and think there's less to it than meets the eye.

Was Rosalina (or any other newcomers) not even remotely ready when this guy got his info? Why was Mac more worked on than Rosalina, who was revealed before him?

Mac being revealed doesn't give any credence to this leak, because he was an obvious character choice to begin with, that literally everyone had on their rosters. That, and the original leak said they'd be at E3. I highly doubt they changed their plans in less than a day, considering the direct had to be ready prior. Like...alot prior.

AND, has the guy said anything since? Or anything since Mac's reveal? Likely not. Even if he knew what was going to be shown (or what he thought was part of it), it's been proven wrong. There's a couple of inconsistencies that just don't sit well with me.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Even if this is correct, my only real issue with this is Mii's.

And even putting aside my bias against them, all I want is for Pac-Man (and the other, much less desirable newcomer...) to not be the only other newcomers. If they happened to be the last two newcomers, I'd pretty much drop everything. Not even Mac would save the game for me, and that's saying something pretty harsh.

I just struggle in every way to see how Miis will generate any kind of hype from a non-niche audience. "You can Smash as anything you want!"

Well that sort of defeats the purpose of Smash.

Granted, at this point I understand their value to Nintendo, and that Sakurai may have changed his mind on them like he thankfully did for Villager. It doesn't need to be spelled out for me.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
the way that you seem to be unhappy with the idea of Miis, it seems that would be the first time that they would be implemented as custom chars in an online game; ... lol, there are so many games out there, like Mario Kart Wii, and I don't even care about their presence. Just in Smash4, there is still the possibility of be something interesting at least, due to the variety of titles that could be used to create the moveset of Miis.

Last edited:

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
And then all that variety would match absolutely none of the personas the Miis would have. And if you customize their *moves* then they're already broken.

On the other hand Sakurai could single-handedly make Pac Man awesomely relevant by borrowing from his Sega Genesis Pac Man Adventures.

As said in the rumors topic I'm of the camp "he was leaked 3 newcomers then added 3 easy guesses for the lulz".

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
And then all that variety would match absolutely none of the personas the Miis would have. And if you customize their *moves* then they're already broken.

On the other hand Sakurai could single-handedly make Pac Man awesomely relevant by borrowing from his Sega Genesis Pac Man Adventures.

As said in the rumors topic I'm of the camp "he was leaked 3 newcomers then added 3 easy guesses for the lulz".
wut?... Miis can do anything they want (or Nintendo want), and the face (it's the major problem between you?) is something very very irrelevant for what the avatars can do. Miis would be great to be a rep of some sports variety titles, Find Mii, Nintendoland (and their Assist would be Monita!)... etc etc... you guys are limited, .. R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch ended pretty well.

and Pac... just play all his games (a large library) you don't need to think to hard to imagine his moveset... like Rosalina, I guess =P.

and sincerely, besides Little Mac and Miis (and maybe Mega Man, but was still a surprise), the others aren't "easy to guess". well, at least, no one that I know see Villager and Wii Fit Trainer coming.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
We got Little Mac, and he's the only part of the rumor I wanted to come true. Let's hope this was a fluke and that the rumor won't be true for the rest of the time.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
@ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia He wasn't referring to the E3 reveals as the "easy guesses".

And G&W and ROB are at least their own character. Miis are...not. Miis are everyone.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
We got Little Mac, and he's the only part of the rumor I wanted to come true. Let's hope this was a fluke and that the rumor won't be true for the rest of the time.
yeah, let's hope that the game pleases only you. lol

---
You guys really need to trust more on Sakurai; and even the Miis can turn in something good, .. I have no doubts, and honestly I think that is inevitable for Smash, be this new, or in the next.. will mix feelings of competitive and casual playing. it's a nice touch. ;)

@ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia Miis are...not. Miis are everyone.
and what's wrong with this? you got bothered with Miis on the other games?.. like, 70% of the Wii, 3DS and Wii U games?.. it's not a problem, it's a good thing,.. this would imply in a feel of "you" in an arena with your favorite characters.. c'mon think like developers. =P

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
As far as my opinion on the E3 rumor... the guy made a lucky guess. Here's why.

Pacman- A third party that seemed likely, as Bandai Namco is helping to develop the game.

Mii - Nintendo avatar.

Villager - Popular game series, Animal crossing.

Little Mac - Supported retro character. Sakurai loves him some retros... and Punch-Out had a remake for the Wii as well.

Wii Fit Trainer - Here's where he got trippy intentionally. Who honestly saw her coming?

See? No real leak, just ONE guy out of Thousands got the right combo. Mii and Pacman have yet to show up. Not a leak, just a little guessing logic.

EDIT: Did I miss anyone?

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
well, not really defending the "leak factor" (which, for me, it's not impossible), but Pac-Man and Mii are characters that have like, 90% of be in the game,.. and it's pretty simple to understand why. Liking or not.. Actually, I'd be very surprised if they don't lol.. 'cause the most unbelievable characters already are in (aka WFT and Villager). .. I will just wait (anxious) who's with me? =P

SonicMario

Smash Master
Even with Little Mac's reveal. He is someone most people wanted to see in Smash. And Pac-Man and Miis were also pretty good choices considering Namco is helping with the game, and there's plenty of signs from a few things in the Pics of the Day that we'll be seeing Miis (Wuhu Island being in the PilotWings Stage, the Streetpass Quest/Find Mii stage for the 3DS version, Wii Fit Trainer getting in off the success of the Wii Fit series, the only games that were more succesful then Wii Fit being Wii Sports and Wii Play both who's main feature was playable Miis)

Personally I won't be disappointed or upset either way with Pac-Man's or Mii's inclusion/exclusion. But for those who aren't happy with the idea of Miis, I kinda suggest you get your grievances out now. Because I don't see anything getting in the way of Miis being playable this time. If I'm wrong, you can cheer their exclusion to the end of days. But I think people should not weigh their decision to not even play the game at all just because they decided to include Miis. I'm not saying any particular names. But I've seen people convinced that Miis being playable would instantly make this game the worst game ever. Whether we like it or not, Miis are a very probable inclusion and would help the game sell within the casual audience.

Don't like em'? Make them your punching bag and/or don't play as them unless you want to get all the Fighter trophies through Classic, All Star, etc.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
after all, we all know that all characters (or even avatars! XD, that's new) have their supporters and haters.. so... the time will tell us. (and I can't wait to see people reaction. =P... but hey, at least I don't think that the Miis would get a own trailer... only if it's featuring Reggie's Mii. =P)

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Would I quit SSB if Miis showed up? Nope

Will I be very angry if I have to deal with randoms picking Hitler/Naruto doing un-Hitler/Naruto like things with their movesets (or completely breaking online if their movesets are customizable)? You bet I would be.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
This is what's worrying me. Can anyone get him to say something? At least "NDA is keeping me from saying more"?
Sal Romano is not the origin source of this leak. He knows people in the industry, and someone who wanted to remain anonymous told him about these characters, hence why he stated to take it with a grain of salt. And of course, information will be tentative and will always change. The constant skepticism is due to people being jealous that someone on the internetz has insider info, and don't forget the bias towards these characters. I say expect the worst and hope for the best if you have that much animosity.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The thread title has nothing to do with what the proposed "leak" actually stated. Look at the actual leak before going off please.

Also, there were dozens (hundreds most likely) of predictions before E3. Find one, just one, that had both Villager and Wii Fit Trainer in it. If you can do that, then sure, come back here and tell me how easy it was.
You're going with the idea of "NO ONE ELSE GOT IT SO HE MUST KNOW SOMETHING!!!" He was also wrong about them being revealed at E3 (which a lot of people like to glance over or rationalize away). The problem is people can't come to grips with the possibility that he just got a good guess. There is nothing that implies if wasn't this way and the current reveals seem to suggest this.
Absolutely correct? Try - "It got half of it right and nothing else or nothing more". Nintendo did change from it's conference to having a direct, which is a pretty big change; now what we don't know is how soon this change happened in. Let's just say Sal (wasn't there at least one other big name involved in the leak as well, or was he the same joker on Neogaf?) was told earlier before E3. E3 got changed to a direct. I don't see how that isn't possible - especially when WFT wasn't even revealed on-stage. The direct was about less than an hour, E3 generally goes for about an hour and a half for each company or two hours. Miscomunications, marketing, etc. Game industry can change within days; heck, days is an understatemen

I'm not even saying the leak is true; I'm personally still skeptical and not just on the side of "It's happening" but at the same time, the people trying to debunk it look FAR more like they're trying to debunk it because of the last two characters, not because of actual legitimacy. If I posted that same leak except said Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley people would be crying from the heavens and trying to prove the leak around the other way. This is the same stuff that happened during Melee and Brawl's leaks*

* = Once again, just like every leak, I still have at least a bit of skepticism.
First, the lack of a stage show was planned at least as far back as April. It was revealed to the press in late April. So it wasn't a last minute thing. This was planned a while back.

Which is pretty much the damn reason why we shouldn't always follow the "most logical, and most popular" characters.
Yes, but that doesn't mean he should pick the one that people don't like. The response has been very strong for all the characters. The problem is the response for Mii and Pac-Man ranges from indifferent to loathing hate. Here are some fun quotes from 4Chan.

Literally no one wants Pac-Man.

He is probably the least liked character ever. For ****'s sake he's just a yellow circle. His games are ****, Pac-Man is ****.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No.

Kill Pac-Man. He is fecal matter.
If he gets revealed I will un-preorder all 17 copies of Smash.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Wanting this meme spouting ******
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sakurai is not going to add characters people wont like. Mii and Pac-Man don't have a strong response.

well, not really defending the "leak factor" (which, for me, it's not impossible), but Pac-Man and Mii are characters that have like, 90% of be in the game,.. and it's pretty simple to understand why. Liking or not.. Actually, I'd be very surprised if they don't lol.. 'cause the most unbelievable characters already are in (aka WFT and Villager). .. I will just wait (anxious) who's with me? =P
They probably wont get in for numerous reasons, but you can see above. The people is people assume that there will be a lot of third party characters and it's just a normal thing. In truth, Sakurai is very cautious with them. He wants to keep it Nintendo focused. Megaman and Sonic were both very popular characters which is why they are here. The same can't be said about Pac-Man.

It's no surprise that the people defending this rumor are almost all Pac-Man fans. It's the only thing they have to cling on.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Oh right, there's something else I forgot to note: Nintendo did change it in april, which isn't that late of a notice (If you stretch out the time, 3 months) but given Nintendo's financial situation and company's care about E3, miscommunication is easily possible.

Though if he's not bound by an NDA, I'd figure he'd at least say something by now...

edit: Also this is the first leak we've lost nothing from. If they don't get in, the roster might actually be better than the pesstimistic views. If they do, we were prepared for this.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
People are defending the fact that guessing "Wii Fit Trainer" is just a lucky guess and that anyone could have guessed her, but not a single one of those people have any screenshots or proof of someone putting Wif Fit Trainer on their wishlists or E3 reveal guess lists.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
People are defending the fact that guessing "Wii Fit Trainer" is just a lucky guess and that anyone could have guessed her, but not a single one of those people have any screenshots or proof of someone putting Wif Fit Trainer on their wishlists or E3 reveal guess lists.
One person put two guesses; one from 2012 and one from 2008. It's not an impossible guess to make, but it's definitely improbable.

Really, there's multiple explanations; they're not all likely explanations but they could work. We've got two months to burn.

Games made in the past have nothing to do with who is going to Bevin smash. That's just taking what Sakurai said about. 3rd party characters in 2006 (Mind you it was only a translated paragraph, which means little to nothing) and reapplying it here. History, how many games made etc. Doesn't mean anything. Either the character gets in or not; that's it.

And Pac Man sucks (except for the arcade game) .Being a playable character in Mario Kart isn't much of an accomplishment considering that generic Mario characters are playable in them. I mean. Sega made F-Zero, but you don't see Sega characters in it. Whatever.

Honestly they need to just bring back Snake and call it a day or just don't add anyone else.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I liked the post above me until it said bring back Snake. Hopefully with the desire to add a more cartoonish feel (altering the ray gun and homerun bat) I won't have to see Pikachu get an RPG shot at him.

I wouldn't mind Pacman as much as Mii. That Pilot Wings stage is starting to scare me.

I'm also not against the inclusion of more than one third party character per company. But I wouldn't want to see any unique fighters get cut for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom