• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
if anything it would be the opposite...lots of idiots with a barely-passing 2.0 would be more motivated to get a degree in teaching

but making it a competitive environment in the first place has little to do with the teacher's salary itself, that's more based on how the U of A would set up the minimum gpa needed to both enter and graduate from the faculty

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I would venture to say the reason it isn't as competitive is because teachers are usually in high demand. If universities left it uncompetitive but made it a graduate only profession like architecture then teachers might not be able to slide under the radar without REALLY knowing what they're doing.

edit: I should add that it's difficult to change policies on how you hand out degrees that alumni will have for the rest of their life based on the state of demand at the time they graduate. As appropriate or convenient as that might seem there's some fundamental problems with doing something like that. I think that keeping the supply of teachers high seems like a good alternative.

I also feel like adding there are WAY more variables at play affecting children's academic than poor teachers. Parents, friends, family life and environment come to mind, not to mention pretty consistent poor decision making by teenagers as a whole. If your dad is a watchmaker and everyone in your town is a watchmaker odds are you're going to be a watchmaker no matter how good your teachers are.

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Teaching is 4-5 years at the U of A, which is pretty standard.

It's already insanely competitive, and there are very few jobs to go around to a lot of graduates.

Just getting substitute work requires contacts and a lot of competition.

Education classes at the U of A are easy, for sure; but I'm not gonna hate on teachers. They've got a important job to do, and it's tough for them to find a job.

I'll ask Mike/Mark for some numbers later, but I think < 50% of education graduates get a teaching position.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
why would paying a teacher better wages make them a better teacher? that's horrible logic. making it a competitive environment would mean lowering the amount of graduates by increasing the entrance gpa needed to get into the faculty and then increasing the gpa needed to graduate in the first place. paying a ****ty teacher isn't going to make him/her better, in fact i hope you realize that lower wages increase work efficiency in nearly all fields
You kind of missed the point.

I am saying that if you just make it more competitive to become a teacher, no one will want to even try because the pay is so low. If you raise the gpa requirements and also have the job pay more then you'll have more capable people becoming teachers. Pretty simple, reasonable logic imo.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
oh, yes but only if you do both, i didn't know you meant both.

then it just boils down to a political perspective of whether or not you think teachers deserve to be paid more, as they don't necessarily have to go through as much education as many other faculty students for what they teach. personally i don't think elementary teachers deserve to be paid more

but does the u really want to stress competition for teaching when it gets them more money the way it is now? probably not

Stevo

Smash Champion
So, I started writing a response and it turned into a mini rant because it was more fun to type.

I'm not sure how much of what I wrote I actually agree with lol, but I think i just needed to type some bull****.

I almost deleted it but I figured I'd just post it for fun.

personally i don't think elementary teachers deserve to be paid more

I know you said personally, but elementary school teachers put in a lot of extra hours (more than they get off in summer vacation and such) I know lots of other jobs do too, but the issue is a teacher cannot ask for a raise or get overtime etc. All 3rd year teachers get paid the same, so why put in 60 hour weeks?

high school teachers need to "know more" and "be smarter" but I doubt they spend their weekend preparing crafts and their lunch hour parenting little brats. (I think High school teachers deserve more money too, however)

again I know you said it in your opinion, but there are many sides to it.

you'd have to pay me a lot to take care of someones kids. Hell, we SHOULD be paying people a lot for that, considering nobody actually parents any more, just sit their kid in class and expect them to learn everything they need to know for life.
Parents dont have the time these days, too busy working to keep up their high end life styles. which really is no excuse. Don't have a kid if you cannot take care of them.

Teachers have to be guidance counsellors, Nurses, Maid, Tech savy, psychologists. etc.

PROFS have it easy as far as educators go. The argument that they have to be more educated is not valid. Like as if most people can't succeed in post secondary if they ACTUALLY TRIED AND STOPPED ****ING AROUND.

like as if the difference between a 2.0 student and a 4.0 student actually indicates much other than working the system properly. You did what you were told, regurgitated the right information. Gratz. You stuck through that hole of unoriginal thought.

I have engineering friends who have 3.7 or whatever but can barely hold a conversation or have no common sense.

the whole argument that the core issue lies in some number the university tacks on for a requirement is ridiculous really. Would changing the GPA requirement help some things? probably. but its like putting a bandage over your ***, THE **** WILL COME OUT SOMEWHERE.

the PROBLEM is everyone is doing stuff they dont care about, because nobody is taught to actually go for what you want in life, we are just taught to go to uni so we can get a good job and make money and buy lots of ****. and we are not taught this because teachers are not hired to do so. and so on.

People need to stop being ******s and wake up and do something cool.

BE A WARRIOR. MAKE YOUR DESTINY. WHY DID I WRITE THIS.

(I love that ****3rs was censored)

Frio

Smash Champion
I remember back in the day that guy was raging at me cause I wave dashed. Called it cheating

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
so i did a chem lab today where we working with 15 M ammonia

people in the other labs were puking and passing out just by smelling it LMFAO
Ummmm, isn't that dangerous? Not the puking and fainting and whatnot. But the fact that ammonia fumes can travel to another lab and contaminate it?

Top Bottom