• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Any i7 will last for a long, long time. It's only the GFX card that usually gets in the way (to my experience). Basically my setup right now is the XPS M1330 with 4GB DDR2 and a T5750 Core 2 Duo processor (2.00ghz), but with the 5870 attached. The processor's been fine for everything except maybe one program so far.The onboard Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS in my laptop stopped me from playing a lot of games higher than low settings.

IMO Sandy Bridge is mainly for laptop users, and doesn't affect a desktop user as much, maybe other than USB 3.0. One of the main benefits of Sandy Bridge is to have the integrated graphics be a lot more powerful, but if you're building a high end machine, it shouldn't matter anyways. And also, my 5870 is bottlenecked mainly by bandwidth from the expresscard 1.0, but Sandy Bridge's expresscard 3.0 should let me run it at near-desktop performance. Also, USB 3.0 will let me run it on my laptop screen instead of needing an external monitor. There's a lot more helping me with Sandy Bridge than a normal desktop user.

T-block

B2B TST
IMO Sandy Bridge is mainly for laptop users, and doesn't affect a desktop user as much, maybe other than USB 3.0.
lol wtf -_- just because games tend to be graphics bottlenecked doesn't mean sandy bridge is "mainly for laptop users"

tyson, you probably would have wanted the enthusiast lga2011 chips anyways. at least this way your replacement is sorta cheap? does that make you feel better lol

Tyson651

Smash Lord
I'm not too fond of computer stuff so I'm not sure what the lga2011 chips are. But nonetheless, I guess the i7 will last me a long time so it's not that bad :/

Tyson651

Smash Lord
So these problems never occurred with your previous video card? I'm thinking your psu is not high enough to run your video card properly. Many sites say 400w min to accompany a gt 240.

So michael, you're saying the 2011 are better?

I dunno if the 1366 or 1156 is better, but I did get a 1366

T-block

B2B TST
2011 is going to be intel's enthusiast platform for this architecture. just like i7's were more expensive, but performed better, and used a different socket.

yeah ron, my best guess is that your psu fried your card. are you monitoring your temperatures? see if it's getting too hot.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Is there a section of the computer that would noticeably be hot? I've had the case open for a day now to see if anything happens during a crash. A friend said to touch the video card but that didn't seem to be the case. I'll go and download a temperature monitoring program or something.

It just seems weird it'd be an overheating problem since I'm crashing on the desktop now. I wasn't even running anything big. Only firefox(smashboards), msn, and mediaplayer (simply music).

My previous card was an integrated video card btw.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
oh btw, there's no box or w/e, cause i got it pre-built from dell.

original price is like 190 on memory express, ill just sell it for like 80 if u still want it.

but wait till i get my old comp back and stuff (comp shop still has it since they're transferring parts over to my new comp). ill see if i can ask them if they can remove the processor and put it in a box or something.

ill be selling my ram too. i have 6gbs of ddr2 ram, but i think a guy is gonna take some, but not all

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
oh btw, there's no box or w/e, cause i got it pre-built from dell.

original price is like 190 on memory express, ill just sell it for like 80 if u still want it.

but wait till i get my old comp back and stuff (comp shop still has it since they're transferring parts over to my new comp). ill see if i can ask them if they can remove the processor and put it in a box or something.

ill be selling my ram too. i have 6gbs of ddr2 ram, but i think a guy is gonna take some, but not all
They will put it in a box. CPUs are too delicate to leave around.

Are you going to be OCing you new computer?

I'm interested in the RAM, what speed is it?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I can't even turn on the computer now. Is there anything I can do under safe mode that would be able to check what's wrong?

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Does your computer beep when it turns on? If it does, how many times?

And by turn on the computer, literally turn it on? Or does it at least go to bios?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Gets past the windows logo screen, then either:
1. Blacks out (nothing happens)
2. BoSD
3. Allows me to go to desktop in which it crashes in 5 minutes.

I can go into BIOS yes. No it does not beep. I've heard a beep two days ago (before the frequent crashes) but I didn't know what it was so I didn't really pay attention to it. That and nothing happened after the beeps either. But it does not beep at all now.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing there is a problem with your operating system (windows). Do you have the original disc you used to install windows? It has a tool on it (can't remember the name) to replace corrupted files.

It could also be that your hard disk is faulty. That happened to me and my comp didn't beep.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
They will put it in a box. CPUs are too delicate to leave around.

Are you going to be OCing you new computer?

I'm interested in the RAM, what speed is it?
naw, i most likely won't OC it since i don't need to beef up my comp more than what it is already

as for the ram, I THINK its 1066mhz, but i lost my dell booklet that tells me all the specifics. ima try and find a way to confirm this.

edit: this is what i found on the dell website about the xps 630

"Corsair® DOMINATOR® Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (800MHz, 2 or 4 DIMMs, overclockable to 1066MHz)"

it said up to 4GBs but my desktop was upgradable to 6GBs, so dunno about that lol.

I can't even turn on the computer now. Is there anything I can do under safe mode that would be able to check what's wrong?
try using your old video card and see if your comp is fine. if it's not then you know something other than your new video card is screwing up.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
my old comp's psu and mobo broke, i can't use cpu-z lol.

im just using some of the old parts in my new comp, and selling my other parts that i won't be using anymore.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
It's the graphics card lol.

Just reverted back to my old one and everything's fine and dandy. I just don't understand how my computer was able to handle the new graphics card for two months before this happened. If it was a lack of power, shouldn't this have happened much sooner?

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
It's the graphics card lol.

Just reverted back to my old one and everything's fine and dandy. I just don't understand how my computer was able to handle the new graphics card for two months before this happened. If it was a lack of power, shouldn't this have happened much sooner?
Not really. At first, using my 480W PSU, my 5870 could play SC2 at max settings for a long while. After some time though, the connection between the card and the monitor began to be lost earlier, until the point where I couldn't even open it without it shutting off. Just make sure your GFX card has no problems.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
lol 480w for a 5870.

like i said, your psu isn't high enough for your video card.

it's probably starving for power, and overtime it starts dying out. like a person with not enough food? lul.

just get a MINIMUM 400w psu, and start using your new video card. if it's still wacked, then send it in for warranty and you're good to go.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
I thought I understood a little about computers until these last few pages happened. ._.

Also, do you guys have any tips for doubles? Hansel and I kind of suck at it despite knowing each other's play-styles.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
<3

x2

seriously f this s
<3

this is hilarious
<3

yo tyson, once you get a case on the e8400 I'll buy it from you.
k

I thought I understood a little about computers until these last few pages happened. ._.

Also, do you guys have any tips for doubles? Hansel and I kind of suck at it despite knowing each other's play-styles.
i don't even know much about comps either lulul. i try to learn a bit every once in a while though.

usually the way i see it, is one guy is pretty offensive, and the 2nd guy is more defensive/supportive.

i tend to see a lot of friendly fire when both players play offensive, and i have no clue what 2 defensives do lol. they'd probably cuddle, hold hands and both die together.

usually when i play, i try to be more passive and supportive, just by keeping an eye out on my teammate, running away from a fight that seems to make me take too much damage (and just giving a hit on the other guy to help out my teammate) or simple stuff like applying shield pressure on the same opponent for your partner, or grabbing the opponent for your partner.

mainly it takes practice. when u get a lot of it in, then u can basically get really good team chemistry with whoever easier.

on another topic, i think my ram is a 2x2x2 (6gb total), when i confirm this by getting back my old parts, i already sold 2 sticks, so i only have 1 stick left. im selling them for $25 each (2gb @800mhz ddr2)

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
So here is the summery of my day:

1. Invite girl over to play smash

2. 1 hour of solidly kicking *** in melee

3. 10 mins and 4 ztd combos in smash 64

4. 30 mins of mario kart 64

5. She wants to play brawl

6. rage

7. RAGE

8. RAAAAAAAAGE

9. So I invite my friend over and we go back to melee