• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Moogle has been attending tournaments for the past two weekends. And he also went to one this weekend. And he'll be going to one next weekend.

So this is why there hasn't been any weekend smashfests. :<
In that case, we could either play at Moogle's while he's gone anyway, or someone else could host. I'd offer to do it myself, but i'd have to kick people out around midnight cuz my mom's gotta sleep :/

But i do agree that we should have a smashfest at least once in a blue moon (mmmm....beer).

On an unrelated note, i went to Birmingham this weekend for Lindsey's birthday. We stayed at her friend's condo and i ***** face in Brawl, hahahaa.

One guy was like, 'Snake sucks!!' And i was like, 'O rly?'

So i 2-stocked him. I never play Snake. It felt pretty darn good.

Not you, NES n00b. I can't wreck you.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
So how did AL represent at TO3?
Moogle teamed with Ambix and they got 4th, then DP and I knocked him out of singles (but he beat at least one other person in losers before playing me). I think he was the only AL player who attended, despite it being in the FREAKING ADJACENT STATE.

Meanwhile Nite, Chad, Iori, Ambix, NES N00b, HyperDragon, and I drove all the way through your state from MS/TN. Step it up 'Bama!

coach

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, i felt really bad afterwards. I played on friday and wasn't doing well enough to justify paying 40-80 dollars to go and play. I just don't get joy out of the game if I'm not thinking about playing right. I miss you memphis peoples though.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I forgot Ragnorak was from AL because he rode with Rice and RAM. I don't remember how he placed, but he was beastly in all the friendlies I played with him or saw him play.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
As far as I know, yeah. Looking forward to more friendlies.
Though I'm apparently the prince of lies, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Except that.
And that.
....and that.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
So nobody was willing to travel as far as Georgia? This makes me think that nobody will ever make it up here to visit me. (Sadface)

On another note: Jack, do you have a teammate for Event 52?

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
my brother (Cheap), two friends, and I went. we all got ***** though except for cheap he tied for forth in his pool with moogle, but then lost to moogle for the tiebreaker.
i have to say my pool matches were most shameful. i think i did okay in most of the friendlies though. hopefully that tourny was enough practice for tuscaloosa, cause i don't have melee here.1

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Oh gosh! Oh no! I forgot that the Tuscaloosa tourny was this weekend. It's the same weekend as AWA!

I'm kinda being forced to go too....

UGH~! The pain... the pain...

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Well Duch, there's a brawl tournament happening at AWA, so go make it your stomping ground. :D

and if spaceballs was a liar prince he'd have better mindgames.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Oh gosh! Oh no! I forgot that the Tuscaloosa tourny was this weekend. It's the same weekend as AWA!

I'm kinda being forced to go too....

UGH~! The pain... the pain...
Don't worry Duchock, I think I'm teaming with Poet this time around anyway. <3

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I've been experimenting a bit with "the team." I think a Thunder spamming Pikachu would be perfect for it.

Edit: Also,

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hey, I'm new to smash boards, but active on AllIsBrawl. I came here thanks to George's link in the Alabama topic hoping to find more smashers in Mobile County. The two smashers I played most with left for college and I've got 1 year left. One's out of state, and the other's in Auburn, but I digress:

I came to see if there is any kind of tournament scene in the Mobile Area I'm unaware of, and if there isn't, what kind of attendance (if any) would I have if I hosted one.

Also, you can add me to the list at the beginning if it's still being updated.

Ryker-Mobile-Mario/Wario/Snake

Skelter

Smash Rookie
Hello, fellow Alabamian. Not really that new to that smashboards, just a lurker. But I was recommended by a friend to come by this thread. I just came here to find out where all the smash competition is in the Huntsville area.

And, if I can, be added to the list:

2191 7304 4827-Skelter-Huntsville-Lucas/Ness/Wolf

And my Melee mains (if it matters): Cpt. Falcon/Mewtwo

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
both of you are (sort of) in luck.

Ryker, the smash scene in Mobile isn't really huge, but there are a couple of smashers there. However, the smash scene in Florida is very huge, and if you don't have transportation, you can talk to ragnarock, who lives in Mobile and drives to FL all the time. Be sure to ask him about Brawl, if that's the game you play because I think that, while he does play brawl, he mainly plays Melee. Anyway, those guys down there are tough so you should get good quick :-D

Skelter, Huntsville is sort of the best place in AL to go for smash (but that's not saying much), but they smash every week in Huntsville. I'm sure someone will reply and give you more information shortly. And certainly your Melee mains matter, we still play (some of the people you will meet prefer it).

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
also, I'm going to just keep melee in my backpack just in case anyone in Tuscaloosa wants to play it.
i'm going to be there this evening, if anyone is interested.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Hello, fellow Alabamian. Not really that new to that smashboards, just a lurker. But I was recommended by a friend to come by this thread. I just came here to find out where all the smash competition is in the Huntsville area.

And, if I can, be added to the list:

2191 7304 4827-Skelter-Huntsville-Lucas/Ness/Wolf

And my Melee mains (if it matters): Cpt. Falcon/Mewtwo
Hey Duchock and Rob, look. Another Ness player :O

Welcome to the boards dude. You should come to our smashfests on Thursdays!!!! PM moogle for details.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Hey Duchock and Rob, look. Another Ness player :O
I'm...h...a...p...p...y...

Anyway, in HUGE ALABAMA-NINTENDO RELATED NEWS, some mysterious event is planned for Thursday that I'm hating I can't attend. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's Kirby related (HINT HINT, GEORGE!)

http://kotaku.com/5050478/nintendo-portends-mysterious-kirby+themed-events-next-week

I'm gonna see if I can't get someone from my family to drive by to see what the hubbub is about <_<. I've never been to Kirby Middle School before, but it looks like it's pretty out of the way... at least as far out of the way you can get while still being in Birmingham.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
and if you don't have transportation, you can talk to ragnarock, who lives in Mobile and drives to FL all the time.
Woah, ragnarock drives to FL often? I want in on all these FL brawl tournies that seem to be happening.

And welcome, Ryker and Skelter.

Skelter

Smash Rookie
Ha, thanks for the welcome guys, but yea I'm an earthbound mainer. (competitive of course)

And I'll consider going to those smash gatherings, I just won't be able to go this week or anything because of me having mono (a stupid virus that lasts about a week or two)

But I'll definitely come, and I'll probably bring one or two friends of mine if that's fine.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I'm...h...a...p...p...y...

Anyway, in HUGE ALABAMA-NINTENDO RELATED NEWS, some mysterious event is planned for Thursday that I'm hating I can't attend. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's Kirby related (HINT HINT, GEORGE!)

http://kotaku.com/5050478/nintendo-portends-mysterious-kirby+themed-events-next-week

I'm gonna see if I can't get someone from my family to drive by to see what the hubbub is about <_<. I've never been to Kirby Middle School before, but it looks like it's pretty out of the way... at least as far out of the way you can get while still being in Birmingham.
I am going. So is my Kirby plushie.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Take lots of pictures, George. My money is on a kirby themed air baloon, but that's just me.

Maybe it'll be carrying a castle with it, dropping food as it floats through the sky!

Anyway, onto less important matters. A(nime) W(eekend) A(tlanta) is having a Brawl tourny, and like most conventions, the organizers have no idea "how to do it rite." Not that that's a bad thing, it's just... you know... awkward for guys like us. Last year's melee tournament was normal, but this year's Brawl settings seem to be a bit... you know... ****ty.

Here's a link: http://www.awa-con.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=134846#134846

So we've got a few important things: no banned stages (the stages are picked for every person playing per bracket). From the way it's worded, it won't be 2/3 matches, it'll be one game only, single elim until the finals. Items ON (stupid, stupid, supid. Even the hammer's still on!). Prizes: to be announced.

It's only 10 dollars, but it also potentially takes a large chunk of time out of my super kawaii adventure into the glorious world of anime. I don't care much for anime (or, at large, the people who watch it), so it's not really a loss, but if I'm going to be spending upwards 40 bucks to walk around in a hotel for a couple of days, I'm gonna get my money's worth. My question is this: Is it worth it? I'm guessing I'd have a pretty good shot at the money, being a big fish in a small pond, but can the non-competative nature of the rules take away from my shot? or even the glory in case of success?

My vote is yes, but I value criticism and input... and a doubles partner <_<

Will_

Smash Journeyman
It's your time and money, Duch. I'd play in the tournament depending on if I went with friends or not.

TruBluNuMou

Smash Rookie
if all items are on, all of them, it's pretty much doom. skill is going to be pretty heavily mitigated.

Ness is going to have a bit of trouble in item play, because his horizontal movement isn't up to part with Sonic or MK.

I'd say don't do it. ten bucks and maybe you win some money for the wrong reason's.

Top Bottom