• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
why is league of legends so easy.
im like not even all that motivated to play it sometimes.

DUDE I WANNA DRIVE DOWN THERE TO SMASH ELEV8 OVER THE BREAK BUT IM LOW ON MONEY SO I DONT THINK ILL BE ABLE TO BUT ANYWAYS I WILL FIND A WAY TO SMASH WITH YOU OVER thanksgiving break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol

I went to prepare for Thanksgiving Eve dinner and noticed the downloader is working again. Installing now

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
when i start working i'll probably pick up SF4AE too. i'll need some help though because I have no idea where to begin on that ****.
and UMVC3 cuz that ****'s my jam.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Geeks + Gamers wants me to help with a tournament on December 3. Who would want to go to that event if it happened?

Things should go much more smoothly this time. I got a new laptop today.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Yay <3

Also I just got time to play like half an hour ago, so I'm only like level 3 with Eve.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i would go to geeks and gamers

im pretty much there 100 percent of the time if a tournament is in montgomery.

actually im pretty much at every tournament 100 percent of the time if my girlfriend allows lol

reflex you should train my ddd on wifi :)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah renekton is a boss.

So guys give me some feedback. In Brawl, I'm pretty sure I shield too much. Like when I first started Brawl I spotdodged too much, and I noted that and now instead of spotdodging I shield. The problem is, I shield pre-emptively a lot. My rationale is this: shielding usually beats everything except grabs. With a couple of notable exceptions (ICs, DDD, etc.) being grabbed USUALLY isn't a big deal, you take like 9 damage and the position is reset, oh well. (depending on the matchup). And depending on how aggressive your opponent is, and how fast their reactions are, you may not get grabbed anyway. So sometimes I just throw out shields when I'm in unsure situations. Buuuttt, I find myself getting grabbed like ALOT lol, and I suppose it adds up. (And as I said, some characters and matchups make this strategy a suicide manuever).

Anyway, would you guys say that 'you should only shield when you believe your opponent is going to attack you?' or is that too specific a thing to be a rule of thumb.

allshort17

Smash Ace
yeah renekton is a boss.

So guys give me some feedback. In Brawl, I'm pretty sure I shield too much. Like when I first started Brawl I spotdodged too much, and I noted that and now instead of spotdodging I shield. The problem is, I shield pre-emptively a lot. My rationale is this: shielding usually beats everything except grabs. With a couple of notable exceptions (ICs, DDD, etc.) being grabbed USUALLY isn't a big deal, you take like 9 damage and the position is reset, oh well. (depending on the matchup). And depending on how aggressive your opponent is, and how fast their reactions are, you may not get grabbed anyway. So sometimes I just throw out shields when I'm in unsure situations. Buuuttt, I find myself getting grabbed like ALOT lol, and I suppose it adds up. (And as I said, some characters and matchups make this strategy a suicide manuever).

Anyway, would you guys say that 'you should only shield when you believe your opponent is going to attack you?' or is that too specific a thing to be a rule of thumb.
That's what I believe you should do. Only shield for a a little if you believe the opponent will hit you. And if you shield wrong and they do hit you, just remember and take the appropriate action next time. Also, you can shield to condition whoever your playing into do something stupid.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
the most common reaction to a shield is moving forward. do you want your opponent to move towards you at this exact point and time? do you want them to dash grab toward you possibly?
i believe (and its just me, idk if its the truth or not, im not good enough to know) that EVERY possible thing that is done in this game has an answer and there is no such thing as too specific of a concern. it is a GAME. a "GAME" that you "PLAY". i believe there is a solid y/n answer to every little tiny movement and scenerio ever possible in this game and i will not stop until i learn them all and what all of it means.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
its funny
im friends with this guy on facebook who has been going HARD for like a year dude, like he has been posting up at LEAST like 4 songs a day and just spitting stuff out left and right and at first, the songs sucked like REALLY bad and were just a bunch of noise more or less and STILL today its like the same exact **** im like DAMN IS THIS WHAT YOU DO ALL DAY LOL

i feel bad for him cuz he is putting in MAD work but the thing is is that all he does is sit around and get high and i think he's just too high to learn anything or progress looool.

anyways i just thought it was funny, like two years of this ****. do you know HOW MANY ****TY SONGS THAT IS lol. i really do hope he gets it one day but i think his brain is just too high man i dont even think he has the slightest clue what he is doing.

now i feel bad for talking trash though hes a cool dude dont get me wrong but i could just never sit through 2 years of sounding like **** id be like "**** this man this dont sound right, somethin aint working...." lol

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Hey AL, so GA is riding Megabus to go to the Geeks and Gamers tournament this weekend. We already bought the tickets. I hope some of you guys will make it out too... there doesn't seem to be much talk/any hype at all but that's k!

I'm mainly posting because it's in Montgomery and we'll be dropped off at a Red Roof Inn 7 minutes from the venue but we'll arrive at 9:30 AM and the doors don't open until noon... so is anyone willing to give us temporary housing or just something to do until the venue opens? A ride to the venue would be nice too, we'll pay gas. Also, the bus leaves that night at 3:25 AM (yikes!) and it'd be nice to once again... have something to do/get a ride back to the hotel at that time (once again, we'll pay gas) so PM me or reply here if you're interested. It'd really be appreciated instead of us standing around in a hotel parking lot or something nearby for 3 hours both times.

@Janitor - This might be a late response but holding your shield too much isn't THAT much of a problem. You explicitly pointed out the cases where it IS a problem (ICs, D3, etc) but the solution is simple and I'm not making a joke, just don't shield as much in THOSE cases.

Shielding is an amazing option because, like you said, it beats everything but grabs. But you also have other options like... spot dodge, jump OoS (retreating aerials are usually pretty amazing here), SHADing, etc. Don't forget you can just grab them or buffer turn around grab (only adds 1 frame to the grab timing and standing grabs almost always beat dash grabs if timed well but they can skid cancel or shield cancel grab almost as fast if they space/time it well too). If you utilize these options well then when they're putting pressure on you or approaching, it becomes a big mix-up game where most of the time it's in your favor.

There isn't really a rule of thumb you can apply here since the big key is adapting and learning what your opponent is doing to you and in return, beat it. If the person is using a lot of attacks as approaches and putting pressure on you, just shield and punish or SH retreating aerial to zone them. If they're trying to be tricky and land behind you and grab, just turn around and grab them first (they have all the landing lag plus time in the air) or hit them even. If you think they're going to grab, spot dodge. Also, don't be afraid to double spot dodge if you see them waiting to punish your spot dodge (or buffer some other really fast move out of spot dodge)... if you buffer the 2nd spot dodge sometimes people will miss the punish window and then YOU get to punish instead. Pivot grabs are a good spacing tool to use too but are situational. They work well if you think they're trying to get behind you or they use an attack that isn't disjointed. Also, don't forget that if your opponent is doing well spaced aerials and trying to bait/zone you... there's always the option of running forward and shielding to mess up their spacing and then proceeding to punish. There's also of course a lot of character specific options OoS and what not.

Having the habit of holding shield though is particularly useful when you're in kill percents. When you get high enough to kill, people usually try to force you into a bad situation or trick you into getting hit by their kill option. Unless the kill option is a grab, holding shield usually beats this. By holding shield at higher percents, most of the time you will only get grabbed and since you fly so far away, you're able to get back without dying (this is of course character dependent... if your char sucks at getting back and gets juggled then maybe this isn't the best option but most characters are better in the air to a degree than the ground... except characters like Snake, Rob, Diddy, etc).

There's a lot more knowledge and experience that goes into these situations such as if the character you're fighting only kills with aerials and can throw you into the air to try to land them, shielding might not be the best option and retreating pivot grabs or something is... etc. If you're interested in specific character MUs I can go into even more depth. Sorry if this wasn't the info you were asking for or if you knew it all already, just thought I'd throw in some information addressing your questions (hopefully at least).

TL;DR - Just don't read it or PM me for a bullet list of options or something I dunno. But the main point of this post is GA's ride situation for the tourney this weekend, thanks.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
micalies that was an awesome post.

also, if you guys want to chill at my parents house i could come pick you up and we could do friendlies.
my parents house is in wetumpka though so that is a good 15 minutes away from the venue.

also idk wtf Red Roof Inn is so i'd have to get directions to that.

but let me know if you guys are open to this option.
the only downside is that you would have to ride with me or follow me for an extra 30 minutes to and from my parents house to the venue. :/
but i would love to help you guys out and i also love driving in the morning, which is what i'd be doing leaving from montevallo id have to leave at like 8 to get to red roof inn at the same time as you guys.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
thanks for that micaelis
i dont mind the post at all, in depth breakdowns are the kind of thing i need
i dont know what kind of advice i specifically need, that's what i'm trying to figure out. I feel like there some simple concept about the game that i'm missing but I dont know what it is. although it could just be a mixture of things.
ive been playing snake again lately...i was using pit a lot recently, but I want to get my snake good too. i actually like how they compliment each other. (except falco, I dont really have an answer for falco)

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
@Slam - Sure! That sounds like a pretty good option. Beats the hell out of waiting at an inn for a couple of hours doing nothing. As long as you don't mind driving, I'm pretty sure we'd be down. The address for the place is Red Roof Inn - 5601 Carmicheal Rd, Montgomery, AL and we're scheduled to get in at 9:30 AM Montgomery time. Will we be able to chill after the tourney until 3 AM too or?... just wondering.

@Janitor - No problem. I'll let you guys into a couple of decent training "secrets" that seem to help others and myself. The first one being obvious I suppose that the more you play this game, truly the better you'll get at it. Playing against another human being is of course ideal but even practicing in training mode for a few minutes a day doing tech skill and fake situations can help. It improves your speed, fluidity, and you can practice buffering and theory crafting options. This of course does NOT have to be for long periods of time... I sometimes play 15-30 mins by myself or an hour with a friend just to get my dose for the day.

Second... playing with a person who is either better than you or ABUSES your habits is the best way to get better. On top of that, if they're good at teaching or voicing knowledge... ASK them questions. Playing friendlies helps you get better... but it doesn't guarantee that you actually understand a lot of the finer more in-depth situations the person is abusing or reading. Ask for their mental processes in situations and it'll help you understand yourself better too (hope that made sense). Ask questions about situations where you feel disadvantage and talk about your AND their options. If you have to pause mid-match to ask... do it. This is such a great way to learn but is usually overlooked. People just sit there and play friendlies and try to learn on their own. We're a community, help us help you.

A break off from the above tip is when and if you watch youtube videos of "pro" players play... don't just sit there and watch. Think about the situations the player was in and analyze WHY they chose the options they chose. Use that pause button! Did they not go for the punish you would of? Did they use Bair instead of Nair because they were trying to space against a specific attack? Also, notice things like the person's position on the stage and how they use it. People forget about things the stage can give you. Usually it's "platforms give me an advantage and I like them so I'll go to Battlefield"... but you should actually know WHY they give you an advantage and you like them (say it's Snake vs Wario... camping under a platform as Snake limits Wario's options because he can't quickly use as many aerial options due to the platform being in the way etc). Watching your own replays is a great tool too. Recording friendlies and watching them a bit later will help.

The last thing I want to mention is how powerful of a tool your mental state is. If you have the wrong mental state, you WILL self-defeat yourself. I personally have been working on this recently and have been doing NOTICEABLY better. Go into a match thinking and KNOWING that you CAN beat the person. Even if the person is reputable... it doesn't matter. They're human, not some god. Abuse their mistakes and play smart and WIN. It's POSSIBLE so don't think it's not. I try to go into every match regardless of the player saying to myself, "I can win this and I will win this". But it's not enough to just say it/think it. You have to believe it and keep it up through the match. Even if you're a stock down or being frustrated by them camping, just shake it off. Clear your head and THINK of your options and pick the good ones. Don't let mind games and bad situations like suicides or a stock lead defeat you. If you do this, I promise you'll be more level-headed in matches and will be more satisfied with your performance because even if you lose, you KNOW you did your best. Also, try not to get bummed out if you lose in Winners Bracket. That mental state will carry into Losers and make it really hard for you to progress. Every game is a different game; even if you lost to the person earlier... you can win this time. The past does not dictate the future. Just some food for thought.

This isn't a training tip but I notice that what a lot of players have difficulty in learning and actually APPLYING are two concepts. The first being that in Brawl... you need to camp. You NEED a well of patience. It might not always be fun but playing safe and picking good options is the way to win. If you don't like it... don't THINK of it as camping. Think of it as sitting back for a bit, taking a breather, and using that time to think/analyze what is going on in the match and how to adapt to it. You can use that time to think of what they're abusing about you, your options to beat it, and how to abuse their habits right back. Camping is great. Second important thing is that not everything people do is punishable. People you're playing (especially good players) are USUALLY picking safe options. They're safe for a reason! And if you try to punish and fail, most of the time you get punished right back. So sometimes it's okay to just let the person go... just file away the situation for later and either find a way to read/punish it or just keep not falling for the bait.

Okay, so this is another HUGE wall of text. Hopefully some people will get some good information from it. Sorry for blowing up your social with theory crafting and my opinions/ideas AL! Also, I don't really feel like reading over it and correcting mistakes so if something wasn't legible... sorry. Just ask questions if you need me to clarify something. Hopefully I won't kill you with another wall of text.

TL;DR - Don't read it then or ask for bullet in PM or something, I dunno.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh cool i have a GPS.
micahel ill meet you guys there then, or do my best to get close to that location. then we'll head over to my crazy *** parents house then ill drive yall back to the tourney. i dont mind driving.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
oh cool i have a GPS.
micahel ill meet you guys there then, or do my best to get close to that location. then we'll head over to my crazy *** parents house then ill drive yall back to the tourney. i dont mind driving.
Sounds good. My only 2 questions are... how big is your car? (just out of curiousity since there's 5 of us... but we'll squeeze if we have to) And are we able to chill at your place after the tourney until 2:30 AM or something? If not, that's find I just want to know what our plan/options are right now. Thanks

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
It's a Jetta (I think) so about the size of a small 4 door. :3 Make sure you guys are all bathed up and stuff, seems like it's going to be a tad cramped

I'll most likely not be able to go to the tournament.

DRN

Smash Lord
It's a Jetta (I think) so about the size of a small 4 door. :3 Make sure you guys are all bathed up and stuff, seems like it's going to be a tad cramped

I'll most likely not be able to go to the tournament.
Noooo gooooo

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
actually i got a hyndai now but its still only a 5 seater.

and i guess we could chill at my place prolly. just make sure there are wii's.
we could move everything out to the garage so we could stay up a while smashing. but it is cold so idk bout that.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
actually i got a hyndai now but its still only a 5 seater.

and i guess we could chill at my place prolly. just make sure there are wii's.
we could move everything out to the garage so we could stay up a while smashing. but it is cold so idk bout that.
At your parent's place right? Because your place is an hour away I think... just making sure. And yeah, we'll have TVs and Wiis with us and I'd be k with the garage even if it's cold. It's STILL much better than sitting around for 3+ hours somewhere. And I hate the cold.

Top Bottom