• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
brawl is definitely more unique character wise than melee and 64, that was one of the first things I noticed about the game actually.. but its still there to an extent, such as the examples i've given.

Also smash is pretty easy to learn characters with because in most cases you attack your opponent simply by pressing a stick in his direction lol

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Actually, I think on average 64 characters had more variety than Melee (that is, if I'm penalizing Melee for Ganondorf/Falcon being there versus if Ganon didn't exist).

Before Z-cancelling degenerates the game into infinites.

Then again I haven't played low-tech Melee in a while, maybe I'm biased by wavedashing's normalizing effect on the cast.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
melee is even less diverse without wavedashing imo.

and i feel like in smash the characteristics of your charcter matter alot more than in fighters. like the actual weight of your character and how they move takes more of your consideration than it does in fighters.. once you learn your characters combos and the scenarios that you can use them in then your character kinda moves on its own in fighters and does its own weird thing by simply doing the standard inputs. i feel like in smash it demands your constant attention and highly differentiates good players from average ones. idk how relevant this is to diversity in the cast, but i think it adds to the diversity of smash games and imo they are more diverse than fighters. maybe you have different types of characters but they dont really differentiate that much from the standard procedures of the game imo so they arent really all that different to the players, they just seem different to onlookers... in fighting games.

god i need to learn to talk better and communicate more effectively through text.

there is less movement overall in fighting games too (most of it is done through combos) so thats another reason why physical characteristics dont play as much of an impact than they do in smash. which is basically all movement save a coupld good reads every stock or so.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
(that is, if I'm penalizing Melee for Ganondorf/Falcon being there versus if Ganon didn't exist).
The only characters I would say are actually clones of each other in melee are Doc And Mario, just because they play so similarly.

Characters like Ganon/Falcon or Marth/Roy or Fox/Falco may have the same visual moves, but they are played so differently from each other that you can hardly consider them to be clones.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i feel like ness and lucas are clones in brawl even though i know theyre not.

maybe i am just not forcccccced to play against them all that differently because neither charcter poses that much of a threat to anyone in the higher tiers so it makes them feels like tier clones or something lol.

yeah dude, i think tier clones exist. like, i play all of f tier basically the same lol. honestly, falcon is the only low tier that i find has alot of options that are midly dangerous to me that force me to consider him as a real Matchup and differentiate him, call me crazy tho..
no forreal im calling more falcon mains come out after the mk ban settles in. the character isnt all that bad. he has lots of set-ups. i'd pick him over lucas or ness...

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i just played F.A.E.'s Lucas for couple hours a couple days ago (probably the best or second best lucas) and i won roughly 75% of the games. and im nowhere near his skill level. i know Lucas has a bunch of tricks and stuff up his sleeve, but deep down he is still very much Lucas aka trash tier lol. you just have to keep alot of his fancy stuff in mind while fighting him.
if he cant do that and if he cant utilize his lagless stuff then he is just kinda bleeehh.

i feel like mario is the same way. he has alot of stuff he can do but if you just simply dont let him combo you or fireball pressure you into something stupid then he is a very predictable character. he has no kill set-ups that you dont see coming from a mile away, also.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i mean, it was over wifi though. so i feel like im not entitled to brag :(
yeah, he told me he beat you, reflex so i was kinda suprised to be winning matches against him. another reason i dont feel like i can brag because i thought 1. he was either sandbagging 2. the lag or 3. ddd is a very bad Mu for lucas (it seemed like that)

so bleeeeeh FAE beating reflex irl kinda counters my point of lucas being invalid. but i still think he kinda sucks. why did you lose to lucas reflex?? lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the word "clone" doesn't mean much. e.g dr. mario and falcon are obviously not clones, but you can play them using almost exactly the same button inputs lol (except twice as fast for falcon, and just use falcon nair instead of a projectile lawl)

there are a few characters whose optimal metagame strays from the normal 'dashdance/wavedash spacing, shuffle aerial->" basic melee gameplay. but mostly the the generic strat for all characters lol

in 64 its like, dash dance, do move that puts your opponent in the air, death combo. with every character lmfao

in brawl the game revolves a lot more around positioning and grabbing, but the tools are used the same way. with almost every character, retreating fair is a good spacing/baiting tool for example.

i generally wreck lucases with snake, but I played Mekos on wifi one time and literally did not know what to do. he was running circles around me.
reflex used to beat metaknights with falcon, but i guess people eventually learned how to play the character.
falcon sucks though. The thing with most low tiers is they rely heavily on gimmicks. and once you learn the gimmicks, they literally can't do anything to you anymore. as opposed to high tiers, who also rely on gimmicks, but also have ridiculously awesome movesets to back it up.

i think Mario is kind of underrated as a character though.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
marios upb is the single most broken thing in all of smash period.

janito when you gonna pick up donkey king anyways lol this dude was like "look imma take reflex over the limit this year yo nah this day with this donkey kong tho dude like i was like yo reflex dat ****s even matchup in your favor at least and I THINK that imma **** that *** bend over **** that *** SOCCER FIELD MINIVAN **** that *** and then sean kingston tap dat *** with this donkey kong"

but all i saw dude do was show up be like nah im out this tourney yall and yall dont even know the mad talkin go down with him an that donkey kong tho

MARTIN LUTHER KONG HE GOT A DREAM THO lookin like u wrote kanye songs

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lol you like charlie sheen on that spin city **** tho LOL he said "donkey kong" or some **** like that

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
marios upb is the single most broken thing in all of smash period.

janito when you gonna pick up donkey king anyways lol this dude was like "look imma take reflex over the limit this year yo nah this day with this donkey kong tho dude like i was like yo reflex dat ****s even matchup in your favor at least and I THINK that imma **** that *** bend over **** that *** SOCCER FIELD MINIVAN **** that *** and then sean kingston tap dat *** with this donkey kong"

but all i saw dude do was show up be like nah im out this tourney yall and yall dont even know the mad talkin go down with him an that donkey kong tho

MARTIN LUTHER KONG HE GOT A DREAM THO lookin like u wrote kanye songs
lol you like charlie sheen on that spin city **** tho LOL he said "donkey kong" or some **** like that
This post is the best post.

For relevancy, Mekos ****ing WRECKS with Lucas.
Like I seriously don't know how. -.-

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
but yeah, ive never played MEKOS before. id like to. id also like to play FAE offline i imagine lucas is really limited on wifi.

ive been watcing alot of TL videos and this character is also really really technicle. i didnt think he was this technicle. i know im spelling that word wrong..

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh um i guess triple post, but is birmingham free to smash any time tommorow, monday, or wednsday? lemme know if anyone wants to on any of those days or nights cuz ill be able to play on those days.

oh, but if anyone is having a smashfest or wants to have me over the night to smash on friday, im good for friday, but im just leaving friday open for that occasion, so thats why i didnt mention it in my free days. but technically its a free day for me.

LETS DO IT BIG AT THIS TOURNEY BHAAAAM. or like lets all get past round two.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The only characters I would say are actually clones of each other in melee are Doc And Mario, just because they play so similarly.

Characters like Ganon/Falcon or Marth/Roy or Fox/Falco may have the same visual moves, but they are played so differently from each other that you can hardly consider them to be clones.
I didn't use the word clone. I just think Ganon and Falcon are more similar than 64 Pikachu and 64 Kirby (again, without Z-cancelling)

64 Luigi is more of a clone than either pair.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Slam is just gunning for #1 on the posting power rankings.

Montgomery Thursday and AUSOM Saturday. It's a good week.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Wish I could join you, but, school on Thursday and work on Friday prevents me. :(

I'll see you at AUSOM, at least.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
cerebella suffers from Tager syndrome. she has by far the best move for move damage output in the game. but she's slow as **** and its hard for her to get in. She's unviable without an assist imo. She seems to be one of the most popular characters on xbox live though (probably because Mike Z was playing her in early videos)
Everyone is playing Valentine, Parasoul and Cerebella. I have rarely fought any Filias or Ms. Fortunes, and have yet to fight a Double or Painwheel

So far, I think Valentine and Parasoul might be the best characters. i'm maining Filia right now. she is really good too, but she's weird. Like she's clearly a rush down character, but they didn't give her an overhead, and she has her 236P, which seems to be a zoning move lol why does she have that. I think she's supposed to be the "basic" character, because she only has 3 special moves, and no command normals. She doesn't build meter very well, but she kind of doesn't need to. But again this is weird, because she has a pretty beast level3 super. but its something that almost never gets used.
it's interesting because every character has the same amount of health. This makes me think that there's going to be very clear tier list. But maybe i'm wrong.

but this is based on like 15 hours of gameplay total.

also, slam has a WAYS to go if he wants to take my title on the posting power rankings :)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Cerebella is pants on head ******** and a lot faster than a grappler has a right to be. Dunno what game you're playing.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The people I've talked to are pretty confident that Cerebella is the best character in the game. Of course she would be, if Mike Z had anything to say about it. :p

Silly mix-ups that put people in the perfect position to get grabbed. Ridiculous damage output. Stupid range. A Dragon Punch.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Don't forget the projectile reflector. Cerebella will still get locked down for free with the right assist, but she's still super ridiculous.

Duchock, you were never not riding with me.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Duchock, you were never not riding with me.
Where are you guys going?

And of all places to find a nearby competitive melee scene (no items, wavedashing, tier list knowledge etc), some random birmingham southern college fraternity plays daily, with smashnights every tuesday.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Let's ban Brinstar. Totally happy to talk about it on the ASL TOs thread.

I hope I get to keep my postbit, though.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The day has finally come. I disagree with something Reflex has said.

Let it begin.

But only when I'm off of SWF Mobile.

Top Bottom