• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Guys, I thought I'd share with you something that I'd constantly think of while working the display bar at a restaurant.

I'd totally hate you all if I worked Saturday nights at I Hop.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
----me and janitor have number 1 and 2 spots on LOCK though for the posting power rankings lol
i dont get drunk that much and have a smartphone like janitor does. i feel like thats a pretty big factor in it lmaaoo.
-----also, i think brinstar needs to go.
-----and LOL@ cheap joining a smash frat :D:D

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I was going to edit, but that post helps too.

Ryker, I'll be moving AGAIN to Biloxi, Mississippi in possibly 2 weeks to live with my family again and will be there until they fix the boat and move to PC, Florida. Since it's only an hour drive I wouldn't mind driving to a couple of smashfests and what not and being a part of the community again.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i feel like cerebellas lack of speed is a major hinderence to her. but maybe the people i've been playing just don't know how to approach.

anyway I seem to be picking up this game pretty well, probably because its easy and not too technical lol. i had similar succes with brawl, and marvel 3, and even sfvt
i'm winning most of my matches online at least.

also I'm starting to believe that going solo is sub optimal. might have to find a second character.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im just wondering what the chances are of the ASL unbanning mk if everyone one else does it.
just trying to wonder if to get my hopes up or not.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
honestly half the community didn't even ban MK when the URC had that rule. and ASL certainly didn't consider "what everyone else was doing" when they made the rule.

all this just proves two things A. brawl is a dumb game that needs constant tweaking and politics for it to be even remotely playable and B. this community is a bunch of whiny scrubs that can't stfu and just play the game and realize you can't get everything your way.

having a universal ruleset is clearly a desirable thing in any kind of community that wants to be taken seriously. and our dumb game and dumb community made this become an impossibility.

this is why we can't have nice things

wait are there no dummy options in skull girls?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
the game honestly isnt that dumb though. it gets a bunch of crap talk it doesnt deserve. i mean, we've been playing it for like three years and it has survived this long so that in itself proves sommething. Brawl has had a longer lifespan than alot of games. think about the ones that have come out and their scene has died even just ever since brawl was released. i feel like that says something.

but yeah, id rather just ask and see if its a possibility that ASL may change. if people are interested id be interested in having a civil discussion and also a real discussion that is open to the community to discuss the whole thing. the banning of him consisted of the ASL backroom getting together then facebook mesaging the community and asking their opnion on the ban. they wouldnt even give a reason as to why they were asking, (i asked) and then the next day coming on here and being like "yeah we took a vote and we asked people if they liked mk and they said no but that didnt even really matter because we had already decided to ban him"

id like it to be a little more open to the public and handled better if there is a debate about whether to un-ban him or not in the ASL. if you guys dont think there is going to be one and are set on keeping him banned then id also kinda like to know that also. idk if thats asking too much.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I'm pretty intent on keeping the ruleset the same for the rest of season 2, and I'm pretty sure the current TOs Committee will back me on that.

Season 3's ruleset is up in the air as far as I'm concerned. If GA unbans him and a lot of other states start unbanning him, then I'm not sure it would be fair to our players to keep him banned. The ultimate decision lies in the hands of the next TOs committee, but I don't want that to be the only reason people try to get on the committee. Committee members have a lot of responsibilities outside of just voting on a ruleset. I'm going to make sure we actually take a poll in the community about what everyone thinks of a MK ban, but I'm not going to do it soon. I may do it next month or the month after. We originally banned him with the community's interests in mind, but we will definitely take into account more outside opinions this time around.

I will say that we already admitted that we didn't handle the ban well. It was a decision we made early in ASL's lifespan, and we didn't realize how much we needed to consult the community to do something like that. I don't regret the ban itself, but I do regret how we handled it by not giving the community an explanation and not letting them in on the discussion. Part of the reason we just posted it was because we thought that MK ban discussion was not allowed in this section of the forum.

However, whenever we open up our discussions to the community, almost every time no one seems to really care that much. For instance, we had a skype meeting recently where we discussed the fate of Resist as an ASL tournament (nothing decided yet). I opened the meeting up to the community, but no one outside of the TOs group showed up. The more interest you guys show, the more we will let you in on what we are planning/discussing.

EDIT: This may be a terrible thing for a president to say, but I really don't care that much about what ruleset we use. I want to find something that most of the community will be happy with and leave it be. My main focus in the ASL is making sure events have sufficient funding, are scheduled appropriately, and run smoothly. I also want to focus on getting new and old players involved and excited about being part of the community. Given that, rulesets honestly weren't on my radar until the URC disband cooked up a discussion in this thread. I have opinions on it, but they aren't strong ones. Once the discussion comes, don't be surprised if I let everyone else do most of the talking.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont care either. to be honest, at this point I just play the game because i think its fun and you guys have made it cheap. I really am not concerned with all the rule tweaking and politics that is needed to make this stupid game competitively viable. if it gets too annoying i'll just stop playing

i obviously have opinions about the rules, but i have opinions about everything

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm never going to another MK Legal tournament outside of the occasional college locals in my area which are free money.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
the game honestly isnt that dumb though. it gets a bunch of crap talk it doesnt deserve. i mean, we've been playing it for like three years and it has survived this long so that in itself proves sommething. Brawl has had a longer lifespan than alot of games. think about the ones that have come out and their scene has died even just ever since brawl was released. i feel like that says something.

but yeah, id rather just ask and see if its a possibility that ASL may change. if people are interested id be interested in having a civil discussion and also a real discussion that is open to the community to discuss the whole thing. the banning of him consisted of the ASL backroom getting together then facebook mesaging the community and asking their opnion on the ban. they wouldnt even give a reason as to why they were asking, (i asked) and then the next day coming on here and being like "yeah we took a vote and we asked people if they liked mk and they said no but that didnt even really matter because we had already decided to ban him"

id like it to be a little more open to the public and handled better if there is a debate about whether to un-ban him or not in the ASL. if you guys dont think there is going to be one and are set on keeping him banned then id also kinda like to know that also. idk if thats asking too much.
Dude are you insane? I've had so many ****ing discussions with you in this thread about MK and you just don't listen. Your key point has always been that he isn't a problem in this region. Which is untrue and irrelevant.

Season 3's ruleset is up in the air as far as I'm concerned. If GA unbans him and a lot of other states start unbanning him, then I'm not sure it would be fair to our players to keep him banned.
See above post.

I will say that we already admitted that we didn't handle the ban well. It was a decision we made early in ASL's lifespan, and we didn't realize how much we needed to consult the community to do something like that. I don't regret the ban itself, but I do regret how we handled it by not giving the community an explanation and not letting them in on the discussion. Part of the reason we just posted it was because we thought that MK ban discussion was not allowed in this section of the forum.
Part of? Thought that? That was ENTIRELY the reason.

However, whenever we open up our discussions to the community, almost every time no one seems to really care that much. For instance, we had a skype meeting recently where we discussed the fate of Resist as an ASL tournament (nothing decided yet). I opened the meeting up to the community, but no one outside of the TOs group showed up. The more interest you guys show, the more we will let you in on what we are planning/discussing.
Oh, don't worry. Whatever happens, there will be people complaining in the thread. Welcome to public relations. No matter what you do, you're going to always hear the negative.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
yalls MK phobia is weird as ****, we have an insane amount of MK users and no one here has a problem with it.
That's kinda not at all what I remember from when the LA thread talked about it. You don't have a problem with it, but there was more than some issues.

Then Mura and I derailed it.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
So hyped for this.

p.s. going to the hospital today. Hope my recovery doesn't cause me to miss the fun.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ryker quit coming in here with an attitude and calling people "****ing insane" and stirring the pot again.

all of your "disccusions "with me happened after the ban though, which invalidates my point. you just backlashed at me being salty. those were not conversations with any merit to them whatsoever. i am wanting us to we have a community discussion before yall make a decision or for you guys to at least inform the community of yall's stance on the issue if and when it arises... if yall dont have a problem with that then i am just peachy and that meets my demands.

geez and LOL at you not going to a non mk banned tourney again. dude wtf.....i feel there is no need to add fuel to the fire in the whiny smashers who say mk ruins the game area so please save your opnions to yourself like me and others are doing when this topic arises because everyone knows it is a fragile one that alot of people have alot of opnions on. thing is, ive come to grips, not being an "officer" in the ASL, that i do not have power to change anything and i am just going to play the game and not whine. now why should i do that as a mere stand-by spectator and then have to listen to someone who HAS the power to change things sit here and whine their butt off like a little child. to say the least its annoying to see and its aggrevating to know that those are the kind of motives that drive the ASL decisions. at least to a certain degree :/

also my only argument isnt that there isnt a mk problem. (but i dont see how that is irrelevant....... every other region says that it is relevant......) but basically when cam said that if other states around us start to un-ban him then you guys would have to consider to un-ban him or not, that is my largest concern right now. i am just concerened about keeping up with the nation and if not the nation then at the very least the ATL south. i dont want to seclude ourselves from the competitive scenes around us. thats basically my only point at this point and time and from what cam said, it seems like that is yalls largest concern also so we are on the same page so you can stop acting like someone is threatening you.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
ryker quit coming in here with an attitude and calling people "****ing insane" and stirring the pot again.

all of your disccusions with me happened after the ban though. im saying we should have a discussion before yall make a decision and have one open to the community. if yall dont have a problem with that then i am fine with that and that meets my demands.

geez and LOL at you not going to a non mk banned tourney again. dude, youre not even good enough to realize if he is broken or not at this point. youre just going off of what other people say. maybe if you are getting cheated out of **** i could understand you saying such a whiny baby thing to say but i 2-0'd your falco with d3 *****!!!!!

also my only argument isnt that there isnt a mk problem. basically when cam said that if other states around us start to un-ban him then you guys would have to consider to un-ban him or not, is my largest concern right now. i am just concerened about keeping up with the nation and if not the nation then at the very least the ATL south. i dont want to seclude ourselves from the competitive scenes around us. thats basically my only point at this point and time.
He's good enough to tell if the character ruins the tournament experience for him, and that's all he needs. No other justification is necessary for his personal concern. If Brawl tournaments were Ganon-only, I wouldn't go to tournaments unless they were free money, because I think that is boring. That's the same thing, and it's totally fine.

We're going to consider what our community wants to do in the making of the Season 3 ruleset. I imagine it might be possible for certain tournaments to "test" ruleset changes, too. Maybe a Huntsville tournament will be MK-legal. Maybe an Auburn tournament will have no LGL.

Granted, this might not be the system we use (in fact, it probably won't, if only to prevent division within the community), but, I don't see why it wouldn't be a possibility to see what's popular.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
well thanks for responding with responses, reflex lol and you qouted my edited post before i got to edit it. oh well.... meeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Perhaps we should come up with a panel or commission that is not the TOs committee which can come up with or recommend a ruleset to ASL. I am talking about a handful of highly skilled and knowledgeable players from AL/GA. Of course, MK's legality would still be polarizing, but it would give the community a chance to pick smart, qualified people to come up with a ruleset without them having to be TOs. As a TO myself, I have great respect for organizers overall and all the work they do, but being an organizer doesn't automatically qualify you to decide on a ruleset.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
well, cam. i did edit my post about ryker not being good enough to know if mk is broken or not bc i found it to be offensive to him, untrue (he isnt a bad player), and also some other things like that. i realized i was saying it out of irritation and my statements were pretty untrue.

i mean, reflex is a great player. but i just wanna know why i feel silly for thinking that you guys should be making decisions with other people's interests in mind and not just the members interests. also i feel silly for thinking that the ruleset should cater more to competition and not to personal preferance and enjoyability. both of these things reflex seems to disagree with me about.

blah i feel like im just digging the hole deeper than it needs to be dug. especially since its kinda soon to even be worrying about all of this.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
but i just wanna know why i feel silly for thinking that you guys should be making decisions with other people's interests in mind and not just the members interests. also i feel silly for thinking that the ruleset should cater more to competition and not to personal preferance and enjoyability. both of these things reflex seems to disagree with me about.
I don't think he disagrees with you on that. The original reasoning for the decision wasn't personal interest. Part of it was that we wanted to see how our scene would benefit with him gone. The Smash community had been talking and talking about it but very few people had actually taken action. ASL was young, and we wanted to prove that we could actually act on things like this. The other part is that most of the committee thought he needed to go for various "brokenness" reasons. I hesitate to say broken because that is a loaded word, but I can't think of a better way to put it.

Are you referring to ASL members? We cater to people who are part of the ASL because that's our scene. Our ruleset isn't going to have a big impact on non-ASL players.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
dude there is no way cerebella is the best character in this game. she can not get in on any kind of keep away game whatsoever. She's tager bro
peacock/cerebella is like 70/30 right now lol

edit well i forgot about the reflector. but still its pretty bad. so is parasoul

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Parasoul isn't bad for Cerebella without an assist. With an assist it's worse, but still not horrendous.

I haven't been exposed to Peacock in large quantities yet.

Solution: Get a second character to help you get in and make them regret the day they were born because Cerebella is ********.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As in every game where they are available to you, at least one assist is necessary all the time, IMO.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
like as soon as the assist goes away you call it back in again. thats what i see MVC people do. i remember one time it was a hagar assist battle and like on of the hagars died bc they both just kept calling the assists and the assits would just hit each other then go away lmao.

but seriously as soon as it goes away i think youre suppose to call it in again lol assists are so dumb.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you can adequately protect them, that's just one extra attack to help you on-screen. Why wouldn't you?

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Duchock, glad you're alright!

Who all in b'ham is going to ausom?

If we don't legalize MK again, we will suck if we go OoS. =/

Haha slam, I'll never lack for drinks melee again.

I think I'm not strictly mainly anyone anymore, just moving between various characters that might work...which i should have been doing the whole time but haven't because I'd rather lose going all one character than win going four. Pride and stuff.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Duchock, glad you're alright!

Who all in b'ham is going to ausom?

If we don't legalize MK again, we will suck if we go OoS. =/

Haha slam, I'll never lack for drinks melee again.

I think I'm not strictly mainly anyone anymore, just moving between various characters that might work...which i should have been doing the whole time but haven't because I'd rather lose going all one character than win going four. Pride and stuff.
Nothing is stopping you from playing Meta Knight in friendlies and money matches. People do that in Georgia.

That, and I don't want to go to MK-legal events in the first place. Unless we're practically the last group doing that, I have no plans to go to any of them.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'm not convinced that going solo is "unviable" , I think the better player will still win the match. but i do think that 2 characters seems to be optimal at this point. 3 characters gives you a pretty ridiculous life lead, but pretty much any character can 100% you. parasoul has what appears to be the best assist in the game so far lol, but just like marvel, you can catch assists in your combos, and if you do with a solo character that is pretty much game point.

its pretty clear that they had MVC in mind when they made this game.

assists help cerebella, but i still don't think they boost her to "best in the game". an assist doesn't make it "easy" for her to get in, it just makes it "not impossible" lol but she's like the most popular character alongside valentine so i'm sure these dudes will figure everything out

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
parasoul has what appears to be the best assist in the game so far
Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

Double's Hornet Bomber Heavy.

assists help cerebella, but i still don't think they boost her to "best in the game". an assist doesn't make it "easy" for her to get in, it just makes it "not impossible" lol but she's like the most popular character alongside valentine so i'm sure these dudes will figure everything out
No one said an assist makes it "easy" for her. "Not impossible" is about all she needs. Maybe she isn't number one (who can tell at this point), but she's definitely top three.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Here's what will happen.

People like M2K and Ally will make themselves more of a verbal presence now that the unity people have disbanded. Everything they do will most likely be an attempt to get MK legal again so that they can play the game as they see fit. Their names will cause them to have undue weight on their opinions, and major tournaments who want to attract their presence will legalize MK just so they can get them to come. Thus, with the big tournaments heavily advertising that MK isn't banned at their tournaments, people will flock their local organizers to legalize MK so they can 'be competitive'.

End result: No one becomes competitive.

Top Bottom