• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
thats not all im saying

and im talking about bracket loses, ryker. ok here is all i can think of for bracket loses for me over the past two (seasons)
reflex
saint
4god
cam
AML
and p-1
and big lou at last weekends tournament

so yeah i left out p-1 and 4-god :/
but im just saying cam, saint, and reflex have beaten me like 6 or 7 times each while the other number one seeds like 4god and p-1 have only faced and beaten me once. im just saying if i lost to someone other than cam or reflex in bracket (saint hasnt been coming alot lately) then im gonna hard pressed to remember who it was.

and ok cam, sorry but thats my opinion. i personally dont think someone as skilled as spade is viably afraid of anyone on the PR except top three, and i think he is just throwing all those names out there and saying they werent easy matchups just to hard counter my point and i know he isnt really scaredd of allllll of those players. i mean, im just calling bull**** on that. unless spade is really that unsure of himself and doesnt really know what he is doing actualy.

also in news, rag just said "**** everyone on the AL PR yall are weak im gunning fro GA folks" in case everyone missed that :p

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
No one in Alabama is "good" except Reflex, elev8, and Billy. and probably rag. and mayyybe spade. its hard for me to judge him because personally i dont find him more of a challenge than anyone else. i mean he historically beats me obviously, but not any harder than anyone else. but he seems to beat everyone below him pretty consistently. has spade ever fought rag?

We're basically good enough to beat casuals and new players. Who else do we beat consistently? lol i suppose spade is a unique spot, because he beats most of the PR people regularly, but loses to those above him regularly as well.

we all spotdodge whenever someone rolls behind us, and spotdodge way too much in general. we're all pretty subpar at recovery options. We all have shaky execution. We all have limited character matchup knowledge. We're bad. Please Alabama don't start thinking that you're good lol we will never progress if we start thinking we're tough ****. GA comes here and YAO MING FACES while they roflstomp their way to winners semis, which is when they probably actually start having fun. that's why slam gets frustrated at you guys because he knows you're all bad. the thing is, so is he. and so am i. lol

also, rag is just saying he's tired of GA taking all the money in our tournaments. if top 3 was all AL I think rag would be satisfied no matter who he personally lost too.

i think way pools and brackets are seeded are fine. I had opportunities to take rounds from both Spade and Micaelis in my pool, and those are the people that i have to learn to beat if i want to get better seeds. I don't want an easy bracket. I want to be able to beat everybody.
tbh I get kind of excited now when i have to face someone good. i'm like OOH THIS MIGHT BE MY TIME

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i hate when people tell me "you're improving" on wifi. I'm like its wifi bro you only killed me because my shield didn't come up when i pressed the button.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
For goodness sakes though, there's honestly no point to busting Alabama players' chops all the time. Okay, so we lose to GA a lot. That doesn't mean we're not good, we just aren't as good as them. We aren't getting delusions of grandeur over here, and we aren't going to stop trying to get better.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Don't forget Marth's arms. I hate his stupid arms.

Side note: this PR ranking talk is getting a little overboard. A system only represents what it tests. In this case, it's pools matches followed by seeded brackets. Moreover, it self perpetuates success. Pools results are pretty much decided when they're being set up, more or less.

You're placed in a pool based on two things: region (so you're not matched up against anyone you play with often) and skill (one "big shot" for each pool, followed by a couple of veterans you know will make it out of pools, then spread out the remainder). In this set up, if you've at least heard of everyone participating, then you already know who is going to beat who. Not a very hard puzzle to put together. The hard hitters already know they're not going to lose pools and that they're very likely going to get first seed, thus practically ensuring first round success. Some say this is how the system should be, some say it shouldn't.

The catch is, what exactly is being measured? I know the ELO system being used takes into account how high ranked the people you beat are, so why does this sort of carefully doctored pools and brackets placement matter? Take an RPG metaphor for example. Your character is level 10. You could stay back in level 8 territory and kill guys nonstop all day with a 99% chance you'll win each battle. Or you could venture into level 12 territory and only have a 55% chance to win. The guy who hangs around level 8s will artificially look better than the one who is forced against level 12s, even with a 55% chance of success because he's proved he can beat the same people lower than him over and over. In an ELO system, you inflate your numbers at a much more safe and overall efficient way by repeatedly playing only people you can reliably beat. Now, you can take from this that the person who is truly 'the best' will beat everyone no matter what, and thus have the highest ranking. This is fine for finding the person on top, but this doesn't do much for everyone in between to be subjected to a system that carefully arranges everything.

Let me close by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about. And that I haven't played Reflex in a tournament (or any other setting for that matter) since Montgomery a long time ago. And that was a doubles match.
Elo accounts for differences in ability. If there is literally no chance you will be upset, then you will gain literally no elo. Of course, it takes time for the elo system to recognize where the gaps are, which is why sample size is crucially important.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
No one in Alabama is "good" except Reflex, elev8, and Billy. and probably rag. and mayyybe spade. its hard for me to judge him because personally i dont find him more of a challenge than anyone else. i mean he historically beats me obviously, but not any harder than anyone else. but he seems to beat everyone below him pretty consistently. has spade ever fought rag?

We're basically good enough to beat casuals and new players. Who else do we beat consistently? lol i suppose spade is a unique spot, because he beats most of the PR people regularly, but loses to those above him regularly as well.

we all spotdodge whenever someone rolls behind us, and spotdodge way too much in general. we're all pretty subpar at recovery options. We all have shaky execution. We all have limited character matchup knowledge. We're bad. Please Alabama don't start thinking that you're good lol we will never progress if we start thinking we're tough ****. GA comes here and YAO MING FACES while they roflstomp their way to winners semis, which is when they probably actually start having fun. that's why slam gets frustrated at you guys because he knows you're all bad. the thing is, so is he. and so am i. lol

also, rag is just saying he's tired of GA taking all the money in our tournaments. if top 3 was all AL I think rag would be satisfied no matter who he personally lost too.

i think way pools and brackets are seeded are fine. I had opportunities to take rounds from both Spade and Micaelis in my pool, and those are the people that i have to learn to beat if i want to get better seeds. I don't want an easy bracket. I want to be able to beat everybody.
tbh I get kind of excited now when i have to face someone good. i'm like OOH THIS MIGHT BE MY TIME
Shove it.

I'm not scared at all of DRN, P-1, Hero, Dyno, or AML. The back three I'm fairly confident in my ability to beat on a consistent basis except MAYBE Dyno and I'll put my money on it if challenged. Looking at GA's PR thread, that's five of ten and I'm looking forward to playing P3 and McP because I haven't had a chance to yet.

You're the one with the defeatist outlook, so don't shove it down my throat and say I can't improve while having confidence. Don't tell me that AL sucks *** because in a crew match where we play top 10 vs. top 10 with the two current PRs, I think AL takes it with stocks to ****ing spare.

You REALLY irritate me when you say that we suck in comparison "except for our top four or five" when the only sample size you're comparing it to is the Georgia group that consistently travels. Who's that? Oh yeah, THEIR ****ING TOP FIVE!

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
thats not all im saying

and im talking about bracket loses, ryker. ok here is all i can think of for bracket loses for me over the past two (seasons)
Really? Bracket losses are cutting out one or two names from each tournament you've been to and are equally as important as bracket losses as they change who you would have played had you not lost.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
whatever.
we're all really bad and we'll see which mindset prevails.
p1 and drn would wreck you and me and everyone else 9 times out of 10 every time. whether or not you are scared of them doesn't change the fact that they will beat you lol

i dont really know anything about hero or dyno. aml is about at the same level as us.

i'm not "comparing" anyone to anyone else. Im saying people who have consistent bad habits and dont have matchup knowledge are bad. I'm not good, but its not hard to see when someone is playing on auto pilot and not playing smart, and making bad choices. we all do this all the time. good players don't. we all fit in that category except for the people mentioned. most of the GA players who visit our tournaments are mostly good, and find most of our players to be no challenge. I didnt mean to say GA > AL. I just mean micaelis, p1, drn and kismet are GOOD. and we are not.

im saying good people have their way with us. we are NOT a challenge to them. because we are bad. i dont even understand you can consider yourself good when there are people like p1 and reflex around who are obviously good and who are obviously on a completely different plane of skill than us.
but like i said whatever. i believe that you will progress at a slower pace by thinking you're good when you're not. prove me wrong if you think im wrong.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
i'm not "comparing" anyone to anyone else.
Please Alabama don't start thinking that you're good lol we will never progress if we start thinking we're tough ****. GA comes here and YAO MING FACES while they roflstomp their way to winners semis, which is when they probably actually start having fun.
Sure deosn't seem that way.

I dont even understand you can consider yourself good when there are people like p1 and reflex around who are obviously good and who are obviously on a completely different plane of skill than us.
but like i said whatever. i believe that you will progress at a slower pace by thinking you're good when you're not. prove me wrong if you think im wrong.
It probably has something to do with the way that I place consistently above the majority of players at every tournament after starting from that Mario that got double three stocked by everyone in his pool at Vulcan Gamebox II. It probably has to do with the way that I've managed to improve and close the gap on everyone who I am now ahead of that's been playing since that time. I've come damn far from where I once was and I'm going to continue to improve the same way. Are there players better than me? Yes. Is there a player I've ever played that I don't think I can dream of catching? No, and this includes M2K who murdered me round two at AUSOM 2. Outside of aforementioned player, Reflex, and Calvin, there's not a player who I don't think that, on my best day, I can't take a set from at my current skill level.

You can try to get better, all the while considering yourself trash, but I'm not going to sacrifice my self-esteem for a pessimistic lens to view my mirror through.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I think the bottom half of our PR goes back and forth with the bottom half of GA's. I know personally I've beaten AML 3 times in a row and I'm 1-1 with Hero. I haven't played Player 3, MC-Pee, or Dyno in tournament. I know iPuff beat Dyno and Ryker lost to him. Ryker has beaten AML as well. I'm not going to go through searching for the others, you get the point.

I think GA looks a lot better than us because we only ever really see their top 5 or so players. If Elev8, Reflex, Ragnarok, Billy, and Spade were the only ones to ever go to GA tournaments, we would look pretty good too.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
thats not all im saying

reflex
saint
4god
cam
AML
and p-1
and big lou at last weekends tournament

so yeah i left out p-1 and 4-god :/
but im just saying cam, saint, and reflex have beaten me like 6 or 7 times each while the other number one seeds like 4god and p-1 have only faced and beaten me once. im just saying if i lost to someone other than cam or reflex in bracket (saint hasnt been coming alot lately) then im gonna hard pressed to remember who it was.

and ok cam, sorry but thats my opinion. i personally dont think someone as skilled as spade is viably afraid of anyone on the PR except top three, and i think he is just throwing all those names out there and saying they werent easy matchups just to hard counter my point and i know he isnt really scaredd of allllll of those players. i mean, im just calling bull**** on that. unless spade is really that unsure of himself and doesnt really know what he is doing actualy.

also in news, rag just said "**** everyone on the AL PR yall are weak im gunning fro GA folks" in case everyone missed that :p
I usually don't say much during debates unless i feel its imperative. I think that this is a moment to. Im not gonna comment on the rag just said @@@@ everyone crap, cam ans T1j took care of that very well.

Me and spade have played(i forgot who asked that) and he beat me in pools 2-0. So he did something that you have never done already. You said that you play marth in friendlies so you understand his moves. So when you lose to spade you know exactly why you got yo *** whooped. Those matches that spade metioned might wasn't easy for him. List the matches that you won that wasn't easy for you...............o wait you don't have any wins. O, you said the pr didn't matter much, but we all been doing something that you havent been doing, WINNING matching that we need too stay on or get on there.You lost matches thats why you got knocked off and you continue too lose, that why you won't be on there. You feel like you should be on the pr don't you? Didn't you make it out of our pool? You should be happy with that. You complain too much.

@T1j: Everybody hold themsevles at a standard of what a good player is. I don't feel like im a good player. But I think a good player wins nationals like ally, m2k, ect. So thats what i want to be. So til then i suck. This is what i tell my myself before i walk into a tourney. "Everybody here is better than me so i need to play as smart and safe as possible." Ryker mindset is alot different for mind. As a matter a fact is the polar opposite(I Yamcha and I'm fina beat the **** of out perfect cell) I don't understand it. I guess I don't suppossed to. But that whats help him gets better. But my low-self esteem as a play helps me. Cause i don't wanta suck so it makes me wanta get better. I see what your mind set is on what a good player is. I agree with it. But i know alot of other people may not. But Ryker has come a long way, i'll give the peice of trash that.

@Ryker: you think you good cause you sheild broke me last nite don't you, you peice of garbage. Try again today.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
well, i misunderstod rag when he said that then. im sure he meant something more like this, idk why i misunderstood him, also my bad rag but i just said what i thought you were saying but sorry for misunderstanding you
Shove it.

You're the one with the defeatist outlook, so don't shove it down my throat and say I can't improve while having confidence. Don't tell me that AL sucks *** because in a crew match where we play top 10 vs. top 10 with the two current PRs, I think AL takes it with stocks to ****ing spare.

You REALLY irritate me when you say that we suck in comparison "except for our top four or five" when the only sample size you're comparing it to is the Georgia group that consistently travels. Who's that? Oh yeah, THEIR ****ING TOP FIVE!
its not so much a "defietist outlook" as it a "realistic" one. if you want to get better in reality then getting a realistic outlook is probably a good idea imo. but like rag said, whatever works i guess you know. different people have their different ways.
but im pretty sure janitor isnt trying to tell you to get down on yourself, just to be more realistic and maybe itll help you realize where your bad spots are at easier.

and im sorry if it irritates you when people say that GA is way better than us. but ITS THE DAMN TRUTH THEY RAPEEEEE US THEY ARE ON A DIFFERENT LEVEL THAN US.

and dude, we should do that whole ten vs ten thing if that ever gets to happen. there would be **** all over the walls all over everything itd be crazy 40 stock lol nah im exagerating but yeah, IMO we'd get our ***** handed to us. :/

Really? Bracket losses are cutting out one or two names from each tournament you've been to and are equally as important as bracket losses as they change who you would have played had you not lost.
well i dont know, i was just talking about how ganked up brackets were so i was talking about bracket loses.

I think GA looks a lot better than us because we only ever really see their top 5 or so players. If Elev8, Reflex, Ragnarok, Billy, and Spade were the only ones to ever go to GA tournaments, we would look pretty good too.
it would look about the same as our tournaments though. and basically the good stuff starts happening when it gets down to GA people and reflex and maybe billy in brackets.
i dont think us traveling down there would mean a win on our part. georgia isnt beating us just because they only have their good people come down. we have two of our best people go to georgia frequently.
their beating us because they work together as a community alot and improve together alot and play together alot and are a really close community. Scatz and Scat and all of them are just as good as 4-god and all that stuff. basically all of their players are very very SOLID players and there are no huge skill gaps. youd be suprised that playing someone youve never heard of before (prior to last season had you heard of mc pe? or a little prior to a year and a half ago had you heard of 4-god? no, you hadnt, they were GA randoms that had it in them to do great just like everyone in GA does because they ALL play waaaay better than us and are simply shaped and molded better than us as players by their community) could be very similar to playing against big lou. they really do have a very tight knit community and they are all better as a result of it.
we arent very soild IMO

I usually don't say much during debates unless i feel its imperative. I think that this is a moment to. Im not gonna comment on the rag just said @@@@ everyone crap, cam ans T1j took care of that very well.

Me and spade have played(i forgot who asked that) and he beat me in pools 2-0. So he did something that you have never done already. You said that you play marth in friendlies so you understand his moves. So when you lose to spade you know exactly why you got yo *** whooped. Those matches that spade metioned might wasn't easy for him. List the matches that you won that wasn't easy for you...............o wait you don't have any wins. O, you said the pr didn't matter much, but we all been doing something that you havent been doing, WINNING matching that we need too stay on or get on there.You lost matches thats why you got knocked off and you continue too lose, that why you won't be on there. You feel like you should be on the pr don't you? Didn't you make it out of our pool? You should be happy with that. You complain too much.

@T1j: Everybody hold themsevles at a standard of what a good player is. I don't feel like im a good player. But I think a good player wins nationals like ally, m2k, ect. So thats what i want to be. So til then i suck. This is what i tell my myself before i walk into a tourney. "Everybody here is better than me so i need to play as smart and safe as possible." Ryker mindset is alot different for mind. As a matter a fact is the polar opposite(I Yamcha and I'm fina beat the **** of out perfect cell) I don't understand it. I guess I don't suppossed to. But that whats help him gets better. But my low-self esteem as a play helps me. Cause i don't wanta suck so it makes me wanta get better. I see what your mind set is on what a good player is. I agree with it. But i know alot of other people may not. But Ryker has come a long way, i'll give the peice of trash that.

@Ryker: you think you good cause you sheild broke me last nite don't you, you peice of garbage. Try again today.

i dont think i deserve to be on the PR, although people can assume that bc i "insult" PR'd people. im not really trying to insult anyone though. i was up for debate for the number ten spot but i dont even really see why because last season all i did was go to one tournament and lose.
i won one game in bracket at the last tournament so im improving and thats all i can say.
so at the end of this season i hope i am getting 3 or 4 bracket wins but i guess we'll just see how good of a player i can become. i dont think i deserve anything, i know i suck. i say it all the time. but this season im planning on attending more tournaments and seeing what i can do.
last season isnt really that good to judge me off of bc i only went to one tournament. but you can judge me off of that if you want cuz its fair to. if you only went to one tournament youd probably do a really good job and want to be judged off of that so you can judge me off of a ****ty tournament performance bc i guess all in all, its really where im at right now. im not good i never once said that i was. but you do have to admit that i know what im doing when you play me and that im not garbage either

also sorry for misunderstanding what you said. i wasnt trying to make you out to be a bad guy or anything. i even put a smiley face at the end of it, i was mostly kidding. but my bad forreal it really was just me misunderstanding that, i didnt mean anything by it lol

ragnarock

Smash Lord
well i misunderstood you. I was kinda pissed a lil bit. so my bad also. Ga players are better at the moment, but there not far away. All the good players are so scattered aout here that we don;t even play eachother at all. Till a tournement. If we were all in the same city we all it'll be better. Alot of people don't have the money to travel or the time. In my case is the money, if i made more ours at work, i would go to tourneys avery chance i get, but i can't. So im stuck wit trying to break old habits. Everybody in Al has gotten better including you. Just keep practicing when you have time and watch videos..etc. We all are going to catch up to Ga at this rate. At least i think so.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't see any evidence that either community is more close-knit than the other. When we see the GA players, they all have to ride in the same car, but that doesn't make them closer necessarily.

As far as skill goes, I do think they are better than us overall, but I also think we tend to exaggerate the skill gap there. Usually when we actually have our top players at a tournament (including Elev8 and Ragnarok), then the top 12 or top 8 is usually intermittent GA and AL players. A lot of our players are closing that skill gap if you watch their matches. Player-1 beat Rag 2-1 at the last tournament, not 2-0. I am closing in on Michael, even though I have yet to take a set off of him.

If acting like you are bad helps you play better, then so be it. But please don't put down everyone else, especially if they are improving (that's directed at Slam and Janitor). I tend to think positive reinforcement works better than negativity.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
well i misunderstood you. I was kinda pissed a lil bit. so my bad also. Ga players are better at the moment, but there not far away. All the good players are so scattered aout here that we don;t even play eachother at all. Till a tournement. If we were all in the same city we all it'll be better. Alot of people don't have the money to travel or the time. In my case is the money, if i made more ours at work, i would go to tourneys avery chance i get, but i can't. So im stuck wit trying to break old habits. Everybody in Al has gotten better including you. Just keep practicing when you have time and watch videos..etc. We all are going to catch up to Ga at this rate. At least i think so.
yeah its all good man. yeah you p much hit the nail on the head. everyone is GA lives in Atlanta area so that makes sense they practice more and whatnot.
I don't see any evidence that either community is more close-knit than the other. When we see the GA players, they all have to ride in the same car, but that doesn't make them closer necessarily.

As far as skill goes, I do think they are better than us overall, but I also think we tend to exaggerate the skill gap there. Usually when we actually have our top players at a tournament (including Elev8 and Ragnarok), then the top 12 or top 8 is usually intermittent GA and AL players. A lot of our players are closing that skill gap if you watch their matches. Player-1 beat Rag 2-1 at the last tournament, not 2-0. I am closing in on Michael, even though I have yet to take a set off of him.

If acting like you are bad helps you play better, then so be it. But please don't put down everyone else, especially if they are improving (that's directed at Slam and Janitor). I tend to think positive reinforcement works better than negativity.
idk ive been to GA tournaments and in the past ive been and i know they meet up at gaming stores alot and pracitce together alot, like every day type of thing. not sure how strong thats still going but i know they did this for a long time and big when they had waba. big lou would be there like everyday practicing with whoever and they all like hangout with each other too, they take it past smash and those people are like their best friends also. i mean, its just what ive always seen Georgia do. i could be assuming some or seeing things a bit skewed though.

and also, i think janitor is just saying to be more realistic and yeah sometimes reality is depressing. i understand thats not the only route to go though. but really we arent bagging on anyone just to bring them down (and in our eyes its not bagging on them either, assuming that i can speak for janitor and he agrees with everything im saying though lol) we're just trying to look at things realisticially. just saying that to clarify terms there.

but i do understand that i shouldnt shove this mindset down everyones throat bc for 1, it is a kind of depressing way of looking at things, 2. people probably just wanna have fun and not be critisized 24/7 (but for some reason me and jnaitor like that lol), and 3. this mindset isnt for everybody and people probably learn better other ways. so yeah to each his own.
so affirmitive, understood. never thought of it that way before.

but yeah, kevin, i dont wanna speak for you though so idk bout you tho lol

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
sorta like... mobile... which is ironically farther than georgia tournaments : (((((

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As far as I can tell, the GA players get together to play more often than the AL players. Their top 5-ish players have the advantage of pretty much all living about an hour away from each other.

Duchock, where does one go about buying an economy-size bag of gummy worms/gummy bears?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
can someone tell me how to change my name on here again or something? isnt it like, i have to pay somebody something? cuz i have my moms credit card lol

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Step 1: Don't live in a town like Phenix City.

Step 2: Find a friend who has a membership to a Sam's club and/or Costco.

Step 3: Search and conquerer.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
can someone tell me how to change my name on here again or something? isnt it like, i have to pay somebody something? cuz i have my moms credit card lol
User CP -> Premium Membership. I think you get, like, three name changes per month, but they don't carry over to the next month.

Step 1: Don't live in a town like Phenix City.
I'd fix that if I could. :(

I'll see what I can do, though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, you should try to take as much as possible from every match, win or lose. What was working? Why was it working? What stopped you?

You can build upon those things individually or as a result of multiple matches. I know what extra stuff I can use to beat mid-level players that would rarely work on high-level players. I figure out things about individual matchups by talking to people and asking them for general advice. Even without researching on the boards, these are the sorts of things that players have to do in order to continue to improve.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Don't tell me that AL sucks *** because in a crew match where we play top 10 vs. top 10 with the two current PRs, I think AL takes it with stocks to ****ing spare.
!
I have not read all of the last page of rants, but I found this to be absolutely hilarious.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Sure deosn't seem that way.
well I am telling you that i'm not lol

as i already said, what I meant by that is the GA players who do come to our tournaments are mostly good. the significant part of the sentence is not that they are from GA. the significant part is that they are good. and we are not. I really don't know anything about GA's community as a whole anymore. or how we'd do in a crew battle. if we'd beat them in a crew battle, that means they're bad too.

as a side note (because, like i said, i'm not really interested in comparing), i can't imagine us winning a crew battle. im not being defeatist or having low self esteem Im just being rational. they have kismet, p1, 4god, drn, and micaelis. All of them are better than like everyone on our PR except the top 2. they also have MCPeePants who I know nothing about except that he nearly took a set from Reflex. which i dont think any of us have ever done. i have a feeling that luis would be more effective if they played again though. if Lounis still played it'd be a wrap.

the rest.
so be it. I find your outlook to be flawed, but like I said, prove me wrong.

also, gummi worms don't expire do they lol you could probably order it from the internet. and i'm sure theres a sams in columbus right?

also, moar iron brawl vids plox

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
as a side note (because, like i said, i'm not really interested in comparing), i can't imagine us winning a crew battle. they have kismet, p1, 4god, drn, and micaelis. All of them are better than like everyone on our PR except the top 2. they also have MCPeePants who I know nothing about except that he nearly took a set from Reflex. which i dont think any of us have ever done. luis was probably SANDBAGGING DOE :-/ if Lounis still played it'd be a wrap.
But AL has a secret weapon huehuehuehue

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
I would just like to slip in this video (somewhat old but always relevant) from gimpyfish. It's about playing with the proper mindset and I know how this works from personal experience.

At The Iron Brawl III, I realized what playing with the proper mindset was not. And the wrong mindset, imo, is being afraid that you might lose. The key word is being *afraid.* Play confidently, and know that you can beat whoever it is that you're playing against. Don't be unrealistic and think "Oh I'm gonna wreck such and such," but just know that you are good, you know how to play your character. You know what's safe, isn't safe. You know.......nevermind I'll just post the vid.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=K9khDedACgY

This was partially for myself. I had the wrong mindset against some people last tourney and I'm going to be more confident next time.

:phone:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY
here's that link if the mobile link isn't working you guys (its not for me)

i agree that mindset is a part of what makes you "good".
but the idea that OMG if i just believe in myself i can beat ANYONE regardless of my actual skill. i don't agree with.

Personally, my strategy right now is to go into matches expecting to learn something.
I expect to lose to Reflex, I'm sorry. It is illogical in every way for me to assume anything else. if I ever beat reflex in my current skill level, HE ****ed up. it's not anything i did.
But as Slam indicated, I am not being "defeatist". I still play my hardest and I try to understand what he's doing that I can't get around. it is even more helpful when there are videos.

its a challenge when facing people closer to my own skill level though, like GEO or Spade or JMIX. because in those cases I dont' assume i'm going to lose, so its easy to become frustrated when you aren't doing well. but i think i have done so ****ty in tournaments laterly that I've become desensitized to it lol so I don't mind losing as long as I learn something.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Personally, my strategy right now is to go into matches expecting to learn something.
I expect to lose to Reflex, I'm sorry. It is illogical in every way for me to assume anything else. if I ever beat reflex in my current skill level, HE ****ed up. it's not anything i did.
But as Slam indicated, I am not being "defeatist". I still play my hardest and I try to understand what he's doing that I can't get around. it is even more helpful when there are videos.
Any game, even chess, has some luck and sampling variability. You might win the grab, attack, shield triangle for much of the game with sheer luck. You encounter things neither player has seen before, make a good guess about it, and succeed. Chess players will play unorthodox openings against better players to shake things up and try their best to hit a blind spot. M3t took a game off of Reflex this past tournament in pools, because he knew he had a chance to win and he knows that stage better than most other players. If he can do that, then it's definitely possible for a bottom five PR that's recently improved to upset him for complete set imo. I think it's possible for me to upset him when I play him in pools. If my odds of winning are .1%, how can I get to .2%? .3%? I think it's fun to strive to win every game. I don't know how you think you will learn to win games by going into a game you don't believe you can win, it's not the same. With that kind of attitude you're never going to go for a fancy gimp or risky move and you'll never learn if it works or not. You won't practice having a good mindset, setting up a road to victory. You'll just practice losing. At one tournament I got Reflex down to one stock by funkily gimping him with inhale. I've learned something that's a way I can mix it up (don't want to go for that every time ofc.) At Iron Brawl I tried a different strategy in some ways, it didn't work as well so I've found another way not to make a light bulb.

If you don't think you can beat Reflex, don't play him. I don't see how practicing deliberately losing games to top players will make you better at winning against midlevel players. Just skip your match and go play a friendly with someone. That way you'll at least practice the process of winning games.

Top Bottom