• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and i watched the first half of janitor vs spade's set and janitor shouldve won, he just lacked the technical skill to punish like 3 or so reallllllllllly important mistakes and he suicided. but then again if you have to say all those johns then the fact of the matter is you shouldnt of won lol.

but ima be hyping up thier sets cuz it was super close.

george and cam are on my hit list just cuz i have no idea how im ever going to beat kirby or pikachu and i feel like those two characters are the only thing holding me back from playing to my potential whatever that may be atm. if i get matched up against pika or kirby i just lose. i almost lost the set to that random kirby in my pool just because its kirby and frankly i have no idea how anyone even plays that matchup with ddd. if there had been a random pika in my pool i most certainly wouldve lost. its annoying. its not even a battle of skill at all just bc i am stuck on those MUs so hard and i think thats the most annoying thing in the world when that happens with a MU so im gonna try and change it to where if i lose at least ill lose knowing that i played to my potential.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I meant recorded as in noted on the bracket. You'll notice on some brackets it has numbers next to matches, like this one: http://alabamasmashleague.com/IB3 Brawl Singles Bracket.gif

Other times people don't take note of the set counts, like in this bracket: http://alabamasmashleague.com/HASLIIbrawlsingles.gif

We will always have the set counts from pools though because pools mandate that you note every game.

EDIT: As far as the Pikachu thing goes, I'm not sure what to tell people. The players in our state that know the matchup beat me much more often than those who don't (I guess if the gauge of matchup knowledge is that you win in tournament, then of course that's the case, haha). I've heard a complaint from more than just you that there's no one else to get Pikachu practice from, so everything is theoretical until you run into me in brackets :/ I know Jorge always beats me with D3 because I can never land a kill on him.

I'd be willing to teach someone from Birmingham how to Pika if that would help. Alternatively, you guys could come to Auburn more often, and we could get some matches in.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think spade underestimated me to begin with and started playing better by the third match. I should have won the set but I sd's and got gimped on the second match, after I had the lead.

i think you all are going to underestimate me at your peril. i missed a lot of tournaments but i've never been a pushover. none of you have had an "easy" matchup against me. i'm convinced that I am reading and studying and practicing harder than all of you, so just LOOK OUT SON. tbh I am seeing what keeps us all at the low level and Its a matter of learning matchups and correcting bad habits. we all have the same bad habits, and its a race to see who corrects them first, and I am convinced that i GOT THIS. LEARN THE SNAKE AND PIT MATCHUPS thats all i'm saying or else get scrubbed. we all get by on gimmicks but that **** is not gonna work in the long run.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I will end you.

$10 at Resist. Speaking of Resist, I've got to get that thread up today after I get the address seeing as I've misplaced the business card I have from the hotel.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I don't underestimate you Janitor. I've seen your matches vs JMIX and 4GOD; I know you have game, but I do think it's funny that everytime someone beats you, they suddenly get on the PR.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the PR list is gonna probably continuously shift for a while as people vie for position.
I used to be a pretty standard addition to the list for years, so an unranked beating me was considered a notable win for a while. my value is obviously dropping but i intend to change that lol

but I do think that now that we have consistent tournaments, after a while we will settle in and we will see clearly who our best players are. and maybe only see slight shifts every now and then. hopefully i am one of them.

spotdodges are like the mainthing thats ****ing me up. i noticed that in almost all of my recent matches that have been close, i take a lot of damage because of not knowing how to deal with spotdodges, or by reading moves that just happen to be unpunishable or something and getting spotdodged

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Rolling the dice~

For weaker players, spotdodges tend to be fairly obvious, so when you know how to make them spotdodge and how to punish them when you know they're coming, they become easy pickings.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
yeah it is just inconsistent when I can punish moves. like I hesitate for a single frame that could mean the difference between me getting spotdodged or landing the punish. or I probably just need to learn matchups better. Just based on history I assume that if a character does an aerial I can shield grab it, regardless of if it autocancels. NOPE. not all the time. or maybe i'm too slow SHRUG

and also i dont know how ot punish the good spotodges with my characters lol

against most character hold jab, jab, ftilt or grab works with snake.
none of that works against falco or pika unless you get lucky or have god like reactions
pivot grab works if they have bad reactions, but they can jab you before i'm pretty sure.
dair works sometimes, but it still occasionally gets powershielded, and sometimes you get punished even if you hit with it lol.

nothing works against falco/pika spotdodge with pit except repeated jab, which can be DI'd and punished hard.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Spade can only win when my *** is in the chair next to him.
QFT. That is all. 'cept I also have sleep johns for The Iron Brawl III. I had 2 hours of sleep and my focus/reading comprehension/playing was somewhat auto-pilotish.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSS5dEeMX64

^Necessary Music^

Alright, so there's this thing I need to stop doing. It's called getting blown up. To do that, I've managed to find a training system that guarantees that I'll be ready to accomplish my next goal by Resist.

It's called plan "Hey Spade, $10 Money Match at Resist. Tournament rule set. Three out of five. Character locked. Marth vs. Falco. On the manly TV."

This is the end for you. I refuse to continue getting my *** handed to be by the homo-erotic swordsman.

Note: Offer to T1J still stands. Terms of the match are negotiable.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i wanna MM spade or ELO match some people if anyone wants to do ELO vs my mk lol bc thats the only reason why i would do that so i can use my favorite character again.
im not bagging on spade but im just bringing up that.... that dude always has like the EASIEST bracket ever. idk why but its traight up freeness until he gets to micaelis or kismet or something. he seriously has the most consistantly free brackets out of anyone i have ever seen before.

but anyways, you guys know most places dont even abide by the mk banned rules. most "legit/reigional" tournaments allow mk still. : /

biggest bummer ever.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I don't even care about beating anybody or being beat by anybody in alabama anymore. As a matter a fact **** the PR. Im buying some f***ing charcoal for those GA players. I'ma have them on my damn grill...... I promise.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
i wanna MM spade or ELO match some people if anyone wants to do ELO vs my mk lol bc thats the only reason why i would do that so i can use my favorite character again.
im not bagging on spade but im just bringing up that.... that dude always has like the EASIEST bracket ever. idk why but its traight up freeness until he gets to micaelis or kismet or something. he seriously has the most consistantly free brackets out of anyone i have ever seen before.

but anyways, you guys know most places dont even abide by the mk banned rules. most "legit/reigional" tournaments allow mk still. : /

biggest bummer ever.
What do you consider easy? All of my sets were close, and I had to play against both PR'd and non-PR'd people alike....

Last week at the Iron Brawl III I played against Ryker, BigLou, M3t, Ingulit, and Micaelis.

At Hasl II I played against Ryker, Cam, Kismet, Player-1, and Player(-)3. All PR'd so you can't say ****.

At Resist I got a bye, played against Pops (we always play and go pretty even) just to meet up with Kismet, then I played against Cam and Ragnarok. Nothing easy yet.

At The Iron Brawl II I played against George, Will, Micaelis, and Kismet. Nothing all that easy yet.

At AUSOM IV I played against M3t, Dyno, JMIX, Hero, and DRN.

And way back at HASL I I played against Levi, Dan's MK, Cheap, Kola (salty Marth ditto), and Billy.

Were any of these matches easy? Sure. But the important part is I have just as many hard matches as easy matches. Maybe this is related to my skill level and not the Bracket setup? People tend to have easier sets if they either
A. Get first seed in pools/
B. Are better than other people
or
C. Get lucky.

I'm pretty sure all of these things have happened to me, and I am only as lucky as everyone else. So please don't complain about me always getting an easy bracket. Because I don't.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i cant afford to do a 10 dollar money match against a character that I dont know how to fight lol
spade gets easy brackets because he's always first or second in his pool. and he's better than everyone who doesn't normally get 1st seed in their pool.
he doesn't run into, like reflex or kismet first round because of his seed. if I would beat him at ironbrawl he probably would have had reflex first round in my place :-/

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
i cant afford to do a 10 dollar money match against a character that I dont know how to fight lol
spade gets easy brackets because he's always first or second in his pool. and he's better than everyone who doesn't normally get 1st seed in their pool.
he doesn't run into, like reflex or kismet first round because of his seed. if I would beat him at ironbrawl he probably would have had reflex first round in my place :-/
This too. I apologize for the amount of salt in my previous post as well. Doesn't mean I don't stand behind what I said though.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
most 3rd seed brackets look like this

vs. reflex
vs. considerably easier opponent than reflex
vs. kismet

:/

i know your easier brackets are a result of you doing well in your pools im not saying you arent a good player im just saying you do have easy brackets. damn. and the PR literally doesnt mean anything you can say "oh im fighting a hard fight becasue this person is PR'd" but in the back of your mind do you really find yourself scared to fight that person and honestly thinking that you are probably gonna lose to them? hell no. our PR is screwed to hell and back and everyone knows that lol. so dont use the whole PR thing i dont think it really even counts in AL except for top three.

basically i can name the two people who you are losing to at each of those tournaments. and those two people i usually meet up with in the first and third rounds of every tournament.
im just saying this, why you so salty? im not saying youre bad im saying your pool placement gets you somehow really good bracket placement every tournament, if you think those are hard brackets look at nearly everyone else's and espicially look at the number 2 and 3 seeds from pools and know how much harder they could be lol if i were you i wouldnt be getting so salty about brackets damn

ive been beaten by double reflex in probably over four tournaments lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
spade isn't some lucky guy though.
if you do well in pools you get an easier bracket lol that's just something that happens. it doesn't only happen to spade, it happens to everyone lol
and brackets are easier for spade because he's good lol.

if I have to fight ryker, cam, and jmix in a tournament I'm sweating.
Spade is more like ehh let me get through this so i can go have my real match against micaelis or something.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Slam, you insult half of the community in one post, and you wonder why no one gives you any respect. You bring it on yourself.

Let's not pretend we don't all know what it implies if we say someone has "easy brackets." It implies that they aren't worth their salt, that somehow they don't deserve the tournament placements they have been getting. You are saying Spade's higher position than other people in tournament is based on luck, and I think that's wrong.

Spade has beaten pretty much everyone below him in rank, some of them multiple times. Even if he isn't as good as Ragnarok, Elev8, Billy, or Reflex, he certainly has still outclassed the rest of us. I'm glad Janitor gave him a run for his money because recently Spade's been kicking our *****.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dunno. Maybe its because I play Marth in friendlies like all the time so I just kind of understand his moves a little better than the other characters.
I'm also decent against Diddy, which is a character I used to main. so that probably has something to do with it. WTF I should just pick up all the characters I'm bad against.

Well actually I'm bad against ROB, and I used to main him. so THEORY DISPROVEN.

Marth seems like a good, but very basic character, who still has to work for his wins. Other high tiers are like WHOOPS I GRABBED YOU FREE 90 PERCENT. WHOOPS YOURE IN THE AIR, GOOD THING I HAVE AN INESCAPABLE FRAME TRAP. WHOOPS HALF OF MY MOVESET IS SAFE TO THROW OUT WITHOUT THINKING.
Marth actually requires reads and proper spacing, even at mid level, and failing to do that, he gets punished pretty severely depending on the matchup. Like if you guess wrong with marth you get punished. If you guess wrong with, say, Falco You probably can still jab or spotdodge or something. if you guess wrong with Metaknight, it doesn't matter because all your moves are safe. If you guess wrong with Diddy, its okay because you've already done 150% to your opponent.

but with perfect play, Marth seems to be damn near untouchable. especially in certain matchups. I've said it before but I hate Pit v Marth way more than Pit v Metaknight.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Each high tier has his own problem in guessing wrong. Falco has horrible horizontal aerial mobility. Diddy doesn't deal a ton of damage on a good punish without a wall or something similar. Wario has a bad ground game. I would argue that Marth has about as much "good" in his fundamentals than the other characters I mentioned. His aerials are fast and rarely put him in a position to be punished, Forward-B is a relatively safe 17% punish on ANYTHING, he has Up-B to get out of anything he sees coming in advance. He outranges most of the cast and isn't really bad at anything.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Edit3: I always forget that Diddy can be PSNL'd by most of the cast too. That poops all over my argument. Dammit Reflex. -.- ((()))(()()())
I used a lot of parentheses in this post (and most of it on accident).

Edit: Spade is ****ing ridiculous. I feel a little biased because I've never seen anyone sodomize Nana when we're separated like he does. D''''''': But yeah, he earns his ****.

Edit 2: That was a bit graphic, but I don't even give a **** unless a mod says, "lol fuq u"

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
...Although the Diddy PSNL is really situational,

I wouldn't discount that from his list of punishes.
So yeah, he can do an entire stock (if any Diddy put in the practice to perfect it) on a punish with two bananas out.

The PSNL is why I think (at the top of the metagame) Diddy is the best character in the game. NOT MK. (Even though MK is the best if the PSNL didn't exist.)

I used a lot of parentheses in this post (and most of it on accident).
Eh...Just like how a lot of the cast can theoretically infinite Diddy with a single banana. Both situations require the opponent to be somewhere they're not supposed to be. He turns the key to being infinited himself via pulling out bananas, so, even in theory, it's not nearly as devastating to matchups as you make it out to be.

EDIT1: To be fair, Marth has the ability to hit stupidly hard/well on a lot of really quick moves, so there's no chance of Nana getting out of the way like there is with a charged F-Smash or a laggy aerial. His character aids him in that. That said, Spade is still a good player, for sure, and he is a definitive 5th place on the PR.

EDIT2: As long as you don't censor dodge and aren't flaming anyone with it, I don't care/mind, and I doubt that any reasonable moderator would think much differently.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget Marth's arms. I hate his stupid arms.

Side note: this PR ranking talk is getting a little overboard. A system only represents what it tests. In this case, it's pools matches followed by seeded brackets. Moreover, it self perpetuates success. Pools results are pretty much decided when they're being set up, more or less.

You're placed in a pool based on two things: region (so you're not matched up against anyone you play with often) and skill (one "big shot" for each pool, followed by a couple of veterans you know will make it out of pools, then spread out the remainder). In this set up, if you've at least heard of everyone participating, then you already know who is going to beat who. Not a very hard puzzle to put together. The hard hitters already know they're not going to lose pools and that they're very likely going to get first seed, thus practically ensuring first round success. Some say this is how the system should be, some say it shouldn't.

The catch is, what exactly is being measured? I know the ELO system being used takes into account how high ranked the people you beat are, so why does this sort of carefully doctored pools and brackets placement matter? Take an RPG metaphor for example. Your character is level 10. You could stay back in level 8 territory and kill guys nonstop all day with a 99% chance you'll win each battle. Or you could venture into level 12 territory and only have a 55% chance to win. The guy who hangs around level 8s will artificially look better than the one who is forced against level 12s, even with a 55% chance of success because he's proved he can beat the same people lower than him over and over. In an ELO system, you inflate your numbers at a much more safe and overall efficient way by repeatedly playing only people you can reliably beat. Now, you can take from this that the person who is truly 'the best' will beat everyone no matter what, and thus have the highest ranking. This is fine for finding the person on top, but this doesn't do much for everyone in between to be subjected to a system that carefully arranges everything.

Let me close by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about. And that I haven't played Reflex in a tournament (or any other setting for that matter) since Montgomery a long time ago. And that was a doubles match.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Slam, you insult half of the community in one post, and you wonder why no one gives you any respect. You bring it on yourself.

Let's not pretend we don't all know what it implies if we say someone has "easy brackets." It implies that they aren't worth their salt, that somehow they don't deserve the tournament placements they have been getting. You are saying Spade's higher position than other people in tournament is based on luck, and I think that's wrong.

Spade has beaten pretty much everyone below him in rank, some of them multiple times. Even if he isn't as good as Ragnarok, Elev8, Billy, or Reflex, he certainly has still outclassed the rest of us. I'm glad Janitor gave him a run for his money because recently Spade's been kicking our *****.

im basically saying that spades good placement in pools gets him an easy brackets.
bam thats it.

and i havent played spade in forever. last time i played him i beat him in tournament. its seriously been like a year since ive played him.
no lie, the people i lost to in every tournament ive been to within the past two years can be summed up as
you
saint
and reflex
and that AML guy that one time

what im suggesting if anything, is that i wish i could play spade in tournament because i havent in forever and frankly probably wont get to unless he replaces that "reflex" like opponent i will always get first round, because of my poor seeding. im not hinting that he isnt good. he is beat you. im losing to you. he is beating everyone except the people he is ranked underneath. like i said, if im getting at anything its that i should start doing better in pools so i can face someone different in tournament. this system just seems jacked.

explain to me how im dumpin on half the smasm community in that post? and i dont really care if anyone respects me, im gonna keep improving and doing my thing and hope i get better results lol so thats really the only way i hope to earn anyone's respect.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
also i liked it better when we did random brackets, am i the only one who feels liek they are stuck int eh same bracket every tournament? but i guess that can be improved by better pools placement.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I don't mean to speak for Ryker, but he has complained about facing the same people in bracket.

But as you said, if you just do better in pools...

*Cam*

Smash Lord
You aren't dumping on half the smash community, just half the Alabama community. You basically said that no one in Alabama is tough except for the top 3 on the PR.

and the PR literally doesnt mean anything you can say "oh im fighting a hard fight becasue this person is PR'd" but in the back of your mind do you really find yourself scared to fight that person and honestly thinking that you are probably gonna lose to them? hell no. our PR is screwed to hell and back and everyone knows that lol. so dont use the whole PR thing i dont think it really even counts in AL except for top three.
Pops recommended that we try a swiss style for seeding, and I think that's worth looking into. Part of the problem with seeding is that it has to account for skill level and for region. If it only had to account for skill, then we would probably have more diversity in brackets. Even if I play Billy a lot at Auburn, I never face him in brackets, so we shouldn't be seeded apart for that reason alone.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Ryker complaining? Nowai

Addendum: I was hinting at this in my post, but it seems everyone is measuring themselves by where they place in the tournament, which in THEORY is not how ELO works. But at the same time, if you're always getting matched up against people who will invariably beat you (due to match ups, skill, whatever it's unimportant), I would very much enjoy more randomization of pools and brackets, but I know that's probably not an option.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
no lie, the people i lost to in every tournament ive been to within the past two years can be summed up as
you
saint
and reflex
and that AML guy that one time
What? I beat you at Resist.

If you stretch it back for two years, then I am willing to call bull**** on more than just that oversight.

I'm highly skeptical that Reflex is the only consistent first seed you've lost to.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ryker complaining? Nowai

Addendum: I was hinting at this in my post, but it seems everyone is measuring themselves by where they place in the tournament, which in THEORY is not how ELO works. But at the same time, if you're always getting matched up against people who will invariably beat you (due to match ups, skill, whatever it's unimportant), I would very much enjoy more randomization of pools and brackets, but I know that's probably not an option.
The problem there, and I've been over this eight ways to Sunday, is that you get a pool of Ryker, P1, Reflex, Michael, and Duchock.

Meanwhile, there's a pool of JTMerrel, Pops, Alias, Twinster, and Slam.

You've got to BEAT people who you're not supposed to beat in order to move forward. Handicapping the bracket via random seed artificially inflates placing and leaves a lot for the middle of the tourney down to luck.

In the scenario I described, here's the probable outcome and you're right in that I can probably point it out.

Pool 1

1.) Reflex
2.) P1
3.) Micaelis
4.) Ryker
5.) Duchock

Pool 2

1.) Slam
2.) Pops
3.) Twinster
4.) JTMerrel
5.) Alias

Look at those seeds. You're going to give Slam the same bracket position as Reflex and you're going to give Micaelis the same as Twinster. That's simply unfair. Players will get free rounds because their pool happened to be easier.

I realize that this is Slam's argument regarding Spade, but I simply think he's full of ****. Spade has had to earn his wins and continues to do so.

Top Bottom