• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Has anyone here decided if they're going to G4S5? I feel like going since it seems like it's the last big tournament nearby before Brawl releases, and it seems like there will be more than enough people in attendance. Plus, it's the next weekend that I'm actually free. Anyone up for riding down with me?
I might be willing to go. Depends on a number of things though. Busy time at work so I don't know if I will have to work + figuring out if my girlfriend is planning on coming into town that weekend.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Has anyone here decided if they're going to G4S5? I feel like going since it seems like it's the last big tournament nearby before Brawl releases, and it seems like there will be more than enough people in attendance. Plus, it's the next weekend that I'm actually free. Anyone up for riding down with me?
*raises hand*
i originally asked moogle, but if you go that will be less gas for him (assuming he goes, which he never knows until like the week of :-P)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll be going.

"lololololololol", heh...

I need practice.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's a round-trip flight to Birmingham for $219, so that's a very hesitant maybe...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
so for those that played brawl, explain this to me.

if there is no djc, what happens when you attack during yoshi/peach's /ness double jump.....does nothing happen or does the attack occur just while continuing to rise up?

also anyone want to team up at g4s5

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
All right, Janitor, if you're riding with me to G4S5, that would mean I've got a full car, but I think I could squeeze in a 5th person if absolutely needed. Or maybe someone with a 5 seater could drive. I'd chip in with gas money.

When I played Yoshi, he seemed to follow the path he would without DJCing. His second jump has a weird trajectory, and it's definitely weird to see him follow it while doing an attack.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Janitor: He would continue to fly upwards as if he hadn't done the move at all...but he DID do the move. Huzzah!

When is G4S5? I might be willing to go.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
unfortunately i am working that weekend. but **** i wish i could go >< i loved playing at reflex's tourny.

And moogle, i'll work to make falco top tier :p, at least amongst us.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
All right, Janitor, if you're riding with me to G4S5, that would mean I've got a full car, but I think I could squeeze in a 5th person if absolutely needed. Or maybe someone with a 5 seater could drive. I'd chip in with gas money.
Were you counting me in that 5? If so, don't. If I go, I'll probably be driving since I have to go pick up my buddy from Montgomery since its on the way (I think). I'll also be able to drive anyone who needs a ride though since I can seat 3 more after him.

Question about Olimar from those who have played Brawl; Any general impressions? Specifically though, what's the deal with his recovery? I've seen video's where he gets edgeguarded hard by people hogging the ledge. Every example I've seen the person was in their invincibility frames and he dies a miserable pathetic 30% death. If someone is holding the ledge and not in invincibility frames, what happens? Is this recovery as garbage as it seems?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
If someone's edgehogging (invincible or not), tether recoveries don't work. Olimar and Ivysaur don't have any other way to recover, so they get gimped pretty hard off the stage ;_;
Otherwise, Olimar's pretty freaking good. His smashes, grabs, some aerials, and sideB all look pretty much the same (he throws a pikmin at you), so reacting to what he's doing is really hard. Plus he does a lot of damage, especially with purple and white Pikmin.
He'll probably end up sorta like Falco; dangerous on stage, but easy to KO.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
@ Janitor: He would continue to fly upwards as if he hadn't done the move at all...but he DID do the move. Huzzah!

When is G4S5? I might be willing to go.
March 1st

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139037

yeah, Olimar is SICK. he racks up damage soo fast. but yeah, tether recoveries are complete garbage in brawl. 'tis quite sad. the good part about tether recoveries is they come out really fast. you may end up edgehogging someone who's trying to do it to you if you're quick enough X)

Midguy

Smash Cadet
If someone's edgehogging (invincible or not), tether recoveries don't work. Olimar and Ivysaur don't have any other way to recover, so they get gimped pretty hard off the stage ;_;
Otherwise, Olimar's pretty freaking good. His smashes, grabs, some aerials, and sideB all look pretty much the same (he throws a pikmin at you), so reacting to what he's doing is really hard. Plus he does a lot of damage, especially with purple and white Pikmin.
He'll probably end up sorta like Falco; dangerous on stage, but easy to KO.
That lame *** recovery just seems like too much of a liability for me to overcome. I like everything else I've seen about him, but I guess everyone has their faults. I used to main Yoshi and I've been down that road before (Lame *** Recovery Drive). Just don't know if I can do it again, lol.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Here's some local HSV tourney news. Both the Hwy 72 (University Drive) and the Jones Valley locations of GameStop will be having Smash tournaments at their midnight release of Smash Bros. Brawl. The details of the tourney have yet to be finalized, but the winners will get to go to California to compete in a national tournament. This is being sponsored by GameStop. It is not clear yet as to whether we will be playing Brawl or Melee but these details should be firmed up soon.

This information is straight from the mouth of a store manager at the Hwy 72 GameStop. That's where I have my copy of Brawl reserved, so I'm going regardless.

More details to come!

R

Majist

Smash Journeyman
^^^oh snap. tarnish was telling me about his game store doing the same thing in muscle shoals. this is great. okay ppl, if there are two tourneys, everyone here should go to one, and I'LL go to the other one:laugh:

mine's reserved at the jones valley location. i'm 99% sure we'll be playing melee. this could be like the pokemon tournament that munkus played when the wii game came out. he WRECKED everyone, as you'll remember, rob. little boys and girls were crying, and the fat kid wouldn't shut up (nothing against fat people, i love fat people)

i think i'll go get more details about this today, since i actually have no homework and free time kbye
/door slam

EDIT: okay, the guy at jones valley didn't know anything at all. he just got back from vacation or something. but university said that the stores that are doing the midnight sale will be hosting tournaments. they didn't have any details yet, but i'll definitely stay on top of this. i don't know if it's melee or brawl. the guy said it would most likely be melee.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
^^^oh snap. tarnish was telling me about his game store doing the same thing in muscle shoals. this is great.

little boys and girls were crying, and the fat kid wouldn't shut up (nothing against fat people, i love fat people).
Well, it's consistent with what I've heard. Can't wait.

Ah, the pokemon tournament. That was an experience. The fat kid talking was more or less due to a lack of cake. Pokemon players are an unsavory bunch (Will being the exception) that gives justification to the sport of people watching.

I've been scouring the boards trying to determine the difference between the fullscreen and the widescreen Brawl experience. I don't think the KO boundaries change, but the camera width does. This should be amusing for stages with a horizon that goes off the sides and for visibility when edgeguarding. I still intend to be playing Brawl at 480p in 16:9 without letterboxing.

For our next gathering, I have a few things to show the group. I recently purchased an NEX Messiah, which plays Famicom and NES cartridges. So if you have a game that "hasn't worked in years", there's a good chance this thing will play it without incident. I also have a handheld Game & Watch game and an Earthbound cartridge... things that I know you guys will appreciate.

Oh, and I found a website that lists arcade cabinets for sale, from closing arcades in the southeast. I can't decide between a Marvel vs Capcom 2 cabinet and a Soul Calibur II cabinet, but they both go for about $350, which is well within my budget. I'm also thinking (a bit more long-term) of replacing my kitchen table with a sit-down glass-top Galaga table. Of course, this is tax season, so I may be biting off more than I can chew. Either way, I wanted you all to know these things.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys the info of that gamestop tourny is as follows:

Its the day after Brawl release's and its ganna be Brawl tourny. There are prob ganna be items on and time instead of stock but im not sure. They might use MLG rules since Gamestop sponsored them last season but again i am not clear on it.

Now my store ( Gamecrazy ) is doing a Melee tourny for there Midnight sale. I'm not sure what the prize is but im sure its just something from the store or something from Nintendo. I'll be going to Gamecrazy cause i really cant do the gamestop one. I'll be getting to Gamecrazy between 8 - 10 pm because i know everyone that works there and i like to hangout and talk.

Now then im ganna go play some more Trickster Online. XD

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
From my mind !!!
XD XD

J/k, No i asked the gamestop in our mall and he told me all the info so yea. The gamestops around here are very tightly woven together so yea.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
No man, its at the one in Muscle Shoals ( Muscle Shoals Mall )

[EDIT] - OMG my friend who used to work at the gamecrazy here and he moved and is a store manager in a gamecrazy in TN now is giving away a copy of Brawl to whoever wins there tourny. I talked to the store manager at this gamecrazy about the prize and he's unsure of what it is at the moment. Who knows maybe it will be brawl XD.

Sensai

Smash Master
Wow...you guys thought the Brawl boards were bad before it released? I can't even go in there.

Seriously...it's thousands of *******s *****ing about this that and the other. I vomitted.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Wow...you guys thought the Brawl boards were bad before it released? I can't even go in there.

Seriously...it's thousands of *******s *****ing about this that and the other. I vomitted.
yeah i've been avoiding it too, which is a shame because where else are you gonna go for brawl info besides smashboards?
Maybe it'll clear up in there a little while down the line.

has anyone played brawl online yet?

@ rob....link me to that arcade website :-D

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Is there going to be any brawl in huntsville this weekend? cause I'ma likely to be coming up

Majist

Smash Journeyman
you should come regardless. i'm up for playing melee at this point. i need smash back in my life

and since the prize is possibly going to be a free copy of brawl, i guess i don't need to worry about paying off my preorder just yet. cuz i actually feel that i'll have a chance at winning and everything, lawl.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
@Majist - If your talking about the Gamecrazy tournament then i already said its not 100% that its a copy of Brawl... only a possibility. I cant promise anything XP

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
you should come regardless. i'm up for playing melee at this point. i need smash back in my life

and since the prize is possibly going to be a free copy of brawl, i guess i don't need to worry about paying off my preorder just yet. cuz i actually feel that i'll have a chance at winning and everything, lawl.
keep me in the loop. i had a nice break from Melee and am ready to play it again. plus, it's a long weekend for me. President's Day!

@Tarnish: Majist is going to the tourney in south Huntsville, dude. And I'm going to the one on University Drive because that's where we have our Brawls reserved (although I really should've reserved at Jones Valley, I just don't like their manager. he = douche).

Ha. Majist, you know EXACTLY which manager I'm talking about. Actually, I've come across a few workers there recently that I didn't really like. There are still some good eggs, though.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
keep me in the loop. i had a nice break from Melee and am ready to play it again. plus, it's a long weekend for me. President's Day!

@Tarnish: Majist is going to the tourney in south Huntsville, dude. And I'm going to the one on University Drive because that's where we have our Brawls reserved (although I really should've reserved at Jones Valley, I just don't like their manager. he = douche).
Tarnish and i were talking about me going down to muscle shoals before i found out that there were tourneys in huntsville too. sorry to say tarnish, but i think i'll be staying on this end. it helps my wallet a ton more. if there weren't any tourneys in huntsville i would go down...

and, rob, are you talking about the guys with big glasses and short black hair? cuz yeah, he is a douche.

i don't know what moogle's intentions are with brawl, since he's supposed to get a mod chip, but if anyone else was planning to buy brawl in huntsville somewhere, and it turns out that the prize would be a free copy, two of us could enter together. if one in our group wins the free copy, he could help the other out by paying for half of it, so neither will have to pay full price. just an idea. i'd be willing to do it.

j00t

Smash Champion
^^^oh snap. tarnish was telling me about his game store doing the same thing in muscle shoals. this is great. okay ppl, if there are two tourneys, everyone here should go to one, and I'LL go to the other one:laugh:

mine's reserved at the jones valley location. i'm 99% sure we'll be playing melee. this could be like the pokemon tournament that munkus played when the wii game came out. he WRECKED everyone, as you'll remember, rob. little boys and girls were crying, and the fat kid wouldn't shut up (nothing against fat people, i love fat people)

i think i'll go get more details about this today, since i actually have no homework and free time kbye
/door slam

EDIT: okay, the guy at jones valley didn't know anything at all. he just got back from vacation or something. but university said that the stores that are doing the midnight sale will be hosting tournaments. they didn't have any details yet, but i'll definitely stay on top of this. i don't know if it's melee or brawl. the guy said it would most likely be melee.
Darn right you love me.

But I don't get why it would be Melee over Brawl. It's a tournament on the release of BRAWL, after all.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
But I don't get why it would be Melee over Brawl. It's a tournament on the release of BRAWL, after all.
Why wouldnt it be Melee man ?

Most of the time someone hosts a tournament for a release of a new game thats ganna be big or something like that its usually tradition do play the older game before the new one is released, or atleast thats what i thought. Hell thats what Gamecrazy did for Halo2.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, and it just makes sense. When the game comes out at midnight, I will not be at the store any more. I'll be at home. Playing the game. Then again, there is a GameStop that is having a Brawl tournament the next day, so who knows. But, I have always heard that you play the older game before the new game is released.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
@Majist and Rob: let me know which places you guys are attending the tourny's cause i prolly come to which ever one is the closest. i'd love to play melee and then go back to your place or w/e to play brawl. i personally don't have a wii, but i will be getting one. so reserving a game at this time isn't really a priority for me. i just want to play with other Huntsville players before brawl lets out :p

Majist

Smash Journeyman
rob will be at the university location, i'll be at the jones valley one

@jwt: it's a matter of the stores convincing nintendo to send them the game early so that they can have a brawl tourney. they WANT the tourney to be brawl, but you never know. plus, they'd have to unlock all the stages/characters and stuff.

but no one really knows any details right now so who knows what might happen? i don't care which game we play. honestly, i'd feel more comfortable if it was melee, but that's me.

are we doing anything tomorrow, andyyyyyyyyy?????

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
another person yall should subcribe to is getyourtournament

lots of highly competitive matches, and actually after watching them, I think brawl is going to be fine for tournaments

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
you guys ever noticed that alabama has probably the most inactive smashers on its little list in the thread in the whole mid-south lulz

wtf i didn't know nice1 was from alabama

lol @ that video, every kill was from a final smash i think haha

that sonic avvy is beastly

moogle, maybe you can add G4s5 to the front page, instead of the depressing 'where have all the cowboys gone'

and while you're there, take DK off the characters I don't play. I've picked him up, well i probably won't play him in tournaments, but i'll play him.

mslanoo i'm almost ready for bottom right random :)

played Dead or Alive 4
apparently they're just going to keep making the same game over and over again

Top Bottom