• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

j00t

Smash Champion
Firstly, congrats Munkus.

Secondly, I'm not really sure what's going on tomorrow. It seems like you guys all want to, but I'm not sure that I'm going to be free when everyone would be available nor has my friend even given the yes or no. As of this writing, 3.30, he's still up....he might not feel like it. And, as ****ty as it is, I think we have to accept it. I'm trying my best guys, I promise. If any of you guys could PM me a place where we could possibly do it, that'd be great.

On to the partial review...or rather, my first impressions of the game.

In a word: disorienting. Very very much so. Guys, listen when I say this: it is a COMPLETELY different game then Melee. There is VERY little that transfers in terms of technical skill. Mind games and stuff is sorta different in that it's still viable in some way or another even if dash dancing and WD are out. All that technical stuff...gone (sorry Joot).

Like I said, it's a completely different game then Melee. Hell, it's drastically different then Melee and the 64 one. But, and here's why it's weird, it won't stop you from playing like Melee or 64. Your fingers automatically hit down L. You still try to dash dance (it was the first thing I tried to do). You'll find that you every once in a while try to wavedash. It doesn't work. Any of it.

Given, this is all old news. I figure most of everything I talk about will be old news told from a different viewpoint. One thing that I haven't seen anywhere is that airdodging is weird. It's not how you've come to know it...in Melee you can airdodge in a direction whereas in Brawl...you just can't. Well, sorta. If you've already jumped twice you can't. You can waste a jump on it, but if you've already used both you just kinda....I dunno. Dodge, for lack of better word. It looks almost the exact same as regular falling except you don't get hit. I did it a LOT by sheer accident.

All the characters are super floaty and jump crazy high. It's evident in videos...but it's much weirder when you play. They all recover MUCH quiker then they did in Melee...not quite like Luigi but getting there. They all seem to do a lot less damage and be much heavier (meaning they need a higher percentage to die), probably due to the fact that DI in this game is INSANE. Seriously...if you can't DI well or often get caught DIing poorly, goodluck. On the same note, everytime a big move hits (see: the Knee, Zelda's fair/bair) it stops for quite a bit...you would have to be slightly insane to not be able to DI correctly in the given time.

Rolling off the ledge to extend the amount of time that the game registers you on it no longer works, nor does it really have to. The game is made so that it encourages players to get back to the stage. UpB's auto catch the ledge, rolling animation or whatever is short and, mostly, the characters have amazing recoveries. The exception is those who rely solely on tethers to get back (Olimar and to a lesser extent ZSS)....these guys get hurt. It's just not a very well thought out mechanic.

I think, as most people will when they play the game, that Final Smashes are absurd beyond belief, whether they be too good (Marth, Pit) or just plain stupid (DK, Kirby). I see items once again being banned along with the majority of the stages. Most of the new ones focus more on moving then most people like. Not quite like Icicle Mountain...more like Mute City.

Speaking of characters:

Yoshi: is weird. I played him once and couldn't even pretend I enjoyed it. With DJC gone, he's so foreign and so....I dunno. Crippled. He still can't jump out of his shield and with analog shielding gone (meaning, no light shielding) you can't slide across the levels.

Falco: is also weird. (I think you're going to see that word come up quite a bit.) He's closer to his Melee form then Yoshi is in terms of style of play, but there are moveset changes. The biggest one is his shine, which no longer hits up. In fact, it like, shoots out in front of Falco when he uses it. You've all seen it. It could maybe be used for shinespiking, but it'd have to be pretty gutsy. Think the equivalent of a Ganon uptilt in Melee. Definitely something to say 'I'm owning you.' He can DSHL, sorta, in the sense he can get two shots off per short hop, but they are both level and slightly above a player.

Metaknight is probably one of my favorite characters, the problem being that he doesn't have many kill moves. The move I found myself killing most often with was (get this) his Up B move...jeah. I think that if someone could really get a hold of him he'd be amazing at juggling, but with only a few hours logged into the game, much less him, it's out of my league.

Ike is likely my new main. He's the closest thing to Ganon as the game gets (so far, mind you). It doesn't seem like any of the characters do enough damage, though, with Ike only getting 15% or so per hit (and considering you can survive to like 150% or so...). He's definitely one of the better characters, IMO.

Marth is the exact same sans the stupid grab range and the amazingly long Fsmash. Really. In fact, it might even be easier to juggle people with fairs now.

Sheik is pretty much the same without chainthrows from what I saw....honestly, I didn't play much of her. Eh, call it an old grudge.

Zelda is much more useful this time around, although her Up B seems shorter (aw). Her grab is fixed, thank God, and utilizing those two moves makes her not all that bad.

Falcon is the same as before, except the Knee's a little worse. Um...Nair still does the same thing....really, it's the same character. Fast as hell and still strong. The omission of dashdancing really REALLY hurts him, IMO.

DeDeDe is going to be a force to be reckoned with and will single handedly cause quite a few stages to be banned. This guy was the second guy I played and the FIRST thing that happened was I zero to deathed someone with a chaingrab. It's really, honestly, pretty silly. Expect any level with a vertical wall to be banned because of this guy.

Pit's an interesting guy who has the most bat**** insane recovery I've ever seen. Combine this with the amazing increase in DIability for moves (y'know what I mean) and you have a character who's worse then Samus in Melee; if you don't kill Pit via an explosion, he's not going to be dead.

Pokemon Trainer seems to be good...didn't get much time with him. Squirtle seems really good...like, really really good. Fast as hell. The other two, especially Charizard, fall behind Squirtle in terms of usefulness....but they're still playable.

I didn't play Pikachu. Sorry. :-/

Luigi has my vote for most improved character so far. In fact, out of the returning characters, he seems to be one of the few who got an upgrade. Go read IHSB's impressions up above.

I don't have much to say about Link. He's almost the same, except that with all the added floaty and jumping ability..he actually ends up not too bad. Probably going to be about the same place on the tier list as he was in Melee.

Olimar is a weird guy. I went in tonight thinking that I'd play him no matter what and came out, again, disoriented. It's just weird. The need for Pikmin is understandable in his situation, but ALL of his moves are based on them and based on what color they are. So, some attacks can be amazing and ****ty depending on the color of the Pikmin you happened to have come next.

Fox is going to be good again. The UpSmash has probably been nerfed but I didn't notice it. I don't recall the UpAir. The shine is still pretty good...comes out quick and goes away quick. It's definitely not going to be busted as hell like the Melee counterpart, but it's still viable. I expect him up there again.

Bowser is either going to be great or absolute rubbish depending on how the metagame develops. He's been sped up just a smidge (specifically his Fsmash) and left as was. His UpB is still one of the better moves in the game. The problem is that, without the L-Cancelling, every move he misses is a HUGE miss usually resulting in a ton of damage.

Samus is very much the same but crippled due to the exclusion of the wavedash. Really...load up Melee and try to play Samus without WDing (shut up, I know Aniki does it). It's just weird.

ZSS is pretty good. She's not a new Shiek as many, myself included, feared she would be. She is definitely on the more 'I can combo' side of things.

DK was not played by anyone, actually. I have no idea what he's up to.

Diddy, though, is fast. I never got much experience with him, but I can see the potential to be good in him. I figure he'll be amongst the upper half of the characters.

Sadly, I couldn't play Ganon, Jiggs, Lucario, Snake, Sonic, etc....he JUST got the game working like a day ago and hasn't been playing much with college. That's all the characters I can remember...I probably missed one. Like Ice Climbers (I didn't get to play them much; I don't know if they can desync). Or....Ness, or Lucas. Etc. You get it. Just ask if you wanna know, but don't expect too much. If I didn't mention 'em, it's probably 'cause I don't know much about it (you can tell: as the list gets towards the end, things get shorter. I ran outta memory, so to speak).

I know this has been a very scatter-shot first impressions, but it's pretty late and I'm falling asleep at my keyboard. I may edit it and clean it a little tomorrow, but ask questions and I'll do my best to answer.

But know this: this is not Melee 2.0, regardless of how we feel inclined to play. It's not fast. It's floaty and everyone jumps seven stories. Comboing isn't gone as some extremists would have you believe, but it's definitely not nearly as big a factor.

I hope that we discover a lot more depth in the game. If we don't, I fear it might be that people just stick with Melee as the definitive competitive Smash game.
tl;drm

We've already played Brawl, Sensai. It ain't like you're the first one out of the group to play it. :p

Dang... i'm sorry. Didn't mean to sound so rude. >.>;

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Grats. When your rich and famous and need a good laugh just keep me alive. I dont even know if I'm funny to you.

About smash, it's 4:21 AM right now and im about to go to sleep. we have a wii here with brawl. So if sensai wants to make it 2 setups by all means. phone either of us up hopefully not too early, but we'll wake up and let you mess around or something.
Awesome coach. i don't have your number so i guess i'll just call andy. i probably won't be in town till after 12 or so and i hope thats not to early :p

Sensai

Smash Master
*doh*

Didnt know Coach and them had it. How did I miss that?

*doh*

Also, what's tl;drm mean?

Mangz, I feel stoopedz.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
*doh*

Didnt know Coach and them had it. How did I miss that?

*doh*

Also, what's tl;drm mean?

Mangz, I feel stoopedz.
"Too long; didn't read much." The much is usually optional.

I should be calling Moogle in just a few minutes. It doesn't seem like The ONE Janitor can go. :(

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
well **** me, I neglected to read that coach had a wii with brawl anyway D:

Well, you guys gonna have that setup next week?

j00t

Smash Champion
Eh. I just want to apologize to everyone, saying vulgar things isn't really me. I'll try to keep it under control next time.

EDIT: Also, congrats to Munkus. Hope you do well.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
^^i'm sure you didn't offend anyone, don't worry about it. remember i was in the room too:grin:

sorry munkus. i just now read your post asking me to call you.................. i couldn't check the boards yesterday cuz they were doing some server upgrade, which failed, cuz now load times are even longer.:mad:

i think i remember andy telling me he was gonna have a copy of his own by tuesday or something. i think.

and sensai i was very upset to see you not there!! you must have been invisible or something :/
and since you didn't get to play ganon, i'll give you a little insight.

first off, i wasn't too impressed with him. he's not GREAT, like i'd hoped, but playable? yes. it's just going to take some practice to get his timing down. of course, ganon's strength is over 9000. imo, all of his airs are still pretty decent. his fair is SLOW. god it's slow. that's what you're gonna need practice to get down. his uair is still his best air move, it's actually a little quicker than before. he can edgeguard quite well with ftilt. i don't think his range is quite as long as before, i could be wrong. wizard kick is a little shorter. sideb is fantastic. it doesn't do much damage, but he can tech chase with it. it's good in the air too. his upB, like everyone else, is longer, and he doesn't do that stupid flip forward at the top of it, which caused him to miss the ledge in melee (not like it would matter in brawl, NO ONE misses the ledge anymore :laugh:)

His downB can no longer be used for recovery, i.e., you don't get your jump back after using it. his jab is OMG powerful. honestly, i didn't use dtilt much. i wasn't on a ganon-mission playing the game, so i didn't really make a conscious effort to use all of his moves. but from what i remember, dtilt is still a decent move, and it still rises the enemy.

so like i said, i didn't play ganon too much. i was waaaaay too into Ike to play ganon. god, Ike is my new favorite. Andy's too i believe. i love zelda, marth, sheik, and link too. link's amazing. his ftilt is actually good!!! hurray!!!

Majist

Smash Journeyman
didn't feel like editing a long post. moogle, if you and coach have NOTHING to do today, i would like to brawl some more before the week starts, if you still have that setup. i had to leave earlier than i wanted to and didn't get to come back :( call me, plzzz

munkus, are you in town??? i had the impression you are here, talking about your big TV and all. maybe we could brawl today if you are.

oh btw, jiggly sucks. hahahahahahahhhahahahahahaaa i'm just joking.....

/biting tongue

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
You are a *******, mr. shannon.

No. I was going to drive up from T-town if there was going to be brawl on Saturday, but apparently you all hate me.

Sensai

Smash Master
Seems like everybody's loving them some Ike, haha. Good to hear about Ganon, though...but I think it's officially over between us. I'm moving on.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I can't hear you sensai, I'm in my room listening to linkin park and writing bad poetry about black miasma.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Did anyone get a chance to get in some good time with Zelda. Been working with her lately and thinking about stepping up my Zelda game in Brawl. I guess in particular:

Is her Uair any better
Is her throw any better
Has her dash attack changed any
Does her Fsmash still have the same hitbox
Has her Dsmash improved

Any other info is welcome.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone get a chance to get in some good time with Zelda. Been working with her lately and thinking about stepping up my Zelda game in Brawl. I guess in particular:

Is her Uair any better
Is her throw any better
Has her dash attack changed any
Does her Fsmash still have the same hitbox
Has her Dsmash improved

Any other info is welcome.
i have played zelda quite a bit. i'm really impressed with her. here's what i've found:

her uair is indeed imroved. it has good power and is easier to land, i think, because it comes out faster.

i didn't throw much at all with her, but her dthrow is decent. i was able to combo into an uair once. fair would be more effective if you could pull it off.

her fsmash is AWESOME. i think the hitbox is very slightly extended. i could be wrong, but it seemed to suck the enemy in for the big hit. it does multiple hits.

dsmash is greatly improved. better power and knockback. very fast too.

her fair is simply amazing. the hitbox is not smaller, it's just different.... it's hard to explain, but i think once you start landing it right, you'll understand. it's stronger as well. i didn't really bother with bair much, but it seems to be about the same. both come out quick so you can attack many times, like in melee. i didn't experiment with her dair much either.

her din's fire is great too. it has an area of effect around the explosion, so it's a bigger hitbox than it looks. it's easier to control as well. i've been able to juggle with it with not much trouble.

that's what i've found so far. i need to play again so i can work on her throws. hope that helped.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
Awesome. Sounds like improvements all the way around. I was halfway expecting them to tone down her Fsmash some, but I'm glad to hear its the same, if not better. I'm sure getting used to her new f/bair will take a bit, but from the sounds of it, its not necessarily worse. Thanks for the info.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
@Majist & Midguy: I'm pretty sure I got KOed by Din's Fire a few times, actually. It's so much better now.

And thank you all for letting us Brawl. I think I got to try all the characters I was curious about. Kirby, Ness, Lucas and Mario are all just as fun as I hoped they'd be. Now I just gotta figure out how to make Snake and DK work better. This game is so refreshing to my Melee-trodden brain.

Will, congratulations. We expect great things from you.

@ JWT: SSBM has a special place in my heart; I just need a vacation, so to speak. Glad you guys got to rep Melee.

j00t

Smash Champion
@Majist & Midguy: I'm pretty sure I got KOed by Din's Fire a few times, actually. It's so much better now.

And thank you all for letting us Brawl. I think I got to try all the characters I was curious about. Kirby, Ness, Lucas and Mario are all just as fun as I hoped they'd be. Now I just gotta figure out how to make Snake and DK work better. This game is so refreshing to my Melee-trodden brain.
Heheh, we actually went back to Melee before the night was over. Playing a faster game felt so refreshing :3

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Heheh, we actually went back to Melee before the night was over. Playing a faster game felt so refreshing :3
As i am sure joot will testify too, i tried to go back to melee and found that i was trying to play melee falco like brawl falco ><. Of course when i went home and played melee abit i learned to l cancel all over again. So next time on tuesday i'll be ready for melee if we play some joot. Well tuesday after this one anyway.

Joot forget metaknight, and stop up-B me to death :p i will counter you one day.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The problem there janitor is that I go up to huntsville to hang out with my folks too. I don't go up and then turn around.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
what, he can't stay with you? hell, janitor could stay with me if it's that big of a deal, or all three of us could stay with you. your parents can get to know janitor, he's a swell guy. :p

plus, me and him could escape and play smash elsewhere if your dad comes up with any stupid handy work he'd like help with!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
well from the vids i've watched it looks like meta knight and de de de are shoe ins for high tiers so far
there are vids of gimpy owning with meta knight

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I think it may be my duty to uphold my namesake by maining R.O.B. Actually, I have two names that are represented in Smash but I'm not sure Ike is my style.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Today's Dojo update is actually pretty helpful. Dash grabbing has changed and characters don't flinch when you graze them with an attack. Fascinating stuff.

Interesting trivia floating around about R.O.B. the robot. Apparently, his japanese name was Family Robot. While his most high-profile relationship was with a toaster, he briefly dated Rosie Jetson.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
R.O.B. is too good. He's definitely my alt after Kirby. I was definitely impressed with those two and Lucas Saturday night.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
omg lucas is insane. that up smash just isn't fair, lol.

and i got my butt kicked by kirby, too!!! wha wha whaaaaaat???

i'm glad they made the good characters from smash 64 good again... yeah.

but ike still pwns :3

Majist

Smash Journeyman
lol, i've only had 2. this will be MY avatar forever, for ike is all that is man.

though it was a tough choice between this one and a ganon one that was sooooo cool.

but ike > ganon

spammy spam spam eggs....

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
what, he can't stay with you? hell, janitor could stay with me if it's that big of a deal, or all three of us could stay with you. your parents can get to know janitor, he's a swell guy. :p

plus, me and him could escape and play smash elsewhere if your dad comes up with any stupid handy work he'd like help with!
Well especially this weekend, when I plan on celebrating with my parents the whole getting into lawschool and getting a nice scholarship that will pay for 70% of it thing :D

moogle

Smash Ace
I posted this over on the GameFAQs ssb64 board >_<

me said:
I see Toon Link and Marth being top tier material. I think Dedede, Metaknight, Snake, Kirby, and Game&Watch can be really good too. Kirby, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, DK, Luigi, etc. all feel similar to their Melee counterparts. I never got comfortable playing Lucario, Olimar, R.O.B., or the new Falco. Ike is my favorite so far. :)
There it is, so you can come back and laugh at all my predictions in a year or two. (or like right now)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Has anyone here decided if they're going to G4S5? I feel like going since it seems like it's the last big tournament nearby before Brawl releases, and it seems like there will be more than enough people in attendance. Plus, it's the next weekend that I'm actually free. Anyone up for riding down with me?

Top Bottom