• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I think ZSS looks *****ing right now, with a capital B.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qP9kR5qNa34&feature=user

Tell me that's not sexy.

(Also linked to show shannon that you can start the matches as ZSS)

EDIT: And this is probably the best way to unlock any character ever. Marth's Final Smash is OP: http://youtube.com/watch?v=XJy7XTySmr8
nice :)

and i swear to god, if i hear about other ppl's dumb opinions that don't matter, ima hafta choka *****. srsly, i don't care who says brawl's gonna suck. it's not. it's going to have my babies. listen to what T1J's sayin. ok i'm done.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
I noticed that marth can still fair twice and lag without much lag left. And i think from now on we'll have to time our air attacks so that they end close to before me hit the ground, and use that instead of l cancling.

But i agree with you shannon this game looks freaking awesome, and whoever says its crap, well thats just 1 less person buying the game, which gives me and my friend a better chance of getting it sooner :p

Sensai

Smash Master
That Marth vs Sheik match has my hope restored. It does have the capability to be faster then I had expected...which is good.

I think it's a little early to say if Brawl's gonna be some phail, as we don't know any advanced techs or anything yet, but....I hope not.

And yes, I think Ganon looks like horse ****. Really. He looks god awful.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
And yes, I think Ganon looks like horse ****. Really. He looks god awful.
oh come on! he's not that bad. the armor is definitely cool. i'm not saying the character model is better than melee's; you really can't beat the chainmail/rug combination. but he doesn't look terrible.

i always try to be as optimistic as possible, if you haven't noticed. don't worry, i'm sure it'll grow on you.

edit: although i WILL add that ganon does look like a complete arse(take that you fuuuuucking philter) while he dashes :/

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
here is ganon being used quite competently.
you just can't use fairs as much as before... his upair looks a lot quicker...and he uses a lot of bairs as well.
he manages to defeat the speedy captain falcon, who btw is the only character I've seen so far perform actual combos :-P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAfRbi0stZY

Subscribe to gimpyfish if you haven't. He's uploading vids of Pro So-Cal smashers playing brawl.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
/subscribed:grin:

i'll admit i'm a little discouraged about ganon. his voice isn't scary anymore!!! D:
but it's cool!! it's all good, y'all.

capt. falcon looks pretty bad. he sounds a lot like he did in smash 64. thx T1J

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I have, so far, only seen on jiggs player.

And it kinda blows my mind.

You'd think jiggs would be dominating it all right now with her woping.

Sensai

Smash Master
.....you guys seriously think that Ganon doesn't look bad? Really? Guys, are we watching the same stuff? His Bair doesn't even look like a kill move anymore. And he still has his uptilt...

/going to watch some more Gimpy.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Ill go with Sensai on this Ganon does look like a Fat man, i mean ill try him out but there's no guarantee ill like him again. If they only would have just added his sword into his move set hmm..... :).

saintrage

Smash Cadet
So i'm sad that i tried my best to get off work today, did, and now no smash >< you guys want to smash some other time this week like maybe tomorrow night?

Actually i think ganon doesn't look half bad. he just needs to be able to land his moves. as far as his looks go he freaked me out at first. i don't particularly like the way he moves and jumps, but his move set change with his sideB is pretty neat. you can tech chase with it :p

as i watch him more i am beginning to like the new change, but i think its gonna take me a bit before i get used to it.

Also i'm hopping moogle will post tomorrow about a special occasion, because from what he mentioned to me tonight. i am crossing my fingers and hopping i come home to some good news on this board tomorrow.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
These videos renewed my faith:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3854706#post3854706

**** YES!

He got it working. I'm going home tomorrow night and will have a lot of impressions for you guys.

**** YES.

[Edit 2:]

/sigh

Ok, not tomorrow night. Friday, though, definitely. Actually...I dunno, when do you guys wanna get together and see it? Saturday?
wait are you talking about your friend's moded wii and brawl? and are you talking about bringing it to us? or us going to see him? because i am off both of those nights, however Friday would be preferable. i have a friends birthday to attend to on Saturday night. but early Saturday would be good.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
for those of you wondering about the slowness/non technicalness of the game. check out these threads.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140981
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141501

orr i've summed it up below..

Movement techs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x8wygkxDyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-tBzYAaGu0

^some kind of fox trot dash dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC3W_AxqxSE
^not too advanced, but will be beneficial to characters with good bairs. (better bairs than fairs or nairs)
was possible in melee but in melee your momentum was slowed down alot more.

IC's desynch is back, albeit done differently, apparently (which pretty much confirms that I will be playing them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmjtD9E2gg

Falco's SHL is back, in fact he can SHDL.. but its nerfed heavily. (it was kind of a broken tech anyway right?) you can't fastfall it nor can you move forward or backward while shooting. (you can just beforehand though)

Luigi's taunt does damage again, and its much stronger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlHpH3QYvUY
however, it has set knockback and will never kill, most likely. not sure if its a meteor smash

Jump-Cancel grabs is now replaced by Shield Cancel Grabs.
you can missle cancel still.
and you probably knw it by now, but the game has made it really easy to grab the edge, for edge hogging

as you've seen you magnetise to the edge pretty much if you're anywhere near it. it seems like you can grab the edge during any frame of any move. this could lead to some crazy edge stalls and mindgames. also it seems any character can grab the edge from the back as well.

Then there's all this talk about Ink Dropping, which they're still trying to figure out apparently...but there is a way to dash past your opponent and immediately turn around and grab.

but people are saying the whole ink dropping thing is really not the big deal. in fact it is what they are calling Braking, which is a nother move their trying to figure out

somehow mario comes to a complete stop and attacks. no CC or anything.

also, you've probably heard of "hugging" Gimpy and them do it alot in their videos. Basically you can just walk or dash right off the edge and immediately grab the ledge. most likely related to the "magnetizing" effect of the ledge that i mentioned earlier. Will probably replace the old method of reverse wavedashing onto the ledge for edge hogs. You can also roll off the edge to do this.

Guys they've figured all this out in a matter of a couple of months or less. imagine what they will find in a year. Much less like 5 years.

I think people are just expecting "Melee 2.0" so much they find themselves unimpressed with the game. It's just different.

One thing I find depressing, however, is apparently there is "host advantage" in online play. I'm not sure what extent.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I got off work Saturday by swapping shifts, so playing a little Brawl would be awesome, Sensai. We should get some matches recorded too. As long as we have a VCR, I could capture the matches over from VHS no problem. Saturday night would be best. T1J, if you're in Birmingham for the weekend, I could pick you up on the way if you want.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
But Tuscaloosa is completely out of the way! Get to Birmingham, and I'll pick you up.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I think Saturday's the only day I could convince him to do it...I'll start talking to him about it.

Also, epic win:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNvb...53137/sound-effects-make-the-best-game-themes
wahahahaha that was amazing.

now, about brawl...
fox actually looks really sexy. both him and falco. fox can pretty much float in the air by shining over and over again. and his up smash is nerfed!!! bwahaha.

ivysaur's a beast, it seems. great up smash and tilts.

i'm getting more and more discouraged about ganondorf.... his wizard kick looks like it's a lot shorter. but i doubt we'll be complaining about how characters have changed for long b/c there's so freaking many of them this time around. there will be one who can satisfy our tastes one way or another.

everythings about this game looks great though. they've made the clone characters into... not clone characters..:dizzy: you know what i mean. :p

we just have to get past the fact that this is not melee. like T1J said, we can't be expecting melee 2.0. we've been playing and practically studying melee for so long, it's become a standard.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
It depends when Sensai and his friend would be willing to start. If possible I'd like to leave around 6 that night and leave some time early in the morning.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I just might do that.

Can you tell me when you are leaving/coming back?
why not just get munkus to take you and then you both will be in huntsville????

i realize this seems like an obvious solution, so you asking someone living in b'ham to take you leads me to conclude that munkus thinks he's too good to hang out with us.

....or he could still be sick. but i'm leaning towards the former.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
why not just get munkus to take you and then you both will be in huntsville????

i realize this seems like an obvious solution, so you asking someone living in b'ham to take you leads me to conclude that munkus thinks he's too good to hang out with us.

....or he could still be sick. but i'm leaning towards the former.
i haven't talked to or seen munkus in a little bit,

but I might be in bham anyway that weekend, because i'm thinking of catching a ride to bham with my roomate early friday morning.

as long as I can get back sunday night/monday morning

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
we just have to get past the fact that this is not melee. like T1J said, we can't be expecting melee 2.0. we've been playing and practically studying melee for so long, it's become a standard.

Exactly !

What did i say in an earlier post about the Halo games, people are complaining that there no BxR's or Double shots and ****. I'm sick of it, if you dont wanna play Brawl and think that it sucks then go back to Melee who cares ( i sure as hell dont ). I'll be having loads of fun with Brawl.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
It's not so much the lack of specific abilities/techniques that will make the game suck once everyone knows how the attacks work, it's the complete lack of real movement options. Melee and Smash64 had such amazingly exact analog movement that you could be exactly where you wanted to be as quickly as your character allowed. With Brawl... you never feel in control of anyone, really. And randomly falling on your face doesn't help.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
okay d00ds. so i have now collected all 120 stars in mario galaxy. woo hoo. let me just say that the suprise is a LOT better than mario 64.:grin:

@IHSB: have you played brawl already??? O.O

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Yeah, I played it for about 6 hours yesterday with Myztek, Iori, and Chad (though Chad left after just a couple hours for work), and again for a bit this morning. I won't lie; it's a fun game. I mean, any game that has "Super Smash Bros." in the title is guaranteed to be. But once we all figure out how attacks and the basic movement options work, I don't think it will still be fun to play other people with the same knowledge.

With Melee, I can explain in detail how every attack in the game works, how all the characters are played, how they combo, how they edgeguard, what to do in a massive variety of ridiculously specific situations, etc., and I still get hugely excited to travel anywhere I can and play as many people as I can. Brawl doesn't seem like that type of game.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I don't think anyone was expecting freaking Melee 2.0, the more I hear that the more insane I become. I think what we expected was a freaking Smash game, and a game that never strayed from the core basics that made Smash bros such a great game, even from N64 Smash. Melee improved upon N64 smash so much, they didn't take anything important out of Melee that was in N64 and in fact I can't think of anything that was in N64 that wasn't in Melee (Useful things =x taunt canceling no county).

But Brawl doesn't seem to improve upon how the game plays, sure people have figured out a couple techs but the game is still very stripped of what it used to be. There's almost no way to combo your opponent effectively, no way to edgeguard because a lot of characters have rediculous recovery (Pit's recovery move is ******** :XXX I fell to the bottom of Brinstar and used my jumps, and then up+B, and continued my flight till I was all the way in the magnifying glass at the top of the screen. Try and edgeguard that.) and auto snap to the ledge too.

Brawl makes me sad. : (

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm just hoping that Brawl's Wavedash comes soon.

And by that, I mean the technique that leads the way towards everything else. It's kinda messianic, actually...man. I really am a Bishop's son. Bleh.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
argh. this is upsetting news. so what do you guys think you're going to do within the next few years? i'm wondering if brawl is becoming the Windows Vista of Smash.... it SOUNDS like melee may not be dead after all.

i, personally, am not making any decisions based off of your claims (which i trust whole-heartedly) to whether brawl is gonna be bad or good, or not playable in a competitive setting. i'm sure everyone's very eager to give it a chance.

hopefully the game will pick up sooner or later, which honestly i believe it will within the next year or so. it hasn't even been released yet.. whoooooooo

well, if it just crashes and burns and we all go back to melee, at least i have decent tech skillzz!!11!
but it's not gonna happen.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
all I know is Brawl came out *ahem* 5 days ago and most people have played it for less than 10 hours.
and people claim to already know the entire potential of the entire metagame of every character and every possibility of everything in the game. and have decided that its a "step back".

I wish i had that kind of video game insight.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
sb's being crappy again.....

@Tarnish: thank you soooooooooo much!! that conv. boosted my confidence 1023984%:grin:
that is terrific news. it's just what we've been talking about. like how i said clone characters aren't clones anymore. they are characters in their own right. and how ppl are saying "you can't combo" when the game's only been "out" for like 5 days. i know i'm repeating what has already been repeated, but it's the principle of the thing. the game's going to kick ***, and YOU, good sir, kick *** for finding that thread. whoopie! good stuff. funny how the thread was closed (gee, wonder why....)

@Sensai: indeed. i'm not saying anything until i see it for myself. of course after reading that thread, i'm feeling much better about it. we just gotta chill and wait for it to come. hopefully you can bring it this weekend and we can really see for ourselves what potential the game has. there are so many characters i must try out. so exciting.

oh, and apparently, luigi is a beast of a character if you didn't already hear. good news for you :)

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Tarnish: That was a long (and informative) thread. Thanks. Defniitely worth the read if you have 10 minutes or so.

I still gotta figure out who I'm playing Friday night. And my friend said it's likely that we'll be showing up on Saturday. The earlier we start the longer we play...dunno how late he's willing to stay out. Someone take the initiative (cough, Coach, Moogle) and offer up a suggestion.

[Edit:]

Interesting stuff...

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141632

Seems Diddy and Toon Link are pretty beastly. And I'll be God ****ED if Fox isn't good again...Marth seems to be the exact same (with a little more side B) sans the grab (thank the lord).

Zelda might be good...Sheik's been nerfed (again, thanks to whoever's throwing me a ****in' bone).

That's all, I'm done. Probably going to look at Metaknight and (<3) Olimar on Friday night. I know for sure that I'm not playing Ganon.

Sorry Ganon....we had fun, but I'mma need you to get the hell up outta here.

[Edit 2:]

One last thing...wasn't dash dancing out? If so...what the hell is all this **** that Luigi does towards the end of the match? Specifically, just right before 3 minutes.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_vq-xUMLM

Yeah, toon link looks good.

EDIT: And the next person who says "there are no combos" gets a punch in their vag hole. I mean seriously guys, do you not see that there are combos? Watch the video. Watch the combos.

EDIT2: This guy is good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY03UfhRNSA&feature=user

EDIt3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe5GG-H7Nsw&feature=user I like how wolf is looking (I also hear there are character specific taunts for after matches. I heard him say "star fox" at the end there, and someone translated one of Fox vs Falco's as "You're not ready, Falco" or something to that effect).

Top Bottom